• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Beardown About...Rose Bowl #0

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
So seriously, who else does the Big 12 add to get a CCG? Cincinnati seems obvious, but I doubt a bunch of Southern Baptists will invite BYU into their boys club. Sorry, @jamesnathan, but that's Texas for ya.
I think I heard them say on the Playoff Selection show that the Big12 commish is going to petition the NCAA to let them have 2 divisions of 5 and a CCG (I believe the current rules say you need at least 6 per division). So... maybe they won't need to get anybody.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I think I heard them say on the Playoff Selection show that the Big12 commish is going to petition the NCAA to let them have 2 divisions of 5 and a CCG (I believe the current rules say you need at least 6 per division). So... maybe they won't need to get anybody.

i hate that idea so much. round robin is infinitely better than a CCG but people want that extra game

Brick

what extra game do they want? the extra game ohio state played against toledo or whatever? because that is the "extra game". baylor and ohio state played the same number of conference games. and their final games were both played yesterday against similar teams.

no one will mention that on espn doe.

Simo77

This is still better than the BCS. Would've been Bama vs. FSU. :vomit:
You're right. And we all would have hated it. People would have bitched about Oregon, TCU, Baylor and SEC Bias. I doubt seriously anyone in the old system would have ever uttered anything about Ohio State. But while I don't agree with the playoff has ruined the regular season yet. The committee has in its first instance sinned just as great as the BCS ever did. As was pointed out already, the BCS's problem was exclusion of deserving teams. The playoff in its first run got it wrong and included an undeserving team. That repeated over time, can erode the regular season.

This was a conference with more money, with a brand able to draw more money, simply forcing itself in.

DHawkeye

Eterna Optimis
@Mr. Tennessee @Southpaw

Iowa v. Tennessee in the Pussyslayer Taxslayer Bowl. I don't watch the ESSEESEE cuz it's too fast for my midwestern brain to comprehend. Is UT any good this year? Or are we going to have to rename it the Pillowfight Bowl?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You're right. And we all would have hated it. People would have bitched about Oregon, TCU, Baylor and SEC Bias. I doubt seriously anyone in the old system would have ever uttered anything about Ohio State. But while I don't agree with the playoff has ruined the regular season yet. The committee has in its first instance sinned just as great as the BCS ever did. As was pointed out already, the BCS's problem was exclusion of deserving teams. The playoff in its first run got it wrong and included an undeserving team. That repeated over time, can erode the regular season.

This was a conference with more money, with a brand able to draw more money, simply forcing itself in.

You're right, but at least 2 more semi-deserving teams get in (Oregon is deserving for sure, OSU would be if Baylor and TCU didn't exist). That's the way I'm looking at it, at least. In the BCS, 2 for sure deserving teams would've been left out (Baylor and Oregon). Under the playoff, only one was.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I don't give a shit either way about any of these teams, but Ohio state did basically go through 3 qbs and still won their ccg by 59

gilstein21

i don't really like how the SEc slotted the pool of 6 bowls. Some boring matchups that have happened in semi-recent years.

sayo

YEET
"I still believe Arkansas could beat any big 12 tean [sic], even TCU or Baylor." - Facebook

Someone tried to make this argument last night talking about how Arkansas was good lol. And same with the big 12 not having a championship somehow discrediting the conference's strength.

Mr. Tennessee

That Crazy Linux Guy
Utopia Moderator
@Mr. Tennessee @Southpaw

Iowa v. Tennessee in the Pussyslayer Taxslayer Bowl. I don't watch the ESSEESEE cuz it's too fast for my midwestern brain to comprehend. Is UT any good this year? Or are we going to have to rename it the Pillowfight Bowl?
Vols defense is okay. I dislike the play calling abilities of our OC because he constantly calls passes 5 yards behind the LOS. However, I think it'll be a good game.

Hard to believe it'll be in Jacksonville. I might actually go to that one since it's where my Old Man lived about 20~ years and have enjoyed going to Jacksonville. Plus, it being a two hour drive is another good thing.

gilstein21

Heard certain schools bitched about their matchups. I don't blame them, but had to shuffle things around.

well the whole idea was to get some new, intriguing matchups in possible locations that teams hadn't been to recently. LSU playing Wisky already probably complicated matters, but shit some of the match ups are blah. I also don't know how much flexibility those bowls has with the opponent choice either. I was hoping Auburn could get Notre Dame since the two have never played and it'd probably be an 82-76 game.

Renegade

Charge on!
Heard certain schools bitched about their matchups. I don't blame them, but had to shuffle things around.

UCF had heard Pitt would be the opponent in the St Pete, then it changed literally last minute I'm told to NC State. My only worry with NC State is that our long-term DC is their DC now, so he knows our team inside and out. Otherwise, I look forward to taking a 2-1 lead in the series.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
well the whole idea was to get some new, intriguing matchups in possible locations that teams hadn't been to recently. LSU playing Wisky already probably complicated matters, but shit some of the match ups are blah. I also don't know how much flexibility those bowls has with the opponent choice either. I was hoping Auburn could get Notre Dame since the two have never played and it'd probably be an 82-76 game.

Sure. I think the 2 biggest ones I heard were Florida not wanting to go to the Taxslayer and Texas A&M not wanting to go to Texas (Houston). I can understand that. If those were the plans and then you have to shuffle things around, well it's going to limit things.

DHawkeye

Eterna Optimis
Vols defense is okay. I dislike the play calling abilities of our OC because he constantly calls passes 5 yards behind the LOS. However, I think it'll be a good game.

Hard to believe it'll be in Jacksonville. I might actually go to that one since it's where my Old Man lived about 20~ years and have enjoyed going to Jacksonville. Plus, it being a two hour drive is another good thing.

Ugh. Sounds almost exactly like Iowa (functional defense, moribund offense). We might wind up giving the VT/Wake game a run for its money. Let's hope at least one of the teams can find something on offense in the intervening month.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
No one is seriously considering NDSU. Cincy, BYU, and UCF are legitimate targets. Maybe Boise.

SMU is 35 miles from TCU, they already have the Dallas "market." They have 4 Texas teams, they don't need any more, especially one that just went 1-11.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
A natural rivalry dating back to the SWC? I love NDSU but what would they add? A TV market of 150,000 people? SMU is in the heart of Dallas. Both of these schools(SMU,Houston) would represent a TV market of nearly 9 million people.

Big 12 is already all over Texas. No need to add any more schools from that cocksucker of a state.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
No one is seriously considering NDSU. Cincy, BYU, and UCF are legitimate targets. Maybe Boise.

SMU is 35 miles from TCU, they already have the Dallas "market." They have 4 Texas teams, they don't need any more, especially one that just went 1-11.

Don't forget Memphis. They picked the right year to be good.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Is Memphis really a contender? Meh if so.

For Big 12 expansion? Yeah, I've heard them mentioned. They make sense with Cincinnati if you want to build a bridge to West Virginia.

Money aside, if they are going to expand, they should think about 14, or maybe 16.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Big 16 West: BYU, Colorado State, Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU
Big 16 East: Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, West Virginia, Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulane, UCF

I'd still prefer this, though

Pac-16 West: Washington, Wazzu, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA
Pac-16 East: Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Texas, OU, Kansas, [insert current Big 12 team other than Baylor because fuck Baylor]

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Vegas trip? I am probably going.

Nope. Will be out of the country.

Although, honestly, would consider it if I were around. Would probably be like $500 for 2 for the weekend. You can do Vegas really cheaply if you don't gamble like @Bmack

Last edited: