• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Another custom Spread playbook

Here is a link to my custom playbook that I have been tinkering with forever: HUNH Balanced Spread

It is based primarily on 11 and 10 personnel, along with a little 12 personnel stuff, entirely out of the shotgun and pistol (except for one goal line set).

The run game is based primarily on inside zone and outside zone, although there are some plays with pulling linemen (Buck Sweep, Strong Power, Counter, Power) as well. Most sets have some plays that can utilize the QB as a running thread (zone reads, dart reads, and QB wrap), but having a stud running QB isn't strictly necessary.

The passing game utilizes a number of Air Raid concepts, but also incorporates a decent dose of play action and "pro style" concepts as well.

Formations by Personnel Grouping:

12 Personnel Package:
Pistol - Twin TE
Pistol - Wing Trips TE
Shotgun - Twin TE
Shotgun - Twin TE Slot Wk

11 Personnel Package:
Pistol - Slot
Pistol - Wing Trips
Shotgun - Normal
Shotgun - Normal HB Wk
Shotgun - Normal Wing Offset
Shotgun - Normal Flex Wing
Shotgun - Normal Flex Wing Wk
Shotgun - Trio
Shotgun - Trey Open Offset
Shotgun - Empty Spread

10 Personnel Package:
Shotgun - Spread
Shotgun - Spread Flex
Shotgun - Spread Flex Wk
Shotgun - Trey 4WR
Shotgun - Trips
Shotgun - Trips HB Wk
Shotgun - Trips Open

Goal Line (32 Personnel):
Power I - Tight

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Interesting that you use Power I with 2 FBs as they are not used anywhere else in your book. If you want to stick to that formation, there's a TE Backfield sub that will make it a 22 personnel formation. Personally, I would recommend using something like Pistol Jumbo Z & Ace Jumbo Z, so you have two formations with the same personnel. One has zone read and the other has the QB sneak.

Overall, it looks like a good book. What pro concepts do you use in the passing game?

Interesting that you use Power I with 2 FBs as they are not used anywhere else in your book. If you want to stick to that formation, there's a TE Backfield sub that will make it a 22 personnel formation. Personally, I would recommend using something like Pistol Jumbo Z & Ace Jumbo Z, so you have two formations with the same personnel. One has zone read and the other has the QB sneak.

Overall, it looks like a good book. What pro concepts do you use in the passing game?

Yeah, that is a silly bit of inconsistency. But the game makes me recruit fullbacks (and usually I just recruit TEs and move them to fullback), so I might as well put them to some use, right?

And the Power O out of that formation is a pretty darn consistent short yardage play.

Z spot is the main concept that I think of as being a primary West Coast Offense staple that I use quite a bit (unless you count Slants, which I think is more universal). There are several other concepts that appear here and there that aren't generally considered Air Raid and don't trace their lineage to the Run 'n' Shoot...I am lumping them is as "Pro Style" for lack of a better term. Those include Trail Shake, Comebacks, Outs and a few funky things that I like from Trips Open that I don't know how to classify.

I considered doing more of a write up for this book, but I don't know how interested people actually are in that kind of stuff these days.

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Also, welcome to Nutopia. I don't think I've seen you on the old boards unless you were under a different name.

Also, welcome to Nutopia. I don't think I've seen you on the old boards unless you were under a different name.

Hey thanks. I was around and somewhat active a couple of years back, but didn't really make the jump when Utopia moved from being a sub-forum at OS.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Good write-up. Question how well does it work when it meets resistance? Come play some OD ball with us.

There is a former user controlled Washington State team in the BSCFL that is loaded.

Good write-up. Question how well does it work when it meets resistance? Come play some OD ball with us.

There is a former user controlled Washington State team in the BSCFL that is loaded.

I've mainly used it off-line, but have had some great success with it againt online randoms.

I'd love to join an OD, but I am a PS3 guy.

Also, I think using WSU would cause me too much self-loathing.

Thanks though.