• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sperg about Motor Racing thread

Wolfman21

well, just now see that the 9 team protested and nascar changed their ruling on that and gave him 5th place since the 21's penalty is still there.

Wolfman21

south-park-cum.gif

Wolfman21

Just listening to Fast Talk on PRN and they've got Kyle Petty on. They asked him his favorite moment of the weekend and he said it was watching his fellow competitor, Bill Elliott, get to celebrate something so special with his son. And that hit hard because Kyle was on that path before Adam's accident. Tough

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Might be a good idea to abandon the Bahrain GP and find out why Grosjean's car was cut in half by the barrier.....

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Terrifying to watch. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were designed to do. But money has to be made so they've carried on....

Wolfman21

Need to go to safer barriers that nascar has instituted at all of their tracks. That barrier he hit looked like something id see on the side if i-95

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Need to go to safer barriers that nascar has instituted at all of their tracks. That barrier he hit looked like something id see on the side if i-95

What's amazing is that they didn't even have a tyre wall in front of it. It's not like Bahrain is short of money to get this right...

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
And then what happened?

Haha. One of the best races I've ever watched. Sort of keeping my fingers crossed that Hamilton doesn't make it back next week. Would love to see Russell in a good car. I never realised he was quite that talented.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Glorious failure is far more what I'm used to from Ingerlish racing drivers though. tbh....

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Wow. That was one of the best drives I've ever seen from Lewis Hamilton. Slower car, older tires, no problem.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Meh. It helps that the cars can’t pass once they get close to a leading car. IMHO, Lewis was far more impressive at McLaren than he ever was at Mercedes.

Wolfman21

i've tried following F1 much more since covid hit. Watched most of the racing last season and watched today from beginning to end. And man...it makes me realize how lucky we are to have nascar. Its truly amazing to me how much money and how much of a following F1 has and without having mechanical issues, there are no more than 2-3 cars, the same cars, that are going to win every race. And theres very little passing. Pit strategy and qualifying up front are more important than running great laps. I enjoyed watching the race today, and i don't know why...and maybe thats the allure of it. But not because the racing was good...maybe because it was just new to me?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Meh. It helps that the cars can’t pass once they get close to a leading car. IMHO, Lewis was far more impressive at McLaren than he ever was at Mercedes.

:dunno: Verstappen had a faster car, 10 laps fresher tires and DRS. If he was good enough, he could have overtaken. There was enough overtaking down the field. It's difficult to pass, but it's certainly not impossible. Hamilton just didn't make a single mistake for him to pass, and also trapped him into fucking his tires up by passing him illegally. Also the talent it took to manage his tires for 20+ laps so that the finish was possible was masterful. Just look at how quickly Verstappen fucked up his tires in the last two laps and compare.

I do agree @Wolfman21, but F1 has always been like that. If they fuck with it and make it more competitive it wouldn't be F1 anymore. Watching the drivers and cars having to eat out that margin is one of the things about it for me. Just look at Ferrari at the moment, with the most money and just can't get it together. But they will, eventually. That's the thing. F1 v NASCAR is like soccer vs basketball. It requires patience.

It's always the same too when there's a GOAT involved in F1. Everyone starts saying 'it's the car', and 'it's just not competitive'. I think Lewis Hamilton proved it was the driver yesterday. If he was in that Red Bull, he would have won the race by 20 seconds. Also you have to take into account what a GOAT driver does for car development. It's not an accident that Schumacher and Hamilton had the best cars year in year out. They know more than anybody what's needed to eek any tiny advantage.

Last edited:

Wolfman21

yea, i mean, i guess if i had been following the sport for decades and were a diehard F1 fan, i'd have a different POV. But as a new fan to the sport of about 1 year now...the dominance of one team compared to the rest of the field is not something I find appealing. Hamilton is a great driver, that much should be evident to anyone. I just hate going into a race and knowing "ok...its going to be one of these 2-3 guys that is going to win today...everyone else should basically pack up their shit". That is incredibly boring to me.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
It's such a European sports culture thing though. We have dominant top teams in most of our sports. When someone or a team makes that breakthrough it does make it all the more spectacular for it.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
George Russell getting into that car and not even knowing what the buttons on the steering wheel do, and still blasting the field away just showed me that it’s all the car. Hamilton is great, no doubt. But any decent driver sitting in his seat (Perez, Hulkenburg, LeClerc, etc) would have been world champion too.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
George Russell getting into that car and not even knowing what the buttons on the steering wheel do, and still blasting the field away just showed me that it’s all the car. Hamilton is great, no doubt. But any decent driver sitting in his seat (Perez, Hulkenburg, LeClerc, etc) would have been world champion too.

Er Bottas has the same car? That was last year though. As I've said this weekend should have shut the 'it's the car' people the fuck up. Verstappen was in a Red Bull that was half a second a lap faster all weekend, fresh tires and DRS, and he still couldn't win the race over Hamilton. And also, if it's all the car, why can't Verstappen's team mate ever get close to Verstappen? I think there's a massive gulf in class between the top drivers and the rest. Also, George Russell was always a prodigy, which is why he is on the Mercedes scheme. He's REALLY fucking good.

Wolfman21

Er Bottas has the same car? That was last year though. As I've said this weekend should have shut the 'it's the car' people the fuck up. Verstappen was in a Red Bull that was half a second a lap faster all weekend, fresh tires and DRS, and he still couldn't win the race over Hamilton. And also, if it's all the car, why can't Verstappen's team mate ever get close to Verstappen? I think there's a massive gulf in class between the top drivers and the rest. Also, George Russell was always a prodigy, which is why he is on the Mercedes scheme. He's REALLY fucking good.

No race car driver has been one of the all time greats without driving the best race car week in and week out. Can be said across all types of motorsport. In NASCAR...Richard Petty...car was dominant. Earnhardt...dominant. Jimmie Johnson...dominant(though pts system changed and can be discussed ad nauseum). Same with F1. Hell, does Vettel win 4 championships without all the tricks Red Bull played during his time there? no. When you pair a great driver with a great car, you get great results. Hamilton is no doubt one of the best, if not the best drivers in the field. Could someone else win a championship with his car? Absolutely. Could they do it as often as he does? Who knows.

As for Bottas having the same car...come on...you know they use him as a moving chicane for Hamilton. Hell, he even had to say this offseason that he was going to have to be more selfish...and his reactions with Toto after yesterdays race prove hes not happy about his situation there. They used him to undercut Max just so Max couldn't undercut Lewis :laughing:. Other than that, Bottas isn't even on Lewis' level...not even close. I think anyone would agree with that statement. I'd love to see Russell in that seat, or see what would happen over a full season with Verstappen in that seat. But as long as Hamilton is running the #1 mercedes ride...they are going to kowtow to him...which is understandable. Hes the bell cow.

Last edited:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Honestly, some of the most impressive driving in F1 in the last decade was Alonso at Ferrari. It became obvious that he was singlehandedly dragging that car onto the podium, where it has no business being. That car and the entire team was a shitshow, yet he was still winning races and finishing 2nd in the points year after year. Could probably say the same of Vettel’s tenure there too. Vettel’s Ferrari tenure is far more impressive than his Red Bull stint.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
We not even gonna talk about Lewis driving Max off the track when Max tried to pass him. Nothing like junking up your rivals tires with marbles so he can't make a second attempt.

Wolfman21

Honestly, some of the most impressive driving in F1 in the last decade was Alonso at Ferrari. It became obvious that he was singlehandedly dragging that car onto the podium, where it has no business being. That car and the entire team was a shitshow, yet he was still winning races and finishing 2nd in the points year after year. Could probably say the same of Vettel’s tenure there too. Vettel’s Ferrari tenure is far more impressive than his Red Bull stint.

i freaking love Alonso. Part of me getting into F1 was going back and watching old races and old press conferences and stuff. I freaking love his personality. Also wish I watched more when Vettel was a force with Ferrari. Its obvious how much he liked wearing red when he started with them and how much the last year or two hurt him. Hes a shell of the personality he was 5 years ago right now.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Why can’t Bristol just get the turns back to the way they were before they introduced the variable banking. They fucked up the racing there to bad they had to resort to this dirt gimmick to drum up interest.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
i freaking love Alonso. Part of me getting into F1 was going back and watching old races and old press conferences and stuff. I freaking love his personality. Also wish I watched more when Vettel was a force with Ferrari. Its obvious how much he liked wearing red when he started with them and how much the last year or two hurt him. Hes a shell of the personality he was 5 years ago right now.
As the old timers say around here, Vettel is “warshed up”. He’s Jacques Villeneuve without the abrasiveness.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
One thing I don't get about F1 is how drivers sign with another team in the middle of a season and finish with their former team. Seems like such an odd dynamic.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Waking up at 8am tomorrow. Happy to see Merc not 1/2 so HAM will need to defend both Checo and MAX. I've read they'll both be on different compounds to start the race so it's not a unified strat he has to defend. Given Ferrari's issues I was surprised to see LeClerc at p4.

Wolfman21

Gasly with AlphaTauri is like a completely different Gasly than when he was with Red Bull. Also George Russell Top 12 in that Williams...dudes gonna be really good with Merc when his time comes. Really good

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Bottas is gone after this year right? He was getting passed by Russel in a Williams so.... also feel bad for Leclerc given he would have had p2 in the bag

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Rain on a narrow track like that was always going to cause mayhem. Verstappen started in 2nd gear, which is a ruse for the intermediates/wets. You'd think that Mercedes would have been all over that one. Lewis just had a fucking horrendous first half of the race. I think being done like that off the start got to him, but when he had nothing to lose in the last part of the race, went back to form. He and Verstappen are really getting under each others skins which is good for the rest of the season. Even if I wasn't a Hamilton fan, I would still hate that ugly frog faced jerk.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Max is easy to dislike, plus how the Red Bull team treats the second driver after Riccardo left makes me dislike them too. It's a self fulfilling prophecy at this point. I'm glad they finally brought in an established talent instead of grinding up their young guys in an almost impossible situation. In my random research (reading r/formula1) it seems Red Bull is a second half team usually meaning Gasly got the shitty part of the season before they switched to Albon. I wonder if Gasly would have found his footing if they hadn't changed drivers mid season.