• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2044 WBL Season Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
North League Preview

First Tier

Amsterdam Tulips (3-1 Odds)

The Tulips have been weakened the past few years by a couple of trades that fans have called “the worst of all time” and have made them question GM OU Eleven’s sanity. One fan exclaimed “I’m as mad as a dad in traffic!”. Still though the Tulips are a strong team, sporting a rotation with two upper echelon pitchers. They have one guy that is lovingly called Rat who either pitches like he is the best in the league or like some bum they found in an alley way 15 minutes before the game. They also have arguably the best Pen in baseball which has led the league in ERA the last 2-3 years. The lineup is akin to murderer’s row with 6-7 guys who can hit over .300 and knock out 25+.

Moscow Mules (3-1 Odds)

Moscow was strong last year. They had a great staff and had timely hitting that got them to the NLSS, but then they went all in this offseason to build a ridiculous juggernaut of arms. I don’t think the WBL has seen a collection of golden arms like what Moscow has put together. Guys like Hellman, Mason, Morrero, Morales. Oh and they just added three great pieces in Rivas, Bing, and Muniz. It will be extremely hard to hit these guys in a 7 game series. They can shut down any lineup in the WBL with ease, and after the starters leave the game they have guys in the pen who will challenge the Tulips reign as the best in baseball. They haven’t really upgraded their offense but they averaged 4.6 runs a game last year which is plenty for the pitching they have.

Helsingborg Hammers (4-1 Odds)

They’d be higher if they didn’t always implode in the playoffs. The only team in the league with an arguably better lineup than the Tulips. If they didn’t trade away Zach Campbell they might be the favorites, without him they are just a step below Moscow but it is a babby step. Adding Fabian to the pen was a big deal, now they have a shut down guy who can be slotted anywhere. The past two years they’ve still been the young guys who haven’t put it together, but now they’ve been together for 3 years and should be primed to break out and get over the hump.

Second Tier

Las Vegas Pacmen (8-1 Odds)

The Pacmen are good value here, given they were in the thick of things last year in the midst of a brutal stretch of injuries. If healthy their rotation is top notch and their lineup is dangerous. The most important part of the Pacmen organization is the training staff this year. I think their pen is pretty average which could cost them in the long run, and the back half of the rotation is just decent. Their lineup can make up for that though and if they get hot they’ll have a great shot at making the playoffs.

Seoul Glow (10-1 Odds)

I haven’t paid much attention to Seoul the last few years, but they’ve quietly built a contender. Any lineup with Noda, Sally and Carrier will make pitchers nervous and their rotation is good enough at the top. They averaged 4.9 runs last year which should be enough to put them in position to steal a wild card birth this year if the chips fall right.

Bottom Bitches

Dublin Distillers (18-1 Odds)

Dublin is going through what seems to be the start of a rebuild. They’re selling off some older talent as their GM finally started paying attention. They have some young guys coming up through their system so they’re probably a few years away from competing at a high level.

Istanbul Ottomans (20-1 Odds)

I only put them this low because yankee will find a way to mess them up. They actually have a lot of talent in AAA and could field a pretty solid team if guys are put in the right spots. If their young guys come in a perform, I wouldn’t be shocked to see them in the middle of the wild card fight for most of the season. I don’t think they’re ready yet however so they’ll fall off towards the end. The future is bright and they could be in the second tier next year.

Berlin Bomber Bears (22-1 Odds)

Their strength is their rotation but it just isn’t good enough. They are decent but not great everywhere. Lots of young talent and Rutgers Mike has been stockpiling assets so they’re moving in the right direction, it will just take a few years to get there. Getting Muhin’s contract off the books after the 2045 season will be a huge relief for the front office.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Losing Campbell sucks, but I think Naz is gonna surprise some people pitching in Hun Unknown's Hammers Stadium. I think JD gave up on him too early. We gon hit bombs again doe.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Who you got? I was pretty close last year. Here are my predictions for this year.

NL
Tulips
Hammers
Mules
Glow
Istanbul
Distillers
Pac-Men
Berlin

SL
Tuts
Flying Whites
'Murricans
Gauchos
Bulls
Pirates
All Whites
Crawdads

Mules over Hammers
Mules over Tulips

Flying Whites over Murricans
Tuts over Flying Whites

Mules over Tuts

I think this is the year the Tulips fall. I hate picking my own team so I went with the Mules. Their rotation can beat anyone. I think Cairo stays healthy enough to get past FB who has some trouble scoring runs.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I got

NL:
Twolips
Mules
Glow
Hams
Vegas
Distillers
Istanbul
Berlin

SL:
Buffalo
Cairo
JD
Buenos
Kabul
Straya
Key West
Craws

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Losing Campbell sucks, but I think Naz is gonna surprise some people pitching in Hun Unknown's Hammers Stadium. I think JD gave up on him too early. We gon hit bombs again doe.
That's why i only put you 4:1. We're all pretty much the same and i think moscow is the favorite too. Over a season i think i can beat them but in a 7 game series that lineup edge doesnt mean a thing with either of your guys' pitching. Plus you have a helluva lineup too and my 4th starter is kinda trash.

Id also pick istanbul a lot higher if i believed yankee will actually look at his team and put the pieces in the right spot

jdlikewhoa

Nobody gives False Bay any love. I think we'll steamroll the SL and then barely make it out of the CS only to get smoked by Hamsterdam again

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Predictions

Tulips
Moscow
Hammers
Las Vegas
Seoul
Istanbul
Dublin
Berlin

False Bay
Tuts
Kabul
Buffalo
BA
KW
Aussies
Baton Rouge

Moscow
Tulips

Tuts
False Bay

Moscow
False Bay

Moscow

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm one 4 month Torres injury from having to fight for the wild card though. Should be interesting, it's as open as it has been in a while on the Northern front

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Who you got? I was pretty close last year. Here are my predictions for this year.

NL
Tulips
Hammers
Mules
Glow
Istanbul
Distillers
Pac-Men
Berlin

SL
Tuts
Flying Whites
'Murricans
Gauchos
Bulls
Pirates
All Whites
Crawdads

Mules over Hammers
Mules over Tulips

Flying Whites over Murricans
Tuts over Flying Whites

Mules over Tuts

I think this is the year the Tulips fall. I hate picking my own team so I went with the Mules. Their rotation can beat anyone. I think Cairo stays healthy enough to get past FB who has some trouble scoring runs.
No Way i finish 7th. I won 80 games last year with a ton of injuries. Get a full year of Mercier, Shaffer hopefully keeping up his second half. Gotta think I'll be hit a little less with SP injuries. Bullpen is a problem and I've tried (and failed) at upgrading it this off-season. But lineup will be very good 1-6 (then a giant drop off). My defense will be very, very good too every where but LF and C I'll be 70+.

The thing that does concern me is McHeshi, Fazackerly and Salas all had about as good of a year as they all can. Maybe McHeshi continues to improve but I don't know if he can have another 8.0 WAR year. I expect at least for Farid, a full year of Mercier at 1B, Shaffer/Orozco improving, a better bench (having Wilkins there will help) and the Chris Breezy/Opie 2B/SS combo being elite defensively to help with the losses I expect from those three.

The biggest key is I need Franco to have a healthy good year in the rotation. If he is good and healthy, I have a great rotation. I could try to swing some RP deals if I'm in the hunt too.

jdlikewhoa

I'm one 4 month Torres injury from having to fight for the wild card though. Should be interesting, it's as open as it has been in a while on the Northern front
1 long term injury and I'm in trouble too. Probably moreso than you. My team/system is not nearly as deep this year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
1 long term injury and I'm in trouble too. Probably moreso than you. My team/system is not nearly as deep this year.

The south is not nearly as deep either, so you'll make the playoffs. One slip up in the North and you can finish 6th

NML

Actually the south is deep, it's just not as good at the top. I'd say 7 of the 8 teams could make the playoffs

NML

So then it is deep. Istanbul, Berlin, and maybe Dublin (haven't paid enough attention) are below average.

Lloyd Carr

Moscow
Amsterdam
Helsingborg
Las Vegas
Seoul
Istanbul
Dublin
Berlin

False Bay
Buffalo
Cairo
Beunos Aires
Kabul
Australia
Key West
Baton Rouge

Moscow v Amsterdam
False Bay v Buffalo

Moscow v Buffalo

Moscow

Lloyd Carr

The North is a toss up. I think all the teams are solid, with a few being better than the rest.

