• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Fantasy Football - Nobody cares about your fantasy football team so shut up about it

Heisman06

With the World Cup and NBA Free Agency (nearly) over, it's time to start looking forward to football. That includes fantasy football.

Guess I'll take the plunge and start the fantasy discussion thread. Hoping to get a pick in the 4-6 range. The top RB's are all pretty close so I'd rather get whoever falls and get a better player in the 2nd. If i had the #1, I'd be tempted to take Shady. Who would be your #1 pick?

Last year we had a keeper league on Utopia, I assume we're rolling that over @Packfan ?

worst2first

I'm playing in my cousin's league again. I won the consolation bracket last year so I have the first pick (snake draft). I would prefer to pick somewhere in the 3-5 range.

fsuprime

I have #3 pick based on netherlands in world cup haha.

A lot of smoke from the league so far so unsure of how it will shake out.

12 man traditional scoring. 3 wr. No flex

Keith1212

In the big money league I've been in for the past two years, I've got the last pick and I'm fine with it. Back to back picks are nice. I prefer to pick first or last generally. The scoring in this league is fucked though. I've put up with it for two years but this might be the last depending on how receptive the commish is to change.

Basically team d's have eight of the top ten scoring spots in his league because of his crap scoring. He talks so much shit that I play in his league just to shit on him(plus his league has weekly bonuses which have given me more than my money back every year so far) but with the league fee going from $300 to $600 and with this being my third year I think it's time for a change. I'm pushing for team d's scoring much less overall basically.

With the league I run, some people are advocating for removing some of the idp's. I have seven which matches the number of offensive players. I'm not completely opposed to it but I like the balance. I haven't set the draft date yet and I've still got three spots to fill (going from ten teams to twelve, got rid of the one bad owner). I had a few minor scoring changes to implement but I lost the changes I immediately wrote down after last season.

Keith1212

In the third league I'm in which I won the 'ship, I'm not sure what the commish has in store but it's been the same every year. Relatively small money but highly competitive and fun because I'm friends with and/or know everyone in this league. The commish is one of my closer friends actually and he won my league lol

Heisman06

We had a keeper auction league last year but no word yet if we're gonna continue. I think Pack is commish.

Heisman06

I remember choosing 2 players I wanted to keep so I would like to continue but I'm okay with doing another league if it doesn't work out. It was my first auction/keeper league so it was a little bit of an adjustment at first when it came to draft strategy but it worked out.

MSUFanatic

Had my family draft this year. Had the 12th pick in a 12 team league.

League starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, D, K

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Rashad Jennings, Ryan Mathews, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Mark Ingram
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Percy Harvin, Josh Gordon, Kelvin Benjamin, Hakeem Nicks
TE: Greg Olson
D: Houston (will stream)
K: Stream

Obviously RB is my weakness, but we start 3 WRs so I loaded up. Wasn't really ready to take Gio Bernard, or Montee Ball at the end of the 1st just to have a RB. We'll see what happens.

Heisman06

Going zero-RB when you have the 10th-12th picks isn't a bad strategy. Load up on WR's like you did and look to draft multiple RB's out of Spiller, Gore, Andre Ellington, Rashad Jennings and Toby Gerhardt in rounds 3/4. I like your Keenan Allen pick but another RB would've probably helped shore up some depth concerns. I understand going BPA with Allen though. I'm a fan.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Had a draft tonight. Got the #1 pick through a blind draw.

QB: Russell Wilson, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith
RB: AP, Le'Veon Bell, Darren Sproles, Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde
WR: Percy Harvin, Alshon Jeffery, Jeremy Maclin, Mike Wallace
TE: Jason Witten, Zach Ertz
D: Bengals
K: Noodle Leg Graham

ebarws6

stAy
My draft a few days back netted me this team: (I had the #5 pick, 12-team standard league)

QB [1]: Luck, Roethlisberger

Think I'm pretty set here. Got Luck in the 5th round I'm pretty sure, Roethlisberger pretty late.

RB [2]: Zac Stacy, Ben Tate, Chris Johnson, Andre Williams, Darren Sproles, Tre Mason

Didn't draft RBs early because of what was given to me so I just drafted a shit ton of them in hopes at least two work out. Definitely my weakest position. Not confident in this group to start the year but I think each has a decent amount of upside. We'll see.

