• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2088 Season Thread - Let's Goooooo

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Who is trying to sign a guy to a minor-league deal with a $9,000,000 signing bonus?
Give me something else to do with my money... If you set it up like that, 490k the next 3 years.

I actually wish the game would allow you to do signing bonuses for FA. Front load contracts and pay less later. I also wish you could absorb entire deals in one year vs. the spread it out. You used to have the option to do that, right?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Bloody hell. That's better. First day I have been able to concentrate. Just didn't come round after the blow. Parries for me. Saw a nurse who suggested I go to ER to get it scanned, but passed after she said "It's ok - they separate the covid patients off into a different waiting room'... OBVIOUSLY GOT YOUR INFECTION CONTROLLED.

doh

Who is getting that offer, the 80/40/40 reliever?
No the RHH 1B. I have no idea how he slipped through the cracks last off-season. That RP is creeping closer to 9m.

But without IFA and no good Indy/Pro FA or regular FA this off-season, what else should us rich ppl spend our money on?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
COVID-19 cost cutting

tenor.png

I was ready for the Offseason SUPERSPREADER event.

Reactions: doh

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Who is getting that offer, the 80/40/40 reliever?

Dunno, but at 29, I think Rob Burton can still make it to the all-star game as an SP. His only measurable sample size of stats are 2087 where he pitched 37 innings with an ERA of 1.69, WHIP of 1.04, with 1.2 WARS won.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
He seems to want to sign a <2m five year contract extension too. Being abused really hurts your self-confidence....

doh

Dunno, but at 29, I think Rob Burton can still make it to the all-star game as an SP. His only measurable sample size of stats are 2087 where he pitched 37 innings with an ERA of 1.69, WHIP of 1.04, with 1.2 WARS won.
I am triggered I missed out on him. I'm probably going to have 2 two-way players on my roster this year. Chance of 3 with YOUR BOY Vo. My first pick was a two-way guy too.

I think there are ways to use them if they platoon and have another ELITE skill. I.e. Vo seems like a good enough RP but could be a defensive replacement at multiple positions. Ohayshi/Yoshida both can be PH/PRs. I could have a 14-man pitching staff AND 15 position players.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I am triggered I missed out on him. I'm probably going to have 2 two-way players on my roster this year. Chance of 3 with YOUR BOY Vo. My first pick was a two-way guy too.

I think there are ways to use them if they platoon and have another ELITE skill. I.e. Vo seems like a good enough RP but could be a defensive replacement at multiple positions. Ohayshi/Yoshida both can be PH/PRs. I could have a 14-man pitching staff AND 15 position players.

Yeah, sounds good. I'm pretty much of the opinion that Rob needs to just get down to being an SP now though, so even though I have a massive need at LF, I'm just going to let him do what he looks like he's best at. The fact that he's a leftie too is just such a win.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
He’s the draft pick that didn’t sign. How is it any different than a draft bonus? His initial ask was a minor league deal with like a $1.5m bonus. He’s never asked for a major league deal.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Well he'll probably do terrible like most players on my team, but I expect him to hold his own.

I may try an opener this year. VAN TIGGELEN is a beast but he's fragile so I don't want to start him

doh

I've done openers a few seasons now just to distribute innings amongst my bullpen.

I like the high STUFF guys as Openers like Corncock @hayvis

doh

Ohhh the 6'9 240 RHH 1B was a MLFA last year... but was signed by Lisbon in a day. That's why we never saw him.

And he's going to get like a $20m bonus :laughing:

Wolfman21

combination of the draft being the only means to procure prospects and deadbeat owners letting good prospects walk.

doh

The only change was that people can't spend $5M every other year and yet the money printers go brrrr
It's a reaction to the new FA market too. I've non-tendered/let good players walk because it used to be you'd sign them cheaper. Now I think teams are holding onto guys with big extensions or exercising TOs more. So the FA pool is not as good so the few good FA's are being bid up.

More engaged owners has driven up prices too. Over the years, I've gotten some decent Pro/Indy FA's similar to this RP everyone is bidding up on the very cheap.

