• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2055-2056 WBL Winter Meetings in Scania, Sweden!

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
So, a couple of things:

- Can we fix this issue in OOTP 17 so the Os don't have to clean up a mess that's really not a mess?
- This might be one of the dumbest WBL rules ever. Blanks and Rocky both suggested those contracts based on the game logic and they were in line with extensions signed by actual MLB guys (Longoria comes to mind, though his first contract was way team friendly). It's not my fault the system itself doesn't recognize these HAVE friendly rules.
- I don't get why this is an issue at all. Take a look at my financials and you'll see there is no one on the books that's not an ARB case or a TO in two seasons (Hammer Harris is wasted money at this point, so ignore him). These kind of extensions are perfect for teams like mine (run by morons, HAVE NOTS for LIFE) and I don't see why, especially without COMPENSATION PICKS, we should be feeder teams for the HAVES.
- If we're going to have the five year first contract extension limit we need to bring back sandwich round comp picks. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that'll dilute an already diluted draft pool but you can't have teams with $200M budgets and teams with $100M budgets all vying for the same FAs and expect parity. My only suggestion would be if we did do comp picks after the 1st round make them where you can't trade them.

giphy.gif

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I understood the other limitation on pre-arb deals (1 year service time and meet arb estimate each year as a minimum) due to the AI not being too savvy, but the 5 year limit always pissed me off. I think if we do the 5 year limit on 1st contracts it should be a 5 year limit on all contracts.
Then wait until they hit arb and you can.

NML

That's not my problem if he's the one that offered it. Just look at the Pirates and Andrew McCutchen.

This isn't the MLB doe. And it clearly is ur problem since the deal isn't going through haha.

The issue isn't this contract in particular, it's the game logic within these types of deals. Like I said, lots of really good players would sign 10 year deals for nothing, which is a problem.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
It's really not that difficult to read the rules in the FAQ.

It is when my five minutes a day on OOTP also happens to NOT correspond with my five minutes a day of sobriety. Again, why didn't we fix the AI to not allow this?

TonyGin&Juice

This isn't the MLB doe. And it clearly is ur problem since the deal isn't going through haha.

The issue isn't this contract in particular, it's the game logic within these types of deals. Like I said, lots of really good players would sign 10 year deals for nothing, which is a problem.

Who gives a damn. Let the Os fix it and I'll just sign him to an even more ridiculous extension when this FIRST CONTRACT expires. Some of you people are just total killjoys.

NML

He'll probably hit arb this off season, right? Just wait until then and sign him to a 20 year deal if you want.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It is when my five minutes a day on OOTP also happens to NOT correspond with my five minutes a day of sobriety. Again, why didn't we fix the AI to not allow this?
wat. We don't program the game. The rule is there because we can't change anything in the AI.

Look, I'm all for arguing the merits of our rules, but this one has been argued to death. Nothing new is being presented. It's there because before arb players will sign to deals way below value. We limited it to five years so you aren't buying out much more than arb with the first deals. If you wait until they go through a year of arb, they will sign more realistic deals and you can sign them as for as long as you want.

I'll cut your deal to 5 years at AAV.

TonyGin&Juice

wat. We don't program the game. The rule is there because we can't change anything in the AI.

Look, I'm all for arguing the merits of our rules, but this one has been argued to death. Nothing new is being presented. It's there because before arb players will sign to deals way below value. We limited it to five years so you aren't buying out much more than arb with the first deals. If you wait until they go through a year of arb, they will sign more realistic deals and you can sign them as for as long as you want.

I'll cut your deal to 5 years at AAV.

That's fine, I don't have anything on the books and likely won't when this deal is done so as long as he doesn't die I'll just extend him again at a high AAV.

As far as the "WE HAVE THE RULES BECAUSE THERE ARE NO RULES" - I *think* you can set contract logic in OOTP but it's a pain in the ass. I'll check with a friend of mine that runs a similar to league that has contract rules and see how he did it. If it's not possible to set it up in OOTP itself maybe we need to have a commish approve these kind of deals.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I totally agree that the Blanks deal is fair and I would absolutely be for it but yeah the AI is stupid and you get moronic 8-year, $28m deals for top players.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Surprised no on has used the multi player opt out yet for their advantage.

My ANTI DOH contract methodology is a 5 year first contract with 2 Team Option years, so I can at least have the option of locking a player down in year 3 of the contract. It worked out well for a couple of players, but I would have had to let Claudio Montes walk if I hadn't traded him.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You wouldn't actually, since we have to wait, but we aren't changing it now.

Depends on the player. BERT sucked so much ass through his first year that he would have signed a long term contract for cheap (but that would have been a huge risk for me to sign a player who wasn't playing to his ratings).

I think a 5 year limit on all players would be good. Make the HAVES have to suffer the same fate when they want to lock down their FAVORITE GOATS.

NML

I think our contract rules are fine. There's some value if you do the five year pre-arb extension if you time it right, but the savings is minimal.

Of course, everything gets thrown out the window when we move to 17 since we've got no clue how that AI will operate.

Reactions: doh

TonyGin&Juice

I think our contract rules are fine. There's some value if you do the five year pre-arb extension if you time it right, but the savings is minimal.

Of course, everything gets thrown out the window when we move to 17 since we've got no clue how that AI will operate.

Unless everyone is getting a reset on budget I don't really think it's going to matter much.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If everyone got reset on budget I'd quit. You mongolloyds need to PAY PAY PAY for your poor financial decisions while the riggers bask in the 17 IFA signings that come with fiscal responsibility!

NML

Unless everyone is getting a reset on budget I don't really think it's going to matter much.

If anything, having different budgets means we need rules that don't exploit the AI. Otherwise people in different positions can use them to their advantage.

If we all had equal budgets, the rules mean fuck all because it wouldn't benefit anyone.

Gooksta

My ANTI DOH contract methodology is a 5 year first contract with 2 Team Option years, so I can at least have the option of locking a player down in year 3 of the contract. It worked out well for a couple of players, but I would have had to let Claudio Montes walk if I hadn't traded him.
I forget that you guys aren't on 17. But had 2 players opt out of their player opt outs in 17 though.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
It's for $82M, not $28M.
I get that. My example was some of the BS moronic deals guys would take. The AI isn't made to deal with guys singing stuff before a year of service IMO.

Player opt out clauses in '17? I may buy it right now.

Gooksta

I get that. My example was some of the BS moronic deals guys would take. The AI isn't made to deal with guys singing stuff before a year of service IMO.

Multi opt out contracts son!!

TonyGin&Juice

I thought it was a weird deal after only a full year of service but it wasn't that dissimilar from the one Rocky signed.

Has anyone done data exports out of '17 yet? I'm sick so no Magic City tonight so I might just pull the trigger on '17 tonight.

Last edited: