• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Brady Hoke is truly a shitty human being

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Oh my.

If I'm the AD, Hoke is fired after leaving him in for a play. After putting him back in, the kid's dad gets a free shot at Hoke's face.

You have to lose your job for that. And the head trainer does too. His entire job is to prevent that right there from happening. You take the kid's helmet away and you stake your job on not giving it back whether the coach or the player wants it.

The players on the field knew he needed out, the fans knew it, and when Gardner's helmet comes off you can plainly see the ref look at Morris then turn to the sideline and say "Do you want a time out?" to which Hoke must have said no. Unforgivable.

And you're down 23 points with 10 minutes left and the kid has 49 passing yards. Fuck off.

Renegade

Charge on!
Fully agree with Mak, but just going to add that this magnifies the dumbass helmet rule. Are you telling me a player can't put their helmet back on during the 40 second play clock?

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Fully agree with Mak, but just going to add that this magnifies the dumbass helmet rule. Are you telling me a player can't put their helmet back on during the 40 second play clock?
The rule has more to do with pace of play than player safety.

The player safety bit is the part where players can't chase a play without their helmet on.

worst2first

Shane Morris is a brave man to try to keep playing. Brady Hoke is a piece of shit.

Wolverines coach Brady Hoke was asked after the game why Morris was left in the game when he appeared to be hurt.

"I don't know if he had a concussion or not, I don't know that," Hoke said. "Shane's a pretty competitive, tough kid. And Shane wanted to be the quarterback, and so, believe me, if he didn't want to be he would've come to the sideline or stayed down."

Asked if he saw his sophomore quarterback looking "wobbly" after the hit, Hoke said he did not.

"I did not," he replied. "I didn't see it. I can only answer for me."

If Morris is seriously injured (I haven't seen an update yet) I hope his family sues the fuck out of Hoke, the trainer and the university. I can't imagine what I would do if Morris was my son. There is no excuse for leaving him in and putting him back in.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I think what is starting to form for me is Hoke has lost the players. His attitude wouldnt make me want to play for him. If Im hurt and cant play anymore. Then clearly I dont want the job enough? That kind of bullshit attitude would explain why Michigan lost 30-14 to the Gophers at home.

Taishair

Poor kid! and seriously the fuck was that coach doing?? My 0.02 is that something shady going down there, people don't act that desperate without some reason.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Damn
Time of death: 11:30 to play in the 4q
Cause: excessive sack lunching
R.I.P. Michigan football

Edit:
Haha hahaha

@5:30 the 3rd string qb forgets his helmet and borrows home boys

Last edited:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
The rule has more to do with pace of play than player safety.

The player safety bit is the part where players can't chase a play without their helmet on.
It is there to slow the pace down?

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
It is there to slow the pace down?
No. I think part of it was to keep teams from slowing the pace down via "losing" their helmets. Wasn't the rule implemented after the 2011 season? I remember the talks coming in the latter half of the 2011 season, when there was discussion of teams trying to slow other teams down via "losing" their helmets mid/after play.

OU vs Texas A&M 2011 is a perfect example. I guess to say it is mainly a pace-of-play thing is wrong because I also remember (now that I think of it) helmets coming off all the time on big hits because players weren't wearing them properly. But I do think pace-of-play was a factor.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I thought it was implemented so players would wear their helmets properly
This is the main reason, at least the only one that makes sense. also if you get hit hard enough to knock the helmet off you should probably be checked out.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

Yeah, the bogus excuse they gave was that players weren't strapping up properly, but that's asinine. The helmets and chin straps are DESIGNED to come off under certain types of pressure, so the force is absorbed by the helmet/straps instead of your neck. It's ridiculous. They thought guys (especially guys with big dreads that make the helmets slide off easier) were getting too much face time, if you ask me.

And lol @ Hoke saying he didn't see him wobble. Well then why the fuck did he put Gardner in?

Chase

The color guy is a retard. Shoulder to the chest. "You gotta call that targeting and eject him" orly?

Ed Cunningham is B1G footbaw. This whole ordeal reminded me of RG3 when his knee died against the Seahawks in the playoffs and Shanahan refused to take him out.

GuyIncognito

And just fuck off with "if he wanted out he'd come out."

A) It's not the player's job to decide whether he's too hurt to play, especially a guy with a fucking concussion.
B) In my whole life of watching and participating in football, Vince Young is the only QB I've ever seen walk off the field without being pulled. It doesn't happen, and the reason you have a coaching staff and a training staff is precisely so that decision isn't left to the player.

Honestly, I don't know why they haven't fired him already this morning. It's inexcusable. It would be inexcusable from a winning coach. From a guy who's on the verge of getting canned for completely independent reasons, it HAS to be the last straw.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah, the bogus excuse they gave was that players weren't strapping up properly, but that's asinine. The helmets and chin straps are DESIGNED to come off under certain types of pressure, so the force is absorbed by the helmet/straps instead of your neck. It's ridiculous. They thought guys (especially guys with big dreads that make the helmets slide off easier) were getting too much face time, if you ask me.

And lol @ Hoke saying he didn't see him wobble. Well then why the fuck did he put Gardner in?
Are helmets popping off as much? I dont watch as much as i used to, but it doesnt seem like it happens every play now. Given the concussion hoopla, if a helmet pops off due to that much pressure they should get taken off to get checked out.

GuyIncognito

But how many concussions (or any other injuries for that matter) were ever attributable to guys losing their helmets? I'm not sure I've ever seen one. The kind of thing that rips your helmet off is somebody grabbing it or because the chin straps come off due to pressure, not the same kind of contact that causes concussions.

I think the "player safety" argument was a post hoc justification for an utterly indefensible and stupid rule. I don't have any data for how often helmets come off (and I bet the NCAA rules committee doesn't either), but I don't think anybody can say it's shown to be a boon the player safety.

GuyIncognito

I will say slightly in their defense that I don't think this scenario can fairly be held against the rule.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that "QB gets concussed, backup QB loses his hat after 2 plays, coach is such a dipshit he puts the concussed QB back in the game" wasn't on anybody's mind when that rule was being debated.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
But how many concussions (or any other injuries for that matter) were ever attributable to guys losing their helmets? I'm not sure I've ever seen one. The kind of thing that rips your helmet off is somebody grabbing it or because the chin straps come off due to pressure, not the same kind of contact that causes concussions.

I think the "player safety" argument was a post hoc justification for an utterly indefensible and stupid rule. I don't have any data for how often helmets come off (and I bet the NCAA rules committee doesn't either), but I don't think anybody can say it's shown to be a boon the player safety.
So nobody knows anything. It is just a common sense rule given the concussion PR deal the last few years. Regardless it seems so much better now that helmets dont come off all the time.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
This whole thing is insane. Watched it live and thought it was crazy, seeing the replays and cutups being posted it looks even worse. Hoke HAD to have seen his quarterback wobbly and clearly out of it. He greeted him coming off the field, he had to see that right? You cannot possibly be that oblivious to what is going on. Then to see your injured and probably concussed quarterback run out on the field again and not call a timeout so Gardner could go back in after his helmet came off? Unreal.

Yes it is an unfortunate combination of foolish NCAA rules that no one could have ever anticipated but this is all on Michigan. From Hoke to the training staff, it is gross negligence by everyone involved. Shane Morris took such a beating at the end of that game, not just that (perfectly legal) hit but even the drive or two before it. No player is ever going to willingly take himself off the field, the coaching staff and trainers have to be aware of that and pull a guy. They finally did..... and then they let him go back out there. I don't understand how you can let that happen. Even for a coach like Hoke who is obsessed with the golden age of tough guy football, how do you let that happen? There is tough and there is stupid, this is the latter and it isn't even close.

After it happened I was convinced Hoke would be fired today, but I'm honestly not sure Michigan can do it. Not during the season. Who do you promote as interim HC? Nussmeier's offense has been embarrassing and he shouldn't be absolved of responsibility in the Morris situation either. Mattison? This whole situation is a disaster for Michigan, not just the results on the field but it is becoming pretty clear Hoke has lost the team. As a Nebraska fan, I've seen this situation play out before. The similarities between Michigan 2014 and Nebraska 2007 are brutally obvious, down to the resigned defeat on the faces of the few remaining fans during a(nother) home blowout.

The only question left is who replaces Hoke next year.

Brick

Maybe if hoke wore a fucking headset someone would have told him how much of an asshat he was being there.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
“The safety of our student-athletes is always our top priority,” Hoke stated. “We generally never discuss the specifics of a student-athlete’s medical care, but Shane Morris was removed from yesterday’s game against Minnesota after further aggravating an injury to his leg that he sustained earlier in the contest. He was evaluated by our experienced athletic trainers and team physicians, and we’re confident proper medical decisions were made. The University of Michigan has a distinguished group of Certified Athletic Trainers and team physicians who are responsible for determining whether or not a player is physically able to play. Our coaches have no influence or authority to make determinations if or when an injured player returns to competition. The health and welfare of our student-athletes is and will continue to be a top priority.”

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
51323TNP2BL._SL360_.jpg

Brick

“The safety of our student-athletes is always our top priority,” Hoke stated. “We generally never discuss the specifics of a student-athlete’s medical care, but Shane Morris was removed from yesterday’s game against Minnesota after further aggravating an injury to his leg that he sustained earlier in the contest. He was evaluated by our experienced athletic trainers and team physicians, and we’re confident proper medical decisions were made. The University of Michigan has a distinguished group of Certified Athletic Trainers and team physicians who are responsible for determining whether or not a player is physically able to play. Our coaches have no influence or authority to make determinations if or when an injured player returns to competition. The health and welfare of our student-athletes is and will continue to be a top priority.”
Brick.gif

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
"Shane Morris was removed from yesterday’s game against Minnesota after further aggravating an injury to his leg that he sustained earlier in the contest."

Then why was he put back in the game?

