1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Raid Offense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by bruin228, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    You're right in that you're probably not going to get very many of the advantages that you may get in real life. I have noticed a difference on screens like you mentioned, so that's nice. Otherwise, if I'm splitting out a TE, it's because that formation has something I like, not necessarily because it'll give me the matchup I want like in real life. Normal Y-Flex (or Y-Slot, can never remember) has some nice stuff, like a play called Slot Choice (I think) which is like how teams run Shallow in real life, with the receiver either running the dig or settling in a soft spot against zone. You also get HB Power, which motions the TE across the formation to block and a PA WR In play that includes that motion and then has him run a shallow back to the other side. There's also stuff like Trey Open Offset, which is great to throw out of, because you get six in the box most of the time since the defense recognizes it as 11 personnel. Also, this doesn't help with your TE stuff, but I like including that formation alongside Bunch/Cluster and using the 4WR formation sub. Then you can get a nice 10 personnel 3x1 offset formation and no huddle into a 10 personnel Bunch set.

FSS likes this.
  2. TheSystem

TheSystem Member

As far as Red Zone Concepts: I am with Bruin on Stick and Y corner, I will also use Mesh and HB Screen

TE's like Gronk, Gronk was an Air Raid TE in College and they played him everywhere on the line,split out, H Back. I would do the same. If he is a Gronk he's not going to be covered by the 4th best DB and should have a physical mismatch not speed but size.

Best Route runner goes in the Z spot (outside Right Receiver).

As far as the avi, yep that's Tony at Auburn on a PC, figured it was a great Avi for a board about football. I prefer his running game (zone/read option base) and no huddle style (a fast as you can go approach) vs Mumme/Leach. Technically the line splits and pass blocking styles are different IRL.

FSS likes this.
  3. Gooksta

Gooksta Well-Known Member

Can you be considered an air raid offense if you run the ball more than u pass, but ur passing concepts are primarily air raid concepts?? In your opinion?

4. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Nah

Gooksta likes this.
  5. TheSystem

TheSystem Member

Since you asked.. IMO....no, your a run team that uses air raid pass concepts but you aren't an Air Raid team.

Gooksta likes this.
  6. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Would you consider what Andy Reid is doing with the Chiefs this season as an AR offense?

Just curious on your take. Watching the game last night kinda makes me want to tinker around with a pass first offense but admittedly I have little experience in the concepts and formations.

7. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Nah, more of a spread

Craig7835 and Smashmouth like this.
  8. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    I’ve got the itch to play game again and I want to try out some AR stuff. Right now I’m looking at using mostly 10 and 11 groups from the Gun with a few Ace for under center stuff. Any recommendations? @bruin228

I’m thinking about using all Offset Gun because I want to be quick hitting with the runs when I get a light box and they all have good AR fundamental routes that I can see. Stick, Bubble, Smash, etc. I’m only going to have a single run play for the formation audible, so would you recommend the straight dives or can I get away with some traps? I’m mainly thinking in regards to the guards pulling and if it’s worth it to recruit accordingly or just stick with all Pass Pro lineman.

9. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Hmm the Trap play is sort of slow developing. I’m tempted to make the only running play in each SG set the Read Option. After running the different sets in practice mode I really like how it feels.

Loving the formation subs too. I’ve got Verts, mid/slip screens, and PA bubbles in a few different sets to round everything out.

10. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    10: Spread Flex, Spread Flex Wk, Tight Slots, Trips, Trips Open, Trey 4WR, Empty Quads

11: Normal HB Wk, Wing Trips Wk or Y-Trips Wk, Empty Spread, Bunch/Cluster, Bunch/Cluster HB Str (I prefer Bunch for both), Trey Open Offset, Normal Y-Flex (whichever one has Y Cross, the other one is better for spread books), one closed trips formation (Trips TE, Trey, offset versions of those, whatever)

Don’t think the offset gun formations offer enough in the passing game to justify themselves outside of Spread Flex, which is the best formation in the game

Smashmouth likes this.
  11. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Spread Flex is super nice. No Trios?

Also, personnel. I was thinking of trying to assemble a variety of WR types, or is it better just to recruit BPA and run with it?

12. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Trio 4WR is okay, but not really worth more than the other 3x1 formations in my opinion. Don’t care for Trio 4WR Str at all, but I emphasize passing game over all in pretty much every formation.

H and Y guys I like to be fast considering they’re running the most YAC routes (shallows, sticks, bubbles, other stuff in space) and jet sweeps if you use those.

X and Z guys I like to be tall and good jumpers (more for the purposes of realism than in game - I don’t get the impression it matters a ton). High release guys should be here unless every other attribute screams slot guy and you want good route runners as well, though that’s advice that mostly applies if you’re playing other users; those guys usually get the best man beaters and it’s obviously better to have the best route runners available to overcome good man corners and man mirroring).

BPA is certainly a good approach too, though, especially considering you could make the same case about YAC for X and Z if you run a lot of Smash, Z/X Shallow, mid screens, etc.

Smashmouth likes this.
  13. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    I’m a stickler for realism myself, so I get it. I didn’t put any Jets in the playbook just because I’ve never had great success with them personally. The blocking is hit or miss most times for me. I’ll make up for it with screens. Do you flip formations or have different sets for each side of the field? I read somewhere that Leach doesn’t flip plays so I was planning on having sets to use on the hashes or middle, etc.

I’ll need to look at the built in formation subs but I’m sure they have where you can move slot guys outside and vice versa, swap X/Z sides, etc to target specific guys on specific plays

Thanks for the tips. I’m gonna be working on getting the playbook set up over the next few days (Finals first fml) and then getting a dynasty up and running.

Since I’m a glutton for punishment I was considering taking the mighty AF Blue Falcons and turning them into a Raid team for yuks and also so I can get a real appreciation for the offense once I have personnel to run it lol

14. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    I’ll flip the Bunch sets, but I mostly don’t flip. Not even necessarily because of an certain reason, mostly just because of habit and pace.

I don’t mess with the formation subs too much outside of Spell HB, but one grouping that I do like is using the 4WR package in Trey Open Offset or Normal Y-Slot and going no huddle from that to things like Empty Spread or a Bunch set. One way to get some different 10 personnel sets on the field.

I’ve always wanted to run the raid at Air Force haha, I think it would be a good fit

Smashmouth likes this.
  15. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Dude, with the slick lightning bolts on the helmet? You’re telling me. Falcons are ready for liftoff haha

But ughhh it’s going to be so rough the first few years. Complete overhaul.

16. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Last Q.

I’m pretty sure I have this correct, but I wanna double check anyway. When setting the depth chart: WR1 is the X, WR2 the Z, WR3 the Y, WR4 the H?

And as far as O-line goes, straight pass blockers across the board or does it not really matter as much?

17. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Yes.

I go for pass blockers, but you may want to get balanced guys at guard if you’re going to pull them on Power or Buck Sweep.

18. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Yeah I’m not so sure I’m going to implement that as much. It sounded good in theory, but I don’t think it’s worth giving up a better pass blocker just so I can run occasionally. No need to get fancy.

Have you had any success marrying R&S concepts with the Air Raid?

19. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Not really, but I’m not sure how much I’ve tried. Switch is pretty much the only RNS concept I run. I read about some guy in DII or something that had a raid/RNS offense that he ran out of the pistol a while ago, but I don’t remember looking into it too much.

20. Smashmouth

Smashmouth Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Yeah I saw some Switch stuff while going thru forms earlier so I was curious. I did practice mode with AF earlier just for fun and they weren’t nearly as terrible as I thought they’d be lol

bruin228 likes this.