• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Conference Constipation Thread 2.0

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Long term, I’d worry about a sport where the Northeast and West Coast don’t care about it. I mean the Northeast already doesn’t give a shit (I’d add Chicago too, to be honest) the West Coast not caring doesn’t look good to advertisers and the like.

Yeah it's not good for the sport but California has bigger fish to fry than college football. Same with the Northeast.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Wait what's going on here

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
The other conferences aren't going to sit around while the SEC goes to 16 and doubles them up on earnings. 16 team super conferences inc.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think the article I saw (probably on reddit) was about the Big XII adding UCF/BYU/Houston and one more that I cant remember, maybe Cincy. That wouldn't be a bad conference. It'll probably never happen because of all the reasons but it would be pretty balanced and FUN.

Snorky's Shame

The other conferences aren't going to sit around while the SEC goes to 16 and doubles them up on earnings. 16 team super conferences inc.

What schools are out there that the PAC-12 can get to go to 16 without significantly reducing the per-school payout and/or brings the academics and research that the conference likes? The B1G and ACC have options the PAC-12 doesn’t.

Remember there’s more money on the research side than on the athletics side.

Renegade

Charge on!

They’re only going to make moves if those moves really add value. Not sure Kansas and ISU do for the B1G. They can wait around for the ACC GoR to expire and try to take better properties. ACC isn’t going to move right now unless they can get Notre Dame.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Any expansion would include a renegotiated TV contract so "diluting the payout" is a pretty irrelevant concern unless they think that they'd lose on even a renegotiated deal.

Snorky's Shame

Any expansion would include a renegotiated TV contract so "diluting the payout" is a pretty irrelevant concern unless they think that they'd lose on even a renegotiated deal.

There’s no maybe about it with the PAC-12. They would lose money if they added any those 8 schools.

Going from 12 teams sharing $360 million to 16 teams sharing $400 million on a renegotiated contract is a big loss. I know those aren’t the real numbers but just using them to make a point.

EDIT: PAC-12 gives out $32 million per year per school in TV money. Does any combination of the remaining 8 schools bring in an extra $128 million? I wouldn’t even argue no, I’d just flat out say it.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
What schools are out there that the PAC-12 can get to go to 16 without significantly reducing the per-school payout and/or brings the academics and research that the conference likes? The B1G and ACC have options the PAC-12 doesn’t.

Remember there’s more money on the research side than on the athletics side.

Wyoming & Idaho? The cross-border rivalry between WSU & Idaho would be pretty cool.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The big ten already has Minnesota, Illinois, Purdont, Windiana, Buttgers, and Northwestern, not sure how ISU and Kansas couldn't add more value than them. At least Northwestern is smart.

wEPWpMx.gif

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Pac-12 has all but given up on being relevant in football. They're dead in the water and they seem fine with it. A few of the schools less focused on book learnin' could break away but that's still a lot of travel if they link up with what's left of the Big 12 or anyone else east of the Rockies.

Unless the Big Ten or ACC come calling for Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech, West Virginia, or Oklahoma State, the Big 12 remnants should snag the best of the G6. Playoff expansion would keep them from being completely left behind as well.

The Pac already sold out when they took Utah and Lolorado, which never made sense in the first place to me to me.

In a football sense, there's really only one fanbase, maybe two in the whole Pac that actually cares about footbaw, and the USC administration seems to be angling more and more every year toward trying to be Stanford-lite. We will continue to churn out shampships in women's water polo, golf, tennis, and other rich white people sports (like crew) while our football programs will continue to be more and more MWC caliber.

Oregon should become a big destination with NIL in play now and Nike able to basically flat out buy players, but Cristobal ain't gonna do shit. (Yes, except continue to beat USC)

coogrfan

Chairman of the appropriations committee, I think. Everyone knew then that Richards and her staff were putting the heat on for Baylor to not be left behind. I think Texas dems have tried to minimize Richards role in all this so they could show how they were all about good government and not wasting time on such unimportant stuff.

Lt. Gov Bob Bullock (alum of both BU & TT) and Speaker of the House Pete Laney (TT alum) had a lot more to do with it than Richards did. It was Bullock who threatened to cut UT and TAMU's funding if they didn't take BU and Tech with them. He was able to do so because our Lt. Gov controls both the work of the Senate and is also leader of the Legislative Budget Board.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lt. Gov Bob Bullock (alum of both BU & TT) and Speaker of the House Pete Laney (TT alum) had a lot more to do with it than Richards did. It was Bullock who threatened to cut UT and TAMU's funding if they didn't take BU and Tech with them. He was able to do so because our Lt. Gov controls both the work of the Senate and is also leader of the Legislative Budget Board.
That's the guy I was thinking of

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

I had to look it up- the guy I was talking about on the finance committee was David Sibley. He enlisted Bullock and a couple other legislators. I'd love to read something though about how the narrative has shifted from "Ann Richards did this" to "Ann Richards was too busy being the best dang governor she could be to get involved with this."

Snorky's Shame

The Pac already sold out when they took Utah and Lolorado, which never made sense in the first place to me to me.

In a football sense, there's really only one fanbase, maybe two in the whole Pac that actually cares about footbaw, and the USC administration seems to be angling more and more every year toward trying to be Stanford-lite. We will continue to churn out shampships in women's water polo, golf, tennis, and other rich white people sports (like crew) while our football programs will continue to be more and more MWC caliber.

Oregon should become a big destination with NIL in play now and Nike able to basically flat out buy players, but Cristobal ain't gonna do shit. (Yes, except continue to beat USC)

From what I’ve heard out there is that the students at the 4 California schools just don’t care about the teams at the schools. With the acceptance rates at those schools being so low, they’ve kind of been turned into nerd schools.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
The substantial increase in revenue for OU should speed up some badly needed renovations/investments, namely baseball, basketball, and softball. They're already a bottom-tier SEC team in baseball at this moment, both in quality of the roster and the facilities. The softball dynasty deserves top-notch facilities. The Lloyd Noble Center sucks in pretty much every way and needs to be replaced; it's a large reason why OU hoops has a hard time sparking enthusiasm. And they're only halfway through their planned Memorial Stadium renovations. That West side upper deck...woof.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
SEC wants to dominate even more than they already do. I know the ACC is under contract until 2035 but contracts can be broken for the right price. I’m sure they would love Clemson, FSU, possibly others. Money talks.