• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2020-21 Corches Trebuchet

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I dunno what's going on with Harbaugh. The team has sucked for years but keeps sending tons of dudes to the NFL. It's so weird.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I dunno what's going on with Harbaugh. The team has sucked for years but keeps sending tons of dudes to the NFL. It's so weird.

The two most prevalent theories are: 1) The Michigan administration has told him to rein in his sideline antics which takes away from who he is and 2) He has gotten away from his "West Coast Power" offensive philosophy that he ran at Stanford. When he ran that offense at Michigan, he was successful. Winning upper level bowl games and competitive with Ohio State. Things have gone off the rails now that he has tried to move to the read/spread option like every other top level college team. This, again, is Harbargh getting away from who he is which is a NASHUAL corch coaching in college. That's the problem he can fix. Going back to who he is.

The problem he can't fix quickly is recruiting. The overall talent pool, in Michigan, has declined over the last 20 years. Ohio State has completely walled off the top talent from leaving Ohio. In the past, that used to be Michigan's second biggest recruiting base. Harbargh, for whatever reason, completely ignores recruiting PA preferring to recruit the Baltimore-DC area and mining the one or two D1 prospects out of New England. As a result, he's forced to head out west and head south and bang heads with the SEC/Big 12/Pac 12 for talent. He loses out more than he wins.

The recruiting strategy use to be: Michigan-Ohio-PA-Illinois and supplement with Florida-Texas-California
Now it's: Michigan-Baltimore/DC-Scraps from Ohio-Florida-Texas-California and supplement with PA-Illinois

The most glaring this is seen is on the OL/DL. Michigan used churn out O-Lines that just wore the defense out during the course of a game. They don't do that any more. These teams are now seen at Wisconsin.

At some point, Michigan needs to decide what it wants to be. Does it want to be a team that bangs heads year-in/year-out with the elite of college football? Or, does it want to go back to what it was under Bo/Mo/Lloyd which is churning out consistent but not flashy 8-4 to 10-2 teams while being consistently ranked in the 10-20 range with the occasional bounce into the top 5 or 10.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

I think @goblue96 is partially right, but I think on the field, it's simpler. He hasn't been able to field anything but a slightly above-average QB. It's year 6, and it's the first year he's started a QB he recruited. The QB play has been okay to bad during his tenure, and never really where you need it to be to have a top 5-10 team. He's had 1 QB drafted in 6 years at Michigan, and that was a grad transfer QB who went in the 6th round (Rudock). He also can't get a healthy starting QB to the Ohio State game, but I think that only really mattered in 2016.

There's also been some really bad recruiting decisions, like recruiting a bunch of slow CBs to play in a man-to-man defense (after watching OSU torch even our good CBs year after year), or not recruiting any defensive tackles. He ran off all of his linebackers, which means we now have a walk on playing LB because of one injury.

It also turns out he's shitty at clock management, as well as playing against up-tempo teams.

This year is probably an aberration, but there's definitely a cap on the program with Harbaugh still here.

Brick

harbaugh needs a QB.

he ain't gonna have a SYSTEM offense where you can plug and play a QB and put and win big games.

at furd his last two years he had luck + vic fangio DC and that defense was loaded.

in NASHNUL he had kaepernick at a petfrct time when the nfl had no idea how to defend the spread option running concepts and he took advantage of it.

lol at @goblue96 saying him not being able to go nuts on the sideline is holding him back.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Harbaugh has also hit New Jersey hard while he’s been at Michigan but so has the rest of the Big Ten.
Should Michigan be better this year? Probably but it’s a weird year. Maybe they should lower their standards tho. They have averaged 9 wins a year with Harbaugh, and that’s basically what they did under Moeller and Carr.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Take away the cooper years and they are who they have always been. They haven't won an outright championship since leather helmets were used. Top 20 with an occasional good year is their ceiling.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Take away the cooper years and they are who they have always been. They haven't won an outright championship since leather helmets were used. Top 20 with an occasional good year is their ceiling.

