• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

bruin228's Passing Game Clinic

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I've had multiple people ask me for passing tips so this thread can serve as an arena for those discussions. Feel free to pick this Leach acolyte's brain.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Is there anything you do different than Leach? Any extra concepts or tweaks? Different rules?

I run more Empty than he does, because I think it's great for quick game. Wazzu is running some Empty this year but I don't think I had seen a Leach team run it since Kentucky. I also go faster, because people in ODs are so slow that I have to make up for it to get my snaps in.

As far as concepts, I'm running what he does. Shallow, Mesh, Y Corner, Y Cross, Shakes, Verts, Stick, screen game, etc. I don't run as much Mesh because the game ruined it but I do use it. I don't run as much Verts against users either, because the online cheesers ruined it since that's all they use so everyone can defend it pretty well. Run game is just IZ or OZ and maybe a counter. If Draws worked, I would replace all that stuff with Draws probably.

Rules are the same. Count numbers and if I have 5 or less, run. Occasionally, I'll run on 6 because this game is so overpowered run game wise. Overall, I try to keep it as pure as possible. I ran more of a TCU raid at Cal, but I like this version way more. I consider it the real Air Raid.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Mesh Flood Concept
After talking to @PSUEagle about Mike Martz's version of Flood, where he has a weakside shallow serve as the flat threat, I started messing around with combining that with other Air Raid concepts like Shallow. After running that a few times against PSUEagle, he brought up that I could have the back run an option route rather than the wheel route I had him on, creating Mesh. So, this play was born. Best run out of either closed Trips sets or Trips sets with tight splits.

Play design out of 4WR:

fd00963257191e0ba53ca0cc1ae1547b.jpg

Versus Cover 2:

Versus Cover 3:

Versus Cover 4:

Versus Man:

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Decided to use Bruin Mesh in my playoff game with the Saints. Got a first down off the check down to the back. Nice concept. Dig keeps the LB occupied.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Only problem with it is that if you don't have a play with a corner and a dig right next to each other out of 3x1, you can only run it on X Down and 10-12 since you have to smart route the dig.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Making RPOs
Here's the best way you can make a sort of RPO using the fake screens and the HB Swing plays. Your first read in the screen plays is the flat defender, your first read in the HB Swing is the EMOL or the force defender. @LEGEND @Akecheta

Fake Bubble Versus Cover 3:

Fake Bubble Versus Cover 4:

Fake FL Screen Versus Cover 3:

Fake FL Screen Versus Cover 2:

https://vimeo.com/144814316

https://vimeo.com/144814559

HB Swing Versus Cover 2:

https://vimeo.com/144814843

HB Swing Versus Cover 3:

https://vimeo.com/144814666

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Making RPOs
Here's the best way you can make a sort of RPO using the fake screens and the HB Swing plays. Your first read in the screen plays is the flat defender, your first read in the HB Swing is the EMOL or the force defender. @LEGEND @Akecheta

Fake Bubble Versus Cover 3:

Fake Bubble Versus Cover 4:

Fake FL Screen Versus Cover 3:

Fake FL Screen Versus Cover 2:

https://vimeo.com/144814316

https://vimeo.com/144814559

HB Swing Versus Cover 2:

https://vimeo.com/144814843

HB Swing Versus Cover 3:

https://vimeo.com/144814666

Hmm, that gives me some ideas. I have all the Fake Screen plays in my formations but never really know what to do with them. I love the Fake Bubble Slant play in Spread Offset but haven't really gotten into running the others. Might have to experiment with it, especially in Powerhouse where I'm starting to throw a lot more than usual.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Thanks for the HB Swing idea by the way, I forgot to credit you.

Tell me if you find anything interesting, I messed around with a few different things but lost interest. I like the Curl Flat concept using Bubble out of 2x2 but the other stuff I tried didn't work so well. Tried using a bubble paired with a go to get a fade/out look to beat Cover 2 but it didn't work so well. Some of this stuff is really dependent on which hash you're on though and I didn't screw around with that a ton.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Thanks for the HB Swing idea by the way, I forgot to credit you.

