• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

30 for 30 Thread

osick87

Community Liaison
Good Ol boy from Flin Flon. They throw Moose legs on the ice when the Bombers score.
bobby-clarke-wink.jpg

bruin

This one doesn't interest me for some reason.

Yeah, I can see that considering they already did one with Tyson and it was probably their worst 30for30 they've done.

Personally, I'd like to see one on Arturo Gatti or on his battles with Micky Ward. But that's not likely mainstream enough.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Yeah, I can see that considering they already did one with Tyson and it was probably their worst 30for30 they've done.

Personally, I'd like to see one on Arturo Gatti or on his battles with Micky Ward. But that's not likely mainstream enough.

HBO could do a great 60-120 minute show on Gatti-Ward.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Saw the OJ Simpson 30 for 30. I remember watching it live, but of course, hardly remembered that all that other stuff was happening on that same day. (Was annoyed at the constant interruptions to the Rockets-Knicks Game 5)

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Saw the OJ Simpson 30 for 30. I remember watching it live, but of course, hardly remembered that all that other stuff was happening on that same day. (Was annoyed at the constant interruptions to the Rockets-Knicks Game 5)

Hakeem was making Ewing his bitch in that series.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I remember seeing that weird, freakishly tall rookie shooting threes like they were layups.

Not to mention the first ballot All-Ugly NBA 1st teamer point guard

R2D2

Just finished Four Falls of Buffalo, and The '85 Bears ones. Both were great.

evil1

The 30 for 30 episode about the Duke lacrosse trial "Fantastic Lies" is one of their best. They didn't have any of the accused players on camera, but they did interview their parents. It may have actually been better because of it.

The overreaction and rush to judgement by the media was bothersome by itself, but that paled in comparison to the blatant misconduct by the DA and chief investigator.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
The 30 for 30 episode about the Duke lacrosse trial "Fantastic Lies" is one of their best. They didn't have any of the accused players on camera, but they did interview their parents. It may have actually been better because of it.

The overreaction and rush to judgement by the media was bothersome by itself, but that paled in comparison to the blatant misconduct by the DA and chief investigator.

Remember the firestorm very well. The details escape me, but I have it recorded and will watch later.

I think I remember Al Sharpton and/or Jesse Jackson putting that stripper crying wolf through college because of the incident. The definite sentiment from the get go was that these guys were guilty, and the DA abused the process to thrust himself in the spotlight. In the court of public opinion this whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing is a bunch of horseshit.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think the criminal justice system is particularly ill-equipped to handle rape cases in general, and those involving athletes or public figures in particular. It is basically impossible to balance the presumption of innocence for the accused with protection of the victim, since the presumption of innocence inherently undermines the victim's credibility. It is just a no-win situation for criminal justice, IMO.

I think this is often further complicated in acquaintance rape and hook up culture situations where consent is often assumed but not actively given, leading to disparate views on what actually happened (This sounds like the case with the Yale basketball player). I think our societal views on sexual communication, and what we teach kids about sexual communication are partially to blame for creating so many of these situations. I think what most people in our generation learned about sexual consent was the "no means no" trope, which is a horrible approach to consent, IMO, especially from a male point of view with power dynamics between the sexes. I think it is especially dangerous when you couple it with the societal gender role ideas that men are supposed to be assertive, while women are supposed to play hard to get during sexual encounters. All of that adds up to a terribly confusing way to approach consent during a sexual encounter, especially when alcohol is added to the mix. While it might kill some of the excitement, spontaneity, or the thrill of the chase or whatever, I think everyone would be better served by actively discussing what they want from a sexual encounter before it starts (and then respecting that decision by not pushing for more).

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
If the criminal justice system is ill equipped, think about the schools. Title IX is fucking stupid for for forcing colleges and universities to investigate sexual assault claims.

If you decide to file a complaint, your school must promptly investigate it regardless of whether you report to the police (though a police investigation may very briefly delay the school’s investigation if law enforcement is gathering evidence). A school may not wait for the conclusion of a criminal proceeding and should conclude its own investigation within a semester’s time (the 2011 Office for Civil Rights Title IX guidance proposes 60 days as an appropriate time-frame). The school should use a “preponderance of the evidence” standard to determine the outcome of a complaint, meaning discipline should result if it is more likely than not that discrimination, harassment and/or violence occurred. The final decision should be provided to you and the accused in writing. Both of you have the right to appeal the decision.]

Please tell me how a school is equipped to handle rape investigations and conclude them in 60 days. It is just a no win situation. Discrimination or harassment ok, but violence? No. That should be turned over to the police department and that's it.

CJ_24

I think the criminal justice system is particularly ill-equipped to handle rape cases in general, and those involving athletes or public figures in particular. It is basically impossible to balance the presumption of innocence for the accused with protection of the victim, since the presumption of innocence inherently undermines the victim's credibility. It is just a no-win situation for criminal justice, IMO.

I think this is often further complicated in acquaintance rape and hook up culture situations where consent is often assumed but not actively given, leading to disparate views on what actually happened (This sounds like the case with the Yale basketball player). I think our societal views on sexual communication, and what we teach kids about sexual communication are partially to blame for creating so many of these situations. I think what most people in our generation learned about sexual consent was the "no means no" trope, which is a horrible approach to consent, IMO, especially from a male point of view with power dynamics between the sexes. I think it is especially dangerous when you couple it with the societal gender role ideas that men are supposed to be assertive, while women are supposed to play hard to get during sexual encounters. All of that adds up to a terribly confusing way to approach consent during a sexual encounter, especially when alcohol is added to the mix. While it might kill some of the excitement, spontaneity, or the thrill of the chase or whatever, I think everyone would be better served by actively discussing what they want from a sexual encounter before it starts (and then respecting that decision by not pushing for more).

