• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

[FM13] NML Coaching Dynasty

NML

To try something different from my normal methodical way of team building in Football Manager, I've decided to do a journeyman dynasty - where I start as unemployed and have to work my way up the coaching ladder. I don't have a very good laptop, so I had to pick and choose what countries I could see myself working. As I move up, I can lower which leagues I keep active. Currently, here's what countries and lowest leagues I have loaded:

England - Conference N/S (6th tier)
France - National (3rd)
Germany - Third Division (3rd)
Holland - Eerste Divisie (2nd)
Italy - Serie C2 (4th)
USA - MLS (1st)

I've left MLS in there mostly as a companion, because I don't really anticipate coaching there. However, I think my "dream" job would be to coach the USMNT, so I'd like to keep the league active so that could become a possibility.

I don't really have any aims otherwise - I've never done one of these before so I'm interested to see how it goes. Here we go!

NML

Two early job applications submitted...

Screenshot3_zpsa7758bc6.png

Screenshot2_zps772bb521.png

NML

Screenshot4_zpsbd4ce782.png

- After getting denied by H&Y, Lincoln made me an offer and naturally I accepted. Weirdly, it's a league up from H&Y. Mid-table finish seems realistic.

Screenshot5_zpscda2b654.png

- Lincoln City have been a staple of the outskirts of league football, spending a majority of their years in League 2. Fresh off a relegation, however, they are looking to get back up.

Screenshot6_zps85814914.png

- All pretty reasonable requests.

The team was pretty barren when I took over - I imagine most of the quality left to stay in league football. So we didn't have anyone leave (outside of youngster sent out for loan) and I tried to stay smart with my purchases, bringing in mostly elite players to fill the gaps of the team on loan.

Screenshot7_zpsa3aede32.png

As you can see, once friendlies started, I didn't feel very confident in my defense, so we brought in two elite players on loan. Jon Stewart joins us on loan from Championship Burnley, and made 11 appearances in this league last season. Not great in terms of a sweeper keeper, which I'd prefer, but he does have a good leg and is an improvement over our current keeper. Luke Oliver and his 6'7" frame immediately steps in as our best player. Strong and an absolute beast in the air, I'm currently trying to find some speed to pair with him. We will see how the first few matches go. This is as of our first competitive game, so it's possible I'll look to bring a partner for Oliver in.

Still have quite a bit of salary room left, so definitely possible I could bring another player or two in. Interested to see how we start the season...

NML

Screenshot8_zps94aa1bf7.png

4-3-3 with the outside forward held back slightly - perhaps you'd call it a 4-5-1.

Striker comes back to bring others into the offense, needs to be good with the ball at his feet. Outside forwards make the runs inside and crash the box. Our outside service will come from the wing-backs pushing forward - they've got full authority to pump it into the box. Trio of midfielders all have a variety of jobs. We have our advanced playmaker who plays off the striker. Ball-winner in the center can drop back and cover the backline if we are trying to hold the lead, but he will often just look to get the ball to the other two. Our deep lying playmaker pulls the strings.

Normally I just run two center defenders, but getting Oliver made me rethink that. He's such a beast that I think the cover/stopper combo works well. Basically Oliver crashes onto the ball while the opposite CB will play the sweeper role and clean anything behind the line.

Goalie has since been switched to regular GK since Stewart isn't a great sweeper keeper.

NML

Lincoln_City_F.C._badge.png

2012-13 Lincoln City FC, Fall Update

Screenshot9_zpscdbb7df4.png

It's been a roller coaster this season. We've had good runs (2 straight wins, 4 unbeaten) followed by bad runs (5 losses in 6, 3 straight losses). I've been messing with tactics and lineup pretty consistently, so hopefully we will settle down at some point when I find the right group. Our star striker, Jamie Taylor, missed a couple weeks, during which we find it hard to get a result (those three straight losses). He's back and scoring at a great rate - he's got 10 goals and 3 assists in 15 appearances.

Screenshot10_zps51fb92f8.png

Despite the up and down season, we are perfectly positioned for our mid table finish. A good winter transfer window could propel us up - a couple spots on the team could use an upgrade.

FA Cup
Screenshot11_zps0c922a31.png

Also accomplished our FA Cup goal, taking care of business versus 7th tier side Matlock at home and collecting a nice $20k check. We got a favorable draw against 8th tier side Mangotsfield. We are on the road, so it won't be an easy game. Ideally, we advance and then get a nice payday on the road against a league side - or another easy draw, followed by a huge payday at an EPL club.

NML

Lincoln_City_F.C._badge.png

2012-13 Lincoln City FC, Winter Update

Screenshot12_zps53f0f5d6.png

The roller coaster hasn't stopped, although we did hit a nice run of form towards the end of January. Injuries hit us hard bro during the winter months - Jamie Taylor missed more weeks, Dan Gray our captain and right back missed almost a month, and we had three different left backs go down in the same game. Match congestion did us no favors either. However, the rest of the way, neither should be an issue. We are just about at 100% (probably while we were playing so well) and only have 12 matches over the final three months.

Screenshot17_zps79347b8d.png

We've fallen a little bit, but we are still positioned well for a late season run. And looks like we are on track for the mid table finish the board wanted.

Screenshot13_zps1fd4a399.png

We did take care of business, and actually played really well against League Two side Bristol Rovers. We knotted it up 1-1 in the 80th minute, but the scored in stoppage time to knock us out of the competition. Still, we got a round farther than we expected, and got quite a bit of money in the process.

Screenshot14_zpsa6e90237.png

This was a bummer. We had to go to the replay against fellow Conference Premier side Macclesfield, but got the job done on the road. We got a nice reward of a relegation-threatened Conference North side, but, again, failed to get the job done in round one and had to go to the replay. In what was a phenomenal game, we tied it up late in regulation before going to extra time. Both teams were exhausted and didn't create anything. It went to penalties which was amazing - they eventually won 17-16.

Screenshot15_zps703d6fcb.png
Screenshot16_zps6c9a03b7.png

Brought in a couple elite players to round out this team - they've gotten off to a good start.

----

Not in any real danger of losing my job, currently listed as "secure." A nice run here late could help me upgrade during the off-season, otherwise I'll likely be back with Lincoln again.