• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Berlin Bomber Bears

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
.240/.270 is not great, but all numbers are up over last year, and he's giving you positive WAR. My Alonso Donatello went .192/.225/.embarrassed his first year.
Yeah, his month by month stats are improving as well.

I don't know enough about the advanced D stats, but he hasn't made an error all year and is +6.8 ZR. I still think a stint in AAA would help a little bit.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
So we traded our "3B"/ DH Ninor to Las Vegas for a draft pick and Matt Weaver which is a salary consideration. He was our best hitter this year, but he's old and I wasn't going to give him an extension, so get something while the time is right. This lets us put Jesus "walks" Pena back at DH and gives us some roster flexibility? Do we call up Uptown Funk and let him give it to ya?

In other news Aurelio Valencia's season and time in Berlin is over as he broke his elbow. We'll call up 3B Alfredo Betancourt to take his spot. He's done a nice job hitting the ball with a 926 OPS in 240 AAA ABs between our system and Las Vegas'.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Down on the Farm

Looking at our prospect list, we've got a couple guys who could make the move up right now and a couple guys who intrigue me.

LF Jon Funk - He's torn up the minors this season, going from single A to AAA over the span, hitting 31 HRs with 103 RBIs and picking up a player of the week award at each level. He's coming up for September and hopefully we can keep him under 130 ABs to protect his rookie eligibility for next year.

SS Jordan Walshe - Not an elite prospect, but is doing a good job hitting the ball at AAA this year, and is a really top quality defender who can play 2B, SS, 3B and the corner OF spots.

RF Roberto Rivera - He had a really good year in AAA last year before we called him up, but he hasn't been as good this year. Might be able to be a 4th OF for us, but I don't see much more than that.

CL Julio Sepulveda - Was once our top starting pitching prospect, but an arm injury has made him a reliever for us. Another guy who has gone from A to AAA this year, he's ready for the come up and he could probably help us as a reliever right now. His stat line isn't that impressive in AAA, but he is pitching a lot better when you dig deeper.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Locked up a couple guys on extensions:

[xtable=cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0|968x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Signed 1B Aurelio Valéncia to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $6,000,000.{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Signed SP Jerry Carvalho to a 5-year contract extension worth a total of $4,800,000.{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Carvalho at 900K a year is a really good gamble, and Aurelio showed me enough this year to bring him back as a DH/ 1B candidate next year.

Jon Funk is killing the ball since he came up to the majors.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Snuffy.jpg

He's back!

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
We took the DH of the future, Joe Rice, with our 1st round draft pick. Guy is slow as fuck, has no range, and can't even catch the ball, but he's from New Jersey so we'll give him a shot. On the upside, he's patient at the plate, got good pop and shouldn't strike out too much. I think he projects as a .290 avg, 850 OPS guy, but we'll see.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
In other news we gave our head scout carte blanche to scour the caribbean for prospects. We'll see who he lands with those blank checks.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
In other news we gave our head scout carte blanche to scour the caribbean for prospects. We'll see who he lands with those blank checks.

Landed 3 guys.

SP Andrew Heppell out of St. Kitts. Has a big time curveball, but will really need to develop a third pitch to be a starter for us. I'm projecting him as a inning eating MR right now.

CF Jesus Ruiz from Cuba. Not spectacular but can do everything okay. Good speed with great instincts on the basepaths. Defense is middle of the pack.

CF Fernando Soliz from El Salvador. Future lead off hitter. Can take a walk and isn't going to strike out a lot. Lacks power, but can get the ball into the gaps and probably get a lot of triples with his speed. Pop gun arm and needs to focus on catching the ball. Buyers remorse = high.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Offensive preview

Catcher

Last year I tried to plug a hole at catcher with a free agent, but eventually decided to call up Francisco Chavez, who had a nice year, finishing 2nd in Rookie of the Year voting. He had 27 HRs in just over 500 PAs between the majors and AAA, so I think he can do something similar if we get him the ABs. Deniska Paseko will backup again and he had an ok year last year. We need him to hit for a little more power, but if he can reproduce his .306 average and .345 on base, I'll take it.

First Base

This was a disaster for us last year. Michael Foster was the main guy here last year and his sub 700 OPS can't be repeated. I signed Michele Bucci to give us some depth here in the offseason, but he hasn't played baseball in almost 2 seasons, so that's a big risk. I have Aurelio Valencia who I have confidence in his bat after a solid start last season, but I really don't want him in the field.

Second Base

Luis Franco is the man at 2B for us, and I have no reason to doubt his production. He had a little bit of a sophomore slump, but was still productive. We'll give backup OF Migdonio Pixeiro a chance to learn some of the IF positions in spring training, but I think we'll look to AAA for a body to backup the middle infield when we get closer to the regular season.

Shortstop

Luis Delgado was okay last year for us, contributing a 700 OPS, but we need him to take that next step this year for us if we want to make the playoffs. Pixeiro will get some time here as well.

Third Base

This was another train wreck last year. We'll probably go with a platoon here with Alfredo Betancourt against lefties, and Thomas Frre against righties. Neither hit the ball well last year, but Frre did have one of the best walk rates on the team last year. At least defense won't be a problem here for us.

Left Field

Jon Funk went through our minor league system like a hot knife through butter, and picked up player of the week honors at all 4 levels. This year he has to be considered the front runner for Rookie of the Year. We'll put him in the 3 hole. Igme Dioquino will be the main outfield reserve.

