• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Air Raid Offense

CoachTuck

I hate that guys roll up right up into man because I really hate having to run corner routes to get them out of it and sometimes they stay in it and it's like well okay this is what your asking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, Tight is a good formation as well, either one is good.

I hate that guys roll up right up into man because I really hate having to run corner routes to get them out of it and sometimes they stay in it and it's like well okay this is what your asking for

Pretty much, haha. If they don't want to change, keep hitting them with it. It's annoying, but it's their problem.

CoachTuck

Motioning that middle slot on the line makes drive a major headache for people, I wanna improve the speed of my air raid

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
UC: Ace, Spread, Trips 4WR
Gun: Ace, Split Offset, Split Slot, Spread, Spread HB Wk, Spread Flex, Spread Flex Wk, Double Flex, Trips, Trips HB Wk, Trey 4WR, Trips Open, Trips Open Str, 5WR Trips, 5WR Trio, 5WR Trey

CoachTuck

UC: Ace, Spread, Trips 4WR
Gun: Ace, Split Offset, Split Slot, Spread, Spread HB Wk, Spread Flex, Spread Flex Wk, Double Flex, Trips, Trips HB Wk, Trey 4WR, Trips Open, Trips Open Str, 5WR Trips, 5WR Trio, 5WR Trey
Do you even use your 5 preset audibles or are you just going off the strength of your quick audibles

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Bruce Eien has written a few books and made DVD's about his passing game. @TXHusker05 may find this useful.

Eien is something of a passing guru at the high school level. All of his stuff is Air Raid with different variations off the same concept. He breaks his passing game down in categories: smash, shallow, triangle, and flood. It's a solid passing game that I've decided to recreate by using 20+ variations of 10 personnel formations out of the gun and under center.

This is the ENTIRE playlist that Eien himself says is more polished and in-depth than the DVD he sells.

Here's his playbook. Tack on whatever run game you like and go to work!

http://www.bruceeien.com/fat/06passing.pdf

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Bruce Eien has written a few books and made DVD's about his passing game. @TXHusker05 may find this useful.

Eien is something of a passing guru at the high school level. All of his stuff is Air Raid with different variations off the same concept. He breaks his passing game down in categories: smash, shallow, triangle, and flood. It's a solid passing game that I've decided to recreate by using 20+ variations of 10 personnel formations out of the gun and under center.

This is the ENTIRE playlist that Eien himself says is more polished and in-depth than the DVD he sells.

Here's his playbook. Tack on whatever run game you like and go to work!

http://www.bruceeien.com/fat/06passing.pdf

That Smash Flip concept around 10:58 gives me some ideas. Like I said in the Spread thread about how you can manually motion a receiver and snap it and have him run a route without the awkward pause if it is a shallow, i wonder if that would apply to a pivot as well. Could create that Smash Flip concept very easily.

Will have to go through the PDF and pluck out some pass concepts that are easily created within the offset formations I'm going to run.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
That Smash Flip concept around 10:58 gives me some ideas. Like I said in the Spread thread about how you can manually motion a receiver and snap it and have him run a route without the awkward pause if it is a shallow, i wonder if that would apply to a pivot as well. Could create that Smash Flip concept very easily.

Will have to go through the PDF and pluck out some pass concepts that are easily created within the offset formations I'm going to run.

I'm a strong believer in the Raid. One thing that makes Eien unique is he runs a concept he calls "FSU" that's basically Mark Richt's triangle shallow concept out of a bunch set: shallow, curl, flat.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm a strong believer in the Raid. One thing that makes Eien unique is he runs a concept he calls "FSU" that's basically Mark Richt's triangle shallow concept out of a bunch set: shallow, curl, flat.

I love raid concepts, most of which are fairly standard in any offense, but I can never bring myself to go full on @bruin228. I'm not the most proficient passer to begin with. I know all the concepts, I know the right progression and I know which player I'm supposed to be reading but I get in game and it tends to go haywire on me. Sometimes that is QBA related, other times I'm just getting weird looks or dealing with constant press coverage or just something that throws me for a loop and I wind up reverting to my run game.

A big part of that is just because most users default to stopping the pass game first and don't know how to stop a well designed run game, but mostly I just don't want to make mistakes through the air and put my already horrible defense(s) in a worse spot. I look at my defensive strategy, which is force people to the air and try to force them into a mistake and realize I don't want to fall into that trap myself.

I'm also really uncomfortable with the spacing in the game. The field is too narrow, but also formations don't have "smart" alignments so when the ball is on the hash receivers don't really adjust their alignment. When you're running concepts to the field, it doesn't matter but boundary pass concepts have very little room to operate, especially high low stuff. The problem being that boundary pass concepts are vital to almost every spread offense, raid or otherwise, because most defenses are going to overplay the strength of the formation and/or to the field.

That's the reason I went from being 10/11 personnel in my early Spread-I to being more 20/21/12 personnel compressed sets in my more recent versions of the offense. If the spacing is going to be weird to begin with, I figure I might as well get into compressed sets, get my perimeter receivers more room and have a 6 or 7 man surface to block. That is more "I" than "Spread" but the concepts remain the same.

Giving up on flipping my Shotgun formations was also a big part of my development offensively. It limits what formations I can use on a certain hash, but you're far less likely to deal with awkward alignment or substitution issues. I'm hoping some of the new motion stuff I've been practicing will help bridge the gap. We previously had a rule banning the ball from being snapped while a player was manually motioning and that really took away a big chunk of my offense because I used motion for misdirection just like Malzahn does. "Hey look over here..." and then run or throw the other way. Now that that is gone, I am going to put more effort into motioning guys into and out of my formations both to block and to run routes.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
This is an interesting take on a typical Stick concept, relatively easy to create using the standard stick concepts in game although #2 would only be running an out (or hot route hitch), no option route. I like the idea of having a quick flat throw rather than hoping H runs a good option route. Feel like this would clear up the read, very similar to Z Spot where you have flat/spot that that alley defender is an easy read.

I wonder if I could create this in my Offset Wing formations. Take one of the formations where the H-Back has a pre-assigned flat and then hot route the slot to a hitch or out depending on coverage.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 18.41.15.png

Still going through the rest of that PDF to see if I can find some interesting pass concepts that would be easily recreated within the formations I normally use.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm going to give that a try. The H-Back may be too far in the backfield in the offset wing formations but it's worth a shot. If he is, what I can do is motion the H out of the backfield. I would get an alignment very similar to that where H and Z are maybe a few yards apart. I think that might actually be a really good boundary concept, which would help offset some of the stuff I just talked about above.

I probably should have made the Flat/Hitch (or out) connection before because one of my favorite short yardage plays is the Quick Slants play out of Slot F Wing. You get double slants to the twin receiver side and you get a flat/out to the H/Y side. This is the same, just with the alert fade out wide.

Since I don't flip formations, I'm thinking I could run something like Y Trips to the boundary with my best pass catching TE split as the solo WR to the field. Call Stick as is with my H player hot routed to a flat. Let the solo side TE match up on an undersized corner to run slant which should be a fairly easy backside throw if I get a cloudy read. I was already looking for ways to isolate my big TEs out wide, this would be a good way to make it happen.

Really enjoying that PDF @JSU Zack. I'm no raid guy but I'm taking some detailed notes on a lot of those pass concepts because there are tweaks and adjustments to traditional concepts that I hadn't really thought of before. A lot of this would be very easily created in NCAA.

PSUEagle

The Flat/Quick Out combo is how I've run that concept for awhile TBH, especially to the boundary. If you think about it, the traditional version of Stick (Go/Flat/Option) often functions like a truncated version of Flood: I read the combo described similarly (outside in).

Surprised Ein didn't mention Circus/Flat (The "Corner Strike" concept that's so ubiquitous among the shotgun formations in the game) in his Smash video: IMO that'sthe single best way to run the concept in this game if you want to hit the deeper route most of the time.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The Flat/Quick Out combo is how I've run that concept for awhile TBH, especially to the boundary. If you think about it, the traditional version of Stick (Go/Flat/Option) often functions like a truncated version of Flood: I read the combo described similarly (outside in).

