• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022: The Offseason Thread - The Breakup Song

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It sounds like he's full of shit lmao. OU was not on the top of the list because it was either about money or getting ready for the NFL. If it was about money then whatever NIL deal is biggest wins, if it's about preparing for the NFL then USC was at the top because he went to OU for Riley to get him ready. I find his "look at what you made us do" argument hilarious

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Honestly if someone is at a school and says "I'm putting my name in the portal" I don't think anyone defaults to staying as an option.

The reasons why you are leaving isn't something the average fan is going to understand or care about, so the diehard fans definitely aren't to going to take the time to understand the nuances of the decision.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
When a player enters the portal in the situation Williams was in, fans aren't going to just be like "omg hope you come back pls". I think he did the right thing, but don't sugar coat it trying to be the good guy. His dad should just say "coming out of HS we thought Corch Riley was the best person to get Caleb ready for the NFL and we still believe that to be the case now, so we came to USC"

Ander1345

Casey Washington left Illinois to go to Wake, came back and goes and wins a 9OT game.

This ain't your grandpappy's footbaw

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Country club hierarchy doesn't see color.

Ander1345

This dude is fucking awesome, hope he can get some real playing time this season. Mostly a special teams ace last season(actually single handedly saved the Penn State win by recovering a muffed punt).

Lived out of his car working multiple jobs, earned a scholarship and is still giving back to the community.

Ander1345

I'm sorry but this just isn't true, at least for the B1G.

Illinois has missed out on a bunch of transfers and good athletes due to academic attrition...

Ander1345

I think schools going out of their way to make sure athletes succeed doesn't necessarily mean that education itself is being devalued.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
qWlVa9V.gif

Ander1345

The vast majority of college athletes go on to something other than the NFL, and having that degree, regardless of if you got to get extra tutoring on the schools dime, helps.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
So someone getting a degree at UIUC in biology or actuarial science or even philosophy is the same as a college athlete having someone work to ensure that they're in classes with the absolute minimal requirements that they never have to attend and getting a degree in recreation, sport, and tourism?

Ander1345

I mean this instance is not "fair" but it's more nuanced than that. Football programs are huge revenue generators, helping to fund academics as well as entire other sports. A UIUC PHD is not cheapened by an athlete majoring in Communications in my opinion.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
A major public university made up fake classes and wrote papers for players to such a severe degree that they risked losing their accreditation and federal funding. There's really no argument that it doesn't devalue education

Also, not sure how that's not a fair example when I just looked at the first three players on Illinois' roster and the second player is majoring in recreation, sports, and tourism lmao. The other two are majoring in...general studies

Skeeter

Uber felon
A major public university made up fake classes and wrote papers for players to such a severe degree that they risked losing their accreditation and federal funding. There's really no argument that it doesn't devalue education
Certainly devalues north Carolina education. I don't think you can apply it broad brush.