• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2109 LAME

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
But why subject over half of your salary to California's 12.3% state income taxes by going to LA. If money can be made from anywhere, stay in Louisianastan and pay 6% in state income tax or go to a team in Texas or Florida where there is no state income tax.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Can y’all please tell us more about why people shouldn’t come to CA? It fuels me!

You don’t think there’s more than enough additional opportunity in CA to make up the difference in income lost to additional taxation?

Hit me up in February when we have our annual snowblowing thread. I love those

NML

Yeah I’m a little amused that y’all are like “LA (the city) is overrated.”

One of my favorite bets during the NBA season is an away team in LA that had the night before off. You think these guys sit in their homes for 8 months a year? Nah b

evil1

I think AD simply does not want to wait any longer to be a playoff contender. Zion (like most star rookies) is still likely 2-3 years away from being a great player in the NBA.

While people are currently enjoying dancing on LeBron's corpse, he still averaged 27 pts, 8 rebs, and 8 assists last year. Additionally, one of the effects of the Lakers surrounding LeBron with bad players last season is that they would still have a max slot even if they traded for AD now. If they make the trade, that would at least be enough to attract a player like Kemba Walker or Jimmy Butler.

So the attraction from a basketball standpoint would be LeBron + AD + another all star.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Reel talk doe, have you ever been to LA, Malibu, the Hollywood Hills?

It's where millionaires from all over to world choose to live for a reason. New Orleans is a dirty ass city with literal shit and vomit in the gutters of the main tourist attraction of Bourbon St. LA has a skid row too, but it is not on the Hollywood Walk of Fame outside the Chinese Theater.
this is a perspective, but let's not act like he in the old magnolia projects either, but your point is noted

Reel

Community Liaison
I think AD simply does not want to wait any longer to be a playoff contender. Zion (like most star rookies) is still likely 2-3 years away from being a great player in the NBA.

While people are currently enjoying dancing on LeBron's corpse, he still averaged 27 pts, 8 rebs, and 8 assists last year. Additionally, one of the effects of the Lakers surrounding LeBron with bad players last season is that they would still have a max slot even if they traded for AD now. If they make the trade, that would at least be enough to attract a player like Kemba Walker or Jimmy Butler.

So the attraction from a basketball standpoint would be LeBron + AD + another all star.
i think Kemba is taking the bag. He's not going to get another payday like this in his career imo

Reel

Community Liaison

One of my favorite bets during the NBA season is an away team in LA that had the night before off. You think these guys sit in their homes for 8 months a year? Nah b
I was mainly talking from a purely basketball perspective, but your point is noted

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I mean you can't deny if you're wealthy and famous there's more opportunity in LA or NYC than fucking New Orleans or Minneapolis. Those cities are rich people playgrounds.

Add to that playing with Lejuan and it's hard to pass up for AD, imo.

Reel

Community Liaison
I mean you can't deny if you're wealthy and famous there's more opportunity in LA or NYC than fucking New Orleans or Minneapolis. Those cities are rich people playgrounds
i dont want to get caught up in semantics, but i believe money can be made anywhere, and if he just wants to live in LA, im all for that, but i think with someone with his profile, his lack of opportunities outside of basketball arent b/c he was in NOLA.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

I'm a little unclear on who you are betting on in that situation?

evil1

i dont want to get caught up in semantics, but i believe money can be made anywhere, and if he just wants to live in LA, im all for that, but i think with someone with his profile, his lack of opportunities outside of basketball arent b/c he was in NOLA.
Star players can make as much money off the court (endorsements, etc) as they can with their NBA salaries. While a certain amount of money can be made regardless where a player plays, I am going to go out on a limb and say there is much more cash to be made if you are a star player in one of the top two media markets.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
When you play in LOs Angeles you can easily make it to auditions for motion picture roles on ur days off. We aren’t talking cameos. I thin ad has a passion for acting and wants to shift to that as a profession.

NML

Even when their best player was Lonzo¿

You taking Lakers and the points right?

The Erz on Sunday at home vs a team with two days off win 60% of the time and the ROI is 18%

That is since 2005, so it’s not exactly a small sample size. They also, somewhat famously, beat (nay, destroyed) the 73 win warriors on that same situation when the Erz won 17 games all season.

It applies to the Clippers too, but I don’t have numbers for that handy. I mostly just play it as a line teaser - if the line is slightly off but maybe not to the point I’d consider it profitable, I’ll play it anyways.

Clippers were one of my most profitable teams this year (probably second to the Nets), but mostly because everyone underrated them all season long.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
i would like to have a serious convo w/o any schticks or bias

but I'm seriously wondering what in the hell is AD thinking? I've seen several reports that Rich Paul has told all the other teams sans LA that AD would be a one year rental and whatever you give up for him is gonna be on you when he leaves for LA.

From a purely basketball pov, what in the hell does LA have that makes them so attractive? The pelicans got the basketball gods to favor them again for the 2nd time in franchise history with the no. 1 pick. Will Zion make an immediate impact day one? IDK, but am excited about his potential moving forward. I'm more looking forward to the possible FA Griff will be able to bring in had AD decided to play out this last year.

They have completely reshaped the front office which had been pretty embarrassing by NBA front office standards. Made serious financial investments in staff and facilities/amenities and they can still offer AD the most money.

He wants to play with an aged Lejuan and whoever else they can fill the roster out with. How is that anymore appealing than where he currently is?
If they sign another FA that works (Kemba?), AD-LBJ-FA + random filler is a contender in the West. That is assuming LBJ won't fall off a cliff. I don't exactly know how the spacing would work but LBJ is so damn smart he'll figure it out.

IF the Pellies can get #4, Lonzo, Ingram then flip #4 (and/or Lonzo + salary) for an All-Starish player PLUS sign a good FA, they actually could be good too. Jrue is as good as any non-All-Star and if Zion is what people make him out to be + 2 other good players with a clean cap, they're in a gr8 position the next couple of years.

The NBA fixing the lottery to help them out for losing AD saved the franchise.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
He can make money anywhere, it's just more enjoyable to spend it in LA was my point

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
i would like to have a serious convo w/o any schticks or bias

but I'm seriously wondering what in the hell is AD thinking? I've seen several reports that Rich Paul has told all the other teams sans LA that AD would be a one year rental and whatever you give up for him is gonna be on you when he leaves for LA.

From a purely basketball pov, what in the hell does LA have that makes them so attractive? The pelicans got the basketball gods to favor them again for the 2nd time in franchise history with the no. 1 pick. Will Zion make an immediate impact day one? IDK, but am excited about his potential moving forward. I'm more looking forward to the possible FA Griff will be able to bring in had AD decided to play out this last year.

They have completely reshaped the front office which had been pretty embarrassing by NBA front office standards. Made serious financial investments in staff and facilities/amenities and they can still offer AD the most money.

He wants to play with an aged Lejuan and whoever else they can fill the roster out with. How is that anymore appealing than where he currently is?

I don’t think it’s about the basketball, it’s about the LA (or NY) lifestyle.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Reel talk doe, have you ever been to LA, Malibu, the Hollywood Hills?

It's where millionaires from all over to world choose to live for a reason. New Orleans is a dirty ass city with literal shit and vomit in the gutters of the main tourist attraction of Bourbon St. LA has a skid row too, but it is not on the Hollywood Walk of Fame outside the Chinese Theater.

Generally agree but Hollywood Blvd is sober Bourbon Street. Plenty of griminess in that particular area.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I don’t think it’s about the basketball, it’s about the LA (or NY) lifestyle.
I think it's more of a LBJ + Rich Paul power move.

What big FAs have the Lakers/Clippers/Knicks/Nets have signed over the last 20 years? LeBron and....?

I just don't think LA/NY is that huge of a factor. If it was, the teams in those markets would have gotten big free agents.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
SUNS Legend Amare Stoudemire signed with the Knicks, as long as you avoid his numbers with the Knicks I'd say he counts.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I think this toronto team is the worst team to ever make it to an NBA finals game 7. Such a not ready for prime time bunch.

CJ_24

I don't think Golden State can stop Toronto. The Raptors can get any shot they want; or at least it seems like it.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Frank Von Flute is the only Raptor with any moxey at this point. Whilst 10 warriors have superhuman moxey at this point. ( I don't county the two who would be out there if thur GM wasn't such a pussy).