• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2043 WBL Season Thread (TRADE DEADLINE IS SUNDAY NIGHT)

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Amsterdam won, series is at 3-1. Kasib v Okada to extend the series. I'm just going, but this is definitely the last one

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Great series, that is the closest one I've ever had. I just got the breaks but no way should that have been 4-1

Wolfman21

yawn. maybe by 2050 someone will have enough players to beat Amsterdam. Then again, he can roll a baby to the plate and it'll hit .275 with 20 homers, so what do i know.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
yawn. maybe by 2050 someone will have enough players to beat Amsterdam. Then again, he can roll a baby to the plate and it'll hit .275 with 20 homers, so what do i know.

you should watch the series next year, False Bay has more than enough to beat me. I was very lucky in more than a few situations.

Wolfman21

I did watch the series. And I saw two great teams going at it. False Bay isn't on Amsterdam's level though. You had 5 guys with 100+ RBI and 7 of your starting lineup had 24+ homeruns. You don't have to try and gloss my eyes over that this league is even competitive at the top, because it isn't. I'm not complaining, my team is still a ways out anyways, so what do I care. But you've won 4 straight championships while trading your entire team away practically and as close as this series was, you won it 4-1.

Wolfman21

Its a pretty damn big gap. The only reason it isn't bigger is because hes traded away half of his team over the past season for prospects and young guns. I mean, starting Schmitt and Kahl in the postseason and still dominating? When hes posted as adamantly as he has that he is trying to lose and trying to make his team worse as he wins his 4th straight title in a row...come on man.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
First, who counts as half my team?
Second, in what weird world do you live in that winning 7-6 or 2-1 is dominating? I squeaked by in that series.

Lol at the games kahl and schmitt pitched being dominating wins

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
And Kahl is the perfect example of why OU wins huge. I was the only other guy in on him because I knew him. Ho hum it's a free FA signing whose been in the top half of SP in the game which doesn't sound like much but when you get him for nothing it means you can trade other dudes who make more/fetch more. Kahl is solid enough to give Amsterdam's offense wins and costs zero basically.

Wolfman21

didn't mean those games in particular, just the series in general. I've been paying plenty attention. He sells high to obtain prospects and plugs those prospects in place. No other team has the farm system he does though, so no other team can do what he does. I understand the cycle just fine. Big props to him however that became possible.

And "Half your team" may have been hedging a little too much. However, there isn't a team in this league outside of Amsterdam that could trade away guys like De Los Santos, Ruiz, Nico, Abbudin, Soto, Campbell, etc. and still be competitive. Much less plug someone better in their place.

^I was also in on Kahl.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Eh, I don't know about that. Some AAA scrub he already had would had cost a lot less and accomplished the same thing (See Due). He didn't need Kahl.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Right he is just an innings eater who sports a 4+ ERA. I do get that having the amount of talent in my lineup that I do means they hit better collectively, but I just can't dismantle the team. Some guys will go to FA when their contracts are up, but it will be a few years for that. Hopefully someone will take Ammar as well.

I really don't think the gap is that big, especially with me trading Campbell away. False Bay beats me next year if I throw out Okada and scrubs, i guarantee that. Helsingborg could beat me easily too if his bullpen didn't blow up constantly. Moscow can beat me. I don't think you realize how lucky I got against False Bay this year.

The gap is significantly less than it was a year ago anyway. Mostly because I traded away my staff and Torres got hurt. Watch what happens next year when I have Afeef/Schmitt/Dude off the street in my rotation

Wolfman21

lol, which is my point. You have to try to lose your team was/is so stacked. I don't know why my one comment about that caused this huge discussion. Its common knowledge.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
didn't mean those games in particular, just the series in general. I've been paying plenty attention. He sells high to obtain prospects and plugs those prospects in place. No other team has the farm system he does though, so no other team can do what he does. I understand the cycle just fine. Big props to him however that became possible.

And "Half your team" may have been hedging a little too much. However, there isn't a team in this league outside of Amsterdam that could trade away guys like De Los Santos, Ruiz, Nico, Abbudin, Soto, Campbell, etc. and still be competitive. Much less plug someone better in their place.

^I was also in on Kahl.

There are tons of teams that could trade those guys and still be competitive, like you for example. I was in your shoes 6 years ago, and sold a few guys that got me the 15 prospects I had. Everybody can sell a MR and be competitive so Abbudin is out. Soto/Campbell are non starters because they were prospects. DLS was a decent example but I only had him a year, I just flipped him. Nico and Ruiz are your only two good examples there and losing Nico put me in full reliance of the bats which worked this year. Ruiz was only okay because I signed Conner who had a great year before falling off a cliff the last half due to age.

It is possible because for a long time I was the only one who traded, which meant I was the only game in town for people wanting to move guys

Wolfman21

I have asked before and never got an answer though. How did teams get divied up in the WBL? I understand that you guys didn't join the league until 2038/2039? So who got to choose which teams to pick? How did the players end up on those teams? I didn't join til like 2041, so i'm j/w.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
lol, which is my point. You have to try to lose your team was/is so stacked. I don't know why my one comment about that caused this huge discussion. Its common knowledge.