Maybe it's just that they've also never had a coach who was considered elite (among the Top 3 corches at any given time)? You've had Woody and Urban and Tressel. Other blue-bloods can usually point to one or two or three coaches who were considered top-tier in their day.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I think @goblue96 is partially right, but I think on the field, it's simpler. He hasn't been able to field anything but a slightly above-average QB. It's year 6, and it's the first year he's started a QB he recruited. The QB play has been okay to bad during his tenure, and never really where you need it to be to have a top 5-10 team. He's had 1 QB drafted in 6 years at Michigan, and that was a grad transfer QB who went in the 6th round (Rudock). He also can't get a healthy starting QB to the Ohio State game, but I think that only really mattered in 2016.

When has Michigan ever had a slightly than above-average QB? For years, Michigan had a pipeline of 6-3 to 6-5 220 lb. QBs. Grbac to Collins to Dreisbach to Henson to Henne. All of them were slightly above average in college but got drafted because they fit the NFL mold of QB.

Rudock and Patterson were a return that style of play. It’s not flashy but it will grind out 8 to 10 wins with the right OL and RBs. It won’t win you an NC unless you catch lightning in bottle like ‘97 which was defense driven not because Griese was an elite QB.

Wisconsin and to an lesser extent Iowa have become what Michigan once was. That 9-3/10-2 team who plods along and finishes the year ranked between 10-20 and for years the Michigan fan base and administration was fine with that.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
honest question: Have they ever really recovered from losing to App State at home?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Man, I need more of that statue of liberty read option lol

bruin

ELITE programs need ELITE coaches.
Was OU ELITE with BLAKE? SC with HACKETT? ALABAMA with FRANCHIONE?
Can’t convince me CULTURE doesn’t have anything to do with it. In my childhood all CLEMSON was known for was the ROCK at the Stadium and WOODROW dantzlier

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
If you hire a bum, any team can be bad no matter how blue their blood is. If you hire a good coach, any green blood can be good, but their sure gonna have a hard time holding on to them. That and everybody loses their fastball eventually are the 2 things I’ve learned from college football in my 39+ Years on earth

Lightningwar

Administrator
The downfall of 2020 Harbaugh reminds me a lot of FSU at the tail end of Fishers reign. Great recruiting but results on the field kept getting harder to produce. Yes, Fisher had 10 win seasons until the bottom dropped out in 2017(5-6). But he was also playing against the ACC. Place FSU in the B1G and I think by 2015 and definitely 2016 looking like 2020 Michigan. Same bored look in the sideline eyes. Same going through the motions. Sounds like there are cultural issues in the locker room. The msg grows stale over time for a lot of these coaches. It is impressive what Saban has been able to do when put into this context. If Harbaugh wants to stay I would suggest a Brian Kelly like purge. New assistant coaches to bring a new msg.

Renegade

Charge on!
Kentucky fired their Co-OCs, Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw. Gran is a strong recruiter and will probably have another job by Tuesday.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You gotta have a CROOTS CLICK guy at Kentucky to do anything better than 4-8.
9604480.jpg

Renegade

Charge on!
Mumme recruited Southpaw to Valdosta St. watched film in his office with him for like 3 hours. Was gonna go there. Then like 2 weeks later he left for Kentucky.

I can't even imagine the melt down an SEC school would have if they even just interviewed a D-2 head corch now. If I'm not mistaken, Chris Klieman is the only current P5 coach who came directly from FCS.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Urban's heart can't handle Texas boosters on an everyday basis.

I think Mack Brown is the only person that can handle Texas boosters. And even he couldnt contain the beast over time. I never really bought into Meyers to Texas. On paper it looks like a fit, school with the most resources with one of the best coaches in the history of the sport. But the backend of Texas is bad and Meyer looks like a guy who demands complete control. I think when tOSU banned him for a few games in 2018 it sealed the deal he was out.