• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

College Football Offseason Thread Presented by Joe Mixon's Punch-Out!!

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Why does McElwain wear a slicker in the middle of summer in sunny Florida? I suspect it's that he's a cold blooded lizard person. A normal human would boil.

Brick

LEGOOOO
7779283104a22c266bcdc1864867c08e.jpg

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yep, looks real fishy to me. He needs to add some 3's in those divisional finishes before he's worth that kind of scratch.

-YTC

No trolling, if I were a Penn State fan, I would be concerned that Franklin has been only an average to slightly above average coach while at Penn State and that last year proves to be a fluke. While Penn State was clearly a lot better last year than it had been in the past, they got really lucky at times. What ifs are generally dumb, but does Penn State have a winning record if they don't pull out that game against Minnesota last year? They finish 3rd in the division if they don't block a kick and return it for a TD against Ohio State.

Penn State is also running a distant third to OSU and Michigan recruiting over the past couple of years, so they likely won't be able to match that talent most years. Plus, what happens if Joe Moorhead leaves? Their offense was awful before him, and it wasn't all on Hackenberg.

The point being that if you're an elite program that's in the mix for conference and/or national titles every year, who cares if you make it to the promised land one year on flukes? That's sort of how it happens. But when you get a bunch of flukes and the longer term record is being mediocre, I would assume you would fall back towards being mediocre. Especially since James Franklin didn't suddenly become a game management savant last year. If Penn State is really good again this year, then I will revise my opinion. But I think they'll be good but fall well short of last year and go back to being a consistent 8-4 type team.

To bring it back to Harbaugh as I know you love to do, Harbaugh would need 9 losses this year to match the amount of losses Franklin has had in his first three years in Happy Valley in his first three years at Michigan.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
No trolling, if I were a Penn State fan, I would be concerned that Franklin has been only an average to slightly above average coach while at Penn State and that last year proves to be a fluke. While Penn State was clearly a lot better last year than it had been in the past, they got really lucky at times. What ifs are generally dumb, but does Penn State have a winning record if they don't pull out that game against Minnesota last year? They finish 3rd in the division if they don't block a kick and return it for a TD against Ohio State.

Penn State is also running a distant third to OSU and Michigan recruiting over the past couple of years, so they likely won't be able to match that talent most years. Plus, what happens if Joe Moorhead leaves? Their offense was awful before him, and it wasn't all on Hackenberg.

The point being that if you're an elite program that's in the mix for conference and/or national titles every year, who cares if you make it to the promised land one year on flukes? That's sort of how it happens. But when you get a bunch of flukes and the longer term record is being mediocre, I would assume you would fall back towards being mediocre. Especially since James Franklin didn't suddenly become a game management savant last year. If Penn State is really good again this year, then I will revise my opinion. But I think they'll be good but fall well short of last year and go back to being a consistent 8-4 type team.

To bring it back to Harbaugh as I know you love to do, Harbaugh would need 9 losses this year to match the amount of losses Franklin has had in his first three years in Happy Valley in his first three years at Michigan.

That's probably what I'd be telling myself too if I were a Michigan fan.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

-YTC

Seriously, fuck off. If you don't want to have a real conversation about this, why are you even replying? Even fucking Hachiko shit posts less than you do at this point.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

-YTC

Doesn't take a Michigan fan to know that's correct. Franklin is easily the shittiest corch at the three big (B1G) programs in the Big Ten East and is also far worse than Dantonio. Wouldn't be surprised if they started losing to Maryland either, given how Durkin is CROOTIN'

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
In Franklins and Pedo States defense. They did come off near death penalty status. While Harbaugh inherited a roster full of under developed NFL talent from Chris Christies slightly less fat brother.

Yeah, that is the wild card, plus, winning 9 games with Vandy is like winning a conference championship. On the other hand, their offense line has been dreadful since Franklin got there, and they were actually still really bad at run blocking last year (they were good at pass blocking, though). And they arguably got worse when Franklin started.

I'd also say that Michigan's NFL talent would not have been NFL talent if Hoke stayed at Michigan.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Seriously, fuck off. If you don't want to have a real conversation about this, why are you even replying? Even fucking Hachiko shit posts less than you do at this point.

A real conversation about what?

Franklin's conference record has improved every year he's been in the B1G. Recruiting has improved every year (and currently has the #4 class in the country). Coaching staff has improved each year. Program perception has improved every year. What's not to love?

As for your "what ifs", I agree completely that the Minnesota game was the most important game of the 2016 season, and a failed comeback there completely changes the outlook for the year. As for whether or not they would have finished in 3rd place, I'll leave that to the experts who know what a 3rd place team looks like, year in and year out.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Doesn't take a Michigan fan to know that's correct. Franklin is easily the shittiest corch at the three big (B1G) programs in the Big Ten East and is also far worse than Dantonio. Wouldn't be surprised if they started losing to Maryland either, given how Durkin is CROOTIN'

I don't know about that. Maryland was really bad last year - the best team they beat was MSU. Durkin is recruiting well, but uh, they've got a long way to go.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Yeah, that is the wild card, plus, winning 9 games with Vandy is like winning a conference championship. On the other hand, their offense line has been dreadful since Franklin got there, and they were actually still really bad at run blocking last year (they were good at pass blocking, though). And they arguably got worse when Franklin started.

