• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

30 for 30 Thread

bruin

Tommy Morrison doc was gnarly. It's streaming on the watchespn app.

Dude was swimming in poon. Never forget that Bentt fight. Would have loved to see him and Tyson after Tommy signed with King.

Last edited:

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.

Dude was swimming in poon. Never forget that Bentt fight. Would have loved to see him and Tyson after Tommy signed with King.

Sweet, I'll check it out tonight. Morrison's biggest problem is that he had one of the worst glass jaws of all time. Easily one of the best pure power punchers of his day and he had some great, great speed but his jaw was so fragile it would make Glass Joe blush. My dad and I actually met him after his HIV diagnosis at a boxing convention and we both couldn't get over how stone cold dumb he was at all times. The interviews with him prior to his death were really bizarre. Poor guy was so dumb he actually bought into the whole "there is no such thing as HIV/AIDS" conspiracy theory.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator

It was awesome. Tommy was a classic case of to much to soon. Can you imagine growing up dirt poor and then being on the set of Rocky 5 at the age of 20? He had real talent as @TonyGin&Juice described, but no discipline or common sense.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
He and Tyson had a lot in common, minus the glass jaw. Both guys were dumb, Morrison by choice Tyson by birth, both guys were on top of the world before they knew how it worked, and both were hellbent on destruction - personal and professional. I don't think Tommy had the smart or skills to last very long as a true champ had his diagnosis not derailed his career but it would have been interesting to see what he would have done if given the chance.

Tommy was the kind of guy that would have been a frequent flyer of the Oklahoma penal system much earlier had he not had that punching power and speed. Classic case of too much too soon and too dumb not to realize it. I'll have to see what his widow is up to now that he's passed away. They were both so proud and sure HIV/AIDS was "just a myth" and that Tommy wasn't they stopped using protection in the year or so prior to his death. Curios if she's kept that delusion going or not.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
He and Tyson had a lot in common, minus the glass jaw. Both guys were dumb, Morrison by choice Tyson by birth, both guys were on top of the world before they knew how it worked, and both were hellbent on destruction - personal and professional. I don't think Tommy had the smart or skills to last very long as a true champ had his diagnosis not derailed his career but it would have been interesting to see what he would have done if given the chance.

Tommy was the kind of guy that would have been a frequent flyer of the Oklahoma penal system much earlier had he not had that punching power and speed. Classic case of too much too soon and too dumb not to realize it. I'll have to see what his widow is up to now that he's passed away. They were both so proud and sure HIV/AIDS was "just a myth" and that Tommy wasn't they stopped using protection in the year or so prior to his death. Curios if she's kept that delusion going or not.

You will understand when you watch the special, but Morrison was somewhat doomed from birth too (although his brother ended up okay). His Dad was a serial womanizer and his Mom was acquitted for murder from a bar fight. He and his brothers grew up with little supervision. His third wife is as batty as you remember - she still claims it was all a myth.

Tailback U

When the Broncos have a terrible loss, I like to bask in their tears and listen to the local guys talk about how the sky is falling. That's about it though.

The local station is a huge SF Giants baseball affiliate and during baseball season it's like I've been listening to the same station for the last 10 years. Giants win and they look like world series contenders, they lose and they need to make some moves cuz the team doesn't have it this year, meanwhile it's May.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I remember waking up the following morning and seeing the Sports section headline in the LA Times. It was an action shot of Douglas and Tyson, with Tyson falling sideways. IIRC it read: "Tyson Era Goes Buster."

I didn't see the fight, of course. We didn't have cable, and even if we did, my dad was far too cheap to subscribe to any PPV.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I remember waking up the following morning and seeing the Sports section headline in the LA Times. It was an action shot of Douglas and Tyson, with Tyson falling sideways. IIRC it read: "Tyson Era Goes Buster."

I didn't see the fight, of course. We didn't have cable, and even if we did, my dad was far too cheap to subscribe to any PPV.

Quick research confirms your memory of headline.

bruin

Give credit to Tyson’s trainer admitting he didn’t bring the steel eye sweller thinking it’d be such a quick fight. Instead, he had to use a glove and put water and ice in it. Can’t blame him for being overconfident.

Douglas wasn’t just a Joe Schmo though. He did beat Oliver McCall just a year earlier. McCall went on to be a world champ and did beat Lennox Lewis once.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Every time there's a boxing conversation that goes beyond the big names, this is all I can think of:

CJ_24

Watching the Deion 30 for 30. Gotta say, I'm on Deion's side on this one. The Braves were wrong for how they handled it. They did not have a contract with him for it, and they made a big deal about it in public and publicly threw him under the bus. They made it it more of a negative circus than it needed to be. Plus, McCarver deserved the ice water bath Deion gave him.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Watched the recent episode "The Good, The Bad, and the Hungry," about the rivalry in competitive eating between Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi. Pretty interesting, and they painted Major League Eating and its managers as assholes doing everything in their power to rig the contests in favor of Chestnut (or basically, anyone *not* Kobayashi).

Pretty timely considering the racist ugliness that emerged once Kobayashi started getting lots of attention as the champion of the sport, even though this all happened a decade ago.

CJ_24

Racism from people heavily involved-in, and fans of, the sport of gorging on hot dogs? Yeah, who could have seen that coming.

Bruce Wayne

I'd say it was much more nationalism than racism. It seemed that everyone loved kobyashi when he was winning before Chestnut because Merrica loves a winner.

The loyalty of the American public changed once Joey came in as a viable Challenger. It seemed to me that the fans turned on kobyashi, not because of his race, but because of his nationality. Kobyashi could have been some white bread British dude and the fans still would have turned to Chestnut.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
The assumption that because it's a sport where you eat hot dogs that it involves huge amounts of racism is bizarre anyway.

CJ_24

The assumption is that the core demographic of competitive eating fans are likely not the most sophisticated segment of society. What percentage of the population who aren't neckbeards are spending time tracking who can gulf down the most hot dogs in five minutes?

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Anyone watching 37 Words on ESPN tonight? Extremely interesting. You rarely hear about the history of women's sports, which is a shame.

Unsurprisingly, we've fucked over women's sports and women athletes so hard in this country. I feel like they are finally, deservingly, becoming mainstream recently. I hope that trend continues.

Bruce Wayne

Meh, I find women’s sports hard to watch for the most part. Softball maybe the exception but most of it is slow and just not as athletic. I understand we are pushing equity but I’m not going to force myself to watch a bad product just for the sake of virtue.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Meh, I find women’s sports hard to watch for the most part. Softball maybe the exception but most of it is slow and just not as athletic. I understand we are pushing equity but I’m not going to force myself to watch a bad product just for the sake of virtue.

This is the same stance I take with men’s college basketball before the ten relevant days and baseball before October.

Bad product.