• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

Snorky's Shame

I really hope Baylor ends up in CUSA or the Sun Belt when this is said and done. The 5 teams the AAC tried to steal were reportedly Kansas, Iowa St., Oklahoma St., West Virginia, and Texas Tech. I'm guessing TCU and K-State would have gone to the MWC with Baylor being the odd man out. Or maybe they can join the WAC for the other sports and play FB as an independent. I don't really care...I just want them to be the biggest loser in this deal.

The Southland. There’s a lot of room there.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
If they do pods, I've seen on TWATTER that this is the most likely configuration

West: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
Bayou: LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Texas A&M
Central: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Play every team in your pod every year and two from each of the other pods for a nine-game conference slate; every team gets to host every other team at least once in a four-year period. This keeps the pods pretty balanced for the most part, although it does split up some big rivalries. Texas-Texas A&M has already been on hiatus so that's not as big a deal, but it also means that we won't get Auburn-Georgia, Arkansas-LSU, or Alabama-LSU every year, among others. I wonder how that will be solved.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, but they have almost 30 years of history with LSU and the Mississippi schools now

Snorky's Shame

I thought you could do pods but have a permanent team in each pod and rotate among the other three teams in the pod so you go six years between visits. It didn’t look good in practice though.

Florida: Vanderbilt, Louisiana State, Texas
Georgia: Auburn, Mississippi, Oklahoma
Kentucky: Tennessee, Mississippi State, Texas A&M
South Carolina: Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri

Alabama: South Carolina, Texas A&M, Louisiana State
Auburn: Georgia, Oklahoma, Mississippi State
Tennessee: Kentucky, Texas, Arkansas
Vanderbilt: Florida, Missouri, Mississippi

Arkansas: Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee
Louisiana State: Texas A&M, Florida, Alabama
Mississippi: Texas, Georgia, Vanderbilt
Mississippi State: Oklahoma, Kentucky, Auburn

Missouri: Arkansas, Vanderbilt, South Carolina
Oklahoma: Mississippi State, Auburn, Georgia
Texas: Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida
Texas A&M: Louisiana State, Alabama, Kentucky

Screw it, stick to two divisions, put Oklahoma and Texas in the West and have Alabama, Auburn and Missouri switch divisions. No permanent opponents.

Snorky's Shame

How do you decide who plays in the SEC shampship game? add a semifinal game?

I guess they would get rid of divisions and just take the two best records to face off in Atlanta.

What happens if there’s a three-way tie at the top and none of the schools played each other? Or a situation where Oklahoma goes 8-1 and beats out Florida at 7-2 for second but Florida played a much tougher schedule. Only playing 60% of your conference doesn’t seem right but 8/13 like the ACC is similar to 9/15.

Brick

I guess they would get rid of divisions and just take the two best records to face off in Atlanta.

What happens if there’s a three-way tie at the top and none of the schools played each other? Or a situation where Oklahoma goes 8-1 and beats out Florida at 7-2 for second but Florida played a much tougher schedule. Only playing 60% of your conference doesn’t seem right but 8/13 like the ACC is similar to 9/15.
you think a 1 vs. 2 loss scenario is tricky? bahahahahahaha. wait until 4-4 bama wins their division via 3 way tiebreaker and EARNS IT ON DA FIELD in the semifinals and finals. just wait.

i saw how people treated oregon's fake COVID pac-12 shampship. PROVED IT ON DA FIELD HAVE THE TROPHY, DONT THEY?

this gonna be entertaining at least.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
30 game home and home round robin top record is national champion no need for playoffs. Put in a few bye weeks we can have football 36 weeks of the year. Take off 4 summer months so minor sport baseball isn’t completely overshadowed.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
30 game home and home round robin top record is national champion no need for playoffs. Put in a few bye weeks we can have football 36 weeks of the year. Take off 4 summer months so minor sport baseball isn’t completely overshadowed.
ESPN likes this

NML

not sure why they arent playing year round already. go ahead and create a few giant conferences that play each other once. combine it with a champions league style playoff of the top x teams from each group. stagger kick-off times and dates and pretty sure this would just print money for everybody. ncaa has no purpose at this point so just move on. anything outside of the top 50 teams are basically 1-aa anyways. apologies to that one ucf fan we have

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
not sure why they arent playing year round already. go ahead and create a few giant conferences that play each other once. combine it with a champions league style playoff of the top x teams from each group. stagger kick-off times and dates and pretty sure this would just print money for everybody. ncaa has no purpose at this point so just move on. anything outside of the top 50 teams are basically 1-aa anyways. apologies to that one ucf fan we have
Idk man, having a newish stadium that's so rickety you give it the nickname "The Bounce House" sounds pretty top tier to me.

(I would like to see UCF in P4 tho tbh)

Renegade

Charge on!

Ah yeah, turning college football into the NFL is going to be a rousing success. The SEC is going to kill the golden goose here.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I think you are wrong.

The best part of the NFL is the playoffs. The worst part of college football is the post season. It is total ass. Including all the CCGs there are like 4 games that matter.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni

hey MAN! thur R 2 of us.

