• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

FIFA 15

chibob

The game doesnt need a massive over hall in terms of gameplay, just mostly tweaks.

Saying that though, with the new generation of console id expect quite an upgrade in graphics. Not like it really needs it though.

Ill buy this game on day one just for updated rosters and shirts.

FIFA is a necessity.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
am chibob.

Didn't buy 14; the first time in a long time I hadn't grabbed FIFA on day one. I am chomping at the fucking bit for 15 to come out now.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Needs a massive overhaul in gameplay or just to revert to FIFA 11/12 gameplay. It's better on PS4 but still seems like a step down.

chibob

I disagree completely but its a hard one either way, I just adapt to the changes they make so im always happy with it.

Fifa 11 and 12 were too easy though, I could score from anywhere and if you had a pacey with level 4 skill moves you couldnt lose the ball.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I adapt to the changes too, but some of the things they have done have broke what was a good thing. Doesn't mean it's not a fun game, but as it's gotten more popular they have just "added" features that made gameplay kind of worse. Hopefully clerbs is improved.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I can't comment on 14. I agree with chibob that 11 and 12 were too easy to score. I was good for at least one corner-header goal a game, if not more. And with a diamond 4-4-2 I had a routine down with the RM or LM chipping the defense near the edge of the area, and the striker on that side picking up the ball and making an easy pass across the to the backside striker for a point blank shot. I had so many online quitters in that game.

Then in 13 they made you have to play defense on your own and it took me a long time to learn that. :laughing:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah 13 was probably the most solid. Whenever they killed the finesse shot.

chibob

Yeh the defense change was quite big learning curve. I played for so long without learning to properly defend and now its second nature.

I think the major issue with the current game is probably the argument that headers are OP. I agree and disagree with this, because in most cases its a mismatch. A right back trying to mark a big centre forward, so of course the CF is going to win the ball, but still I find that sometimes its unstoppable to defend against.

Passing is no longer OP, in 12 I could span L1 and X and move the ball everywhere without the opposition getting near, now you actually have to plan the passes.

Also finesse shot was crazy over powered too, get any space on the edge of the box and top corner everytime.

I was also scarily good at freekicks too on 13, I find I rarely win any on 14 though and when I do, I fuck them up.

jdlikewhoa

This not being out for another 3 months reel e pisses me off. I've got the fever with the WC going on right now.

@Reel you gonna cop this and play with us?

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
This not being out for another 3 months reel e pisses me off. I've got the fever with the WC going on right now.

@Reel you gonna cop this and play with us?

tumblr_inline_mi575oLrLE1qz4rgp.gif

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
At the rate reel plays games he'd have to quit every online match by the 30th minute

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I got invites to play at least 3 games with other people and at least 1 dude on my sack for not being able to play said games.

Must be doing something right

worst2first

Has there been anything new discussed other than graphics and minor physics improvements? I want more teams and a deeper Be A Pro mode. Let me start on a youth squad and work my way up.

When are we going to see a sports game that fully utilizes both the power and data storage of the new consoles?

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
animations of subs on the bench are substantive improvements?

How about doing something about the best defense being the nuanced "sprint into the guy with the ball and trigger a collision animation" defense?
How about the fact that referees still routinely show up wearing the same color as one of the teams?
How about the absurd percentage of rain games?
How about the complete lack of punishment/fatigue for sprinting, high pressure defense using the aforementioned defense?
How about the prevalence of scripted animations, bicycle kick clearances, poor switching on aerial balls and other AI cheats?

Not singling you out, yankee, but there are a lot of things I'd prefer to see addressed before thumbs-up animations...

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
No offense taken, I'm just the messenger. Agreed on those points, and they mostly seem to be easy fixes too.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
animations of subs on the bench are substantive improvements?

How about doing something about the best defense being the nuanced "sprint into the guy with the ball and trigger a collision animation" defense?
How about the fact that referees still routinely show up wearing the same color as one of the teams?
How about the absurd percentage of rain games?
How about the complete lack of punishment/fatigue for sprinting, high pressure defense using the aforementioned defense?
How about the prevalence of scripted animations, bicycle kick clearances, poor switching on aerial balls and other AI cheats?