WR [3]: Megatron, Alshon Jeffery, Brandin Cooks, Mike Evans, Josh Gordon

Probably the position I'm most happy with. Took Megatron over Eddie Lacy in the first, don't really regret it honestly, just the nature of having the #5 pick this year with the top 4 RBs being pretty clear. Happily took Gordon in the 13th (surprised no one got him earlier) in case he gets his suspension shortened/dismissed. Would be huge for a playoff run. I'm fairly confident at least one of Cooks/Evans will have a very good season. I might be able to trade one of these guys for some running back help if I need it.

TE [1]: Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron

Got Julius earlier than I thought I would have (4th round or something?) over Gronk. Ebron was just a final round pick up because whatever. I actually have dropped him already.

K [1]: Justin Tucker

Had him last season and liked him. Don't really know what there is to write about a kicker. Considering streaming, but if I drop Tucker I probably won't be able to get him back.

DEF [1]: None

This is where I got a little weird. All of last season I went week by week picking up defenses off of the waiver wire based on the best matchups (also aided by one guy who did analysis on /r/fantasyfootball, definitely recommend). I've already decided I'm going to do the same this year, so I just thought hey what the hell why waste a pick? Since the draft I dropped Ebron for the Philadelphia defense who is playing Jacksonville week 1. Not sure I'll stick with them in week 1 but I'll take a look at the projections leading up to it.

We do have one FLEX position for RB/WR/TE and I think I will have a lot to choose from from my huge group of RB/WR.

Overall I'm not really sure how to feel about this team, as it feels like I took some considerable risks going away from RBs and doing the whole defense thing again.

Last edited:

ebarws6

stAy
Had my family draft this year. Had the 12th pick in a 12 team league.

League starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, D, K

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Rashad Jennings, Ryan Mathews, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Mark Ingram
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Percy Harvin, Josh Gordon, Kelvin Benjamin, Hakeem Nicks
TE: Greg Olson
D: Houston (will stream)
K: Stream

Obviously RB is my weakness, but we start 3 WRs so I loaded up. Wasn't really ready to take Gio Bernard, or Montee Ball at the end of the 1st just to have a RB. We'll see what happens.

I kinda was in the same mindset with RBs, not taking ones that didn't really fit with my draft position just because I didn't have a top one. Streaming defenses/kickers I think is the way to go, more so with defenses though in my opinion because they are more affected by their matchup. I'd love to have a weekly discussion about streaming with those that will be doing so this year.

Had a draft tonight. Got the #1 pick through a blind draw.

QB: Russell Wilson, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith
RB: AP, Le'Veon Bell, Darren Sproles, Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde
WR: Percy Harvin, Alshon Jeffery, Jeremy Maclin, Mike Wallace
TE: Jason Witten, Zach Ertz
D: Bengals
K: Noodle Leg Graham

How many teams/what settings?

MSUFanatic

Going zero-RB when you have the 10th-12th picks isn't a bad strategy. Load up on WR's like you did and look to draft multiple RB's out of Spiller, Gore, Andre Ellington, Rashad Jennings and Toby Gerhardt in rounds 3/4. I like your Keenan Allen pick but another RB would've probably helped shore up some depth concerns. I understand going BPA with Allen though. I'm a fan.

Ya - I thought about it, but since we start 3 WRs, I'm pretty much saying I'm fine with getting beat at RB 2 position which is such a BS spot anyways. I basically had an option between Jennings, Sankey, Gore, Spiller, TRich, Gerhart. I took Jennings because he really is the guy at NYG and should definitely be guaranteed touches in that offense. I debated between Gore and Spiller but just felt like there are too many question marks with the other guys (Gore age dread 30+ and Spiller dealing with the fact that FJax just got PAID).

We'll see typically I'm taking a shit ton of RBs but last year all my top RBS who I thought would carry me completely busted (Rice, Ridley, MJD). Time for a new strategy.

Heisman06

I still believe in Gore and Spiller especially at their current ADP's. Gore isn't elite like he once was but still worth a 4th rounder. Top OL in football. Must handcuff with Hyde though. Spiller was slowed by an ankle injury last year and seems to have his wiggle back thus far. Obviously a risk but I'm happy with either as my #2.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Ya - I thought about it, but since we start 3 WRs, I'm pretty much saying I'm fine with getting beat at RB 2 position which is such a BS spot anyways. I basically had an option between Jennings, Sankey, Gore, Spiller, TRich, Gerhart. I took Jennings because he really is the guy at NYG and should definitely be guaranteed touches in that offense. I debated between Gore and Spiller but just felt like there are too many question marks with the other guys (Gore age dread 30+ and Spiller dealing with the fact that FJax just got PAID).