Surprised Ein didn't mention Circus/Flat (The "Corner Strike" concept that's so ubiquitous among the shotgun formations in the game) in his Smash video: IMO that'sthe single best way to run the concept in this game if you want to hit the deeper route most of the time.

Don't you want to stick your corner guy on the line though? That seems like an awkward route to run if you're on the LOS.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

A variation of it in the PDF, as "Flag". It isn't the inside release corner route like in the game, just a standard flag/corner but the concept is still the same with #2 running a flat.

I have never found Corner Strike to be that successful. That's a slow developing route and can be run really awkwardly depending on the receiver and the defense. I've seen that route get mirrored way too often. In theory, I love the idea, it looks just like slant/arrow and then he cuts up the field to run the corner route but in practice not so much.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
It's not great against man, but that play obliterates zone, especially if you get the version that's essentially Shakes.

PSUEagle

Don't you want to stick your corner guy on the line though? That seems like an awkward route to run if you're on the LOS.

I'd rather have him off TBH.

I don't think the Circus route would be awkward so much as the Flat: that route doesn't develop as well from a WR standpoint if he's on. So in order to combat that I like him to run a quick out type route where he goes upfield for three steps, stutters, and heads out. What this does is sell the OLB and CB to that side that it's a Dig/Option combo (same initial action with #1 stemming inside and #2 running upfield), making it more likely the CB will play the out and open up the Circus behind him.

All of this refers to IRL BTW: in the game it doesn't matter as much, although generally speaking you're right if you want to do it the traditional way out of a slot type combination.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Right, who cares in the game, but I thought you generally wanted the corner route runner on the LOS to threaten the CB quicker. Again, it doesn't matter in the game, but Double Flex has always been my favorite formation to run Smash out of.

PSUEagle

Oh you definitely want him on traditional Smash as you said, but Circus/Flat is a little different deal: in that one you want to hide the Circus so he can slip in behind. The other thing there is that by putting him off the line you make it harder for a jam corner to disrupt his release, which is one of the critical things that make the play succeed or fail

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Looks like the version of corner strike is in the PDF, was just farther down. I like the Ralph idea, attacking a MOFC safety with corner strike to one side and drive to the other. Probably easily created in game.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.01.27.png Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.01.42.png

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Ralph is in the game as Flanker Hook. It's the standard smash read on the right with a dig/zag combo on the left.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.52.03.png

Think this concept was mentioned here or elsewhere, but I'm trying to think about how I can create this. I know this is in a ton of traditional gun formations, but there are no three man bunch formations in Offset Gun and I don't want to drift out of Offset Gun. I'm think I could create this with motion out of Flanker Close Wk.

-----X---------------T-G-C-G-T-----Y-------------------
-------------Z--------------------------H-----------------
---------------------------Q------------------------------
-------------------------F---------------------------------

Hot route Y to a curl, H to the shallow, Z to the flat before motioning him over. Once I motion him, the flat route should automatically flip. Would probably have X run a clearout fade instead of a slant. I think I can make that work. I've been toying with adding Flanker Close Wk anyway because it has a lot of good concepts including Smash, Bench, Bubble and a wide trap play and trap read, it would give me a good compressed "spread" set as well, something Offset Gun lacks.

I may even be able to create that in Split Offset, as long as the twin side is to the boundary. 46 Y Cross is already in the game with this concept. It isn't compressed, but if I ran it to the boundary it might be compressed enough to make it work. Could always motion a back out of the backfield as well.

I'm getting ideas.

jonsapp7487

Guys I am new to the raid. The question I have is do you guys always have trouble working the shallow concepts over the middle? The guys I play are very good at lurking the middle and it forces me to attack the sidelines in the passing game. Are there any modifications that I can do ?

guardman23

Guys I am new to the raid. The question I have is do you guys always have trouble working the shallow concepts over the middle? The guys I play are very good at lurking the middle and it forces me to attack the sidelines in the passing game. Are there any modifications that I can do ?
Slant drag if they come up on the drag hit the slant over the top

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

What are they doing? You should be able to just high low the user and force him to either cover the dig or the shallow.

jonsapp7487

That is why I went to the raid it is all read based so people cant really key on one reciever. However this guy is a top 10 player and has elite users.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They are playing the drag and baiting me to throw the square in.

Well, you can run Mesh Dig, they won't be able to cover all three routes. You can also run stuff like Follow to mess with their perception of where the dig is coming from. You can also run another dig behind the first one. So Y runs the shallow, H runs the dig, and then X runs another dig behind him. The user will pick up the first dig and you can hit X in the vacated space.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well, you can run Mesh Dig, they won't be able to cover all three routes. You can also run stuff like Follow to mess with their perception of where the dig is coming from. You can also run another dig behind the first one. So Y runs the shallow, H runs the dig, and then X runs another dig behind him. The user will pick up the first dig and you can hit X in the vacated space.

Thats a great idea with the two digs thanks man.

Another thing you could do is run Pivot Dig. If they are really aggressive in getting after the shallow and taking away the middle of the field, you can turn those shallow/mesh concepts into pivots with a dig behind them. That gives you two good sideline routes plus a way to attack the middle of the field. I actually love doing that with a TE on the line of scrimmage.

I think there are some good Pivot Dig plays in various Empty/5WR formations but you can create it in just about any 2x2 or 3x1 formation using a play like Drive or FL Dig as a base.

Another thing I've taken to doing is using a HB angle route to replace the dig. You can have your slots running either shallows/mesh or pivots and then have the angle run behind it. Your outside receivers can run clear out alert fades or deep comebacks or really whatever you want. If you're seeing a lot of zone, that will put the LBs in a bind in zone. They can either follow the shallows or follow the angle, they can't do both. Vs man, you'll have a good matchup on one of the three routes or the alert fade to either side.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, I was gonna mention the pivot stuff too. The angle route is also good, that's an adjustment Petrino makes. Just throw in Curl Flat from any 2x2 formation and you can hot route the rest of the routes. You'd have to do it on x down and 10 though so your dig gets enough depth.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, I was gonna mention the pivot stuff too. The angle route is also good, that's an adjustment Petrino makes. Just throw in Curl Flat from any 2x2 formation and you can hot route the rest of the routes. You'd have to do it on x down and 10 though so your dig gets enough depth.

Yep, in my case I use 2x2 Spread Flex Smash as the base. It's a play I already use often, but it has that angle route I can use to create things. I've really taken a liking to running shallow with an angle behind it. It is a way to create Y Trail without needing a TE. I started doing it using Pistol Full House, motioning the right upback out into the slot to create it but now I've started doing it everywhere I happen to have an angle. My adjustment to vs MOFO is running pivots with my slots, comebacks with my outside WRs and then hot route the HB to a vertical/seam. It looks just like angle at the snap, but then he takes off up the field. Vs zone, you get a little pick by the TE that frees up the HB up the middle. If the LB happens to ride the HB up the field or jump it expecting angle, the pivot to the TE is right there. Vs man, the slot pivot is usually the hot throw. I've tried it with alert fades on the outside but the safeties can typically play both and I really want them to widen out.

I've been using mesh, shallows and pivots a ton more now that I've gone ludicrous speed tempo in Powerhouse. You get a lot of flexibility with those routes and you can create them on the fly in pretty much every formation.

One thing I've experimented with is a Chip Kelly flat/wheel look. He does it out of 2x2 with a TE, Normal Offset in my case. I call TE Post or whatever it is called where the Slot and outside WR to the TE side run shallow cross and the TE runs a cross. I leave the WR routes the same but hot route the TE to a pivot and the HB to a wheel. You get a really nice clean read vs zone when that shallow/pivot cross each other. Almost like a pick.

I ran a lot of that stuff last night in my game vs FSU in Powerhouse. Full speed tempo, creating routes on the fly. I have started to think less about having concepts in the offense and more about what plays I can put in the offense to use to create other concepts. With an emphasis on concepts that look the same off the snap. Same as some teams vertical stem all their routes so it looks the same off the bat. It isn't easy, but I think HUNH allows the flexibility because you can create the routes as you're lining up without making it obvious you're hot routing everyone to throw the ball.

fanoftgame

I know this is an old post but still wanted give some help.

