• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2072 Off Season Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I can't ever thank you enough for bringing the winter meetings to North Dakota, it played no small part in getting the team fired up for their greatest season ever!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah and the last of draft pick signings iirc. I'll sim tonight if Orlando doesn't, I'm not sure whose turn it is

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
There's like 4 non exporters but I'll just go back and personally fix whatever guys you want non tendered

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Actually we all win, HOF voting is on the correct side of ARB this year so those who missed out can still export tomorrow

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I thought it went through but maybe it didnt. Did Seoul and Miami get theirs?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Ill resim in the morning (and pull exports). I probably made him a corch without adding him to Kabul

Wolfman21

I thought it went through but maybe it didnt. Did Seoul and Miami get theirs?

nevermind, apparently i do have one. I guess the lack of sleep got to me last night but i didnt think i was able to press my scouts ratings on players last night. forgive me

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm simming one day for our friend from across the pond, I will post in the announcement thread as usual but just a heads up

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Lank to the file (zipped league folder) I uploaded for @jdlikewhoa back in Sept. Forget what the in-game date is, but should be serviceable.
I had to retire IST's old manager because I don't know what PW ebars put on it, so I'm not sure if he can access the latest file through that one without a manager to sign into?

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
I had to retire IST's old manager because I don't know what PW ebars put on it, so I'm not sure if he can access the latest file through that one without a manager to sign into?
Yup. Think you're right.
Didn't underatand the previous remark. Thought you were asking for a league file archive for him to get all set up.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Sure. Unless he's already imported the file to 18. Then all he would need is the file_time.cfg or whatever.

NML

Yeah I’d imagine the easiest approach is going to be to add him urself to Istanbul, give him a generic password, then upload that file AND Dropbox it to him

He’s going to need some pre-arb notes as they have an entire 40 man roster of minimum/arb guys and I’m sure plenty need to be released.

NML

I loosened my ballot up this year. Pinky, Mary Jane, Norman, Paz, Munoz, Lyons, and Ice Man.

Guia and Mustard Tiger are right on the wrong side of the bubble for me. Lyons probably should be too but he’ll get one more vote from me since he’s a six time all star, 2 time shamp, and one reliever of the year. Munoz just on the right side of the bubble

NML

@chibob

I wanted to start you off with some pre-arb decisions you might want to make, or at least some worth looking at. Not sure what ur understanding of the sport is, but I’ll start with a quick run down on some terms:

Cost-controlled or league minimum: when a player first joins the majors, their salary is the league minimum ($490k). They are sometimes referred to as “cost controlled.” The length they are on the minimum varies for a variety of reasons, but generally it’s between 2 and 5 years. After that...

Arbitration: they go to arbitration. If you see a salary with something like $750k (A), that’s an arbitration estimate of their salary. You can read more into how that number is determined elsewhere.

The point being, while a player is either on the minimum or in arbitration, they can be released during the sim without penalty and their salaries will not carry over to next year. This is important, because you’ve got some questionable players. Here’s a quick list:

*fyi this is all based on some regression analysis I (and Travis) have done previous. Check out the statistics thread for more info

BELOW REPLACEMENT LEVEL

- a “replacement level player” is one who can be signed at any given time. They are widely available in free agency or in ur own minor leagues. A team full of replacement level players would win around 40 games in a season, mostly just because of the randomness and small margins of baseball. As such, there’s not really any reason to carry players who predict to play BELOW that level, since players better than them are available. You’ve got several:

Sergio Gutierrez, C: he has like 150 plate appearances in his minor league career, and they haven’t been good. He can kinda play defense, but he’s bad. Release

Abdul-Ra’uf Bin Utbah, 1B: has some pop, but can’t play any defensive position, is slow as shit, and at almost 25 he’s not likely to develop more. He had a decent trial run in the majors and wasn’t very good. Release

Morris Barry, 1B: has a slightly better bat than Utbah but an even worse glove, against all odds. Has nearly a full season of experience under his belt at -1 WAR. Release