We'll see typically I'm taking a shit ton of RBs but last year all my top RBS who I thought would carry me completely busted (Rice, Ridley, MJD). Time for a new strategy.

I got screwed last year betting the farm on Ray Rice and Trent Richardson in two leagues (Rice and Jamaal Charles in another). May have more of a WR focus this year.

Heisman06

Think y'all are overreacting a bit here, fellas. RB's are invaluable in football if only because there's only 32 starting spots and about 10-15 quality starters per year. On the other hand, there are 64 starting WR's and 96 if you include slot receivers. Don't mistake your failures at the position for a lack of need. If anything, your mistakes at picking the wrong RB's a season ago should show you how valuable they truly are.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I picked a RB with my first two picks (#1 and #24). Took AP at #1 and then Le'Veon Bell at #24. Having the first pick, I had to take another with either pick #24 or #25. Otherwise, I waiting until picks #48 and #49 to get my second RB and quality just drops off too quickly compared to other positions. Grabbed Darren Sproles as my top reserve RB/Flex player. I think he could have a big year in Philly's offense especially if Chip Kelly goes with a two-back set of Sproles and McCoy.

MSUFanatic

Think y'all are overreacting a bit here, fellas. RB's are invaluable in football if only because there's only 32 starting spots and about 10-15 quality starters per year. On the other hand, there are 64 starting WR's and 96 if you include slot receivers. Don't mistake your failures at the position for a lack of need. If anything, your mistakes at picking the wrong RB's a season ago should show you how valuable they truly are.

That's the exact point. It is typically MUCH easier to pick a WR that won't bust in the 1/2 round than it is a RB in the same spot. I read that 7-10 RBS that will be selected in the Top 2 rounds won't finish in the Top 20 at the position. It's a total crapshoot as which RB will bust and which one won't.

I don't think anyone at the beginning of the year would had said Ray Rice, Ridley, or MJD would all blow and that my best runner would had been Ryan Mathews - from my fantasy team last year. On paper I had the best runners in the league and then Ray Rice fatted out and beat his fiancee, MJD well plays for the Jags, and Ridley got Belicheked.

Heisman06

It's also much easier to pick starting WR's in rounds 5 and beyond. My point is you want the BPA but getting 2 RB's in the first 4 rounds is essential to having overall team depth. Can you survive without it? Absolutely. But covering up deficiencies at RB is a lot harder than at QB and WR because of the sheer depth of those positions.

MSUFanatic

Heisman,

I just looked at this. Here were the Top 15 RBs consensus going into last year 2013. All these guys were probably taken within the first 2-3 rounds of standard 10 team league.

[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=top}
Name{/td}
{td=top}
Pre Ranking{/td}
{td=top}
Final Rank{/td}
{td=top}
Position Diff{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Adrian Peterson{/td}
{td=top}
1{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Arian Foster{/td}
{td=top}
2{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Marshawn Lynch{/td}
{td=top}
3{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Ray Rice{/td}
{td=top}
4{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Doug Martin{/td}
{td=top}
5{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Jamaal Charles{/td}
{td=top}
6{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
C.J. Spiller{/td}
{td=top}
7{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Trent Richardson{/td}
{td=top}
8{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Alfred Morris{/td}
{td=top}
9{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
LeSean McCoy{/td}
{td=top}
10{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Steven Jackson{/td}
{td=top}
11{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Matt Forte{/td}
{td=top}
12{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Stevan Ridley{/td}
{td=top}
13{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Frank Gore{/td}
{td=top}
14{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Chris Johnson{/td}
{td=top}
15{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
The average positional difference on taking one of those players was -9.06 between there pre-rank and final stat ranking. 9 of those players finished worse than what they were projected as a RB. That's 1 of your first two picks that you basically wasted.

Now for WRs. Obviously less elite players go off the board early, here were the top 10 WRs.

