• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

B1G Basketball Thread

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana all with nice wins to end the season. I'm expecting a crazy B1G tourney. Hopefully one of those teams can get to the B1G final, especially Illinois.

Nebraska has Indiana on the road Wednesday night then finish out with a odd men's women's doubleheader with Wisky Sunday. We get wins in both and one in the tourney, well be dancing. Any more losses will be killer, and NIT bound.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Nebraska, though, has the potential to be one of those rare major conference schools that would actually give a shit about the NIT if they fall there.

Chase

Nebraska has Indiana on the road Wednesday night then finish out with a odd men's women's doubleheader with Wisky Sunday. We get wins in both and one in the tourney, well be dancing. Any more losses will be killer, and NIT bound.

I don't think beating Indiana + Wisconsin + B1G 1st round loss = dancing. Depends what other teams do, bids getting stolen, etc.

goblue96

Michigan has the chance to win the B1G outright for the first time since '86 and we get Dakiched. :emo:

Chase

Michigan gets the 1 seed in the B1G and Sparty/Wisconsin/Ohio State will probably be on the other side of the bracket.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't know for sure. Michigan lost the national player of the year, a first round draft pick, and a preseason All American and still won the B1G. Miles probably deserves it considering it's Nebrasketball (especially if they get a tourney bid), but I don't think it's that obvious.

goblue96

If they beat Wisky, they all court stormin and carrying Miles off the floor. Coach of the damn year.

Acca-sucse me????

beilein.jpg

Loses two players to first-round picks in the NBA and then McGary in January. That's three starters from last year's squad....wins B1G title.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Acca-sucse me????

beilein.jpg

Loses two players to first-round picks in the NBA and then McGary in January. That's three starters from last year's squad....wins B1G title.

First of all, is sum thin stuck in your throat? I'm not arguing you guys have had a solid year, to rebound from the draft picks plus McGarys injury, but Um, we were picked to be DEAD LAST this year. Top half to third finish? On the brink of making the dance for the first time in 16 years? I say that's worth something, not no damn participation ribbon.

this ain't intramurals, either, brother

goblue96

All @DeadMan and I are saying is that your case for Miles isn't as a cut and dry as you're making it out to be. He has some competition.

Corn Hawk

In general, I don't like the tendency of people to vote for the coach of a team that was mediocre instead of bad over the coach who led his team to the championship. That plus all of the guys Michigan lost, and I would vote for Beilein.

That's not to diminish what Miles has done, because it really is amazing. This season has been so enjoyable to watch, and I think they're going to be pretty good for a few years at least. I think I'm more excited about Nebrasketball than I ever have been.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Game day. The Vault will be fucking crazy. Only Michigan has literally stolen a win from there. As much as I hate to say it, Wisky gets the second. Only way it doesn't is Miles has his troops control tempo and force bad shots from Wisky.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Game day. The Vault will be fucking crazy. Only Michigan has literally stolen a win from there. As much as I hate to say it, Wisky gets the second. Only way it doesn't is Miles has his troops control tempo and force bad shots from Wisky.

This guy knows what the fuck he's talkin about. #courtstorming #rockingthevault

Chase

Nebraska is good to go now and won't even be a last 4 team in. Just don't lose to Purdue.

Chase

Purdue has to get past OSU first before they get Nebraska.

Yeh. I'm saying Nebraska will still be in if they lose to Ohio State, but if Purdue somehow played Nebrasky and won, then the Huskers would be in big trouble.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Apparently we were both right: Miles CotY per coaches, Beilein by media. Beilein says it's Tim Miles award. :)

Plotty

Tath Meacher
I thought so too for a while. And OSU almost choked against the Due. I like our chances tomorrow.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
We might be saying RIP Nebraska the way OSU is talking about "making amends" for what happened in Lincoln. Very motivated team we have today.

Chase

What a collapse. But probably better that Nebraska lost. You guys will probably be in a 7/10, 6/11 game rather than being in an 8/9 game and getting a 1 seed in the 2nd round.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Minus the last ten minutes we played very well. Foul trouble and stupid basketball killed us. But when we play well we can beat people down. I still think we are twerking like Kent Pavelka said Sunday night.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Michigan has won 6 of the last 9 in basketball again MSU and just won the B1G by 3 games. We're just fine, thank you.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Yeah, almost glad we lost to OSU now - I am much happier with our draw than if we would have made a run in the B1G tourney and been a 9 seed.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
This article is really trippy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-horford/a-bond-beyond-march-madne_b_5036864.html

The glimmer of fame that trophies and awards bring is fleeting. Rings and watches can be lost, names will be forgotten, records will be surpassed, but what survives eternally are the memories that make up connections, the impact you have had on the lives of people, from the ones you love to those you never knew, and how you feel in regards to the way you went about your existence. What are the achievements of the individual when compared to the success of the many? If a person competes to capture the title of the greatest or primarily for self-interest, then it cannot be said to be everlasting. For all people speak differently of the same things, and no human, as revered as he or she may be, has ever done something of true significance on his or her own.

If you want to get ahead in life then you have to look out for yourself. You have to see everyone as a threat to the well being of your future family; you have to think of all individuals as competition that need to be uprooted in order for you to thrive, and you have to believe whole heartedly in the primordial phrase eat or be eaten ... or, so we are lead to believe.

To those kept at bay by the invisible social barrier that is the Division 1 label, the inter workings of such a venture may seem nothing more than a group of oversized barbarians coming together to put an orange rubber ball through an elevated metal rim. While basketball is exactly that in the most basic sense, what people rarely choose to see is what truly makes these years as a player well spent.

Expending thousands of hours in order to inch nearer to a goal will bring people closer, but laughing and struggling is what brings people together. We all have goals and ambitions that we believe will bring us a sense of everlasting satisfaction and purpose, but it is the people and memories that occupy the space between that make the struggle bearable. It's knowing that you aren't where you want to be but feeling content regardless due to words of encouragement from one of your brothers who understands what you are experiencing. It's laughs shared by the group over nothing that can alter your mentality and change a very human woe into a sense of community acceptance innately desired by all people. The rarely acknowledged ability to make others feel that they are a part of the family without forcing kindness or adhering to stereotypical team gestures is what gives this collection of individuals the genuine feeling of being a team.

Naturally displayed from time to time are infuriating shows of ignorance and selfishness that are simply the mark of us beings called humans; but to accept, forgive, and carry on is what makes the group a family. To understand that winning together is not great because of the trophies and recognition, but rather for the fact that as a group, you dedicated precious limited earthly hours, to create a bond that allows you access to the realization that what truly is most important in life are the bonds themselves.

All I can think of after reading that article is this gif:

13050913744_36f4b6f523_o.gif

goblue96

2014 ACC/B1G Challenge:

2014 ACC/Big Ten Challenge schedule (times and networks will be announced in August):
Monday, December 1

Nebraska at Florida State
Rutgers at Clemson
Tuesday, December 2
Syracuse at Michigan
Ohio State at Louisville
Pittsburgh at Indiana
NC State at Purdue
Illinois at Miami
Minnesota at Wake Forest
Wednesday, December 3
Duke at Wisconsin
Michigan State at Notre Dame
Iowa at North Carolina
Virginia at Maryland
Georgia Tech at Northwestern
Virginia Tech at Penn State

purple112

Go Berzerk
Seeing Virginia /Maryland in there is so weird. Duke/Wiscy and Cuse/Michigan should be good. ND/MSU is either 40lb time or Brey's big upset that year.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Petteway returning for junior year. No surprise. We could be beef jerky tough next year. Maybe even win a damn NCAA tourney game.