• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

CJ _24 Get to the Point Thread

Carolina Blue

Fowler/Walker +1 on McIlroy/Poulter. Poulter just gave the ultimate Poulterface after a chip-in on 15. Such a douche. Would be a huge win for the U.S.

CJ_24

Team 'murrica is so boring. Phil and keegan are the only interesting people on the team.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Mickelson ensured in the post-match press conference that he won't be selected as a Ryder Cup captain.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Gotta love Phil speaking his mind.

Watson was fucking awful. Picks were terrible, and the pairings were generally bad too. But it still basically came down to alternate shot. We got, what, 1 point from alternate shot? Ridiculous.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Yeah, basically saying he could motivate and relate better to the players than the other options for captain. Not sure, but something needs to change.

CJ_24

The team this year was no good to begin with. Two of the top players were hurt and a third was suspended for drugs and a forth regular ryder cupper all but retired to assistant captain. Europe beat murrica's jv squad. Europe might have won anyway, but the circumstances preclude me from thinking some eccentric reaction to the american ryder cup is necessarily warranted.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The team this year was no good to begin with. Two of the top players were hurt and a third was suspended for drugs and a forth regular ryder cupper all but retired to assistant captain. Europe beat murrica's jv squad. Europe might have won anyway, but the circumstances preclude me from thinking some eccentric reaction to the american ryder cup is necessarily warranted.

Nah, the talent wasn't that imbalanced that this was always on the cards. Europe definitely had more talent, but it wasn't like the US was completely awful. Both Europe and the US have won with worse teams than what we threw out there. And I think we had an advantage in depth. Plus Ryder Cup Poulter didn't show up (although Ryder Cup Garcia did).

We lost the Ryder Cup because of alternate shot. Europe had a 7-1 advantage in that format. Even with a talent advantage, that is atrocious. And that format is where it is most important to have some sort of chemistry. I think chemistry is generally overrated, but when the US gets only 1 point, you have to look at the pairings and wonder what the fuck was going on with them.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Nobody goes to them anymore. Golf memberships are down pretty significantly across the country and lol tennis

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
My issues are...

Not having Reed and Spieth play Friday afternoon after their dominant morning. Keep going with the hot hand.
Playing old ass Phil in both matches on Friday, making him unavailable on Saturday
2 wins since 1993 at the Belfry, it isn't just about this weekend it is a trend. One of those wins was the miracle comeback in 1999.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I also think the captian's picks were terrible. It would have been nice to take some guys without scar tissue, and instead Watson opts for vets. Ugh. The sooner the Furyk, Mickelson, and yes, Tiger, generation is done at the Ryder Cup, the better. Next team should be headlined by Fowler, Reed, and Speith. Hopefully Horschel, too, because he strikes me as a guy who would be great at the Ryder Cup.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Yep Watson didn't look comfortable hitting any shot this week. For a non-links course, I expected more out of Bubba

It’s fun to second-guess the choices as soon as they’re made, but this week is where the rubber meets the road. Tom Watson’s first mistake was asking for only three picks instead of the four the PGA of America was willing to grant him; one extra spot would’ve allowed him to take a flier on a Billy Horschel or a Chris Kirk. His second mistake was not pushing the selection date back until after the Tour Championship. If you ask for the world the PGA will give it to you. (See Azinger, Paul.) Watson’s third mistake was having the wrong revelation, as Webb Simpson was clearly a bad call. His fourth mistake was sending Simpson out in the very first match of the Cup (!), with a flighty partner no less, in Bubba Watson. Poor Webb was already on the hot seat, and he never recovered from his ghastly pop-up on the 1st tee, getting benched for the next three sessions. Keegan Bradley and Hunter Mahan were O.K. selections and played decent enough.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/r...ns-paul-mcginley-and-tom-watson#ixzz3EiZeg3P6

CJ_24

Could one suggest that we suck at alternate shot because team europe has more guys who are superior/more consistent iron players?

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
Reed is a fucking tool. Fowler has promise but I still think he is overrated at this point in his career and McIlroy just put him in his place, again. Spieth is the best of the bunch imo. I agree with Horschel too.

My thoughts about foursomes would be the pairings. I think in this event especially the two players need to get along with each other and compliment each other's games much more than other events. I don't know that there is a specific formula that works better than another, but something isn't going right there.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Reed is a huge tool, but having players like that is a good thing at Ryder Cups. E.g., Poulter, Garcia, Monty.