I think it was more your hyperbole and saying the gap is huge. I didn't dominate, and the gap isn't very big anymore.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I have asked before and never got an answer though. How did teams get divied up in the WBL? I understand that you guys didn't join the league until 2038/2039? So who got to choose which teams to pick? How did the players end up on those teams? I didn't join til like 2041, so i'm j/w.

We all picked teams and simmed 20 years, wiped stats and then simmed 6-7 more. Then we started.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

^I was also in on Kahl.
Man this whole thing just says you haven't been paying attention.

At least you have been paying attention to your own team. Future in Kabul is bright.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Also, Orlando has been building the same way for the last 3-4 years. His team is stacked. I'd say he has a better team on paper than mine next year.

Only positions I'm better in really are 3B/RF. But he has 4 aces.

Wolfman21

We all picked teams and simmed 20 years, wiped stats and then simmed 6-7 more. Then we started.

gotcha, good deal.

Man this whole thing just says you haven't been paying attention.

Ok, then you explain it. I wanna know what me paying attention would have changed.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I have been doing it since Madison. I sell players I can afford to lose and then sell out for a player I really want. Then you just hope you can rebuild the farm before it catches up to your major league team. My team was just awful when we started so I didn't have much to sell, but I had a decent farm. I got some decent picks out of those first couple seasons though :laughing: I started winning when I sold out for Bernal/Fahd/Key.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think the main thing is paying attention to the talent level of the upper tier teams. Borg/Moscow/Seoul are right there. Moscow/Seoul are just a piece or two away really, Borg needs no pieces. Hell your team in 2-3 years will be on that level. Last year I was unbeatable, this year not even close. Next year will be closer than it has been in a while.

I've had a run, but it isn't a done deal I'll win forever. The problem was I was really the only one who was super active trading for a long time, mostly when we had 3-4 open teams. AI management of that many teams and me trading a lot allowed me to build easier than it is now.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah Karl made some killer moves. The weakness of those three north teams is the bullpen. Easily. No one had a pen ERA under 3. The top half of the NL is very tight. If one of those three fix that problem, I think they could get by the Tulips in a series. Moscow wasnt far off either of the last two years. The bottom four are also not far off. Berlin should be better than they are and the other three, Vegas, Dublin and Istanbul, need some top end pitching.

In the SL I dont pay as closer attention, but JD jas been building this monster for a few seasons and it isnt going away soon. Buffalo is solid but need pitching help. Cairo could win it all two if Li comes back healthy. Wolf and Osi are a couple seasons away from being real contenders instead of that 3rd playoff team in the SL that is normally about .500 or worse.

jdlikewhoa

Glad y'all rolled through the Series. The outcome was pretty much a foregone conclusion so I just wanted to get last night done, but had to get to bed.

Good series OU. Hell of a season.

I think Wolfman hit the nail on the head, so get off his nuts.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Really if you look at the games I had a one run lead or tied going into the 9th, Karpet is an auto save. I am unbeatable because Karpet shuts mofos down.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
And Kahl is the perfect example of why OU wins huge. I was the only other guy in on him because I knew him. Ho hum it's a free FA signing whose been in the top half of SP in the game which doesn't sound like much but when you get him for nothing it means you can trade other dudes who make more/fetch more. Kahl is solid enough to give Amsterdam's offense wins and costs zero basically.
Uhhh... I'm sure a few other teams were in on Kahl the final few days of FA last year. I know Cairo placed a bid.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Yeah Karl made some killer moves. The weakness of those three north teams is the bullpen. Easily. No one had a pen ERA under 3. The top half of the NL is very tight. If one of those three fix that problem, I think they could get by the Tulips in a series. Moscow wasnt far off either of the last two years. The bottom four are also not far off. Berlin should be better than they are and the other three, Vegas, Dublin and Istanbul, need some top end pitching.

In the SL I dont pay as closer attention, but JD jas been building this monster for a few seasons and it isnt going away soon. Buffalo is solid but need pitching help. Cairo could win it all two if Li comes back healthy. Wolf and Osi are a couple seasons away from being real contenders instead of that 3rd playoff team in the SL that is normally about .500 or worse.
I led the league in SP ERA. Top end pitching isn't my problem. My problem last year was health, bullpen and having 4 good hitters, one OK hitter and four shit hitters for most of the year. If Tempo Franco, Punchy Wong, Romero and Shulz all can stay healthy for a year, I like my 1-4 rotation a lot.

Also LOL at all of these people saying they were in on Kahl. He fetched a whopping $4m in FA. I guess if you offer someone $1m you're "in" on them?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you think you don't need top end pitching help, you will end up in 4th or 5th again.

Kahl is filler. OU paid him $5.5m, not $4m. You can find someone serviceable on minimum.