• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2021 HEINEKEN

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
what's weird is people think of this basic math as "advanced analytics" but its obviously not. i feel like every time i saw a Ravens game last year they talked about the one guy they hired for ANALYTICS who basically told them to go for it on 4th down more lol

PATs are around 94% i believe, but 2 points are actually like 48% or something. however - and this is mostly speculation - teams probably have kickers take 1000 XPs a week and they have like two plays they practice a few times that they might use at the 2. you also have some offenses who are better and some kickers who are worse, so its all relative

weirdly, the jags were the first team i'd saw for go 2 when down 9 a couple weeks ago, then the cowboys did at the 4:00 slate and ended up winning because, surprise, knowing you need two scores is way better when there's 6:00 minutes on the clock then being down 2 with 11 seconds left.

Yes so you'd have to alter all the numbers based on your team's success at some point in the season. Unless they actually used the super advanced math like multiplicative probability instead of just not, there probably wouldn't be a sample size large enough so you probably would go historic league average on 2pt conversion. If you had the same corch for a few years you could base it off that. Some corches might just blow at calling 2pt plays. There's just so many variables on a 2pt play to take the league average IMO, but maybe that just means I'm a basic eye test bitch

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
If Houston makes the PAT, they are up 8. It forces the Titans to go for two. Again, maybe they convert and still win in OT. But at least make them attempt the 2, which is more difficult to convert than the 1. Just make it a little harder. Then again, maybe they thought they had the right play call. If the pass hadn't been batted, they would have converted.
If you get the two point conversion, the game is over barring absolute insanity. I wish more corches would do this. Yeah, if you kick then the Titans have to go for two, but were the Texans really going to stop the Titans from getting two yards anyway? It’s analytics, but it’s also contextual; the Texans were getting torched. That’s good corching, but it didn’t work out so now all the trogs will be upset and it’ll never happen again. It’s similar to how you should go for two when down 14 because if you assume 50% for two point conversion, you’ll either get the first one and have an advantage or get the second one and tie up the game anyway. I think this happened in the Jags game against the Texans funnily enough. People are so terrified of going for two when they should be taking advantage of it, especially when the NFL incentivized it not that long ago.

Skeeter

Uber felon
fuck backlash, how many times since vrabel pulled that during the playoffs (which I'm sure every NFL corch was watching) has a team been in basically the exact same position and didn't do it? these people are just idiots.

i was fine with going for 2 - and in retrospect knowing that the titans kick the XP you DEFINITELY go for it
They changed that rule in the off-season to close that loop hole

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Astronaut war eagles should have went for two whilst down 14-13 to cocoa in 1991. Both teams were vying for the lead in the district title race. Astronaut had just hit a miracle 46 yard pass play to the star running back who lined up at wide receiver, making the catch on the 5 yard line falling to his back. A procedure penalty followed by a touchdown pass brought the war eagles within 1 with 11 seconds left.

Cocoa had spent the entire game bulldozing the smaller astronaut defense between the twenties. It was only some fumbles in the red zone that allowed the game to stay close. As I sat thur next to ma’dad we agreed the Kansas tiebreaker overtime would mean cocoa would just ram through the 10Yards easily and dominate the overtime as well. Go for the win now we said.

The corch kicked. The cocoa defensive back who allowed the long pass play blocked the attempt. District tilte hopes n dreams were dashed.

In the papers, the corch said he had no regrets for his decision to kick.

This is one of my favorite games of all time based on the highs and lows and a scrappy team who fell to a cocoa team that ended the regular season a perfect 10-0.

Cocoa eventually won the district title in the final district game in a win over thur rival rockledge. This game is known as the BBQ bowl in honor of the five dollar bbq dinners sold by a joint effort of the two schools in the game day. Be sure to get there early.

I’m that game, Cocoa scores on a short pass to its tight end who outraced the defense 75 yards to make the score 6-7. The winning margin was a two point conversion ran in by, you guessed it, the same player who blocked the kick to beat astronaut earlier in the season.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
What a redemption story in for the Cocoa cornerback.

