• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2066 Season Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
You were right about the pitching duel. I can't score runs.
It's LV 17-15 in terms of cumulative runs in the series so far which is exactly how I needed this series to go.

I've been scared of a FAX blowout incoming the whole series. I hope it's not Game 7 but I'm due for one.

NML

Nothing like baseball in Halifax in November.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2Fquestioning.gif

Wooly

Right now all I can do is hope for a Kats meltdown.

My 4.9 runs a game doesn't mean squat now. At least I am keeping up my 2.5 runs allowed.

Hoping home field advantage is the difference.

doh

Right now all I can do is hope for a Kats meltdown.

My 4.9 runs a game doesn't mean squat now. At least I am keeping up my 2.5 runs allowed.

Hoping home field advantage is the difference.
Well yeah 4.9 doesn't mean anything in the playoffs because you're facing the best teams who are using their best SPs (with their bullpens able to use whoever they want)... :laughing:

Wooly

Well yeah 4.9 doesn't mean anything in the playoffs because you're facing the best teams who are using their best SPs (with their bullpens able to use whoever they want)... :laughing:
You know what I mean. My team has a great offense, but is really struggling to score runs, even when taking into account the quality of the playoffs teams.

doh

Couldn't have lost to a better manager.

Congrats @doh
That was an insane series... last six games were one-run or extras. It was a coin flip.

I actually before the game 7 file found out what "stopper" in bullpen meant and put Kang as 7th+close to come in or he doesn't. I'm lucky I found out that function before the game.

Wooly

Couldn't have lost to a better manager.

Congrats @doh

I mean this. I consider Doh the best manager in the league. Maybe there are others as good, but it's hard for me to think anyone is better. Doh has influenced my teams more than any other manager as well. A few years ago I made some changes in case I met him in the playoffs. It didn't work out, but that was why I changed to a Righty ball park and lineup. Doh has been a lefty ballpark with a lefty lineup for a while. I figured I was more likely to meet him in a WS than anyone, so I made my park harder on lefties and switched my lineup to mostly RHBs. The hope was that if I ended up in a series with him, and I had home field advantage, I might just have to win my home games to get a title. Oh well, it didn't work. Instead, he won 2 of 4 games in Halifax. I also saved my lefty, Lucatoni, for games 3 and 6, so I could pitch him in Vegas. He pitched well, but I didn't win those games either. What else can you do.

Wooly

That was an insane series... last six games were one-run or extras. It was a coin flip.

I actually before the game 7 file found out what "stopper" in bullpen meant and put Kang as 7th+close to come in or he doesn't. I'm lucky I found out that function before the game.

Nice. He made the difference. I was trying to get the same thing with Petitjean. I thought about making him my closer, but I really wanted him to come in right after the starter and shut the game down, like in the 7th or so. I made him the sole set up man hoping he would get used this way. Instead, the CPU brought him in for one AB right after Lucatoni, then proceeded to use Ramirez and Lampe for a few batters and then the rest of the game was on Rogers. That normally works, but Rogers doesn't usually go for more than 1 inning. I knew once we got the 11th I met get into trouble with Roger. I was regretting not just making Petit the closer outright, which I debated. It's hard to justify making a lot of changes though, when your team wins tons of games and Roger has a sub 1 ERA with tons of saves. I still think Petit is the better pitcher, even as a closer, but you don't want to second guess yourself too much. In hindsight, I wish I had made Petit a Stopper like you did. He could have gone for a few innings that way, and even closed the game I suppose. Roger would not have had to go so long either.

In the end, your move with Kang was probably the difference maker in the game. He gave up 2 runs, but he also pitched 4.2 innings critical innings late in the game. I can't complain, my closer went into the 9th with a 1 run lead, and blew it. Second year in a row that I lose game 7 seven of the WS in extra innings. I believe both times I had Gwilt up in the 9th with a chance to win it. He was 0-6 today. Come on Gwilt.

I was a spectacular series though. Very tight games, a lot of fun to watch.

doh

Nice. He made the difference. I was trying to get the same thing with Petitjean. I thought about making him my closer, but I really wanted him to come in right after the starter and shut the game down, like in the 7th or so. I made him the sole set up man hoping he would get used this way. Instead, the CPU brought him in for one AB right after Lucatoni, then proceeded to use Ramirez and Lampe for a few batters and then the rest of the game was on Rogers. That normally works, but Rogers doesn't usually go for more than 1 inning. I knew once we got the 11th I met get into trouble with Roger. I was regretting not just making Petit the closer outright, which I debated. It's hard to justify making a lot of changes though, when your team wins tons of games and Roger has a sub 1 ERA with tons of saves. I still think Petit is the better pitcher, even as a closer, but you don't want to second guess yourself too much. In hindsight, I wish I had made Petit a Stopper like you did. He could have gone for a few innings that way, and even closed the game I suppose. Roger would not have had to go so long either.