[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=top}
Calvin Johnson{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
A.J. Green{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Dez Bryant{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Brandon Marshall{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Julio Jones{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top} {/td}
{td=top} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Roddy White{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top} {/td}
{td=top} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Vincent Jackson{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Andre Johnson{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Randall Cobb{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top} {/td}
{td=top} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=top}
Larry Fitzgerald{/td}
{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}

{td=top}
{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Now you can probably throw out Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Cobb since they all missed significant time due to injury. Yet, you take one of the top 5 guys your deviation from projected is not that great. You take a top 5 WR early you are getting a top 7 guy barring injury. The only case I'm trying to make is that with your first few 2 rounds of picks, trying to figure out which RB is going to bust and which one isn't is a 50/50 game, whereas at WR you r odds of picking someone who completely falls off a cliff is not as likely. You keep saying you didn't pick one of the right RBs well that's like saying I didn't pick the right chamber while playing russian roulette.

Heisman06

I'm not disagreeing. Elite WR's are better than 2nd tier RB's. Obviously. But going WR in 3 of your first 4 picks means you better get lucky with those mid round RB handcuffs because the depth at RB is insufficient.

MSUFanatic

I'm not disagreeing. Elite WR's are better than 2nd tier RB's. Obviously. But going WR in 3 of your first 4 picks means you better get lucky with those mid round RB handcuffs because the depth at RB is insufficient.

You aren't getting what I am saying. That RB is a complete crapshoot everywhere no matter where you take them. Probably more of a risk taking them higher even.

MSUFanatic

Not to mention I won the 14 team Utopian league last year with a rag tag bunch of runners - Ray Rice, Ryan Mathews, and Stevan Ridley. I also had Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, and Jimmy Graham.

Heisman06

No, I get it. I just have confidence in myself to generally pick the right ones. Call it arrogance if you will. I wasn't touching Ray Rice, Steven Jackson or Trent Richardson at their ADP last season. And if you did, that's your bad. I did take Doug Martin last season who was lost in week 5 or so with a season-ending injury but I wasn't killed by it because I took Forte and Chris Johnson in rounds 2 and 3 and both played well above their ADP's.

Heisman06

Not to mention I won the 14 team Utopian league last year with a rag tag bunch of runners - Ray Rice, Ryan Mathews, and Stevan Ridley. I also had Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, and Jimmy Graham.

I remember. I had the best record in the league all season and lost to you in the championship. My team consisting of Forte, Gore, Pierre Garcon, Antonio Brown, Julius Thomas, Zac Stacy, Victor Cruz, Montee Ball, etc. was the deepest all season but just couldn't get it done in the end. How it goes.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Question:
I'm likely keeping Brandon Marshall as my 3rd round pick from last year. I have the #3 pick this year. In looking at rankings and guessing who will get kept by my opponents, I think there's a good chance Forte will be the best player available when I pick in the 1st.

If so, do I take him and pin my RB1 and WR1 hopes on da Bears, or take someone "worse" so as to not put my eggs in one basket, so to speak?

Heisman06

I'd go Demaryius/Dez/Green and look for RB's in 3rd/4th. ESPN or Yahoo? People tend to draft based on the set rankings with a slight variance on players they know, favorite teams, etc. ESPN's rankings have solid RB's like Gore, Spiller and Ellington in the 40's while Yahoo has Ellington in the teens, Spiller in the 30's and Gore in the 50's.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I'd go Demaryius/Dez/Green and look for RB's in 3rd/4th. ESPN or Yahoo? People tend to draft based on the set rankings with a slight variance on players they know, favorite teams, etc. ESPN's rankings have solid RB's like Gore, Spiller and Ellington in the 40's while Yahoo has Ellington in the teens, Spiller in the 30's and Gore in the 50's.

ESPN

I was actually thinking QB/WR then see whats around in 3 but yeah. 2 top WRs is a good play too. We only start 2 WRs and a Flex in this league. :dunno:

fiz

iswaycool
Question:
I'm likely keeping Brandon Marshall as my 3rd round pick from last year. I have the #3 pick this year. In looking at rankings and guessing who will get kept by my opponents, I think there's a good chance Forte will be the best player available when I pick in the 1st.

If so, do I take him and pin my RB1 and WR1 hopes on da Bears, or take someone "worse" so as to not put my eggs in one basket, so to speak?

pick the best player dude if it's forte so be it

fiz

iswaycool
feel like posting my auction team, check it out

QB - Tannehill
RB - D Martin, R Mathews, B Tate, T West, Pierre Thomas
WR - D Thomas, C Johnson, C Patterson, M Floyd, J Gordon (pleaaaase please pls pls), Marqise Lee
TE - Rudolph, Ertz
K - none currently
DST - Denver

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
my shit head team, in pick order

Eddie Lacy
AJ Green
Alshon Jeffrey
Randall Cobb
Vernon Davis
Joique Bell