NML

Ah yeah, turning college football into the NFL is going to be a rousing success. The SEC is going to kill the golden goose here.

lol the nfl makes about double the next closest professional league in the world. why wouldnt they look to replicate that?

also, the sec is the golden goose now

hey MAN! thur R 2 of us.

ur in the wvu fans group in my mind

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
lol the nfl makes about double the next closest professional league in the world. why wouldnt they look to replicate that?

I'm akin to a Salt Peel in South African parlance. One foot in WV one foot in FL, johnson in the Atlantic.

Sorry that's soutpiel upon review. Ma'southafrican former co-worker who was terminated for time card fraud by giving his direct report he was banging more PTO never spelled it out.

Renegade

Charge on!

Because there's no reason to watch CFB if you can just watch elite players in the NFL. There's no competitive differentiation, and so the college fanbase will shrink even more than it already has. The only thing that keeps college basketball relevant is the unique setup for March Madness. I'm sure the SEC will change that too so that we can have the same 16 to 24 teams every year in that.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I would like the hugest football programs to break away and form thur own division so that we can tax them as the for-profit entities they actually are.

NML

Because there's no reason to watch CFB if you can just watch elite players in the NFL. There's no competitive differentiation, and so the college fanbase will shrink even more than it already has. The only thing that keeps college basketball relevant is the unique setup for March Madness. I'm sure the SEC will change that too so that we can have the same 16 to 24 teams every year in that.

people watch cfb because 1) they have attachments to schools they attended and/or weird attachments to a big school in their state and 2) the nfl isnt on

neither of those is changing. and the same is true of ur cbb example - people watch march madness because its on at 12:00 on a thursday, not because they are dying to see florida gulf coast vs creighton

Renegade

Charge on!
people watch cfb because 1) they have attachments to schools they attended and/or weird attachments to a big school in their state and 2) the nfl isnt on

neither of those is changing. and the same is true of ur cbb example - people watch march madness because its on at 12:00 on a thursday, not because they are dying to see florida gulf coast vs creighton

You couldn't be more wrong. People watch March Madness to see the upsets and the, you know, Madness. No one would bother watching a regular season game at noon on Thursday just because it's on.

And a lot of those CFB fans are about to see their teams relegated to irrelevance. An Iowa State fan isn't going to change their fandom to Iowa just because Iowa is still in a big boy conference. This is going to shrink CFB's fan base and reduce the competitive differentiation with the NFL. It's the same reason there's so many soccer fans in the US that won't watch MLS but will watch the EPL...why watch minor league mediocrity when you can watch the same thing with elite players?

coogrfan

The best part of the NFL is the playoffs. The worst part of college football is the post season. It is total ass. Including all the CCGs there are like 4 games that matter.

I disagree. The best thing about the NFL is the common draft. Your favorite team can be complete garbage, but at least you still have hope that they will get better.

That ain't happening in a semi-pro "haves only" league. If recruiting is the only method available to acquire talent there will be a more or less permanent hierarchy: a few schools at or near the top every year, a bunch in the middle, and a group at the bottom who will likely be stuck there in perpetuity. Thanks, but no thanks.

Renegade

Charge on!
I disagree. The best thing about the NFL is the common draft. Your favorite team can be complete garbage, but at least you still have hope that they will get better.

That ain't happening in a semi-pro "haves only" league. If recruiting is the only method available to acquire talent there will be a more or less permanent hierarchy: a few schools at or near the top every year, a bunch in the middle, and a group at the bottom who will likely be stuck there in perpetuity. Thanks, but no thanks.

If we're going to this shit, we just need to end the whole student-athlete farce. There are soccer clubs in Europe and Latin America that are or were based around affiliation with colleges. BYU's men's soccer team isn't in the NCAA - they played in the Premier Development League - USL League Two - until a couple of years ago with semi-pro guys. I think they've downgraded it to a club team now, but basically this is what needs to be done if all this bullshit continues. Form it as a pro league, players get drafted not recruited, pay the players per game like any other pro-sport, and they don't even have to be enrolled students. Not sure what the point of it is at that point, but at least it'd be honest. Oh, and tax the hell out of it...none of this nonprofit/governmental university non-taxed bullshit.

NML

And a lot of those CFB fans are about to see their teams relegated to irrelevance. An Iowa State fan isn't going to change their fandom to Iowa just because Iowa is still in a big boy conference. This is going to shrink CFB's fan base and reduce the competitive differentiation with the NFL. It's the same reason there's so many soccer fans in the US that won't watch MLS but will watch the EPL...why watch minor league mediocrity when you can watch the same thing with elite players?

if they aren’t going to change their fandom due to conference realignment, then why is the fan base shrinking? either realignment has an effect on fans or it doesn’t.

the mls/epl comparison is really bad too. epl is around 400k vi per game, while mls is around 300k. it’s a difference but it’s not noticeable. people just don’t really care about soccer period in the usa

pretty sure that’s exactly what we have now

coogrfan

pretty sure that’s exactly what we have now

Fair enough.

Here's the problem: in a semi-pro league like Renegade is describing, you're gonna see teams facing more good teams than they used to. That means there are going to be a bunch of formerly elite programs going 7-5/6-6/5-7 on a regular basis. How you gonna sell that to alums who are accustomed to thinking of an 8 win season as a down year?