Not singling you out, yankee, but there are a lot of things I'd prefer to see addressed before thumbs-up animations...

Something tells me they'd like to do these things, but it must be pretty hard to produce a game where it's still fun (with fairly realistic goal totals) that only takes 15 minutes to play per match.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Honestly, I would settle for a "guard wings/funnel inside" defensive tactic in place of some of the ridiculous ones that no one ever uses

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah, I would definitely like to see more AI tweaks available. I'm not sure why some of the stuff you can set in single player isn't available as a tactical adjustment online.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Matchmaking options

Accept matches with players who have chickens clucking over the mic in the background
Accept matches with players who average using all 35 seconds of each pause

worst2first

I'm not sure my response conveyed my meaning. I don't have an issue with what they've done but I would like to see substantive changes too. I don't consider the emotional programming a substantive change. It's a nice touch but let's fix the other issues please. I hope that they are waiting to discuss other improvements as we get closer to the release date.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I know Real Madrid will be the ultimate puber team in seasons mode, but I'm watching their game vs Roma right now, and those all pinks? Omg....pants off. Will be using them a lot.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Would expect nothing more

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It is a little disturbing that after focusing almost entirely on gameplay changes for 14, everything I've seen for 15 is cosmetic.

chibob

It is a little disturbing that after focusing almost entirely on gameplay changes for 14, everything I've seen for 15 is cosmetic.

Yeh I'm less than thrilled with what iv seen so far.

The only gameplay stuff iv seen is on the dribbling, which is just basically a big plus one for quick players with good feet. So basically everyone's FUT is going to be a bunch of track stars.

Chase

I will miss rainy nights in Molton Road. Give me the Brazilian League, Turkish League and actual UCL sponsorship than licensing 12 stadiums.

chibob

Authentic chants?

Somehow I dont really believe that.

The majority of football chants are derogatory, the only ones I can see them putting in the game are generic shite like 'chelsea, chelsea, chelsea'

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

I'm hoping the upgrade to PS4 will make all the necessary difference in the way the game feels for us guys coming from Ps3, but I have a feeling the dudes who had 14 on PS4 won't feel as much of a change. I think the FIFA crew is starting to get to that point where they are doing more harm than good with their gameplay "tweaks" anyway. The first touch stuff was a good idea in theory, but I think it is the prime reason for the clattering into people approach to defense. People have always tried that method, but in Fifa 11/12/13 you could just shred them by making a calm maneuver away from them... with 14 the first touch changes meant that you can't do those more nifty little maneuvers to avoid a sprinting defender as regularly. The addition of shielding helped a little bit in that regard, but I still don't think it was implemented well either, as it was mapped to the same button that was mapped to another "controlled" dribble type (that in effect didn't control the ball closely at all) so there are many instances when I try to shield the ball, but I'm not quite close enough for the game to pick up the context of the charging defender and I end up just ham-fisting the ball until they clatter into me.

Basically, it seems like everytime EA adds some control dynamic now they fail to consider how it really impacts the older controlling methods. The LT+RT dribble was really nice in FIFA 13 IMO, because you could essentially use it as a change of pace to let the sprinting trogs run by you before you accelerated out. Same thing with the fake shot. Those just doesn't work as well in 14 and because of the "realistic momentum" changes that force the player with the ball into a slower animation that allows the defender to recover. Unfortunately the defenders don't have that same disadvantage, so they can literally fall down and get back up and sprint into you while you try to exit a fake shot animation. It just feels exactly like that wall they ran into with Madden/NCAA where if you give too much control it feels unrealistic, but when they add in "realistic" momentum based slowdowns to their animation engine it just feels like the controls are sluggish.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I disagree on some of your assessment of the problem with the clatter defending. I think there's several other issues.