DHawkeye

Eterna Optimis

qq1sgPassingTheBuck.jpg

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I was at the game, and Brady Hoke was probably the only person in the stadium who didn't see how bad Morris was hurt. When an OL has to hold your QB up to prevent him from essentially fainting, the QB needs to come out of the game immediately. If there's a possibility that a player has gotten a concussion, he has to come out of the game immediately.

And then you have the comparison to DickRod, who multiple times held players with possible concussions out of important games. He held Denard out of the second half of the Illinois game in 2010 because of that, and that was a must-win game for him. And then you have Hoke not taking out a guy who is both clearly hurt and clearly way out of his depth.

Also, Gardner got hurt in the Ohio State game last year. Broke his foot. There was a quote from Hoke after the game about how he didn't want to see Gardner limp. At the time, whatever, and a broken foot is a bit different from nearly passing out on the field. Looking bad, that's pretty bad. I think Hoke is the type of idiot who thinks toughness is playing through injuries. Meanwhile, you have our QBs taking cheap shots in 2 games and nobody does anything. Fuck off

This assclown needs to be fired. Today. It is inexcusable, and the damage he did to Michigan with just this one incident is about 10x worse than anything DickRod did. Michigan can only fix this by firing him now.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Just saw this. Wow, that is awful. Even before the hit that likely caused the concussion, it was clear he was limping and probably unable to play effectively. So, even if you have zero compassion or thought for the long-term health of a young man, and think Jack Youngblood is who players should model their stoic tough-guy personas on, if a player is clearly not able to help your team because he's too badly hurt, why are you leaving him in? Then you put him back in during a sequence in which the other QB lost his helmet? Why isn't the next QB (#8) warming up on the sideline during all this, and also, who in the fuck is #16 and why didn't they put him in?

The whole thing just stinks. You can clearly hear the crowd booing when Morris is going back in, clearly still limping, and out of it, despite his protestations that he's okay, and the obvious concern of his linemen. Also, even before he was reinserted, the training staff wasn't even checking him out - neither for signs of concussion, nor even looking at his ankle which had obviously been injured. Instead they had him taking instruction from the OC about which plays they would run. I might somewhat understand if you were in a tied ballgame, but Christ, you're down by four scores in the 4th. Your team has shown no signs they can possibly overcome such a deficit, and still you trot out the poor kid to get potentially get further messed up.

Nick Saban would be in trouble for pulling such a stunt. Brady Hoke should be updating his resume.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
#8 is the third string QB. #16 is being redshirted, so you don't want him in the game for one snap. But, #8 was trying to get on the field, but couldn't find his helmet. I'm not even joking. Just sums up Michigan's program perfectly at this point.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
#8 is the third string QB. #16 is being redshirted, so you don't want him in the game for one snap. But, #8 was trying to get on the field, but couldn't find his helmet. I'm not even joking. Just sums up Michigan's program perfectly at this point.

Boobie Miles will come kill #8. I guess the whole sequence is emblematic of the issues at Michigan.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
OH GOOD! The hits just keep coming: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/29/6863037/brady-hoke-michigan-coach-player-injury

As Ball State's coach in 2004, Hoke was reprimanded by his athletic director after a player was frostbitten during a "disciplinary workout in subzero temperatures," according to an Associated Press article at the time.

Also reprimanded was Aaron Wellman, Michigan's current strength and conditioning coach.

Chris Jackson, a redshirt freshman wide receiver, suffered frostbite to "several fingers" during a 40-minute, 6 a.m. workout on January 31 of that year. Jackson and teammates carried a 25-pound sandbag up and down Scheumann Stadium, athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the AP. Associate professor of geography David Arnold told the AP the temperature at the start of the workout was -7 degrees Fahrenheit, with a wind chill of -12 degrees.

How is he not fired yet?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I also found that quote about Gardner not limping against Ohio State last year:
You know, [Gardner is] beat up like everybody is, and that's when he was limping a little bit, and I said I don't want to see you limp. I said every guy out here could limp. We've got to go play, and he did that. I'm proud of him.

Broken foot? I don't want to see you limp.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

lol, it's just staggering to me that there are coaches at that level who still act like that. Hey dipshit, I know you've already gotten your million dollar contract, so it might be hard to understand that these guys have a lot more riding on this than your perception of their toughness.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Could the kids parents sue Hoke and UM? Sorry if this has been discussed, I just skimmed the first couple pages.

How did he even make it to the end of the weekend before being let go? This is inexcusable.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Mak would probably be able to answer that better than me, but I'm guessing there is something in the LOI an athlete signs about them not suing the program. I'm also struggling to see how you could sue the coach when Morris - who is over 18 - is refusing to go down.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
But there's basic concussion/injury protocol that doesn't take into account whether the player is over or under 18? Or can players actually opt out of this protocol just by looking for their helmet??

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It appears they didn't follow NCAA rules, but I'm not sure how that would translate into Morris suing Michigan.

GuyIncognito

Unless they've made an outrageous change in the last couple of years, there's no kind of liability waiver in the NLI itself. I doubt a court would look favorably on that waiver even if there were one. If there are standard, industry-wide protocols and somebody violates them, as far as I know you can try for negligence.

Of course that's an awfully antagonistic action to take against your own coach/school/trainer