CJ_24

The artist formerly known as tiger is playing in the waste management open (appropriate, given the state of his game). As if that tournament isn't already a zoo. Someone is going to die on 16

goblue96

The artist formerly known as tiger is playing in the waste management open (appropriate, given the state of his game). As if that tournament isn't already a zoo. Someone is going to die on 16

And it takes place during Super Bowl week. Tigger gets NFL groupie leftovers after he goes 76-74-MC

CJ_24

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he didn't break 70. Roy took his mojo and all the pretty blonde women (a distinction without a difference one could argue)

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Rickie's flat brim and Tony on Orphan Black transgender looking goatee

TonyOB.jpg

Rickie-Fowler-011.jpg

Schauwn

PGA is stepping in this year and saying that golfers can't throw things into the stands on hold 16 this year.

goblue96

Tigger +4 after 4. Perkins ain't gonna help this kid anymore.

MC +120
WD -175
Made Cut +1500

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
Geoff Ogilvy my shot piece for Golf Digest. Could he be talking about Tiger?

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2014-12/my-shot-geoff-ogilvy?currentPage=2

THE SHORT SHOT from a tight lie—the type I played from in front of Winged Foot's 18th in 2006—is causing all kinds of havoc. There are more cases of pitching yips, brought on by that very type of shot, than ever before. There's a very good player on tour, whom I don't care to identify, who has as bad a case of the pitching yips as I've ever seen. He's in a very dark place mentally and has become a master of disguising this weakness. He'll hit his ball to some extraordinarily difficult places to avoid hitting the 30-yard pitch from a tight lie. He's making a very good living, but sooner or later he'll face a 30-yard shot over a bunker on national TV when it really counts. He'll lay the sod over it three times in a row. And then you'll know who it is I'm talking about.

CJ_24

It's amazing how far gone Tiger is in his head. This is a dude who was described at the poster child of mental dexterity, basically from his first national appearance in the u.s. am's until Yang beat him with a hybrid and Hazeltine and his ex beat him with a 9 iron in Orlando.

A lot of people point to those two instances (especially the latter) as to why Tiger's game has been aloof, and they're certainly influence, but I think the reason why those things have caused tiger's wheels to go so far off the tracks is because of his father's passing back in 06 (or whenever it was). Tiger's dad, a total ass by most accounts, for better or worse was Tiger's compass. Tiger has admittedly stated that whenever he was going sideways mentally, his dad put his head back in the right place. I think Tiger has been varying levels of lost since losing the PGA to Yang and getting smacked by his ex because he doesn't have his father around to focus him and he won't listen to anyone else.

I think tiger had 3 instructors before 2009 and I think he's on his third or fourth instructor since. Golf is complex sport, but it ain't that complex. the yips (and I don't know how you define that in relation to whatever he's doing, I haven't seen him hit a single golf shot since last summer, so I don't know) are 9.9 times out of 10 an issue of, as cheech said in Tip Cup, "your brain [is] getting in the way."

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
I agree and I also question some of the shots he is trying to hit. For example a couple SW approaches last week he is trying to hit a 30 yard fade to the pin, and there is no good reason to do that. IMO he needs to take aim and hit. It's a 100 yard approach with a SW. There is no need to manufacture a shot in that situation. He did the same thing on 16 Friday. Leave the crazy curves to Bubba.

CJ_24

I agree and I also question some of the shots he is trying to hit. For example a couple SW approaches last week he is trying to hit a 30 yard fade to the pin, and there is no good reason to do that. IMO he needs to take aim and hit. It's a 100 yard approach with a SW. There is no need to manufacture a shot in that situation. He did the same thing on 16 Friday. Leave the crazy curves to Bubba.

I wonder how much that plays into the changes in the golf ball? When Tiger was a kid they used those old golf balls (and clubs) that you could curve the ball more to the point where no scratch level golfer would ever try to hit the ball straight. Maybe that's just how he knows the game, to try to shape the ball...but on the other hand, he's been using the new type of golf balls for over a decade now, so, you know...

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Tiger was also one of the first ones to use the new type of golf balls, if not the first. I doubt the golf ball has anything to do with it.