• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Employees vs. Student-Athletes

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I fully endorse giving degrees in varsity athletics. The musician kids get to have music degrees. I don't know why the football players don't get a football degree.

As for doing college over again, IDK. It's easy for me to think I wish I'd done astronomy instead. Or I wish I'd gone to med school. But if I was an astrophysicist today I'd probably be sitting here thinking I wish I could be a refugee attorney, so I mitigate my wistfulness by reminding myself that I'd be a wistful bitch no matter what.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't have any regrets about my career slash decision to go to law school. I mostly just think I should have taken better advantage of the time I had in college to learn more.

Not that I've learned much from that. I spend all my time posting on a message board doing work instead of something a little more intellectually stimulating.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
The biggest question I ask myself is whether I should have played football at all. Of course, if I hadn't played ball I wouldn't have gone to Miami. And I would have spent my college years surrounded by other nerdlingers. My whole perspective on life and the basis for my understanding of culture and society would be radically different.

For all I know, playing football kept me from being James Damore.

So I don't regret it. I'm 32 years old with bad knees and shoulders and God knows how many dead brain cells, and it was a huge pain in the ass time-wise that could have all been devoted to something else, but IDK. I think it made me more empathetic and well-rounded if nothing else.

But back to the point, the biggest issue is the NCAA's refusal to acknowledge the commitment required of varsity athletes in the first place. If you accept the NCAA's utter bullshit politically correct position that football requires 20 hours a week of added time, then you don't see what the big deal is.

CJ_24

I agree the information in the picture of the document could be more detailed. Couldn't everything. The person reporting that information, however, explicitly makes the statement that some schools require athletes to between selecting (or not selecting) certain majors or their scholarship. In other words, If they picked (or didn't pick) certain majors, they would lose their scholarship. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. But that is what the person reporting that information states. NML's personal barbs notwithstanding.

My only point (or more accurately, providing more evidence for a point made by many others) is that this information further undercuts the arguments against paying college atholetes. The argument against paying college atholetes it that they receive scholarships, i.e, a free education. The evidence here suggests that the atholetes are either deterred or outright prohibited from pursuing that education.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Somewhat interesting, is all the foreign mongs I know were smart enough to realize that going home with a fucking meaningless degree wouldn’t do them any good.

Every. Single. One. Majored in business. It’s generic in its own right but they knew they’d at least have the upper hand on 90% of their friends back home doing almost anything

As a business major myself, I'll tell you that business is also a pretty meaningless fucking degree.

Had a ton of footbaw players in several of my business classes, probably because the sociology and broadcast journalism classes were already filled up.

Looking back, I'd probably have been a better fit as an engineering major.

As far as student-atholetes not being allowed to take hard courses - I would tend to doubt that.

Heavily discouraged? Almost certainly. But actually barred from enrolling in a tough class? My guess is no. But a student choosing to take a tough course, and then being told by the teacher that no allowances will be allowed for practices and games, and the coaches of his team saying "getting a bad grade which might make you ineligible could lose you your scholarship" - I could totally see that happening.

But every team on every university has that one player who truly is the epitome of a student athlete, who is taking a tough major like biology or mathematics, is getting a 3.8 GPA, and is also managing to devote 40 hours a week to their sport.