Maybe I'm reading your point wrong, but eh, idk. I'll grant that I don't have enough sex so maybe i'm the wrong person to speak about it; but the sex I have had, consent hasn't been an issue. It hasn't "killed the mood," to take a second and make sure you're both on the same page. I don't think it ruins the power dynamic. I don't think the power dynamic is a very good one, if she wants to have sex, taking a second to be sure before going to that level isn't going to change that. If it does, then she wasn't in it in the first place.

Further, I think there's a wide gulf between "hard to get" and "no." And, if there is any ambiguity, then the default should be to ask or assume no. If a woman really is into making it seem like she's saying no when she really means yes, then she's got issues and, imo, you're probably better off staying away.

But, maybe I'm the schmuck for being too passive and acquiescing. Even if that's the case, I can live with that.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You are doing it the correct way and the fact that you don't have confusion about consent is a product of that communication. That's exactly how I approached sex as well, even if I was told more than once that it was a turn off that I wasn't being ASSERTIVE enough. The thing is that your approach is hardly the norm when it comes to this stuff though, and I'm saying that there are a lot of societal pressures telling men to be more assertive/dominant and just badger women until they give it up. With "no means no" style understanding of consent, they view anything that isn't "no" as consent and that is just rife with potential problems (someone who is passed out can't say no, but that obviously isn't consent).

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations

*atholetes

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Jesus christ the form letter I carried around in college and required a signature on before sex must explain why I didn't get laid. Fuck every YOUR NAME HERE who was trying to trap me in an acquaintance rape situation

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If the criminal justice system is ill equipped, think about the schools. Title IX is fucking stupid for for forcing colleges and universities to investigate sexual assault claims.

Please tell me how a school is equipped to handle rape investigations and conclude them in 60 days. It is just a no win situation. Discrimination or harassment ok, but violence? No. That should be turned over to the police department and that's it.

In the Missoula rape cases, the school turned it over to the police/DA and they subsequently just slut shamed all the women because the department itself was really not trained well in how to handle sexual assault or rape cases. In one of the cases in particular, the school was then placed in an even WORSE no-win situation because they have a different legal standard (preponderance of evidence) than the criminal standard. So they still had to abide by Title IX and kick the player out of college based on the "preponderance of evidence" standard while the DA wasn't even going to press charges. This sounds similar to the Yale basketball shit going on right now.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think the real answer is to just not have sex until you are an actual adult with a functioning frontal lobe of your brain. @kella had it right all along, go home play some PS3 and jerk off until you are 27 years old and meet a nice girl at kickball league. Much fewer problems for everyone.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Plus you probably have to wear a condom anyway. That shit is terrible. It's like eating a 16oz ribeye while you have a horrible head cold. Spend all this time, effort, and money to get this steak prepared for me and now I can't even taste it.

NML

A now-somewhat famous soccer player once told me at a party while on a visit - "let her insert you, then she's got no case.

Huh, I always thought he meant to let her put you in, but maybe he was just into butt play. Maybe the ambiguous double meaning was intended...

CJ_24

You are doing it the correct way and the fact that you don't have confusion about consent is a product of that communication. That's exactly how I approached sex as well, even if I was told more than once that it was a turn off that I wasn't being ASSERTIVE enough. The thing is that your approach is hardly the norm when it comes to this stuff though, and I'm saying that there are a lot of societal pressures telling men to be more assertive/dominant and just badger women until they give it up. With "no means no" style understanding of consent, they view anything that isn't "no" as consent and that is just rife with potential problems (someone who is passed out can't say no, but that obviously isn't consent).

I agree. Maybe I'm a pussy (ok, I am kind of a pussy), but I've never understood this logic. I've never felt so hard up to bust a nut that I would feel ok with what amounts to bullying and manipulation to get sex. Acting like an ass doesn't make you an alpha, imo.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I agree. Maybe I'm a pussy (ok, I am kind of a pussy), but I've never understood this logic. I've never felt so hard up to bust a nut that I would feel ok with what amounts to bullying and manipulation to get sex. Acting like an ass doesn't make you an alpha, imo.

Dat juxtaposition between taking a stance against bullying/manipulation of women while also using "pussy" as a pejorative term, doe.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I cant believe it has been 10 years since that shitstorm at Duke. That case may be one of the first public shaming incidents I can remember before social media made it a norm for every transgression. Can anybody imagine how much crazier that Duke situation would be today with Twitter, FB, and other various forms of self indulgence?

I thought it was a really well done 30 for 30.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I really enjoyed it, brought back a lot of memories. Some thoughts:

1) Mike Nifong is such a piece of shit

2) I really liked the fact they went into depth about the juxtaposition of Duke vs. the City of Durham. For any plebe just watching sports, Duke is synonymous with Durham, but it mine as well its own town. The city of Durham in the state of NC has been notorious for gang-related violence and poverty, although over the last decade it has improved in that regard. Its important to make that distinction for those that don't know because it makes it clear how this shit was allowed to happen anyway.

3) Great indictment of outrage culture and the fallacy of reacting before getting all the facts, pre-twitter. This is an important message in these times considering the current political climate.