Every game should be a BBQ BOWL

A review of the final stats for the year shows he had a nice little Senior szn in addition to those highlights, 2 interceptions and 62 tackles with 26 being solo. He was the top vote getter amongst defensive backs whilst earning an all-space coast first team selection. This for a Cocoa team that led the space coast in defense yielding only 151.8 yards per game and 7 ppg.

A note of interest to both you @Mr. Radpants n @Southpaw is that the Space coast leader in sacks that year with 17 for 99 yards in losses was future Miami Hurricane and Tennessee Titan, Kenny Holmes. Of course, this was when the Vero Beach FIghting Indians were considered part of the space coast and members of the Cape Coast conference, which I do not believe is this case in modern times.

1603125423270.png

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Just discovered yesterday is this 6 month old "A FOOTBALL LIFE" featuring Cris COllinsworth. Around the 10:40 or so mark I see for the first time live action footage of Collinsworth playing Quarterback for Astronaut high. This is what ma'mom would see if she had been able to go to games. Which if I remember correctly she didn't go, due to ma'grandpa forbidding it.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Did anybody see the end of the Titans/Houston game? I thought I saw this real time but I had to go back to check to make sure, but Vrabel had one of the smartest FOOTBAW corching decisions I've seen in a long time:

Houston has a 2nd and 1 from like the 15, so he intentionally sends 12 players on the field to give them a first down AND stop the clock. It basically forced Houston to only have one more first down to run clock while also stopping the clock on the first down (obviously very high odds of them picking it up). On the broadcast, you can see a Titans player looking over and asking him wtf is going on and Vrabel gives him one of those "hand pushing down 'relax' motions."

I know nfl corches are generally mongs but fair play to him for that. There's stuff like this that should happen literally every game but no one asks anyone who would know/corches worried about the backlash. Refreshing to not see obvious advantages thrown away and in this case it probably won them the game
lwA2VR8.png

:nebraskaman:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Just discovered yesterday is this 6 month old "A FOOTBALL LIFE" featuring Cris COllinsworth. Around the 10:40 or so mark I see for the first time live action footage of Collinsworth playing Quarterback for Astronaut high. This is what ma'mom would see if she had been able to go to games. Which if I remember correctly she didn't go, due to ma'grandpa forbidding it.

I'm dying at these scumbag south Philly yokels that got all upset that Collinsworth didn't want the Eagles to win. Imagine that, someone rooting against a Philly team.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30047704/arizona-cardinals-coach-kliff-kingsbury-beautiful-mind

Kingsburys' reputation as an offensive savant has grown with each stop thanks, in part, to his willingness to be creative and adapt.

"There's a lot of offensive coaches who spend an extreme amount of time figuring out what the defense does," said Cardinals wide receivers coach David Raih, who also coached with Kingsbury at Texas Tech in 2013. "He's more concerned about what we do, which is a very aggressive way to play offense."

To Kingsbury, that was a natural way of approaching offensive football. "It always made sense to me that we're the one with the snap count, we're the one who controls the tempo, so make them react to us," he said.

It has led to high praise.

Cardinals running back Kenyan Drake described him as a "mad genius."

Cornerback Patrick Peterson said he's a "mad scientist."

Left tackle D.J. Humphries called him "the wizard."

Texas Southern coach Clarence McKinney, who coached with Kingsbury for five years at Houston and Texas A&M, said: "It's like the 'Rain Man.'"

Brandon Jones, the Houston Cougars' offensive line coach who held the same position with Kingsbury at Texas Tech in 2017 and 2018, said, "It's like something I've never seen. It's like 'A Beautiful Mind.'"

KLIFF

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
This was posted after the injury riddled game 9ers had in Jersey Hell. Absolute quality. And knowing the forums, ahem, history... wanted to share.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Streaming down their faces. Tua simply wiped the tears away with his thumb as he tilted their head up by the chin. He looked them all in the eyes and said, “don’t cry my sons. We will go to the promised land together” and then his dad beat him with jumper cables.

I’m hoping this was a reference to the askreddit guy