• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Media openly wonder "what's happened at Roush Racing?" Well, here's the drivers they lost over recent seasons:

Mark Martin
Jeff Burton
Kurt Busch
Matt Kenseth
David Ragan
Jamie McMurray
Joey Logano

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Throw in Jeff Gordon (lost him to Hendrick in 1992) and Kasey Kahne. He's going to lose Edwards more than likely. On the plus side, it'll open up a seat for Trevor Bayne. On the down side, Bayne would probably be better off had he stuck with Michael Waltrip.

And to be fair, Roush told Kurt Busch to hit the road after he had put up with too much of his shit. Getting arrested for drunk driving before Phoenix was the straw that broke the camel's back.

My thing is, if Biffle and Edwards both leave, where the hell are they going to go? Not a ton of great seats available after this year. Can't go to Petty, that's basically a Roush satellite team. Gibbs could do one more car maybe. Childress might, but Ty Dillon will be moving up to Cup in a year or two. Hendrick is full, as is Stewart. MWR maybe? I could see Edwards there.

Some of these older guys may end up having to do Nationwide before too long. With guys like Larson, the Dillons, and Chase Elliott, drivers that haven't done anything like Edwards, Biffle, Kahne, Newman and others are going to have to start looking over their shoulder.

Last edited:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
They really are. People on twitter are up in arms about how he shouldn't be in the race. Such anger

much-anger.png

Iron

It's great for PPR. Just the extra money by starting tomorrow's race will be a big boost for a team that has <10 people (if I recall correctly) in it's race shop.

gilstein21

Kurt Busch has a decent Indy 500 qualifying time so far. Still some runs to make, and if he stays in the top 9, he'll go for the pole tomorrow.

Iron

For the 4th straight year, the last 10 laps (final segment) of the All-Star race are led by 1 driver. This year it was Jamie McMurray.

Dogecar took 15th. For comparison, Danica was 20th in All-Star Race last year.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
They should do like short tracks and give the "leader" a huge bonus if he can start in the rear or in the middle of the pack and win the final segment.

Doesn't help that Charlotte doesn't lend itself to good close racing. I mean, there was some last night, but not for the lead and not when it counted.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Memorial Day weekend = biggest racing day on the calendar. Monaco in the morning, Indianapolis at noon, Charlotte at 6PM.

Bdub

Going to be a great day. I'm hoping Hamilton and Niko wreck each other and Masa wins. For the 500 I imagine there will be a huge wreck on a restart and Helio will win. For Charlotte, the only thing I know is I will probably be asleep when it finally ends.

gilstein21

really good run by Kurt at Indy today. Unfortunately, his car tonight is having some major issues, so he won't make the finish on the lead lap, if he makes the finish at all.

Iron

This probably means one, if not both of Biffle/Edwards will be gone after 2014. Both on contract years.

If they lose both, who replaces them? Hornish to the 99? Move Buescher up too soon? Reed way too soon?

RFR isn't looking too good if Edwards is gone. Stenhouse is 25th in points after being in the top 10 after 4 races after a bunch of below average races (no crashes/failures).

Iron

Jeff Gordon might have won tonight's 600 if the race didn't have a late caution under the same call that won him his first race.

Gordon pitted from 3rd, 2 seconds off the lead and took two tires and came out 2-3 seconds ahead of Kenseth/Johnson which could have would up being the race lead once pit stops cycled through (unless Edwards/Almirola/Menard(?)) could stretch it. But Alex Bowman blew a tire with 15 to go or so and that all went out the window.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Nice day for racing fans, LeMans in the am, Indy then the 600.

Helio damn near pulled it out. Also heard Kurt Busch really dedicated himself to both ends of the double, especially the Indy race.

Actually sat and watched most of the 600. Wife was shocked but I found the race to be intriguing. Gordon had that race won but just couldn't get going after that last caution.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
As soon as that caution flew, he was dead in the water. Horrible decision not to pit. It's one thing when you have 2 tires and a 5 second lead. It's another when you have 2 tires and no lead. Knaus proves again why he's the best crew chief in the game.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Gordon has mentioned retirement if he continues to have back pain like he did at Charlotte. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him win the title and quit on the spot. At least he would leave with his life and health.

Iron

DW may have accidentally given away that Biffle is headed to MWR next year in today's pre-race.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Poor Biff. No one should agree, at this point in the season, to race for that shit show of an organization.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Roush probably gave that away when he promoted Trevor Bayne. Still a 3 car team, and if Edwards leaves he'll have another seat open. Wonder if Edwards could take his sponsors with him. I imagine he can, given his "on screen" persona.

Biffle's problem is that he's getting old. He's good for maybe 1 win a year, if that. He's what...44, 45 now? He ain't Handsome Harry.

gilstein21

if Gordon does retire at the end of the season, is it too early to move Chase Elliott into the car? If so, who would get that seat?

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I don't think it's too early. Kid can hang with Ky Busch in the Nationwide series, which nobody else (sans Kyle Larson) can do. I know Dale Jr. is hesitant to move him up, but if some clown like Roush comes along and offers him a Cup ride, how could he turn it down?

Iron

It's interesting on Gordon. Either people think he is done after this year or he will go another 3-5 years.

gilstein21

depends on two factors probably: 1) if he wins the championship and 2) how bad does his back get. If he wins, I think he's done. His back held up ok since his first real flare up with it, but if it gets worse as the season goes on he may hang it up.

