• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2020-21 Club Soccer (UCL, EL, Libertadores, CCL & Domestic Leagues)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Honestly I'd have little problem with this if it didn't include Arsenal and Tottenham, with permanent slots, lol. I do think this league is dead in the water if FIFA follows through on banning the players from international competitions. Only random Brazillians will be playing in this league if so, just like they do now in China/Qatar.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Honestly I'd have little problem with this if it didn't include Arsenal and Tottenham, with permanent slots, lol. I do think this league is dead in the water if FIFA follows through on banning the players from international competitions. Only random Brazillians will be playing in this league if so, just like they do now in China/Qatar.

Inter and ACM haven't done shit in the past 10 years compared to their history either.

This isn't about the best on-field teams, it's about the teams that make the most money with the widest international fanbase/appeal.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah, in reality club soccer without pro/rel or the chance for 'smaller' teams to win titles and glory is just boring. No one wants to see Milan, Spurs, and Spartak Moscow acting as the T-Losses, GRIZZ, and Knicks for 20 years in this league.

Snorky's Shame

tv deals can be for 10+ years at a time. the money might slowly trickle down but it'll be a while before nbc, for example, can get out of their epl deal and i think cbs bought uefa until 2024. can they work out a tv deal for the fall to recover all the lost money from the epl and ucl? maybe, but they better work fast

someone with the ESL leaked that they were in discussion with amazon, among others, for a broadcasting deal and amazon already separated isself

cant believe this shit has me rooting for fifa, uefa, and amazon

There are outs/contingencies in TV deals. Considering the teams and leagues involved, someone will broadcast this.

Don’t root for FIFA or UEFA either, they’re only in this because their money and power are threatened. There are no good guys here.

Snorky's Shame

FIFA and UEFA aren’t that stupid to do that. This isn’t 1970, players are choosing club over country now.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
tv deals can be for 10+ years at a time. the money might slowly trickle down but it'll be a while before nbc, for example, can get out of their epl deal and i think cbs bought uefa until 2024. can they work out a tv deal for the fall to recover all the lost money from the epl and ucl? maybe, but they better work fast

someone with the ESL leaked that they were in discussion with amazon, among others, for a broadcasting deal and amazon already separated isself

cant believe this shit has me rooting for fifa, uefa, and amazon
If these teams leave, I'm rather certain NBC, CBS, etc. will all be able to get out of their deals.

UEFA always does TV deals that are 4 years to coincide with how they re-do the rules of UCL/EL every 4 years. This is a better model than the 10-year deals because TV revenues are going up at such a high rate.

But I really do think it comes down to the difference in revenue between Top 4 and not in PL is giant. There's a reason why there are 6 teams from that league and no where else. I think adding yet another spot to 2 to the Coefficient Country 1-2 leagues will be a solution.

IMO -- It really comes down to the amount of dates/matches. English teams are very much are trying to trade domestic dates for European. This makes sense to me because one is just worth a ton more. I Think the CL idea of 10 match days with a single table for CL is a decent idea. They probably need to do even more.

The Netherlands made it so teams in Europe don't play in the Cup until after Winter Break. Give PL teams in Europe more byes. They should just kill the LC too.

I just think there are so many easy concessions leagues can make that they'll finally do: weekend European matches, mini-competitions/tournaments, less Cup matches, maybe even less league matches, league playoffs? etc.

NML

Chelsea pull out of SL

rip super league 4/18/21 - 4/20/21

cant believe this league that gets proposed every 2 years didnt make it this time

Last edited:

NML

also seeing as any team can be relegated from a league and the UCL has no guarantees of who is in it, id be more than shocked to the idea that they can just get out of their tv deals at will if teams are removed

this thing was dead in the water from the get-go. these clubs made a play to try and get uefa to roll over on the ucl and they called their bluff. fuck em

Snorky's Shame

Yeah, even if this Super League falls apart, the way European Soccer is structured now isn’t sustainable long term. Basically you’re just kicking the problem to five years from now.

EDIT: Honestly this is a pretty fascinating story to follow and I don’t think it’s over. What needs to happen is a solution that doesn’t just help the clubs of the big five leagues but every league in Europe. Either regional leagues or one competition that every country has a chance to legitimately qualify for.

EDIT2: If you haven’t listened to the Spanish Football Podcast this week, it’s a good listen about the Spanish viewpoint on all this.

EDIT3: Now Atletico and Barcelona are opting out.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

Notice how the four clubs opting out have no US links.

It also looks like Barcelona’s exit is being phrased as Laporta not wanting to authorize the move without the Socios involved.

I’d imagine this is how the end of the Cuban Missile Crisis left like.

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
also seeing as any team can be relegated from a league and the UCL has no guarantees of who is in it, id be more than shocked to the idea that they can just get out of their tv deals at will if teams are removed
They signed the contracts understanding teams can be relegated. They did not that teams could just withdraw. Not at all the same.

It's why the CL rights are up 4 years. Providers sign deals based on the rules which change every 4 years.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Since they invited Arsenal they should also invite other 10th place teams

Hah, this was a joke but now that the SL is disintegrating, Arsenal and Tottenham can invite other mid-level clubs and fill it out!

WELCOME SC BRAGA, GENOA, AND HIBERNIAN

I clearly have no idea what clubs are mid-table in these other leagues, those are just guesses.

Snorky's Shame

So Ed Woodward resigns as Executive Vice-Chairman at Manchester United. The fallout begins.

So by my calculations there are 239 clubs that qualify for European competition every year.

You could add 17 more teams and have two rounds of qualifiers.

Teams that get knocked out of the first round (128 teams) go into a knockout competition (the new UEFA Conference League or whatever they call it).

Teams that get knocked out of the second round (64 teams) go into the Europa League which would be straight knockout.

Teams that win both rounds go into the UCL which would consist of 8 groups of 8 with the top 4 in each group advance to the knockout stage.

Or you could stay at 239 and give the UCL winner + the next best 16 teams in European competition over a five year span byes to the UCL and adjust the format above.

Snorky's Shame

If Florentino Perez resigns at Real Madrid I’m laughing.

You’ll probably have to get him to leave kicking and screaming though.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia

Dear Nutopians,

Ahahahahahahaahaah.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

Signed,

The Hachiko!

Snorky's Shame

So I did a sample draw of my 64-team UCL proposal. I took the top 64 teams in the UCL all-time table and limited country representation to how many UCL and EL spots they would get. Germany had 8 teams in the top 64 but only 7 European spots.

Group A: Real Madrid, Ajax, Olympiakos, Spartak Moscow, Marseille, Bremen, Club Brugge, BATE

Group B: Porto, Milan, Manchester City, Dynamo Kyiv, Rangers, Besiktas, Kobenhavn, Lille

Group C: Manchester United, Dortmund, Atletico, Monaco, Lazio, Sporting CP, Fenerbahce, Sturm

Group D: Juventus, Liverpool, Leverkusen, Sevilla, CSKA Moskva, Sparta Praha, Goteborg, Steaua

Group E: Barcelona, Internazionale, Benfica, Schalke, Rosenborg, Zenit, Feyenoord, Leeds

Group F: Chelsea, Lyon, PSV, Galatasaray, Napoli, Celtic, Leipzig, Villarreal

Group G: Bayern, Valencia, Roma, Panathinaikos, Tottenham, Bordeaux, Lokomotiv Moskva, Dinamo Zagreb

Group H: Arsenal, Paris, Shakhtar, Deportivo, Basel, Anderlecht, Fiorentina, Wolfsburg

It’s far from perfect but it does give a lot more clubs and countries representation in the UCL.

Snorky's Shame

Bordeaux in administration after US owners withdraw.

This is the tip of the iceberg in France. Bordeaux won’t be the only ones doing this.

Snorky's Shame

Maybe a combined French-Spanish "SUPER" League could result. :laughing::thinking::Ligthbulb:

Barcelona did threaten to go to Ligue Une if Catalonia did became independent.

This would be a decent “Latin” league though:

Lyon
Marseille
Monaco
Paris
Internazionale
Juventus
Lazio
Milan
Napoli
Roma
Benfica
Porto
Sporting CP
Atletico
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Sevilla
Valencia

I remember having a league like this in Master League in the early days of PES/WE.