• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2109 LAME

MSUFanatic

Ty Lue should send his ring to LeBron and expunge his name from the record books as a coach who has an NBA title.

Reactions: bjc

NML

Random players who I’ve enjoyed watching over the first couple weeks

Trae Young: this one surprises me, because I hated his game in college the couple times I saw. But what I see now is how great his playmaking is. I think he’s generally considered a chucker, but I’d argue his playmaking is the better attribute than his shooting. He’s also excellent at shooting off the dribble, which isn’t common for rookies. Unfortunately his size is always going to be an issue (he’s smaller with shorter arms than Curry, and not as good of a shooter), but I think he could be a + player, which I didn’t think coming out of college.

Caris LeVert - I didn’t know this dude existed before last week. But he can ball. I didn’t see them play the Pels, but that seems like the only bad game he’s had. He got matched up with Iggy and Draymong a bunch and had a great game. No one on the Nets plays defense but it seems like he’s got the skills if he was on a better team.

Joe Ingles: his usage is up a bunch and I have no idea why, but it’s awesome to watch. He’s obviously not athletic, but they keep letting him run the PnR and it’s normally an open shot or a turnover. He’s not a good enough passer to run the offense so much, but he’s got such a great shot. Why is Mitchell not seeing more of the ball?

MSUFanatic

Trae Young: this one surprises me, because I hated his game in college the couple times I saw. But what I see now is how great his playmaking is. I think he’s generally considered a chucker, but I’d argue his playmaking is the better attribute than his shooting. He’s also excellent at shooting off the dribble, which isn’t common for rookies. Unfortunately his size is always going to be an issue (he’s smaller with shorter arms than Curry, and not as good of a shooter), but I think he could be a + player, which I didn’t think coming out of college.

Caris LeVert - I didn’t know this dude existed before last week. But he can ball. I didn’t see them play the Pels, but that seems like the only bad game he’s had. He got matched up with Iggy and Draymong a bunch and had a great game. No one on the Nets plays defense but it seems like he’s got the skills if he was on a better team.

Joe Ingles: his usage is up a bunch and I have no idea why, but it’s awesome to watch. He’s obviously not athletic, but they keep letting him run the PnR and it’s normally an open shot or a turnover. He’s not a good enough passer to run the offense so much, but he’s got such a great shot. Why is Mitchell not seeing more of the ball?

Good list. Joe Ingles looks like a dude who you wouldn't pick to run in your YMCA pick up game, but then he just goes and balls out.

Reactions: NML

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison

leVert was killing the pels in PnR a few times

i too hadnt heard of him before but dude can play

Reactions: NML

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

ryCf5BD.png

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
no Giannis or Kawhi, that Raptors/Bucks game don’t look any fun to watch now.

At least I get to watch Demar put me to sleep with that 30/8/10 type of line

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Timberwolves so trash lol

Javale McGee destroying them on O and D. Lebron didn’t score 1 point the entire 1st quarter and the Wolves are only up 4 :laughing:

NML

Klay just broke the record for most 3’s in a game

With 5 minutes left in the third

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Sorry, but if you weren't alive to watch it, it is hard to take your opinion with anything other than a grain assault.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Not old enough to have watched the NBA in the early and mid to late 80's. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

Reel

Community Liaison
So, is your position that you had to see it live/tape delay in order to grasp how the game was played in that era? Or are you counting rebroadcasts on nbatv/espn classic?

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Yes you had to see it live and live through it. How can you judge eras and interest in the game just from watching sterile 30 year old youtube vidyas?

I've lived through both and there is no way that today's NBA game is better than it was then.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
From 83-96 or so there is just no comparison. Look at the players that were in that stretch and look at the players whose careers overlapped.

The players were better, the game was better and there was actual parity. Even when the Bulls were running a train on people, it wasn't a foregone conclusion like it is today.

I know I am biased because I was a kid and that's what I grew up watching so I fully acknowledge that, but like I said, I don't see how someone who wasn't there to see it can make a fair judgment on it.

Reel

Community Liaison
i was about to get real deep in the weeds with this convo b/c i think there are several layers that must be considered when trying to compare eras, as far as a fan perspective, but i get what you're saying

NML

there was actual parity

From 1984 to 2005 - 21 years - a total of six teams won the title

Seven have won in the past 13 seasons (four different teams in the past six years)

I don’t think that argument holds up

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Well you had 2 teams responsible for 12 titles of the 21 so... I mean damn.

There were also the Celtics, Pistons, Rockets and Spurs pumping out damn good teams in that stretch. Like I said, I am open to debate, but I just don't see how people are so quick to say this is the best era. Not to me to me.

NML

I don’t necessarily think this era is better. I just don’t think “parity” holds water as to why this era sucks

There’s been a pretty steady stream of about three GOATs in each generation.

Starting mid 80’s: MJ, Bird, Magic (Hakeem too)

Late 90’s: Kobe, Shaq, Duncan

Modern Day: LeBron, Curry, Durant

evil1

I don’t necessarily think this era is better. I just don’t think “parity” holds water as to why this era sucks

There’s been a pretty steady stream of about three GOATs in each generation.

Starting mid 80’s: MJ, Bird, Magic (Hakeem too)

Late 90’s: Kobe, Shaq, Duncan

Modern Day: LeBron, Curry, Durant
The 80's also had Karl Malone and Charles Barkley (maybe the 2nd and 3rd greatest PFs of all time) as well as Isiah Thomas and John Stockton (maybe the 4th and 5th greatest PGs of all time)