Australia, Baton Rouge, and maybe Key West are bad though. Australia and Key West have pieces to win some games, but BR is a dumpster fire.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
This is why I picked Cairo over you. An injury or a down year by a player or two and you might have some trouble. You'll make the playoff regardless.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
No Way i finish 7th. I won 80 games last year with a ton of injuries. Get a full year of Mercier, Shaffer hopefully keeping up his second half. Gotta think I'll be hit a little less with SP injuries. Bullpen is a problem and I've tried (and failed) at upgrading it this off-season. But lineup will be very good 1-6 (then a giant drop off). My defense will be very, very good too every where but LF and C I'll be 70+.

The thing that does concern me is McHeshi, Fazackerly and Salas all had about as good of a year as they all can. Maybe McHeshi continues to improve but I don't know if he can have another 8.0 WAR year. I expect at least for Farid, a full year of Mercier at 1B, Shaffer/Orozco improving, a better bench (having Wilkins there will help) and the Chris Breezy/Opie 2B/SS combo being elite defensively to help with the losses I expect from those three.

The biggest key is I need Franco to have a healthy good year in the rotation. If he is good and healthy, I have a great rotation. I could try to swing some RP deals if I'm in the hunt too.
Well the bottom 4 are a toss up, but I dont see how you are better than any of them. Your lineup is nowhere near and of the top 4. McHeshi is the only player who would even start for the Hammers.

NML

The south will almost definitely come down to who stays the most injury free, besides BR. I lost Kim for the whole season and Paco for about half and I was still in it up until the deadline. KW sold then bought, so it's hard to say where they'll be. Cairo, FB, and Buffalo have mostly stayed in tact, so they'll be up there. BA is a toss up.

I'll probably have a top 2 or 3 rotation and bullpen, will just come down to if my bats produce. Darrach, DLS, and Miller are all solid bats (and above average gloves), but I don't have the big bat in the line-up that I really need.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Well the bottom 4 are a toss up, but I dont see how you are better than any of them. Your lineup is nowhere near and of the top 4. McHeshi is the only player who would even start for the Hammers.
You think Farren is better than Shaffer and/or Farid? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'd take Orozco over your 3B too. But that's not really my point. If you think I'm finishing 7th barring injuries you are smoking crack.

Anyways my lineup improved a little. My defense a lot. My starting pitching (if healthy) will be better. I think for the season as a whole my bullpen will be a little better. And I won 80 games last year. So that = finishing 7th.

osick87

Community Liaison
As for the South, a lot of teams are coin flips. I am either a bunch of young guys over their heads or Bert bounces back and the young guys play to their potential and I get into the playoffs. Starting Pitching will be a weakness of mine but hopefully the Defense aids them.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Goodness. Whole lotta love here for Moscow. I think the North is more of a free for all, and I would not be too surprised to not make the wildcard. Seoul is better. Vegas will be healthier. Istanbul will be better. Dublin is poised to be an upset king. Berlin has bats. Helga is both deeper and better. Amsterdam lost depth but not their edge.

I picked up arms in Moscow but I failed to fix our most glaring deficiencies in the middle. I feel like I have sort of a fringe strategy and I'm not sure how it will play. My hope is to be a perennial playoff contender on the strength of pitching and defense, a la the 90s Atlanta Braves, but that would require better defense than I have on the field now. In a series with Helga or Hamster we line up our top 3 pitchers and it's a stalemate - one that their lineup is more likely to break than my lineup. The only way I see us winning the pennant or more is if the playoff games go deep into extra innings and my SP depth comes into play.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I don't think you guys understand I have zero in the way of pitching. I will be 8th out of 8th in that category again this year, I may break 60 wins if lucky

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Amsterdam
Helsingborg
Seoul
Moscow
Las Vegas
Berlin
Istanbul
Dublin

Amsterdam vs. Helga: Helga

False Bay
Cairo
Buffalo
Buenos Aires
Kabul
Key West
Australia
Baton Rouge

False Bay vs. Buffalo: FB

Helga vs. FB: Helga

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You think Farren is better than Shaffer and/or Farid? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'd take Orozco over your 3B too. But that's not really my point. If you think I'm finishing 7th barring injuries you are smoking crack.

Anyways my lineup improved a little. My defense a lot. My starting pitching (if healthy) will be better. I think for the season as a whole my bullpen will be a little better. And I won 80 games last year. So that = finishing 7th.
Nah b. McHeshi would play 3B for me so Orozconpollo is out. I think Farren is better the Shaffer. Farid, no but Weber and Henny are. Just a face it, Vegas is a bottom bitch.

osick87

Community Liaison
I think the nature of the trade should be higher than 7th. I don't want you getting 8th and getting a mercy pick.