• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Am I a better QB than Brandon Harris?

Is smeth?

• Total voters

smeth

I don't know if we're just numb to how bad the QB play has been at LSU over past like 8 years but it is crazy to think that with all the talent LSU brings in that they can't find a competent QB. As someone who watches QB for a living, it bothers me so much watching Harris play. Physically, yeah, he can sling it, although his technique is pretty bad and his slow release gets him in trouble. The problem is that the kid can't process information at a fast enough speed to deal with most defences at this level. Add in the fact that his accuracy is woeful and you get an LSU offense with tremendous talent that can't move the ball. Even with the OLINE being mediocre the last two weeks, there have still been places to throw the ball and Harris hasn't gotten it done.

3 plays from the Arkansas game and 1 from the Alabama game made me so angry:

There was a 3rd down play, still early in the Bama game where LSU had a 2-man concept to the left side of the formation and then released Fournette to that same side on a little check angle route. Harris took a lot of time to come off the 2-man concept which was his first progression (camera angle never showed what the routes were) and then came late over the middle, underneath to Fournette who was wide open for over a second before throwing the ball well wide of the RB who was literally over the center, right in front of and he misses him.

Against Arkansas-
-First play of the game, a deep crossing route for Malachi Dupree (who has been very good recently) off play action where Dupree is wide open but Harris hits an Arkansas defender in the back who wasn't even looking at the ball.

-There was a go route that Harris decided to throw even though our WR (Diarse?) was being man handled and even pushed out of bounds. You can just say presnap, "ok I'm gonna throw this route no matter what". Diarse was never open and Harris never even thought about getting to his 2nd progression.

- The touchdown pass on the deflection to Dupree. LSU lines up in trips to one side and has their TE (Jeter) lined up weak. The concept calls for the 2 inside slots to run hook routes on the goal line while the outside WR runs a back of the endzone IN route. The weakside TE is running an out route on the goal line. Listen, I don't know what Cam Cameron is teaching as a progression on this concept but with the that trips IN route taking a long time to come across the field, you would assume that the read should have been to start with the backside OUT route and then if it's not there, by the time you get your head turned, Dupree is coming open across the back of the endzone. Arkansas played man and Jeter is very open on his cut on the goal line out route. For some reason Harris read the trips side first, and tried to squeeze the ball into one of the hook routes and then luckily the ball was deflected and fortuitously found its way into the hands of Dupree.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Finally a thread on the mystifyingly shitty QB recruits that LSU scrounges up. I don't get it.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Les Miles has taken over the mantle of QB killa from Houston Dale Nutt.

As an Arkansas fan I never fear playing LSU because I know if you can stop the run then you have a chance to win.

I hope they never run Les out of town.

smeth

I just don't think this is a Les Miles (or a Cam Cameron) thing. Harris and Jennings just aren't good. It's a chicken salad out of chicken shit thing.
Les Miles has taken over the mantle of QB killa from Houston Dale Nutt.

As an Arkansas fan I never fear playing LSU because I know if you can stop the run then you have a chance to win.

I hope they never run Les out of town.

I'm not sure it's a Les Miles (or Cam Cameron thing). There have been competent QBs at LSU under Miles (Flynn and Mettenberger). Everywhere else on the field, we generally dominate. It's just that you need a competent QB to move the sticks consistently and we don't have that.

Brick

Bama has success with random bangs QBs they prolly put from some high school QB frat. Not sure why LSU struggles so much.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I just don't think this is a Les Miles (or a Cam Cameron) thing. Harris and Jennings just aren't good. It's a chicken salad out of chicken shit thing.

I'm not sure it's a Les Miles (or Cam Cameron thing). There have been competent QBs at LSU under Miles (Flynn and Mettenberger). Everywhere else on the field, we generally dominate. It's just that you need a competent QB to move the sticks consistently and we don't have that.

He inherited Flynn and was fortunate that Mecklenberger was run out of UGA and had to go to a JUCO. I actually like Coach Miles schtick and think he is a good dude (and superior recruiter), but the failure to have never recruited a quality HS QB in 10+ years is just crazy.

smeth

He inherited Flynn and was fortunate that Mecklenberger was run out of UGA and had to go to a JUCO. I actually like Coach Miles schtick and think he is a good dude (and superior recruiter), but the failure to have never recruited a quality HS QB in 10+ years is just crazy.
Right right. I agree with that. Bad evaluation of HS talent at the position? Which is weird considering for how long this has gone on and how many different recruiters/asst coaches have been there.

atlbraves

Perriloux? Wasn't he the Tebow to Matt Flynn's Chris Leak when LSU beat OSU? He was good when he was still on the team IIRC

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?

