• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2020-21 Corches Trebuchet

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Dear Kwansei Gakuin University,

ANNOUNCE LES MILES YOU FUCKING N**S!!!!!

Signed,

the Hachiko!

Renegade

Charge on!
Dear Kwansei Gakuin University,

ANNOUNCE LES MILES YOU FUCKING N**S!!!!!

Signed,

the Hachiko!

giphy.gif

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
@Hachiko wants a Japanese university that probably has a major for Hentai Development and Exploration to hire a football coach who is a creepy perverted sexual deviant. They go together like sushi and sake.
A team that is capable of holding its own with KU, I might add. Seriously though, Satoshi Ikeno (current KG coach) is a better fit for the job than Les Miles, wink wink.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
A team that is capable of holding its own with KU, I might add. Seriously though, Satoshi Ikeno (current KG coach) is a better fit for the job than Les Miles, wink wink.

Didn't KG get smoked by Princeton? Princeton! If they can't get over on an Ivy, I don't think a Big XII opponent (even a shitty one like the Jayhawks) would be a better matchup for them.

Renegade

Charge on!
Didn't KG get smoked by Princeton? Princeton! If they can't get over on an Ivy, I don't think a Big XII opponent (even a shitty one like the Jayhawks) would be a better matchup for them.

Doesn’t the USA team made up of D3 players always crush foreign all-star teams in the university games or whatever it’s called?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Doesn’t the USA team made up of D3 players always crush foreign all-star teams in the university games or whatever it’s called?

What sports are you referring to?

I suspect our college players are generally head and shoulders above similar-aged competition in most sports outside of soccer, rugby, cricket, and maybe badminton. In football, I suspect a really good high school team could beat most non-Americam collegiate teams.

Renegade

Charge on!
What sports are you referring to?

I suspect our college players are generally head and shoulders above similar-aged competition in most sports outside of soccer, rugby, cricket, and maybe badminton. In football, I suspect a really good high school team could beat most non-Americam collegiate teams.

There’s some international college football competition. I’ve watched a few games over the years. The USA team is like all D3 players and my recollection is they beat the living hell out of everyone else including Canada.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
There’s some international college football competition. I’ve watched a few games over the years. The USA team is like all D3 players and my recollection is they beat the living hell out of everyone else including Canada.

Just on my cursory research, I've learned that gridiron American style college football is played not only in Japan, but also in Mexico, South Korea, the UK, and of course, Canada.

I had known Japan played college football, ever since I watched a program as a kid that showed what was then called the "Pulsar Bowl" and was their collegiate championship game, and I remember being quite intrigued about it.

I've got to wonder about the skill level of these international players, given that probably fewer than 5% of them played ANY sort of organized football before college (with the exception of Canada, which I know plays HS footbaw), but I think it would still be neat to watch.

Or, it might be on a par with watching high school level American soccer.

Renegade

Charge on!
I don’t see any of those guys wanting to go to Kansas

Fritz is 60, so this is probably his last chance for doubling his salary. And Monken isn’t getting a better P5 offer, so unless he wants to stay at Army, this might be his shot.

Agree that Leipold can probably wait another year or two and see what else he can get.

Also read a rumor of Skip Holtz...not sure if he can do much better than KU. He’s not going to make the NY6 at La Tech and hasn’t even won a conference title in weak CUSA...just don’t see a good P5 program hiring him with that track record and having failed so miserably at USF. So also may just want to double or triple his salary before heading to TV.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Fritz can get somewhere else if he has a big season in the next year or two. I don’t agree that this is the only P5 offer Monken could get, but I’d rather stay at Army than go to Kansas, especially in mid-March with COVID still going on. They should hire Creighton. Holtz would be fine, too.

Soonerfan09

Just on my cursory research, I've learned that gridiron American style college football is played not only in Japan, but also in Mexico, South Korea, the UK, and of course, Canada.

I had known Japan played college football, ever since I watched a program as a kid that showed what was then called the "Pulsar Bowl" and was their collegiate championship game, and I remember being quite intrigued about it.

I've got to wonder about the skill level of these international players, given that probably fewer than 5% of them played ANY sort of organized football before college (with the exception of Canada, which I know plays HS footbaw), but I think it would still be neat to watch.

Australia also plays, although I’m not entirely sure of the level.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Agree to disagree, but if he still wants to coach, he needs to do it overseas. He is finished over here.

Soonerfan09

Staples: Kansas needs to do what comes unnaturally — go for it with Kevin Kelley
https://theathletic.com/2437466/202...in-kelley-staples/?source=user_shared_article

At first glance, Kelley’s methods seem daft. His Pulaski Academy team doesn’t punt. It onside kicks after every score. It routinely runs trick plays. And all the Bruins do is pound the stuffing out of teams that usually have far more physically gifted players.
They should have hired Rick Jones from Greenwood, but I don’t know that Kelley would be the worst hire.

