• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I wonder how much more money the SEC schools make than if there were six 10 team power conferences. I think ESPN is just pushing this to consolidate their payments.

CJ_24

I'm probably missing facts on the financial side, but it feels to me like this latest round of conference imperialism is cutting off their nose to spite their face. At some point the SEC and B1G or ACC or whoever would seem to become so bloated that there will be diminishing returns. On and off the field.

The on field aspect is easy. Texas and OU are going to become perennially worse by joining the SEC. Same thing that happened to Mizzou and A&M. Off the field, once the novelty wears off, who's going to give a shit about 4-3 OU playing 7-0 Bama in the middle of October? Playing it out even further, if the conferences continue to expand, it's would seem to subvert the playoff system: either A) the power conference try to replace the schools that left (i.e., osu taking OU's place as the big 12 perennial playoff representative), or B) two conferences absorb all the great teams and convert the sport into a postseason that looks a lot more like the NFL playoffs, with the SEC as the NFC and the ACC as the AFC or something similar.

I don't think this model is sustainable. Model A doesn't seem sustainable because teams like osu don't have the same cache as ou. A playoff where Bama and Ohio State are the SEC reps, while Oklahoma state reps the big 12 and undefeated West Virginia makes it from the big ten doesn't hold the same water as ND-Bamer-OU. Model B doesn't work because there are too many teams on the outside. If there are six teams from each of two conferences that make the playoff, what happens to the remaining 100+? Will there be a doubleheader of a Minnesota-oregon state rose bowl followed by 8-4 Oklahoma against 9-3 Ohio state "wild card" game?

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but this whole imperialism kick seems like it's going to end poorly

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY

Yeah, no sense in the Big Ten considering expansion until the ACC is near the end of its current contracts to give them more (better) options, but that's over a decade away. The American wants to poach from the remaining Big 12 schools instead of the other way around but we'll see.

Lightningwar

Administrator
B1G isn't going to take any of the Big 12 leftovers. The SEC just engineered a massive move to increase the value of the conference significantly and that increased the strength of SEC football that much more. Responding with Kansas and Iowa State is like if the SEC had gone out and added Duke and Texas Tech. Why the hell would you do that? Adding KU and ISU is like getting shot at with a .50 cal and responding with a BB gun. The B1G will move strategically to enhance the value of the conference, even if that means waiting a bit to be able to raid the ACC.

afaik ND is not subject to the ACC GOR. Available right now for the plucking.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

Snorky's Shame

Pretty good read and

The writer made a great point about the sport becoming regionalized. The Northeast already doesn’t care. The West Coast is getting there and I’d say Chicago doesn’t care. Not a good look to have the five biggest markets in the country not care about your sport.

The only truly national college sport would then be basketball and there’s no guarantee the best high school talent will play there in the future. Personally speaking, there’s no way I’m watching CBB if none of the talent is NBA potential.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

tenor.gif

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Then don't complain about 3:30 pm eastern as the conference's earliest kickoff time. No one has time for Arizona-Oregon State in the Big NOON Kickoff.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I don't really see a good reason for B1G or Pac-12 to expand other than the sake of expansion.

The writer made a great point about the sport becoming regionalized. The Northeast already doesn’t care. The West Coast is getting there and I’d say Chicago doesn’t care. Not a good look to have the five biggest markets in the country not care about your sport.

The only truly national college sport would then be basketball and there’s no guarantee the best high school talent will play there in the future. Personally speaking, there’s no way I’m watching CBB if none of the talent is NBA potential.
Youth participation with football is steadily declining over the last 10-15 years too.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I always thought mountain time would be the sweet spot for sports viewing purposes. PST everything starts too early. EST and games don't get over until after midnight. CST is good but I usually have to make a decision around half-time whether a game is worth staying up for or not.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I always thought mountain time would be the sweet spot for sports viewing purposes. PST everything starts too early. EST and games don't get over until after midnight. CST is good but I usually have to make a decision around half-time whether a game is worth staying up for or not.

I think it's by a significant margin the least-populated time zone we have. It may be a great time zone but as far as EAST COAST time zone elitism goes, nobody cares.

Renegade

Charge on!
Longhorn Network killed the Big 12 twice :laughing:

Yeah, this is pretty much the meme from Pulp Fiction. Texas shoots the Big 12 in the head and says the car hit a bump. Except Texas caused the bump by running off Colorado, Nebraska, A&M, and Missouri with the LHN in the first place.

Snorky's Shame

I don't really see a good reason for B1G or Pac-12 to expand other than the sake of expansion.

Youth participation with football is steadily declining over the last 10-15 years too.

Agreed. The talent level in Illinois has gone down significantly. Yet schools are stupid enough to over-recruit this state.