Center Field

Gonzalo Castillo got off to a rough start last year so we sent him back to AAA for seasoning. He had solid production down there, and maybe it straightended things out for him enough to give him another chance as the unquestioned starter.

Right Field

We brought in Gavrel Ashaulov as a free agent, and we'll give him the first chance in right, but not a long leash. He's shown a good ability to draw a walk in the past, but we need him to do more than that as the plate. I'd be happy if he could match his 2045 season.

Designated Hitter

Aurelio Valencia is gonna get the nod. He was really hitting the ball well before he got injured last season, so maybe the light finally turned on, or maybe he found some good steroids. If he struggles, I'll put Funk here

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
On the pitching side, we've got a bit of a clusterfuck as they say. We brought back Randy Hapgood to be our #1 starter and I feel confident with him, and I like where we sit in the back of the bullpen with Barakah closing, Chang as our 8th inning guy and Julio Sepulveda coming up to help for the 6th and 7th inning situations.

Claude Dupas is our #2 starter to open the year. He had 5 WAR last year and a 3.67 FIP, so if we can catch the ball behind him better he may be able to flip his record around. Carlos Esquiviel is our #3 right now. He also had 5 WAR last year with a 3.83 FIP. Has some really top end pitches so he could be a good matchup play. Fransisco Altagracia is at #4 right now. He won 13 games for us last year with 4.3 WAR, but he needs to do a better job with pitch selection. 4.04 FIP isn't great, but it was better than his ERA. Gerry Wilkins is going to get a chance to see more action as a 5th starter for us, as he pitched well mostly in the pen for us last year, picking up a 3.45 ERA/ 3.50 FIP in 112 innings. He has 2 top pitches, but needs to get his 3rd pitch really hitting to last in the rotation. Yan Bouland had a bad sophomore year (5.68 ERA, 5.66 FIP) after a promising rookie year. I like having at least one lefty in the rotation tho so I might slot him ahead of Wilkins.

In the pen, I'm gonna look at Jerry Carvalho as our lefty setup guy. He missed most of last year after tearing an elbow tendon, and while he can eat up the innings, he doesn't have the pitches to be a starter. He may be able to just blow people away with his 100mph Fastball in short doses tho. Yannick Bogers is another innings eater in the pen for us. He has a couple good pitches and did pitch at a 3.24 ERA last year, but he may have been our luckiest pitcher as he had a 4.45 FIP. I brought in Richard Towson on a cheap one year deal as a free agent after he pitched a million innings for Baton Rouge last year. Injuries are a concern with him, but he's worth a gamble.

Looking at the other arms in the pen for spring training, we've got Andl Ebussuud who started well for us last year, but really had a bad second half of the year. I'm not sure why I offered him arbitration as he isn't a guy who can pile up the Ks or has the top pitches to cause matchup problems. Shaun-yan Huie and Francis Joseph are starting pitchers, but are probably both 4A type pitchers. Ahmet Erez has some good pitches, but I need to see more at the major league level. Wes Lancaster has big time stuff, but has big time control issues and gives up way too many HRs.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
We go 4-1 during the opening campaign of the season. Split a pair of games in Seoul and then swept Lisbon at their place.

Snuffy had the lone bad start of the bunch as he got roughed up on opening day, giving up 8 runs in 4.1 innings. Terrible. It looks like he was hurt by bad defense behind him doe. Who knows? We still won that game. :dunno:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
4-2 this sim. Took 2 of 3 from Istanbul, and 2 of 3 from Helsinborg. Good job team.

Bats aren't doing very much, and while we are making contact/ getting on base enough, we need more power. Pitching is coming along well, and we got 2 nice outings from Hapgood this sim.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Oh Fluff.

1-5 this sim as we have a tough time in Western Europe, losing 2 of 3 in Dublin, and getting swept by Amsterdam. We blew a couple games late that were winnable.

Nobody's hitting besides Delgado who already is at 1.8 WAR.

Fuck my luck.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Rollercoaster ?= sign of a young team. I'm thinking the season will be up and down like this.
Yeah, probably.

I know Delgado's not gonna be this good all year, and I know Funk won't be sub 700 OPS all year, but I need things to sort themselves out. We got some bad luck this sim with Delgado getting hurt on a leadoff triple against Amsterdam and having to put a pitcher in at SS for the rest of the game. Wat da fuq AI?

osick87

Community Liaison
Sorry I didn't get to you in the Preseason Mike. Tomorrow I should be able to do a video about The Bears organization

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Did Chang Ask To Be Traded?
Thursday, June 20th, 2047
Rumor has it that Chae-heui Chang is having second thoughts about playing forBerlin. According to unidentified sources, the 27-year-old Bomber Bears reliever has asked to be traded, citing personal reasons.

Try pitching better, and maybe you wouldn't have been moved out of the setup job.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Personal Message from Owner Jim Unknown: New Goals: Rutgers,

Thank you for your years of service with the Berlin Bomber Bears. Here's to another 8 years!
I will submit some new goals each year that I would like to see you accomplish. As well as winning on the field and turning a profit, completing these goals is the best way to keep me happy:

Play close to .500 ball this season
Acquire a Top Player
Build a top-4 minor league system
Keep building your team up, in order to reach the playoffs in the next 5 seasons

I will check in periodically throughout the year with your progress. Good Luck!

Jim Unknown

Did Rickhart Peterson die? Rest in peace dude if you did.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Berlin fans rejoiced as the team announced the signing of IF Holden Rankin. He'll hold down the fort at 3B until anyone with a pulse is ready.