I'm pretty sure it's a Les Miles thing. Flynn was generally average to below average for an SEC quarterback. Every LSU starting QB that hasn't had at least two years to develop outside of Les Miles's coaching staff has been awful (Lee, Jefferson, Jennings, Harris) and generally regressed over time.

smeth

I'm pretty sure it's a Les Miles thing. Flynn was generally average to below average for an SEC quarterback. Every LSU starting QB that hasn't had at least two years to develop outside of Les Miles's coaching staff has been awful (Lee, Jefferson, Jennings, Harris) and generally regressed over time.

Well considering he's played in the league for the past like 6 years, I'd say he was probably above average.

Let me tell you something about recruiting QBs... it's not easy. So you go see Harris' high school tape and you see the way he can fucking sling it (sometimes you watch him throw and it reminds you of Jamarcus) and you think, "well, he has all the physical tools, we can teach him the rest" but sometimes it just doesn't work out. And I do believe that it often has to do with the QB itself, very often, rather than coaching. And it goes both ways. I've had QBs where I feel, "he's never gonna get it no matter what I do" and then I have guys where I feel like I'm useless because the kid has a such a high ability to process information. Considering how well we've recruited everywhere else on the field, it's just unfortunate how bad we've been with like 7 players out of the 100s that we've recruited. When I recruit QBs, I get the much needed benefit of having open tryouts so I can see them up close and personal before we sign them. You don't get that in the NCAA.

The thing with Cam Cameron's offense is that it is SO SIMPLE. When you go back and watch 2013, they didn't run anything complicated because they had Mett, Jarvis and ODB. They ran Go-Out-Out like every single 3rd down. They ran isolated WR slants when the defense gave it to them. And then I watch Harris lock his eyes on a fade route when the WR is getting pushed out of of bounds and never take his eyes off and go to the next progression. That's not Cam's fault.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Does LSU fall into the trap of only recruiting 1 QB a year or something? QB is one of the hardest positions to project, so I want a program that has 6 scholarship QBs on it. Why doesn't LSU have 3 potential starting options instead of trotting out some mediocre QB year after year? Or is Les really taking 2 QBs a class and missing on every single one?

smeth

Does LSU fall into the trap of only recruiting 1 QB a year or something? QB is one of the hardest positions to project, so I want a program that has 6 scholarship QBs on it. Why doesn't LSU have 3 potential starting options instead of trotting out some mediocre QB year after year? Or is Les really taking 2 QBs a class and missing on every single one?

We don't recruit many per year

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?

We've had a few guys who've transferred (Chris Garrett, Hayden Rettig, Stephen Rivers, maybe Jerrard Randall), all 3* or 4* who never sniffed the field. We had no qualifying QB signees in 2010 or 2012.

Edit: I think we have around 5 scholarship fullbacks on the team this year.

Well considering he's played in the league for the past like 6 years, I'd say he was probably above average.

Let me tell you something about recruiting QBs... it's not easy. So you go see Harris' high school tape and you see the way he can fucking sling it (sometimes you watch him throw and it reminds you of Jamarcus) and you think, "well, he has all the physical tools, we can teach him the rest" but sometimes it just doesn't work out. And I do believe that it often has to do with the QB itself, very often, rather than coaching. And it goes both ways. I've had QBs where I feel, "he's never gonna get it no matter what I do" and then I have guys where I feel like I'm useless because the kid has a such a high ability to process information. Considering how well we've recruited everywhere else on the field, it's just unfortunate how bad we've been with like 7 players out of the 100s that we've recruited. When I recruit QBs, I get the much needed benefit of having open tryouts so I can see them up close and personal before we sign them. You don't get that in the NCAA.

The thing with Cam Cameron's offense is that it is SO SIMPLE. When you go back and watch 2013, they didn't run anything complicated because they had Mett, Jarvis and ODB. They ran Go-Out-Out like every single 3rd down. They ran isolated WR slants when the defense gave it to them. And then I watch Harris lock his eyes on a fade route when the WR is getting pushed out of of bounds and never take his eyes off and go to the next progression. That's not Cam's fault.

It seems like a coaching issue when our QBs turn out awful pretty consistently. If we've just so happened to consistently land subpar recruits, then I can't imagine how awful some of the transfers have been (Chris Garrett, Hayden Rettig and Stephen Rivers come to mind). The only definitively successful QB recruit in Miles's tenure was a guy who came into the program as a RS SO from UGA via JUCO.

Flynn was a statistically average SEC QB with a relatively strong supporting cast. In 8 of his 12 games, his TD:INT ratio was 1:1 or worse. His bowl game performance was outstanding and I think we'd definitely take him back today, but his staying power in the NFL is a surprise given his college performance.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I enjoyed the part about stepping up in the pocket where the Louisville QB throws for a 3 yard gain when he could have run for 8.

smeth

I enjoyed the part about stepping up in the pocket where the Louisville QB throws for a 3 yard gain when he could have run for 8.
it's classic teddy. it's still a good example because he went through like all of his progressions which most qb's cant/