Roderick King, LF: another guy who’s got plenty of experience at the majors and it’s all bad. He’s also almost 34. Release

Andre Vance, CF: Vance used to be okay, but after 2070 his bat dropped a bit (which is expected at 33) and now he’s not worth keeping around. He’s got a $950k arb estimate and that money could definitely be better spent elsewhere. Release

Davi Loja, RF: Loja is the best of this group, but I still don’t think he’s worth keeping around. He had an unbelievably bad run of 60 plate appearances and a -.8 WAR two years ago. He spent most of this past season in AAA, where he posted a -.2 WAR. Release

Nabi Ulma..., RP: he had two of the worst appearances in the entire league this year, and they were his only appearances. He can’t keep the ball in the park and walks everyone. Release

Luis Hernandez, RP: I’m not sure why this guy even got called up. He wasn’t even good in AAA. Already 24 and his movement isn’t good enough. Release

There, I just saved you $4.5 million

Last edited:

NML

@chibob

BORDERLINE/REPLACEMENT LEVEL

- these are players that one could reasonably expect are available in free agency or in the minors. While these aren’t obvious releases, they may be considering the rest of ur team. Obviously you have to have a full team, so it’s possible these guys are, if they are on the minimum, the best choice.

Marc Rankin, RP: Rankin did not have a great showing in his debut, but he could get better. If he did, he’d be above replacement level (currently he’s below).

Dinh Toai, RP: he got called up but couldn’t crack the September rotation - which is saying something. He’s 26 and pitched a total of one inning above AA.

Tony Johnson, RP: same as Toai, he couldn’t get on the pro mound. 25 years old, MY MOTHER GOD REST HER SOUL. Actually he’s 25 and never pitched above AA, and wasn’t even good in AA.

Jorge Arroyo, RP: he was decent in 2070, and not so good this year in limited time. He’s the very definition of replacement level, with 331 innings pitched in the pro’s and a career WAR of .2. With an arbitration estimate of $950k, he’s easier to release than a minimum player.

Stan Bryant, RP: Bryant is the former #3 overall pick who, unfortunately, looks like a bust. When he’s played over the last two years, he’s been replacement level. There’s the possibility that he could get slightly better, but he’s also coming off a torn flexor tendon and won’t be ready until late summer next year.

Roberto Figueroa, RP: Figueroa has a decent amount of room to grow, although at nearly 24 it’s unlikely he’s going to reach his full potential. Still, compared to the other options, his potential is worth keeping around.

Ken Young, C: Young is another great example of a replacement level player. You’ve got five catchers currently under contract, although Losorata is leaving and you should cut Gutierrez (see above). So Young might be worth keeping around as ur third/“AAAA” catcher.

So for pitchers, you currently have 20 under contract. 2 are currently set to be released (FYI, Monfre Braves would be worth resigning if he’s interested, I can you give more info on that if you want). Not looking at ur minors, I don’t see any reason to keep Hernandez, Ulma, Rankin, Toai, Johnson, or Arroyo. That still leaves you with a full 12 man staff, although Bryant (and Gramsci) will miss the start of the year. Sign 2-3 above replacement level players, probably at least one of which is a starter. If you want to be super cheap, keep Rankin and Arroyo and don’t sign anyone.

For batters, currently 20 under contract. Releasing the six from above, combined with the three leaving (Auguiano is definitely worth bringing back), takes you down to 11. But, you probably have a full lineup in there. Get some above replacement level backups (who may be in the minors) and you should be okay.

Lopez, Sandoval, and Provoost are all all-star quality. Mavrokordato and Apollonio may be too, but they haven’t shown it yet. Good core to build around though.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think I filled my ballot :laughing: Just not voting for any HAVE players.

Leon Rivera with that stolen bases record deserves to make it, to me, especially with 2 decades of productive defense. He's the Art Monk of baseball, just so productive and solid for two decades. In his 19th season he still had 22 stolen bases and only got caught 4 times!