• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SMALL BALLERS GON LOOK 2019-2020 ERRZZ

evil1

The craziness of this NBA offseason

giphy.gif

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
would you fucking believe me if i told you me and MILES drove into houston tonight?

YOU THINK THIS IS A COINCIDENCE???

maybe gonna bring the curse in person to the pressRUSSconference.

Welcome to the heat and humidity!

I knew you were somehow behind this.

I'm so glad Rockets management continue to make it super easy for me to not want to be a Rockets fan by filling their roster with mostly unbearable human beings.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
My hot take is I think Presti did great with this. I mean, they had a team that couldn't compete for a title and was leveraged to the hilt, and the worst thing you can be in the NBA is an 8th seed. They didn't get into messy fights with star players who wanted to leave, they're going to move Paul for even more assets.

They can let Billy Donovan coach this tank fest next season and then fire him, and hit a total reset with gobs of assets and hopefully some goodwill engendered with free agents that they'll do right by you.

If you're going to blow up a team I struggle to figure how to do it better.

Last edited:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Who will give up assets for Chris Paul? Unless Miami is dumb (their history says they are not, at least not this level) the thunder will likely need to sweeten a deal to get someone to take him.

GuyIncognito

Someone who thinks they're a top shelf PG away from contending I guess. It's not altogether clear to me why Houston would give up a bunch of assets to trade Paul for Westbrook but here we are.

evil1

I give Presti an "D-" for failing to turning a team with three MVPs into a perennial contender, but give an "A" for knowing how and when to blow it up and rebuild.

On a separate question, has Westbrook ever been on a team with an above average coach?

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Someone who thinks they're a top shelf PG away from contending I guess. It's not altogether clear to me why Houston would give up a bunch of assets to trade Paul for Westbrook but here we are.
Westbrook is 3-4 years younger and typically healthy. Paul is 34 and has nagging injuries.

I think it's a lateral move for Houston at best but that's my best guess

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I give Presti an "D-" for failing to turning a team with three MVPs into a perennial contender, but give an "A" for knowing how and when to blow it up and rebuild.

On a separate question, has Westbrook ever been on a team with an above average coach?
OKC was a perennial contender for a number of years though, their entire existence until the last couple years... Harden I feel like was out of his hands since Harden probably wanted his own team and/or the owners didn't wanna pony up

NML

It's not altogether clear to me why Houston would give up a bunch of assets to trade Paul for Westbrook

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A OKC fan not being sure why someone had to give up stuff to go from overpaid, 34 year old Chris Paul who’s under contract for three more season (for $44m at 37!) to Russell Westbrook is all I’ve ever needed

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

Because Chris Paul wasn’t any good last year and is due $120M over the next 3 years. That’s mostly why

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A OKC fan not being sure why someone had to give up stuff to go from overpaid, 34 year old Chris Paul who’s under contract for three more season (for $44m at 37!) to Russell Westbrook is all I’ve ever needed

This.

I guess with Presti allowing Westbrook to dictate where he went giving OKC less leverage than they normally would have means he fleeced Houston.

GuyIncognito

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

You don't think paying 34 year old Westbrook $47 million is overpaying him?

GuyIncognito

He's the same as Chris Paul? wat

I fucking hate Chris Paul and I love Westbrook. The Thunder are going to move Paul, the Rockets are going to pay Westbrook. The Rockets still aren't a championship team with this trade.

And he was never the "savior," whatever that means. They didn't need saving.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
IDK what "high hopes" means. You don't think they're doing a rebuild? You think they just decided they're more competitive with this roster than the one they blew up?

Point to where I said they aren’t doing a rebuild.

I said they’ll fuck it up no matter who they get because they already fucked up their previous situation in which they had a ridiculous amount of talent because they are and will forever be a sad sack franchise.

Aren’t you supposed to be a Houston fan now anyway? I thought you claimed you were for whoever got RUSS (who is now suddenly horribly overpaid)

GuyIncognito

Sure. That will be Miami's problem though. The Thunder went from non-competitive to non-competitive, got a massive contract off their books, and acquired a bunch more assets.

I'm a bit mystified why I'm supposed to be angry.

They should have gutted out another campaign hoping to squeak in at 8 and get blasted out of the 1st round again for what?

Reactions: bjc

GuyIncognito

Russ isn't horribly overpaid. At least not yet. But since he can't shoot it's not inconceivable that he's going to decline faster than most once he can't just out-athlete everybody.

Again: what were the Thunder going to get out of keeping him?

I don't get it.

GuyIncognito

RUSS-Gallinari-Adams is not the core of a championship caliber team in the West. So I don't see what OKC loses here.

NML

You’re the same guy who was fine with them trading Harden because they got to stay competitive - and that just staying in the playoffs and having a great player was enough. So you can see why the rest of us find it funny that all of a sudden “OKC wasn’t competitive before”

This is classic Guy doe. Your completely logical in every single aspect except the Thunder, where you are a classic homer.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I really don’t get why Miami would trade anything for Chris Paul. Why would they do that? They might be willing to take him off presti’s hands but I can’t see them paying OKC to do it.

If Presti gets them to pay him for Chris Paul then there is no arguing his status as Jerry West Jr.

GuyIncognito

You’re the same guy who was fine with them trading Harden because they got to stay competitive - and that just staying in the playoffs and having a great player was enough. So you can see why the rest of us find it funny that all of a sudden “OKC wasn’t competitive before”

This is classic Guy doe. Your completely logical in every single aspect except the Thunder, where you are a classic homer.

I was fine with them trading Harden because Harden didn't want to be there and they couldn't make him. And the whole "competitive" thing was never going to last forever.

There was no viable path to making this past year's team into a championship caliber team. So why you think the right move was to just piss tens of millions of dollars into the wind and maybe eek out an 8 seed is beyond me.

This is the right move at the right time. I don't think there can be any serious debate about this, nor does it seem to be OKC homers exclusively who think so.

There was no path to a championship the way that team was configured and given the other moves in the West.

You think they should have just beat Paul George over the head with his contract and made him play I guess, but even then they weren't a championship team. So they would have paid a lot more money, still not been competitive, and been in a worse position moving forward.

This isn't even a close call.

GuyIncognito

It's really fascinating how upset the anti-OKC people get when the OKC people aren't as upset as you want us to be.

But this is a particularly weird flex of that impulse because nobody can even articulate what I'm supposed to be mad about. They took a big shot with George and RUSS and it didn't pan out. Unless you think they should keep pissing good money after bad and force players to play when they don't want to, I'm not sure what your solution is other than doing exactly what Presti is doing.

NML

It's really fascinating how upset the anti-OKC people get when the OKC people aren't as upset as you want us to be.

But this is a particularly weird flex of that impulse because nobody can even articulate what I'm supposed to be mad about. They took a big shot with George and RUSS and it didn't pan out. Unless you think they should keep pissing good money after bad and force players to play when they don't want to, I'm not sure what your solution is other than doing exactly what Presti is doing.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about whether or not you’re upset. It’s just fascinating that you’ll couldn’t take RUSS’s dick far enough down ur throat, but suddenly they trade him for Chris Paul and ur surprised the Rockets had to give anything up