• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022 Season: Week 8 Thread - Spiderwebs

bruin

Sorry I'm not home right now
I'm walking into spiderwebs
So leave a message
And I'll call you back
A likely story, but leave a message
And I'll call you back

Throw it back to '98 bros cause times are feeling like deja vu. Late October calls for sweatpants. College Gameday is headed to Eugene for a monumental Pac-12 tilt as Chip Kelly's UCLA Bruins come to Autzen Stadium. The League Championship Series get going in the MLB. Watch some Horror films. The theme is No Doubt. Pride of Orange County. Rock on bros.

Notable matchups:

#14 Syracuse at #5 Clemson, 9:00 AM PT - ABC
#20 Texas at #11 Oklahoma State, 12:30 PT - ABC
#7 Ole Miss at LSU, 12:30 PT - CBS
#9 UCLA at #10 Oregon, 12:30 PT - FOX
#24 Mississippi State at #6 Alabama, 4:00 PT - ESPN
#17 Kansas State at #8 TCU, 5:00 PT - FOX

51e21k094lL._SY580_.jpg

carson-daly-britney-spears-trl.jpg

_5-Things-You-Don't-Know-About-Lee-Corso-Corso-f.jpg

72390489.jpg.0.jpg

s-l500.jpg

1980-phillies-lede.jpg

6020.jpg

Stormy-Buonantony-CFB.jpg

cut.jpg

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
98 was a natty but they were really good through 2001 as well and then went to Atlanta for the sec title game in 2007. Off the cliff after that.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Illini are off this week.

Rooting for chaos.

Picks for the big games I looked at are UCLAover Oregon, K State over TCU

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Will be whining, dining, and, if I find enough willing and able West KNOX News TWINKS, 69ing in KNOXVEGAS this weekend. With my luck in this life the Vols will find a way to lose to UT-Martin and an angry Ted Russell Ford sales manager with nothing left to live for will do this world (and me) a favor and blow me away on the walk up Peyton Manning Pass.

I want to believe babby!!!!!

Mame YO

slings rocks
I’m not trying to shit on TN but why does this “logic” still exist:
EXPLAIN YOUR VOTE

Tennessee made a case to be the No. 1 team in the country, and it swayed some voters.

Those who bought in on the Volunteers cited a résumé that includes four victories against teams that were ranked at the time (at Pitt, Florida, at LSU and Alabama).
3/4 of those teams aren’t currently ranked and those same 3 each have another likely loss on their schedule, if not two.

RANKED AT THE TIME

TonyGin&Juice

I’m not trying to shit on TN but why does this “logic” still exist:

3/4 of those teams aren’t currently ranked and those same 3 each have another likely loss on their schedule, if not two.

RANKED AT THE TIME

U could make that argument this early in the year for any and all teams that aren't Alabama or Georgia. Have the Ohio State Fuckeyes beat anyone of note so far? All of these early-to-mid season ranking are pointless and are just place holding theatre until The Committee has their grift grab gettogether to pick the top four.

Mame YO

slings rocks
ur britches are gettin' pretty big lol

I already laid out the reasons why Oregon will likely lose to UCLA, ur not trog trappin' me!

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
How are my britches big? I'm not saying shit about Tennessee. If they win their games they will be in the playoff. Oregon would have if they won their games, too. Or didn't lose by eleventy billion.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Who do you want ranked ahead of them? Put Oregon ahead of them, fine by me. The rankings don't mean shit. Guess I am spoiled because if my team wins, I know they are getting into the playoffs. I recognize that fact, but I don't understand why you crying about Tennessee being ranked 3rd and bagging on their schedule, when they have actually played a really good schedule.

Mame YO

slings rocks
to me to me it's pretty naïve to think that the arbitrary rankings don't matter which is why I choose to sperg about how stupid they are. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match. And sure, your schedule is super tough when we go off of RANKED AT THE TIME nonsense. Otherwise, you have a (very) big win against Bama and that's it. Again, not trying to bag on TN it's just the shit ranking logic that drives me bonkers.

Are you telling me that UCLA's margin for error isn't significantly tighter than TN? I mean, TN could probably lose to Kentucky but if they win the SEC Shampionship they would still be in (and probably UGA too).

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
to me to me it's pretty naïve to think that the arbitrary rankings don't matter which is why I choose to sperg about how stupid they are. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match. And sure, your schedule is super tough when we go off of RANKED AT THE TIME nonsense. Otherwise, you have a (very) big win against Bama and that's it. Again, not trying to bag on TN it's just the shit ranking logic that drives me bonkers.

Are you telling me that UCLA's margin for error isn't significantly tighter than TN? I mean, TN could probably lose to Kentucky but if they win the SEC Shampionship they would still be in (and probably UGA too).
Name a single undefeated team who has played a better schedule... I really am curious because I don't see any.

I already admitted that yes I am spoiled by SEC pedigree. Not my fault. What do you want me to do about it?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Crying about Tennessee when they have a win over the 6th ranked team in the country, blew out a good LSU team, and beat a solid Pitt team on the road just because some dipshit sportswriter talked about ranked at the time is the most bit confused take posted on here in a while. They should probably be #1. Ohio State has pasted everyone but their best win is over a 3-4 Wisconsin team. UGA looked weak against Kent State and a mediocre Mizzou team.

Honestly, Tennessee should have another top 25 win because I don't really see why LSU is ranked below Mississippi State when they have the same record and LSU beat them.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I mean even if ranked at the time is your concern, who has a better resume without ranked at the time?

Mame YO

slings rocks
Name a single undefeated team who has played a better schedule... I really am curious because I don't see any.

I already admitted that yes I am spoiled by SEC pedigree. Not my fault. What do you want me to do about it?
the only undefeated teams that have played anybody are Georgia (Oregon) and Tennessee (Alabama). Again, not ragging on your team. Let's not pretend that schedule is an outlier though. Everyone schedules cupcakes non-conference, including TN. Pitt, Akron, Ball State lol.

It's more likely that 2 one-loss SEC teams make it to the playoff than a 1-loss pac-12 champion UCLA makes it.

AGAIN, NOT CRYING ABOUT TENNESSEE READ MA'FUCKING POSTS.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So don't rank OSU because they haven't played anyone? Give Oregon credit for playing Georgia and getting blown out? What are you advocating for?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Pitt is 4-2 and they played them on the road lol. And you keep ignoring the LSU blowout win, which is a better win than half the top 10 has.

TonyGin&Juice

Arguing about the rankings is peak TrickyD-era Utopia, HERMANOS. #dyingvine

At least these arguments might have some resolution. It certainly beats somem of the other insane arguments that have taken place on this dying vine the past two plus years. #win_win

Mame YO

slings rocks
All I'm saying is that RANKED AT THE TIME logic being used in weekly rankings is 1) fucking dumb and 2) has real world implications. Both Tony and Paw chimed in on my comment saying it doesn't matter, which I disagree with. That's what I'm arguing. It has nothing to do with Oregon lol, I have said for like 2 weeks they're going to probably lose to UCLA because of poor pass defense. My point is that It DOES matter when people start putting together convoluted "BEAT 6 TEAMS RANKED AT THE TIME BEST SCHEDULE IN THE COUNTRY" to justify crap like putting 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
All I'm saying is that RANKED AT THE TIME logic being used in weekly rankings is 1) fucking dumb and 2) has real world implications. Both Tony and Paw chimed in on my comment saying it doesn't matter, which I disagree with. That's what I'm arguing. It has nothing to do with Oregon lol, I have said for like 2 weeks they're going to probably lose to UCLA because of poor pass defense. My point is that It DOES matter when people start putting together convoluted "BEAT 6 TEAMS RANKED AT THE TIME BEST SCHEDULE IN THE COUNTRY" to justify crap like putting 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff.
So then Tennessee should be #1? Or what? What in the rankings do you have qualms with, sir?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Also, it sort of does matter because if you saw Florida at the beginning of the season last year and then at the end of the season, that was two totally different teams. Same for Tennessee last year. They were totally different between the beginning and the end of the season. Teams improve and get worse over time with injuries and everything else. Ranked at the time does hold some weight.

Mame YO

slings rocks
So then Tennessee should be #1? Or what? What in the rankings do you have qualms with, sir?
If the season ends something like this:

TN loses to Kentucky or Georgia in the regular season but wins the SEC shampionship vs Georgia, UCLA loses to either Oregon or USC but wins the PAC shampionship vs Oregon. One spot goes to BIG, One spot goes to SEC, Clemson gets a spot. That leaves something like either a 1 loss Georgia or a 1 loss UCLA. (TN losing the shampionship to Georgia is a similar scenario, if you prefer that version)

Are we putting Georgia in because they beat Oregon week 1 while Oregon played their first game with a new corch and 100 transfers? Are we putting UCLA in? (or for the "georgia wins the SEC" scenario, do we put a 1 loss SEC runner up TN in over UCLA?)

I mean, usually we just stick 2 SEC teams in. My argument is basically that the way the rankings shake out with all this nonsensical TRANSITIVE PROPERTY and RANKED AT THE TIME crap, it creates a huge imbalance in terms of margin for error for teams trying to get into the playoff.

I kind of said it as a throwaway comment and I'm moderately surprised you'll aren't picking up what I'm putting down. Seems relatively uncontroversial imo.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
So your entire argument is based on two teams in the same division getting into the conference title game?

Mame YO

slings rocks
It doesn't really change what I'm saying since my complaint isn't about TN specifically (and also has nothing to do with being an Oregon homer).

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Also, Tennessee and Georgia are playing in like three weeks (because they're in the same division) so the loser would not have two losses. That argument works for:

11-1 Bama beating 12-0 UGA or Tennessee
12-0 Ole Miss losing to unbeaten or one loss East winner

Tennessee, Georgia, and Bama are all much better than whomever the Pac-12 champion would be and 12-0 Ole Miss has wins over Bama and some other good teams like LSU and Mississippi State. I feel like they would probably keep Ole Miss out, that's the only one I would really have much of a problem with anyway.

I'm not sure why you're sweating this now, though, it's October.