I'd also say that Michigan's NFL talent would not have been NFL talent if Hoke stayed at Michigan.

When Franklin arrived at PSU, there were 7 scholarship offensive linemen at PSU. Think about that for a second. 7. Not even enough to fill out a 2 deep.

-YTC

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I don't know about that. Maryland was really bad last year - the best team they beat was MSU. Durkin is recruiting well, but uh, they've got a long way to go.

Yeah, but they were horrible under Edsell; they probably overperformed last year. They'll take a step back this year, but should be a solid team going forward.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I mean, dude wins a B1G shampship 3 years after crippling sanctions, has been recruiting his ass off, building the program image from the gawd-awful place it was at, and I've still got to defend him?

GTFO with "No trolling, but..."

Is the the best corch in CFB? No. Is he the best corch in the B1G East? No. But he's the best PSU can do right now, and I'm damn glad he's my favorite team's head corch.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
A real conversation about what?

Franklin's conference record has improved every year he's been in the B1G. Recruiting has improved every year (and currently has the #4 class in the country). Coaching staff has improved each year. Program perception has improved every year. What's not to love?

As for your "what ifs", I agree completely that the Minnesota game was the most important game of the 2016 season, and a failed comeback there completely changes the outlook for the year. As for whether or not they would have finished in 3rd place, I'll leave that to the experts who know what a 3rd place team looks like, year in and year out.

-YTC

Can't even make a point without trolling Harbaugh? :thumbsup:

When Franklin arrived at PSU, there were 7 scholarship offensive linemen at PSU. Think about that for a second. 7. Not even enough to fill out a 2 deep.

-YTC

True, but they were still among the worst 10 programs in the country, looking at advanced running stats for run blocking. They had a bad rushing attack, even with Barkley (who is amazing). 3 years on from that, you'd hope they would address that.

Then again, Michigan has had a bad offensive line for just as long, so it can take time. But that's also the main reason I'm skeptical that Harbaugh makes us into a Ohio State-level powerhouse.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Can't even make a point without trolling Harbaugh? :thumbsup:

True, but they were still among the worst 10 programs in the country, looking at advanced running stats for run blocking. They had a bad rushing attack, even with Barkley (who is amazing). 3 years on from that, you'd hope they would address that.

Then again, Michigan has had a bad offensive line for just as long, so it can take time. But that's also the main reason I'm skeptical that Harbaugh makes us into a Ohio State-level powerhouse.

Rushing S&P+ shows PSU as 68th, and adjusted sack rate at 25. Considering where they were, I'll take that all day, erryday.

-YTC

Skeeter

Uber felon
Im curious to see the psu offense this year. I doubt the cheeser hail Mary pass offense Franklin ran last year will be as effective this year.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I mean, dude wins a B1G shampship 3 years after crippling sanctions, has been recruiting his ass off, building the program image from the gawd-awful place it was at, and I've still got to defend him?

GTFO with "No trolling, but..."

Is the the best corch in CFB? No. Is he the best corch in the B1G East? No. But he's the best PSU can do right now, and I'm damn glad he's my favorite team's head corch.

-YTC

I said no trolling because I wanted to be serious. You're reading way too much into this. My entire point is that I think Franklin is an 8-4 coach for Penn State, not a consistent 10 win coach. Did you think this before last year? Because I'm not sure last year, as awesome as it was, should change your perception of Franklin. There are lots of mediocre coaches that win one conference championship or have one really good year but then revert to mediocrity (and half of them are from Notre Dame). That is my entire point. I wouldn't have given him a extension because I'm not convinced he's worth that much money.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Rushing S&P+ shows PSU as 68th, and adjusted sack rate at 25. Considering where they were, I'll take that all day, erryday.

-YTC

True, but all of the line stats for rushing were in the 100s. So it's basically Barkley making everything work. If Penn State is going to improve this year, they'll need their offensive line to take a big step up. Which, from what I've read, is possible with the talent and depth there now. I would be really worried if those line stats didn't improve significantly.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.

Franklin is easily one of the most loathsome corches in college foozbawl but he's not the shittiest coast in the Big Ten East. Will be interesting to see what offense they trot out this year. That said, if they lose to Murderland that's just sad and worthy of being fired into one of those wind turbines on 68.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
He's the 4th best corch, but no, not the shittiest.

They won't lose to Maryland this year, barring something insane, but Maryland is going to get better and better.

TonyGin&Juice

I said no trolling because I wanted to be serious. You're reading way too much into this. My entire point is that I think Franklin is an 8-4 coach for Penn State, not a consistent 10 win coach. Did you think this before last year? Because I'm not sure last year, as awesome as it was, should change your perception of Franklin. There are lots of mediocre coaches that win one conference championship or have one really good year but then revert to mediocrity (and half of them are from Notre Dame). That is my entire point. I wouldn't have given him a extension because I'm not convinced he's worth that much money.