Also there was that one decent RP Lando got and SuPer UTiLiTy Craig as Indy/Pro IFA this year. No one else entered the league so there's not many guys to bid on.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I dont know what CF looks like across the league, but he might be a glove wizard there with a bat that wont hurt you. The fact he can play every position on the field at glove wizard level is useful, but only if his bat is decent.

I was hoping this guy would be that type of player, but his OBP never got to the level i hoped it would.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I dont know what CF looks like across the league, but he might be a glove wizard there with a bat that wont hurt you. The fact he can play every position on the field at glove wizard level is useful, but only if he bat is decent.

I was hoping this guy would be that type of player, but his OBP never got to the level i hoped it would.

doh

Yeah he's only 24 and with 75 OF Range. He should improve his CF rating.

The other side of the coin is CFers seem to peak at a younger age. Especially high contact/high speed guys.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah he's only 24 and with 75 OF Range. He should improve his CF rating.

The other side of the coin is CFers seem to peak at a younger age. Especially high contact/high speed guys.
I drafted like 4 amazing CFers 8 years ago and all of them are now out of the league or only barely able to play LF

doh

I drafted like 4 amazing CFers 8 years ago and all of them are now out of the league or only barely able to play LF
Yeah I've had a ton of guys over the years who were gr8 in CF (solid glove, good bat) until like 24-25 then they had to slide to a corner. Dan Kirkpatrick is one. Tamburrino went from MVP at 23 as a CF to out of the league at 29.

C, CF, SS are hard to find and play. You want to play your good ones a lot. But those positions a) age players faster and b) the more games they play, the worse they hit. The ultimate exmaple is ex-Amsterdam GOAT Haamid. Check out his year by year hitting at C vs DH.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

I have awful luck with CF, SS, and Catcher. I just don't trust anyone at those positions anymore. Poor Karl tried to trade me Poisson for my 1-1 (Alibi) and I was like sorry dude, I hate all catchers.

I had that one GOAT Catcher I drafted in the first round. He just never hit and was basically a zero WAR player for me. Then, I think @doh or someone else signed him and he started getting 4-5 WAR seasons.

doh

Not me.... who?

I've failed trying to draft SS's a ton. C's I've actually had some success. Montalvo is borderline HoG and I got him 32nd overall. My current back up is pretty good and I got him 32nd. I've had 3 cockbusters for de Buen, Cliff McLean and now Acheson.

I'm hoping Quothan can be a decent CF for a few seasons. 3rd Rd Pick Dogo has been serviceable.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@doh = I quite liked playing Kirkpatrick at CF when he was rated about 45. He seemed to be happier there, and I'm pretty sure his batting covered for his terrible fielding. I'm now always on the lookout for that kind of solution at CF. I've actually trained Flores for this role for a short period in case Kershaw goes. I'm now thinking I should give Kershaw an extension though as he seems fairly valuable (although as you say he'll go to shit over the next couple of years).

I just have lower expectations for SS and CF. I think up to 10m a year for someone who would be classed as very average in another position is reasonable. Although Kearney is overpaid, in my eyes he's a placeholder I don't have to worry about, and he won't shit the bed.

doh

I've had no luck with anyone in CF who could hit. Now I just draft the best glove available who doesn't have a 40 for contact.
I thought the Korean guy I sent you Hong had a chance to be serviceable in CF. Kinda still does as strictly v RHP. But his defense hasn't been as ELITE as I thought it'd be.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I thought the Korean guy I sent you Hong had a chance to be serviceable in CF. Kinda still does as strictly v RHP. But his defense hasn't been as ELITE as I thought it'd be.

He's down to like 40 contact :( Plus I've got Kahanov (who is available, BTW) and Bayisa Erevu who are also elite defenders but are less mediocre at the plate.

Simming now before I have to go out and shovel snow.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I’ve had pretty good luck with shortstops and catchers. Not quite as much with centerfielders.

SS has been pretty good for me- first Noda, obviously, but Keith Bolton was a huge part of our success. He ended up fading pretty quickly at the plate but was a Glove Wizard til the end.

Wolfman21

I dont remember ever having great center fielders. Jan paulsen is prolly my best...hes put up 8.5 WAR in two seasons and hes not even 23 yet.