Skeeter

Uber felon
We've had a few canadian teams travel down to play my local hs. The canadian teams without fail are horrendous. I remember one game where the kick off return guy called a fair catch on the 5 yard line of the opening kick of the game. We would hang 70 on them with a running clock

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

National Championship for Colleges is called Koshien Bowl, high school championship is called Christmas Bowl, pro national championship is Japan X Bowl and overall national championship is called Rice Bowl. Korea's overall national championship is, aptly, called the Kimchi Bowl. #bowlseason

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
We've had a few canadian teams travel down to play my local hs. The canadian teams without fail are horrendous. I remember one game where the kick off return guy called a fair catch on the 5 yard line of the opening kick of the game. We would hang 70 on them with a running clock

Do Canadian HS teams play by the same rules as the CFL (12 men a side, only 3 downs, 110 yard field)? And if so, do you think part of them being bad at playing American teams has to do with adjusting to differing rules?

Or is it perhaps that football in Canada is like, well, probably like soccer in the USA - a given school's most athletically gifted players tend to play football, basketball or baseball, and soccer generally doesn't get the high-level athletes. In Canada, I suppose anyone who is an athlete wants to play hockey.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Do Canadian HS teams play by the same rules as the CFL (12 men a side, only 3 downs, 110 yard field)? And if so, do you think part of them being bad at playing American teams has to do with adjusting to differing rules?

Or is it perhaps that football in Canada is like, well, probably like soccer in the USA - a given school's most athletically gifted players tend to play football, basketball or baseball, and soccer generally doesn't get the high-level athletes. In Canada, I suppose anyone who is an athlete wants to play hockey.

Canadian HS/University play under CFL rules.

Renegade

Charge on!
Is there any guarantee Monken runs the option at KU?

Apparently he has said he might not run the option, but I can't see a guy like him abandoning it entirely. Maybe something like Fritz adapted at Georgia Southern running it out of the pistol? I think Bob Davie did something similar at New Mexico?

coogrfan

I would love to know what skeletons Willie Fritz has in his closet. Man is a top-notch coach but can’t sniff a power five job.

Brick

yeah i have watched plenty of tulane in his tenure and while he has brought stability i have at no point thought he was some kind of potential hot get for a legit PROGRUM.

Renegade

Charge on!
I think there’s a failure to judge coaches within the realm of their programs. Fritz should be able to win 8-9 at Tulane, but given that he took over a dumpster fire, he’s done well there overall. Not to mention he’s won everywhere else he’s been.

Not true with KU here, but generally there’s too much focus on winning the press conference/social media response these days with the hot name OC or coach who pulled off one big season instead of coaches who build programs. Fritz is not going to make the NY6 at Tulane, nor is anyone else, and if that’s the sort of winning he needs to get a P5 job, that isn’t a reasonable expectation based on the realities of that program.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Not saying he isn’t a good corch, but nobody is hiring a 61 year old whose best season at the G5 level is 7-6, Tulane or not. Tulane has its problems, but they’ve also invested a lot into that program. If he won 8-9 games like you said, he would be getting more attention, but he loses too many games he shouldn’t. They lost to 3-5 Houston and 3-7 Navy last year. That’s not attractive to anybody when it’s your fifth year running a program. Start out 5-1 in 2019 and they drop 5 of their last 7. His third year was really impressive, but they haven’t done anything better since then. He should’ve had an 8-9 win season at this point, and yeah, it’s Tulane, but don’t be shocked when nobody wants to hire a guy who’s 61 and hasn’t done better than 7-6. Moving to Tulane was a dumb move on his part if he’s interested in going to the P5. He could’ve kept winning 8-10 games a year at GSU and eventually gotten hired at a low level program in the ACC/SEC/Big 12.

I don’t know why you guys are so obsessed with Fritz, anyway. If you want to talk about a guy who has succeeded everywhere and is doing well at a program with a ton of constraints, Chris Creighton has more or less the same resume as Fritz except winning 7 games at EMU is like winning 10 at Tulane and he’s done it twice.

Renegade

Charge on!
Not saying he isn’t a good corch, but nobody is hiring a 61 year old whose best season at the G5 level is 7-6, Tulane or not. Tulane has its problems, but they’ve also invested a lot into that program. If he won 8-9 games like you said, he would be getting more attention, but he loses too many games he shouldn’t. They lost to 3-5 Houston and 3-7 Navy last year. That’s not attractive to anybody when it’s your fifth year running a program. Start out 5-1 in 2019 and they drop 5 of their last 7. His third year was really impressive, but they haven’t done anything better since then. He should’ve had an 8-9 win season at this point, and yeah, it’s Tulane, but don’t be shocked when nobody wants to hire a guy who’s 61 and hasn’t done better than 7-6. Moving to Tulane was a dumb move on his part if he’s interested in going to the P5. He could’ve kept winning 8-10 games a year at GSU and eventually gotten hired at a low level program in the ACC/SEC/Big 12.

I don’t know why you guys are so obsessed with Fritz, anyway. If you want to talk about a guy who has succeeded everywhere and is doing well at a program with a ton of constraints, Chris Creighton has more or less the same resume as Fritz except winning 7 games at EMU is like winning 10 at Tulane and he’s done it twice.

Totally agree on Creighton. And I think Fritz went to Tulane because he wasn’t sure he would get a shot coming from Ga Southern, so he cashed in when Tulane doubled his salary.