• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2020 MLB Thread

Hike

güero
The Mets are going to hire Carlos Beltran as manager. That seems like a Mets thing to do, hire a guy with zero coaching experience. We'll have to see how this works out.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The Mets are going to hire Carlos Beltran as manager. That seems like a Mets thing to do, hire a guy with zero coaching experience. We'll have to see how this works out.
This seems like the new thing to do because of Aaron Boone I guess?

Wolfman21

This seems like the new thing to do because of Aaron Boone I guess?

Kind of an odd thing to do....sure, lets hire a coach that has no experience because one of the most talented teams with the largest payrolls hired a guy and its "kinda" worked out for them.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Kind of an odd thing to do....sure, lets hire a coach that has no experience because one of the most talented teams with the largest payrolls hired a guy and its "kinda" worked out for them.

source.gif

@Rutgers Mike

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

Cubs did the same with David Ross. Boone has seemingly done a solid job. I don’t know. The manager barely impacts the game.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Royals name former St Louis Cardinal manager Mike Matheny manager. If he can work magic like Ned Yost did, then 2024 will be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Woof... dealt with the dregs of the VORTEX Self Important Society today. What is it about crowds that encourages people to lose all civility?
I know a few people who went that are good people but I imagine it was a typical DC crowd for the most part.

Wolfman21

Giants going with kapler to replace bochy

Lol. Guess they need a lame duck coach to underperform with whatever talent they do have?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I assumed they stopped camera cheating and moved on to other forms of pitch tipping that I dreamed up, such as biomechanical analysis and algorithm/AI based number crunching with dugout relays. They were doing something, because their batters sometimes looked completely not tempted by great, close off speed for innings at a time. Very weird. But this is a good point:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
1. All postseason money from 2017 given back / biggest fine you can give.
2. No 1st-5th round picks for 3 years.
3. No IFA money for 3 years.
4. Jeff @Wooly-now gets a public lashing

PROBLEM SOLVED

Also... Remember when the Astros turned in the Cardinals for "hacking"?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Astros contracted, and Brewers Contracted too since they are one of the old Commissioner's teams

History of every Astros player erased from memory, except for Michael Brantley who just joined this year.

Contraction Draft

Astros WS win changed to Loss to Yankees in ALCS by bloop single, Dodgers given WS title.

The Wooly Treatment.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
This reminds me a bit of when Salt Lake won the 2002 Winter Olympics but got caught bribing the Olympic voters. Everyone was doing it. The Salt Lake people were better than everyone else at it and won the 2002 Games. Then they got caught and were treated like the only ones doing it.

Maybe the Astros should have tried NOT banging on garbage cans. It seems too easy to look back and confirm if it ever comes to light. Like when the Wet Bandits got caught and they were able to pin all those burglaries on them because they let the sinks overflow in every house they went to.

Wolfman21

Astros fan saying, "everyone else does it...they just dont make it obvious, have never been caught, have never had players come right out and say it"

Lol. Get outta here.

Wolfman21

Article in the athletic saying sources say that Alex Cora and Carlos Beltran will prolly get interviews with MLB as they are linked with creating this whole ordeal with Hinch. Cora was bench coach in 2017 and Beltran a DH. Cora is currently the red sox manager and beltran was just hired as the Mets manager

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
This reminds me a bit of when Salt Lake won the 2002 Winter Olympics but got caught bribing the Olympic voters. Everyone was doing it. The Salt Lake people were better than everyone else at it and won the 2002 Games. Then they got caught and were treated like the only ones doing it.

Maybe the Astros should have tried NOT banging on garbage cans. It seems too easy to look back and confirm if it ever comes to light. Like when the Wet Bandits got caught and they were able to pin all those burglaries on them because they let the sinks overflow in every house they went to.

The big thing here is cameras. That’s considered outside the lines. Maybe they aren’t the only team that has used cameras but I also doubt every team or even close to the majority have cheated with cameras. You have an ex-Astros player who warned other teams and now has come forward about it, that some indicates the Astros were going above what other teams were doing.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Astros new team song for 2020

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I never said that it was OK. I said it reminded me of the 2002 Olympic situation and that if they were going to do it they shouldn't have been so obvious and trackable. That's all I said.

And I agree that the use of cameras is where the problem really lies. If they found that they were banging garbage cans (that's what she said) without cameras, I don't know the MLB can do anything about it. Also, the guy who came forward said it was in the regular season. I'm not reading every article on this, but has there been any indication that it happened in the post season? Just curious.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I never said that it was OK. I said it reminded me of the 2002 Olympic situation and that if they were going to do it they shouldn't have been so obvious and trackable. That's all I said.

And I agree that the use of cameras is where the problem really lies. If they found that they were banging garbage cans (that's what she said) without cameras, I don't know the MLB can do anything about it. Also, the guy who came forward said it was in the regular season. I'm not reading every article on this, but has there been any indication that it happened in the post season? Just curious.
They had a guy kicked out at Fenway last year during the ALCS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
What does a drunk guy punching a Sox fan have to do with the Astros using cameras to steal signs?

I'm not defending the Stros at all, here. But I'm missing the connection on your response.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
M'bad. I got confused with the guy who got drunk and punched a Yankees fan. Sorry!

I hadn't heard that story. Wow. That one looks reel bad. So will the Astros become the SMU of the MLB? Or the Patriots where nothing seems to touch them? It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I read all the accusations from the Yankees and others and it was very obvious the Astros knew what pitchers were coming during periods of the World Series.

Here’s how the Nats countered it (at least the pieces they are willing to share):

There were some layers to the Nats’ plan for Houston. First, each pitcher had to have his own set of signs, and catchers Yan Gomes and Kurt Suzuki had to be familiar with each one. So the staff printed out cards with the codes and had them laminated. The catchers could have them in their wristbands, a la an NFL quarterback with play calls strapped to his forearm, and the pitchers would have them in their caps. Each pitcher had five sets of signs, and they could change them from game to game — or even batter to batter, if necessary. Using the set labeled No. 2, but worried the Astros were catching on? The pitcher could signal to the catcher to move to set No. 3.

The Nationals also decided that they would use multiple signs regardless of whether there was a runner on second base or not. No one on? Runner on first? Let’s make sure the catcher runs through a series of signs anyway, just in case.

“It was our best way to counteract anything that might have been going on,” Menhart said.

“We just had our guard up,” Doolittle said.

Next came the way the Nats employed their signs, which was nontraditional. Rather than just use, say, the second sign the catcher put down, the Nats might “chase the two.” That meant the pitcher would watch for the catcher to put two fingers down, and then throw the pitch that corresponded to the following sign. Or they could play “outs plus one.” So if there was one out, the pitch would be the second sign the catcher put down. If there were no outs, it would be the first sign. “Strikes plus one” worked the same way.

Hike

güero
I do remember pointing out to my wife that one relief pitcher took his hat off and looked inside it pretty often. Just thought he had some motivational phrase or something in there.