Quick tip make sure on plays like drive your running them to the wide side of the field. This gives the routes routes more space to operate which is exactly what defenses do not want. I find if someone is able to play two routes the spacing is bad.

Also, Make sure you are maximizing your personel by putting fast guys running the drag and good route runners running the dig. This should help with spacing also.

Think of it like a 2 on 1 fast break. The only what a defender can play both is if the spacing is bad. Passing routes in general should be run in as much space as possible. Like in basketball where its 5 on 5 the best offenses have the best spacing and passing.

fanoftgame

Do you guys trully use the quick game as a replacement for the run game?

If so how much quick game do you use during a game?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Not really. I would love to use the quick screens, but they get jumped way too quickly. Bubble is okay, but blocking is too poor for me to use it over a run against a 5 man box in a game that overpowers the run. I do love tunnel screens, though, especially out of 3x1. And I'll throw the quick screen on the tunnel out of 2x2.

Empty is the exception, though. I love bubble and quick screens in those, especially bubble.

I do use Stick and Smash in short yardage situations, especially in this OD where my team is total dogshit compared to everyone else's, especially at running. I ran Stick off of play action last night in a user game on 3rd and 1 and scored a TD.

fanoftgame

Not really. I would love to use the quick screens, but they get jumped way too quickly. Bubble is okay, but blocking is too poor for me to use it over a run against a 5 man box in a game that overpowers the run. I do love tunnel screens, though, especially out of 3x1. And I'll throw the quick screen on the tunnel out of 2x2.

Empty is the exception, though. I love bubble and quick screens in those, especially bubble.

I do use Stick and Smash in short yardage situations, especially in this OD where my team is total dogshit compared to everyone else's, especially at running. I ran Stick off of play action last night in a user game on 3rd and 1 and scored a TD.

Yea Im trying to get more into pass first offenses but being ground n pound prostyle guy its tough. Im lookimg for high percentage and low risk throws apart from the shallow cross 5 step game I usually run.

Its a problem I have always had with pass first offenses in videogames. I feels like its hard to stay on schedule on stayout of 3rd in long(which is always one of the things im most concerned with).

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yea Im trying to get more into pass first offenses but being ground n pound prostyle guy its tough. Im lookimg for high percentage and low risk throws apart from the shallow cross 5 step game I usually run.

Its a problem I have always had with pass first offenses in videogames. I feels like its hard to stay on schedule on stayout of 3rd in long(which is always one of the things im most concerned with).

Need any help/ideas?

fanoftgame

Need any help/ideas?

Im run heavy as far as tendency at least 2:1 if im doing it right.

Well my thought is to keep my prostyle run first offense but replace the run game with some kind of safe and consistent pass game.

As far as passing im already using a lot of air raid for 5 step game.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Im run heavy as far as tendency at least 2:1 if im doing it right.

Well my thought is to keep my prostyle run first offense but replace the run game with some kind of safe and consistent pass game.

As far as passing im already using a lot of air raid for 5 step game.

Sorry, I totally forgot to respond.

Easiest thing to stay on schedule as far as passing goes is using shallows. The Shallow Cross series and Mesh stuff (and Drive, Follow, etc.) is easy enough, but I like putting them in other concepts, too. I'll audible the option route in Y Cross out of 2x2 to a shallow and the back to a wheel; it gives you a safe checkdown, a clearer window for the high/low read, and you don't have to rely on the WR to make the right read. I'll also use it to create the Flood/Mesh concept I've talked about before. Closed 3x1 or 3x1 out of 10 personnel with the solo WR in a tight set, I'll call a play with #2 on the 3 side running a corner. Hot route the solo side guy to a shallow, the back to an option, #1 on the 3 side to a go, and #3 to a dig:

fd00963257191e0ba53ca0cc1ae1547b.jpg

You can also pair shallow with the Slip Screen, like the Steelers do here: