• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

AP Poll's Top Programs.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Interesting.

If it included everything -- bowl appearances/wins, conference titles, Heismans, All-Americans, first round draft picks, etc. -- a case can be made for SC as #1 overall.

Personally, I'd say SC, Notre Dame, and Bama are the top 3 all time programs; in which specific order is certainly debatable. Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. are right there too.

It's all subjective obviously, but that's what makes CFB so awesome.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
College Football News weighed the AP points differently (25 points for an AP title, 24 for a #2 finish, etc.) and OU came out on top. I think there's a clear top tier above everyone else: Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and USC.

Pretty cool that we have OU-Ohio State the next two years and Alabama-USC this year at a neutral site.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Curious which 5 titles they let USC claim. USC itself claims 11, which includes shared titles such as 1974 (Oklahoma), 1978 (Alabama), and 2003 (LSU).

But I'd say that list is fair. Agree with 'wheels that there is a layer of teams which, historically speaking, are above the rest.

I'd think a more comprehensive comparison would include not just the poll rankings and bowl appearances, but also NFL draftees, ex-players in both the CFB and Pro Football HoF, record against ranked teams, etc. I suspect the rankings would still be similar to this one, but a few teams change around.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I know it. I was actually at USC during the nadir of those dark years. :(

epic-hugs-friends-minion.gif

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Some of these stats are just insane

There have only been three seasons during the 80-year history of the AP poll in which the Buckeyes were not ranked at least once, the fewest poll-less seasons of any program.

Mostly under coach Tom Osborne, the Cornhuskers were unranked in only three polls combined during the 1970s, '80s and '90s _ appearing in 99.35 percent over three decades

From Nov. 11, 1990-Sept. 9, 2001, the Seminoles were never ranked lower than 11th under coach Bobby Bowden.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
17 UCLA (535 Points)

ucla_logo.png

Total appearances:521, 47.23% of all polls
First appearance:1939
No.1 ranking:7
Championships:None
Best full decade:1980s appeared in 72.67% of polls.
Worst full decade:1940s appeared in 29.55% of polls.
Poll point:Highest ranked team to never win a championship.

:thumbsup:

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
State is below Duke...I know they've had Spurrier and been to a Rose Bowl but sheesh that's terrible

Lightningwar

Administrator
If they pushed it back to 1934 the Gophers may crack the top 30. How bad are the gophers when they have 4 national championships and barely make it in the 30s?

Lightningwar

Administrator
FSU looks pretty solid given their football program didnt start until 1947. Chang the timeline to the past 50 years and they are probably top 5 or 3.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
#34 BYU
#49 Houston

Just gonna leave this here for any Big 12 big wigs who are still undecided about expansion...

stolen from an OU board:

Some quick analysis of the AP numbers. Unsurprisingly, the Big 12 is absolute trash:

Big 12:
Mean 42.00
Median 43.50
Range 81.00

B1G:
Mean 33.29
Median 30.50
Range 85.00

SEC:
Mean 30.29
Median 19.50
Range 85.00

ACC w/Notre Dame:
Mean 37.73
Median 38.00
Range 77.00

ACC w/o Notre Dame:
Mean 40.21
Median 39.50
Range 71.00

PAC-12:
Mean 37.17
Median 31.00
Range 60.00

There is no one on the board who would improve this for the Big 12. Half the conference isn't even in the top 40. That's atrocious.

Here's some added numbers (just means) while I procrastinate for work:

Old Big 12

Current Big 12 with Houston and BYU

Current Big 12 with Houston/BYU/Cincy/CSU

PAC 16 (OU/UT/Tech/OSU)
34.8 (better than Old Big 12)

Big 16 (OU/UT + Big 10)

Big 18 (OU/UT/KU/Mizzou + Big 10)

And since there is always this discussion from Big 12 apologists on "WELL, IF YOU TAKE FSU AND CLEMSON AWAY FROM THE ACC, WHAT DO YOU HAVE LEFT?!?" or "WELL, IF YOU TAKE USC AND UCLA AWAY FROM THE PAC, WHAT DO YOU HAVE LEFT?!?"

Well, this is what average you have left if you remove the two highest ranked teams from each conference (for the ACC, because its always FSU and Clemson, I choose those two, even though Miami is above Clemson). In parentheses is the change in ranking without the two teams, demonstrating how much those two teams carry the conference (larger the number, more reliant is the conference on those two teams):

ACC sans FSU/Clemson: 45.1 (-4.9)
Big 10 sans tOSU/NU: 38.3 (-5)
PAC sans USC/UCLA: 42.4 (-5.2)
SEC sans Alabama/UF: 34.2 (-3.8)
Big 12 sans OU/UT:

....wait for it...

51.4 (-9.3)
barrylaugh2.gif

So yes, the rest of the Big 12 drags OU and UT more than the rest of every other conference drags down their respective high performers. Heck, you take USC and UCLA out of the PAC, and their remaining average (42.4) is the same as the Big 12's with OU and UT (42.1).

We need out of this conference. We need out of it yesterday.