Iron

CBSSN will air 3 ARCA races starting June 21 at Elko Speedway and 4 World of Outlaws races starting Wednesday. No clue on live/tape delay or who will be announcing for CBS.

ARCA races on CBS: June 21 - Elko Speedway (MN), July 6 - Winchester (IN) and August 24 - Madison (WI).

Wish they would have picked up one of the fairgrounds races (dirt), but oh well.

Wolfman21

I don't think it's too early. Kid can hang with Ky Busch in the Nationwide series, which nobody else (sans Kyle Larson) can do. I know Dale Jr. is hesitant to move him up, but if some clown like Roush comes along and offers him a Cup ride, how could he turn it down?

Easily. Hendrick has signed the kid to a developmental deal. Chase has been driving Hendrick equipment for years. Hes friends with all of the Hendrick drivers. The Elliott family understands that there is no need to rush an 18(would be 19) year old kid to Sprint Cup. He'll do 2 years in Nationwide with a couple Sprint Cup races sprinkled in next year and then either hop in the 5 or 24 car(I hope they're able to buy the 9 from Petty) in 2016 as a 20 year old rookie. Kahne's contract runs out after the 2015 season opening up a spot or Gordon could retire. The Elliotts aren't stupid. Why would he leave Hendrick Motorsports, the most dominant team in NASCAR, to go race for Roush...who has been floundering for years?

The difference between Elliott and Keselowski is that Keselowski was already 25 years old when he was running for JR Motorsports in Nationwide. He HAD to get to Sprint Cup no matter what team. Chase will be, at the very least, 6 years younger when he makes his sprint cup debut.

Last edited:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I think Roush is a better salesman than a businessman. Plus, $$$$ talks. I'm sure Ford would love to have a young Elliott behind the wheel again.

Wolfman21

I'm sure Ford would love it. I think the Elliotts are smart enough to know that putting Chase in the best equipment with the best owner in NASCAR is the best idea for the longevity of his career. It would be dumb for them to put him in Roush equipment just so he could be in Sprint Cup one year earlier...especially since Hendrick has done so much for them over the past few years.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Wonder how much time the Kasey Kahne experiment has left? 1 win a season and ~15th in the points doesn't cut the mustard.

Wolfman21

Everyone keeps saying that Chase Elliott will be in the 24...but I think he will be in the 5(hopefully will be changed to 9) and here are the reasons:

1. Jeff Gordon still has a few years left in him(unless his back REALLY starts acting up). He has proven this year that he still has it to run up front.
2. Kasey Kahne has been a disappointment with Hendrick. He was much more successful running the dodges for Evernham. Has he even cracked the Top 10 in points at the end of a season yet? This leads me to...
3. Kasey's contract runs out after the 2015 season. Dale Jr. said that Chase Elliott is on the 2 year plan in Nationwide with a couple of races in 2015 in sprint cup. What year would that put him starting full time for Hendrick in sprint cup? 2016.

My GUESS? Chase will run the #9 NAPA Camaro again full time in Nationwide next season. You'll prolly see him in a #94 Hendrick built car in about 5 Sprint Cup races as well. If Kasey Kahne were to have another "meh" season next year...I believe he will be shown the door and Chase Elliott will be piloting your #5(or #9 or #94) ride for the forseeable future.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Sounds like the plan. What's Ford going to do if they lose Edwards? No other high-profile names available this year. Also, wonder if Dale Jr. will ever take JR Motorsports to the Cup series. Maybe when he retires?

I can't say how much I'd love to see Gordon win another title. It'd completely make up for the years of watching Vanilla Johnson win with the best cars in the field.

Wolfman21

Ford is in trouble big time. Roush has become a joke and RPM is probably going to be moving to Toyotas. Penske is still running very strong with Fords which shows that it can be done. A 3 team Penske shop with Carl Edwards/Keselowski/Logano would be a hell of a squad and I hope it happens.

I'd love to see JRM make a move up to Sprint Cup. I could see him hiring a driver and having a car in sprint cup after he retires, definitely.

I'd love to see Gordon win another title too. I used to not like him, but he has grown on me.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
LOL. Those are the reports, but it's going to be hard to see Keselowski and Edwards on the same team after how big an asshole Edwards was to Brad back in 2010.

Edwards was also a douche to Kenseth on a few occasions. I thought a lot less of him after that. If you act like an assclown in public, then that's one thing. When you're this squeaky-clean pitchman one second, and then a horrible cockbag the next, GTFO with that shit:

Last edited:

Wolfman21

Edwards is as sleasy of a salesman as there is, in my belief. He sells his product, which is him as this likeable, funny, quirky guy who does backflips. But in reality, hes a douche.

I don't like Keselowski either though, so they can continue to wreck each other for all I care.

The thing is, I hope they don't change. NASCAR needs their personalities. Not everyone can/should be Jimmie Johnson.

Iron

Apparently Iowa will obtain some of Daytona's old frontstretch grandstands while Phoenix is getting the superstretch stands. Iowa really doesn't hold enough to get a Cup race, so if true, this might be a push to get a Cup date there in the next 2-3 years.

gilstein21

I believe Chase will end up in the 5 car seat as well. I was just saying what if Gordon retires at the end of this season; what happens then?