• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2063: Where Players Come From

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Before I did top 25 by WAR, this time I'll do 50. I tried to find the old threads on this (circa Nov '15 IIRC) but I couldn't :laughing:

If someone better at search could, that'd be cool to see.

I believe in the old, I did "big IFA" at above $1m bonus. I'm upping that to $2m because in general teams are spending more in IFA

Pitchers

Originally spawned

Draft (1st): 23 (12)
IFA (Big): 18 (5)
Auto IFA: 7
International Pro FA: 2

Acquired

Trade: 17
FA: 8
Draft: 16
IFA (auto): 9 (5)

Batters

Originally spawned

Draft (1st Rd): 26 (20)
IFA (Big): 14 (6)
Auto IFA: 8
International Pro FA: 2

Acquired

Trade: 19
FA: 9
Draft: 10
IFA (auto): 11 (4)
MLFA: 1

doh

Pitchers isn't the best to do it by top 50 in WAR... best would probably be best 30 SP, best 20 RP but that's hard to do.

Some other stuff:

-- Dave Christian is still top 50 WAR and was drafted by @Reel
-- Iceman just got $350k in IFA. A. Remiarez (HAL) got 360k.
-- LV Mordasini SP was a 6th Rd pick

-- BA C Pete Wilkinson was a 6th Rd pick too. SS Rouquiera was a 12th rounder who was signed as a MLFA a couple times.

-- Don't have any numbers on it but the best team at drafting after the 1st from what I saw is BA.
-- The team that drafts or signs/develops the most is Kabul by far. I'd say BA is 2nd.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Shit players get $2m these days haha, but are you not tracking IFA who got bonuses less than $2m?

doh

No I divided IFA between $2m and less. IFA over $2m = "big".

There are actually lots of guys between $1-2m that I saw but most of those guys were signed before 2052 or so.

osick87

Community Liaison
Pitchers isn't the best to do it by top 50 in WAR... best would probably be best 30 SP, best 20 RP but that's hard to do.

Some other stuff:

-- BA C Pete Wilkinson was a 6th Rd pick too. SS Rouquiera was a 12th rounder who was signed as a MLFA a couple times.

-- Don't have any numbers on it but the best team at drafting after the 1st from what I saw is BA.
-- The team that drafts or signs/develops the most is Kabul by far. I'd say BA is 2nd

I started paying attention again.

NML

I have seven guys on my 25 man that I drafted after the first round haha. Six more that were first rounders.

Last edited:

Wolfman21

Some other stuff:

-- The team that drafts or signs/develops the most is Kabul by far. I'd say BA is 2nd.

:djscripclub:

osick87

Community Liaison
Well when you participate in such great trades like the first 3 way, you want every trade to be special.

Truthfully, I usually ask @Orlando about a player (his or my own), hmm and haw, then remember every time I've fucked myself by taking on a contract and apologize for bugging him. Did this with Bert a lot.

I've pretty decided I'll trade for small improvements (Dave Gray as an example) and try and scout and develop.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Quick glance says I have 10 players I drafted. Seven were first rounders. Rotation of Moran, Cross, Hjorth, Coral, Asmus :laughing:

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison

Some other stuff:

got damn...how many years have passed since i last ran the team? :laughing:

a player i drafted is still in the league?

moneybaw

doh

It's actually interesting... noticed tons of Halifax players were Tanner's IFA signings-- Scouttie Pippen + Stamos still have an impact.

ZackMills

Have mercy
It's actually interesting... noticed tons of Halifax players were Tanner's IFA signings-- Scouttie Pippen + Stamos still have an impact.

It is ridiculous how many dirt cheap IFA arms I signed that ended up making an impact at the WBL level.

Look at the trades @Wooly made too. The vast majority of the good/great players he got in return were only because he sent Tanners away. He was set up nicely and has as many championships as @Reel to show for it. He's gotten what he deserved for how he treated Zack Mills.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Yes, "a" player is still around. Hard to imagine how many others would still be playing if you hadn't implemented the 'inverted' development strategy.

man idk what all dis mean brah

engrish...do you speak it

Wooly

It is ridiculous how many dirt cheap IFA arms I signed that ended up making an impact at the WBL level.

Look at the trades @Wooly made too. The vast majority of the good/great players he got in return were only because he sent Tanners away. He was set up nicely and has as many championships as @Reel to show for it. He's gotten what he deserved for how he treated Zack Mills.

It's true, IFA was good to you and a lot of people before OOTP17. I took over in 2057, right as we switched to 17. OOTP17 has been terrible for IFA busts and poor drafts. I spend the first 3-4 years buying IFA talent, working my minor leagues, but mostly building up my budget. That is the most important thing. My goal was to get a Top 3 budget. Without a high budget, it's hard to stay competitive, no matter what your strategy is. It has to be high to pay for a talented roster while still keeping the farm restocked with IFA talent. You can't get high draft picks while winning, so you have to go the IFA route and use the IFA talent like a commodity. You can use it to replenish your team with lower cost high talent, or trade it for high draft picks, or trade it for needed WBL talent, etc. It took me a few years, and I had to make some trades to do it, but FAX was winning with a high budget, and was able to restock its farm with IFA talent, really good IFA talent, not just scraps. I increased the budget from 142m to 184m, which is a budget that can sustain success for the long haul.

Then I changed my strategy sometime around 2061, and started trading off some of the farm I was building for my current approach.

doh

I think the amount of busts have more to do with we have two more teams, more active owners and teams are spending way more on IFA because they're better with their budgets. There was an adjustment in the move from OOTP 15 to 16 in extensions and IMO the league has gotten much better with it.

I also think tons of teams have gone to lower scouting/devo budgets to spend money in IFA.

You used to be able to get pretty decent guys with a chance for under a $1m (particularly pitchers). Not anymore. Prices have been driven up.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I think the amount of busts have more to do with we have two more teams, more active owners and teams are spending way more on IFA because they're better with their budgets. There was an adjustment in the move from OOTP 15 to 16 in extensions and IMO the league has gotten much better with it.

I also think tons of teams have gone to lower scouting/devo budgets to spend money in IFA.

You used to be able to get pretty decent guys with a chance for under a $1m (particularly pitchers). Not anymore. Prices have been driven up.
This hasn't been true since the 40's :laughing:

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.

Outside of @Lloyd Carr wasting $30M on that guy that's going to end up being a minor league FA there haven't been any insane IFA buys either. Look at what Jari Keivit went for back in '47.

TonyGin&Juice

How did Keivit turn out??

Ploeg (part of the package I got for Jari) has put up more WAR and is a potential HOAG. Not saying Kievit didn't have a good career (he did) but he wasn't the HOF everyone thought he would be when I traded him away.

TonyGin&Juice

He never lived up to any of his power potential and didn't have a position, which was really too bad. Unfortunately the guy I traded him for also doesn't have a position now and is getting $28M AAV until the end of time.

TonyGin&Juice

Limited player though -- can't play defense and not great power.

Yep, ur boy Ploeg at least reached his (limited) power potential. Guys like Ploeg and Kievit aren't long term solutions unless you like Johnny Damon-esque DHs (or you love overpaying shitheads like me).

doh

Negative WAR player at 30 and won more than 3.3 once... not worth $50m.