• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Employees vs. Student-Athletes

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
True, but I don't think real life will be nearly as responsive to this stuff.*

By stuff I mean that horror show at Yale. I don't know enough about the Mizzou situation to say whether there is a real problem there.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Revisiting the Beckman thing, saw a tweet that as medical personnel were trying to stabilize a players neck Beckman told him to move his damn head(or something to that effect).

The report says that Beckman routinely challenged medical reports and injury reports by medical staff.

http://www.thechampaignroom.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Here is the entire report for anyone who cares. It sounds like it was really just on Beckman and was substantially worse than i thought it would be. It all seemed just like sour grapes from former players at first.

CJ_24

It seems Mizzou's footbaw team has been protesting since the Florida game.

(or has that joke already been made?)

atlbraves

The prospect of forfeiting a game is fascinating to me. I cant think of a time it has ever happened.

btw I came across this article that was posted on another msgboard about some crazy at Yale screaming at a professor about not creating a safe zone. It is a scary view into where we are going as a country. And I think it applies in some way to this story. We may scoff at this behavior now, but in 15-20 years these people will be running the country.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

To me, this is just slippery slope fearmongering, to me. Anything that invokes the "entitled millennial" canard is going to stir up panic, but it's just not rooted in any evidence.

I mean, just look at the anecdotes in the article - the "trigger warning guidelines" at Oberlin were quickly retracted after faculty pushback. The guy who was "found guilty of racial harassment" at IUPUI actually never faced any discipline, and received an apology from the university. Isn't that evidence that the "safe zone" nonsense actually isn't running amok?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
To me, this is just slippery slope fearmongering, to me. Anything that invokes the "entitled millennial" canard is going to stir up panic, but it's just not rooted in any evidence.

I mean, just look at the anecdotes in the article - the "trigger warning guidelines" at Oberlin were quickly retracted after faculty pushback. The guy who was "found guilty of racial harassment" at IUPUI actually never faced any discipline, and received an apology from the university. Isn't that evidence that the "safe zone" nonsense actually isn't running amok?

Yeah, but it's so much easier to have an uninformed, alarmist worldview.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I don't even know what's going on at Mizzou right now. It's like their protest merged with the Yale stupidity to create Some sort of vortex of hypocrisy.

Two days ago they were begging for media coverage, and now they are telling reporters to get lost and respect black spaces. Wat.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and felt that there were some legitimate grievances, but now this is just stupid.

Wooly

Harry S. Truman, Grant Wistrom and Dan Alexander came from Missouri, so fuck you surfer boy!

I think many of these students refuse to engage any idea that deviates or disagrees with their own. How can any of these people learn anything if they wont listen to a opposing point of view?

This is racist. Why? Because reasons. Wow such logic....

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
That fucking hunger strike kid is the son of a railroad tycoon and lives in a 1.3 million dollar mansion. Tell us more about our white privelege, you fucking fucks.

Most of this is the fault of the media for using Twitter as a source and not actually investigating or reporting anymore.

That fucking hunger strike kid is the son of a railroad tycoon and lives in a 1.3 million dollar mansion. Tell us more about our white privelege, you fucking fucks.

Most of this is the fault of the media for using Twitter as a source and not actually investigating or reporting anymore.

rich-kid-whitey.jpg

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Is he on a scholarship where I would need to reprise C. Thomas Howell's role in SoulMan to be eligible?

atlbraves

The school can't, but the president can at least attempt to appear sympathetic when horrible things happen on campus. I honestly don't think this situation would be happening if he weren't incompetent.

I still agree with this, I'm not a fan of discrediting the whole endeavor because some kids acted dumb. The amount of vitriol they've received for lawfully carrying out a demonstration (or, for being willing to put a real-life issue over FOOBAW) kind of shows why they felt the need to make this stand in the first place.

mongoose

Starting to get real sick of this shit. The twitter lynch mob is a fucking scourge on society.

‘Grow up, ’ tweets former Mizzou football star to students who slammed ‘hero’ professor

Dale Brigham thought he was doing the right thing.

As anonymous death threats against minorities swirled on social media Tuesday night, setting the college town of Columbia, Mo., on edge, the bespectacled Mizzou professor began receiving e-mails from terrified students.

“Good Evening Professor Brigham,” wrote an African American student in Brigham’s Nutritional Science 1034 class. “There are online threats at our school warning the minorities to not step on campus tomorrow. I am scared for my life therefore, I will not be attending class tomorrow. When can I makeup the exam?”

Brigham, a popular professor and fitness buff who volunteered with many Mizzou athletic teams and clubs, responded with a challenge.

“If you don’t feel safe coming to class, then don’t come to class,” Dale Brigham replied in an e-mail that appears to have been sent to his entire class. “I will be there, and there will be an exam administered in our class.
“If you give into bullies, they win. The only way bullies are defeated is by standing up to them. If we cancel the exam, they win; if we go through with it, they lose.
“I know which side I am on,” Brigham wrote. “You make your own choice.”

Dale-Brigham.jpg
Dale Brigham (University of Missouri)

Many minority students responded with anger and disbelief.

“That’s our lives in danger,” said Triniti, 19, an African American student of Brigham’s who asked The Post not to use her full name for fear of retaliation. “I don’t want to even touch campus. I don’t even want to leave my house, let alone go to campus.”

“My Teacher had the nerve to email me, ‘If we cancel class, then we let the bullies win.’ Like this is a game or something,” wrote another student on Twitter.
Soon the anger spilled beyond the confines of Brigham’s classroom. People posted his office phone number and e-mail address on Twitter

“How can [you] tell a student to face bullies when there are threats that he will die?” reads another e-mail posted to Twitter. “He is fear for his life and you are telling him to still risk his life to come to YOUR class to take a test? Are you kidding? These aren’t bullies we are talking about…”

By late Tuesday night, Brigham had apologized to students.

“I could have and should have used much better words in trying to say that we must stand up to hatred and not let those kind of people who make threats run our lives,” he wrote at least one class member.

But it was too late.

By Wednesday morning, the flood of criticism had become too much for the Missouri professor, whose most high-profile previous interaction with the media was an interview on the inelasticity of demand for peanut butter.

“The exam is cancelled,” Brigham wrote. “No one will have to come to class today. And, I am resigning my position.”

link

Maybe I just don't understand. But I don't really care to understand this shit. Probably my fault for even reading articles like this.

tumblr_mk326uDO5V1s99m4bo1_400.gif

Last edited:

Lightningwar

Administrator
We are all victims. Thinking our lives have become too easy in this country. Think people in the rest of the world struggling to eat have time to rage because a professor had the balls to suggest standing up to bullies is a way to defeat them? This guy said fuck it and resigned. I think the president and chancellor probably felt the same way. The insane are running the show on that campus now. Yale isnt far behind.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
That's what he gets for oppressing all those blacks with his white male privilege.

This shit has just gotten so out of whack it is starting to have the opposite effect, at least for me. I feel almost no sympathy for real victims of racism anymore because of stupid shit like this. It is hard to sift though the real injustices when the majority of it coming out is all manufactured horse shit.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
My question on that professor thing is - where the hell is the school administration? If there are threats circulating, the school should be the ones deciding what do to about them. If they are so bad, people shouldn't be coming to campus, then shut down the school.

I have a lot of problems with the reaction to that professor's email, but that is something that should not be in his hands.

atlbraves

lmao, that e-mail sounds like something straight out of the Ben Carson playbook. Nutritional Science 1034? did the teacher give $10 to the one kid that actually showed up?

Skeeter

Uber felon
How come I haven't heard outcry for the student body president to step down after he made up the whole kkk is on campus and I'm working with the national guard bullshit?

Or am I missing that nugget? :turrible:

Lightningwar

Administrator
How come I haven't heard outcry for the student body president to step down after he made up the whole kkk is on campus and I'm working with the national guard bullshit?

Or am I missing that nugget? :turrible:

He is a victim. Victims dont have to step down.