Tell me if you find anything interesting, I messed around with a few different things but lost interest. I like the Curl Flat concept using Bubble out of 2x2 but the other stuff I tried didn't work so well. Tried using a bubble paired with a go to get a fade/out look to beat Cover 2 but it didn't work so well. Some of this stuff is really dependent on which hash you're on though and I didn't screw around with that a ton.

I really want to find a use for the Fake Screen Wheel plays in my wing offset formations, I'm just not sure what. My initial thought was a pop pass to the wing TE up the seam, but it doesn't time up that well. I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the ability to hot route the wing TE to a straight vertical route where he releases through the LOS. Now it makes him go around the tackle which is fine, but doesn't time up that well.

I had played around with hot routing the fake screen route to a slant. Occasionally you get a pick on the DB covering the wheel route but not often. Then I tried doing a slant/wheel concept with the fake screen and the HB but again, it times up weird.

The best thing I've found is just running the fake screen as designed one direction and then throwing something to the backside WR. Either a quick hitch or curl or occasionally a slant or quick out depending on what the corner is doing.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, realizing they made it where the wing doesn't release through the LOS was the worst. Not only that, they also made it where if you motion him when he's on a vertical, he switches to a swing for some reason so you have to hot route him back to a vertical which completely takes any urgency out of the motion.

LEGEND

Thanks @bruin228!

I gotta hook my cpu up... I'm trying to see it from my phone. Not working so good!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

LEGEND

I've been messing around with coordinator camera view lately... It explains a lot! I was actually almost convinced @bruin228 was using cheat codes or a modded controller! jk

But it does explain how he made what looked like difficult passes from normal view... look extremely easy! I'm going to try and adapt to the view.

Is it me or does throwing from normal view seem reversed? The stick movement feels correct throwing from coordinator view... Normal doesn't. To lead upfield you have to throw up and behind... With coordinator view you lead like it would be in real life.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

fanoftgame

How do you attack denses that show 8 in the box but, drop 8-9 players(in your cases show 6 drop 8-9)? What happens if the mix dropping 8-9 with dropping 7 but still showing 8 in the box.

PSUEagle

How do you attack denses that show 8 in the box but, drop 8-9 players(in your cases show 6 drop 8-9)? What happens if the mix dropping 8-9 with dropping 7 but still showing 8 in the box.

In NCAA or Madden?

In NCAA it flat out doesn't matter: someone could drop 11 in coverage and you can still scheme guys open IMO.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?

IRL, you burn them over the top. If they're playing press outside, you can beat them.

nofx94

Y'all have a lot of schematic specifics going on and that's great but I have a question about basic technique. Probably dumb but: how do y'all use directional passing? Do you bother? I get a lot of dumb overthrows.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I don't know how I got into such a habit of it. Now I have to break it. Thanks

Yeah I have the same habit and in our ODs where QBA is set at 5, it leads to god awful throws. I think that's part of the reason I struggle throwing the ball so often. I've had that habit since at least NCAA 12/13 and it has never really gone away. I think one of those years directional passing was absurdly overpowered and you could aim a pass anywhere and complete it. People were calling in/out routes and could use the stick to turn it into a post/corner route easily and the WR knew exactly where to be.

That still exists a little bit in NCAA 14, but not so much so that people are making 15 yard adjustments to routes and still completing them and with QBA set at 5 those throws will miss far more often than they hit. Honestly, I think those who struggle with QBA 5 the most (me included) are those that really can't break the habit of aiming. Not sure if @bruin228 has noticed that as well. He consistently throws in the 70% range and it sounds like he is very careful to avoid aiming passes.

I really have to make a conscious effort to not aim my passes and I usually don't think about it until I find myself launching passes 15 yards past receivers. I think the biggest route I struggle with is Smash/Corner routes, it is so easy to want to aim that throw to the sideline and "lead" your receiver away from a man defender or deep half safety that you end up overthrowing. I did that in a game last night on what should have been an easy TD. There are some routes that might benefit from a little aiming, post routes come to mind as a route it helps to aim "down" to prevent WRs from drifting up field into a safety for an INT but otherwise just making sure to set your QBs feet and avoid any sort of aiming influence does wonders, regardless of QBA setting.