1) No players (outside of maybe Messi, Neymar, Robben) move with their respective real life agility. Chico Flores is a pretty nifty defender for a CB, IRL, so how is it I get caught in possession with him just trying to turn and pass in defense? This leads to increased "blitzkrieg" defending because it is so much harder to pass around that style of play than in real life. Additionally, passbacks to the keeper are incredibly dangerous and result in you having to 1 time it all the way down field or risk getting caught with it by a blitzing striker applying pressure. Friendly defenders don't drop to make themselves available on the wings like you see in real life.

2) Offensive AI still isn't smart enough to simply run into space. The runs that are made are generally regardless of the available real estate, nobody really seems to float into ungoverned pockets of space. So while in theory, barnstorming defenders should be leaving huge gaps, rarely are your compatriots actually moving into those gaps. This is never more exemplified than if you play a ball into space in front of a winger on the attack. 9/10 times, NOBODY comes to his aid. Nobody is in that massive gap triangle between the fullback, centerback, and trailing central midfielder, even if you're playing with 5 midfielders and a striker. The AI doesn't make the run with a central player that we can make in pro clubs (for OU to ignore in favor of steaming into the defender).

3) As @pavel despises, there is really no penalty for running guys to death trying to apply pressure. In real soccer, "pressure" is usually applied by approaching the player in possession while occupying a primary passing lane. In FIFA you don't need any such tactic, just a fast player to harangue the other team's defense and DMs. You can use up all the stamina and it barely matters (and you basically have 3 stamina-based subs - rarely do pubers actually sub to change tactics because everyone uses the same fucking tactic).

4) Similar to 3, there is no drawback to slamming into opposing players, because you can't quickly work around them very easily.

5) More fouls. They need to increase the amount of outcomes from physical contact that isn't initiated by an explicit tackle (using the slide or standing tackle).

6) Nerf the effectiveness of the counter-attack. Everyone I play now who uses Mexico runs that 5-3-2, sits ultra defensive, and just hopes that Giofaggo or Chicajoto can break free. The same goes for most Brazilian teams, and Colombia - sit ultra-defensive and just hope for a loose ball that you can launch downfield to Retardelli, Cuadrado, etc. Defensive AI needs to be improved to cut down these angles. Why is my fullback even letting these jokers get so wide to start with?

There's other issues too. I think the easiest fixes would be implementing real fatigue based injuries. Not that hamstring pull in the 88th minute, but like a guy who is run ragged taking a foul in the 70th and having to leave the game. Significant fatigue should also drastically diminish strength and overall speed, not just the length of time you can sprint. Additionally, sliding tackles should either be slower, take more time to get up from, or just generally not be as accurate. Lots of pubers use sliding behind the guy receiving the ball as a "legitimate" (in that it works) tactic online, rarely pick up cards, and don't leave a whole lot of space.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I agree with all of that, but most of that stuff has been around for several iterations. I'm just saying that the high pressure clatter defending became even MORE prevalent in 14 with their implementation of the ham-fisted "ball control." In past iterations you could at least burn an over-aggressive defenders by making nuanced movements with regular players when they had the ball. Now like 90% of the players in the game dribble/handle the ball at the speed of turning a cruise ship (this is to your chico flores point).

I just find it hilarious in this game that CBs can't dribble the ball at their own feet without tripping over their own dicks, but they CAN regularly execute overhead bicycle clearances.

So I guess I agree that the issues were always there, I'm just saying that the implementation of the first touch/ham-fisted control on the offensive side REALLY made the problems apparent.

worst2first

I've returned to FIFA (I think the last one I played before 14 was on the Sega Genesis) and soccer fandom after a long hiatus and I really only play in Be A Pro mode but a lot of what @Kella says makes sense to me.

chibob

Fifa always seems to find a way to be good or at least tolerable.

I remember back in the day I stopped playing FIFA when it first came out on the 360 and I started playing PES instead.

I stayed with PES until FIFA 08 when FIFA just ran away with it.

My point, is that no other football game comes close at the moment, and regardless of how they change it, for the better or worse, I still buy it because I cant go without my fix for a year.

I guess it is like people do with any EA sports games; but I still feel FIFA is always at least a good game if it cant be perfect.