I don't know about all of that. Vandy is Vandy but he struck me as having some level of skill at corching and recruiting when he was there that was at least on par if not better than what Tennessee has done since the Derek Dooley experience. Besides, someone has to take up the Meaningless 10 Win Season streak now that this guy is gone:

Reports-Virginia-Techs-Frank-Beamer-to-retire.jpg

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Do we actually believe this Durkin CROOTIN nonsense? Didn't they say that about the last guy too? And the guy before him?

Maryland will forever be at best an 8-4 team, even playing shitty patsies the first 4 games every year.

TonyGin&Juice

CORCH FUENTE already hit the 10 win mark for the CHOKIES last year!

I don't foresee BAD COP NO DONUT repeating that this season, at least not with the QBs on the roster. If they get embarrassed by Best Press Virginia in the opener (which I think is definite) they'll find a way to get embarrassed by ODU, which will send me to the bottle immediately.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He's the 4th best corch, but no, not the shittiest.

:laughing: I keep wondering who I'm missing when you say Franklin is the 4th shittiest coach, and I just realized it's Dantonio. Completely forgot about him. I really wonder if he's going to be able to bring them back at all.

TonyGin&Juice

Do we actually believe this Durkin CROOTIN nonsense? Didn't they say that about the last guy too? And the guy before him?

Maryland will forever be at best an 8-4 team, even playing shitty patsies the first 4 games every year.

The amount of hype Edsel got for his CROOTIN JUJU had to have been funded by Under Armour and Kevin Plank personally. Even by Big Least East standards those recruiting classes were garbage.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Edsell's last full class was ranked 47th. Durkin has two top 20 classes so far.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
:laughing: I keep wondering who I'm missing when you say Franklin is the 4th shittiest coach, and I just realized it's Dantonio. Completely forgot about him. I really wonder if he's going to be able to bring them back at all.

Most optimistic I can be about it is a consistent 7-5/8-4 team with the rare division/conference title run. He may be gone in a few years, too. He needs to change up his defense a bit and get rid of his shitty OC, but with OSU recruiting at Bama levels and corched by a GOAT, Michigan not shitting themselves, PSU being good, and even Maryland improving, it's hard.

IU is going to be the team that falls the most in my opinion. Tom Allen is a good defensive corch, but I mean, the guy hired DEBORD as his OC. And Purdue made the better hire.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Most optimistic I can be about it is a consistent 7-5/8-4 team with the rare division/conference title run. He may be gone in a few years, too. He needs to change up his defense a bit and get rid of his shitty OC, but with OSU recruiting at Bama levels and corched by a GOAT, Michigan not shitting themselves, PSU being good, and even Maryland improving, it's hard.

IU is going to be the team that falls the most in my opinion. Tom Allen is a good defensive corch, but I mean, the guy hired DEBORD as his OC. And Purdue made the better hire.

I agree, but I also said that about MSU in 2012/2013, and they got better. So I'm not the best judge of that.

Indiana is so sad. They could very well make a bowl, but watching DeBord run that offense after Kevin Wilson is going to be a real boner killer. It will be nice not to be terrified of Indiana now, but a part of me is very sad that we don't have CHAOSTEAM anymore.

Lightningwar

Administrator

Dantonio reminds me of Beamer. Able to shine when their competition tanks. Once FSU came back the Chokies disappeared in the ACC. Now that Michigan has returned time for MSU to disappear for another 2-3 dcades

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
He went 36-5 with two Big Ten titles, a Rose Bowl win, a Cotton Bowl win, and a playoff appearance from 2013-2015 while OSU went 38-4 with a Big Ten title, a national title, and a Fiesta Bowl over the same time span. Not sure that's very accurate.

coogrfan

AP preseason Top 25

AP top 25:

1. Alabama (52 first-place votes)
2. Ohio State (3)
3. Florida State (4)
4. USC (2)
5. Clemson
6. Penn State
7. Oklahoma
8. Washington
9. Wisconsin
10. Oklahoma State
11. Michigan
12. Auburn
13. LSU
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Louisville
17. Florida
18. Miami (Fla.)
19. South Florida
20. Kansas State
21. Virginia Tech
22. West Virginia
23. Texas
24. Washington State
25. Tennessee

Others receiving votes: TCU 98, Utah 85, Notre Dame 65, Boise St. 37, NC State 26, Northwestern 25, Pittsburgh 23, Oregon 21, Houston 19, Colorado 18, UCLA 9, San Diego St. 9, BYU 5, Appalachian St. 4, Nebraska 4, Tulsa 4, Kentucky 3, Texas A&M 3, Michigan St. 1.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He went 36-5 with two Big Ten titles, a Rose Bowl win, a Cotton Bowl win, and a playoff appearance from 2013-2015 while OSU went 38-4 with a Big Ten title, a national title, and a Fiesta Bowl over the same time span. Not sure that's very accurate.

The real problem is that he never really turned that success into recruiting success. And the one really good class he had - 2016 - has already been decimated by attrition.