In the end, your move with Kang was probably the difference maker in the game. He gave up 2 runs, but he also pitched 4.2 innings critical innings late in the game. I can't complain, my closer went into the 9th with a 1 run lead, and blew it. Second year in a row that I lose game 7 seven of the WS in extra innings. I believe both times I had Gwilt up in the 9th with a chance to win it. He was 0-6 today. Come on Gwilt.

I was a spectacular series though. Very tight games, a lot of fun to watch.
Yeah your team was actually a very good match-up for me. MY team last year set the record for least Ks and this year we had a few more but the lineup I picked to finish the year was to avoid Ks/defense oriented. I was surprised in a way you didn't have a blowout win but that was my strategy in the playoffs. I ended up giving up 45 runs in 16 games but more importantly no more than 5 in a game the entire playoffs.

I almost started Kang in Game 7 but decided Steele would limit HRs or the big innings so I went with him. I've never used 'stopper' but imagined Kang would pitch better in relief vs. if he started too. I couldn't trust Can Son/others so didn't want him in a big moment too.

It's funny though as much as I'd like to take credit for these strategies a lot of them are old, old Key West ones that @dawg_gone came up with that I've altered to my style.

doh

Yeah the people whining about competitive balance weren't in a league where OU won 5 straight ships and only got stopped by Eric Stuut's 8 RBI game...

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah the people whining about competitive balance weren't in a league where OU won 5 straight ships and only got stopped by Eric Stuut's 8 RBI game...

Taking me back, I was relieved when it was over. It was hard keeping all of them happy at that point. That really can't happen anymore though just because I was never terrible to build it, I built it through trades with the few owners that were active. Now that there are more owners it's harder because the market is higher.

I'm interested to see how this one goes after building completely from the draft. I also think the dev budget being so high is really helping a lot.

doh

Taking me back, I was relieved when it was over. It was hard keeping all of them happy at that point. That really can't happen anymore though just because I was never terrible to build it, I built it through trades with the few owners that were active. Now that there are more owners it's harder because the market is higher.

I'm interested to see how this one goes after building completely from the draft. I also think the dev budget being so high is really helping a lot.
The other thing was you were able to sign guys like Hamiid and others to pre-arb deals or extensions before the game got way better with them. I think prospects/draft picks hitting way more helped too. I'm on the hook for significantly more money for my core.

That's partially why Halifax's season was incredible. Winning 124 games with this level of competition in terms of active, smart owners is insane.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The other thing was you were able to sign guys like Hamiid and others to pre-arb deals or extensions before the game got way better with them. I think prospects/draft picks hitting way more helped too. I'm on the hook for significantly more money for my core.

That's partially why Halifax's season was incredible. Winning 124 games with this level of competition in terms of active, smart owners is insane.
I actually think this was one of the least competitive years we've had. We had a few playoff teams under .500 or barely cracking .500.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
That was after those rules were put in place actually. I signed their arb years but at 5 years per contract you only really saved on 1 year but they were easier to sign than now. The main thing that helped back then is I actually had some discoveries that weren't complete shit.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.

They played three teams multiple times in JV that are either on autopilot or flat out terrible.

Wooly

Wooly copies my teams and credits doh. What a world. Wonder how it would have played out if I kept Ortiz and Mendoza.
Yeah, it is the same. Did you make your team to deal with Doh too, or did Doh go lefty to deal with your righty team? Or none of the above?

I just wanted to win a title, and I had to guess which team I was more likely to face, you or Doh, and at the time your team was being dismantled, or so I thought.

TonyGin&Juice

Your record against them was 1-16 so I know you counting yourself in that 3 bruh. Buffalo in there too with our 3-14 record.

Of course I'm counting my team with zero offense in that three along with BUF and FB. KAB and UKK didn't fare well either.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah, it is the same. Did you make your team to deal with Doh too, or did Doh go lefty to deal with your righty team? Or none of the above?

I just wanted to win a title, and I had to guess which team I was more likely to face, you or Doh, and at the time your team was being dismantled, or so I thought.
I'm just messing with you. Doh went all lefties really early and I went righty heavy right after. It was partially to mess with @doh but also because we traded a lot haha. There was one point were he had an entire lineup of LHB and I had Henny, Weber, Razor, Brittain and I'm sure others I just don't remember.

Unfortunately I've had to move away from that because of the swedes.

Wolfman21

just noticing my ticket prices for 2066 was set at 34.91 for some reason. I've had it set for 35.00 for like 8 seasons in a row now. Why would it have dropped to 34.91 without me touching it?

TonyGin&Juice

just noticing my ticket prices for 2066 was set at 34.91 for some reason. I've had it set for 35.00 for like 8 seasons in a row now. Why would it have dropped to 34.91 without me touching it?

It does that to match the budget to your prior year attendance.