• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2109 LAME

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Yeah real average night for Lillard putting up 50 points and shooting 56% from three against one of the best defenders in the league

That’s a box score/highlights take if I ever saw one

*searches my post to see where I called his night "average"*

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
He was awesome last night. But playing for that shot when they had a bunch of time left on the clock? Dumb, dumb, dumb. It was an awful shot to pull up from 36 feet against one of the best defenders in the league.

-YTC

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
How can we blame Matthew Millard’s 2nd cousin for taking a long distance three while tied? It’s all he sees from the college game during the ten days a year the college game is relevant. He learned it from watching you.

Soonerfan09

QONVIyz.gif
Yeah, it would have been so much better if they played the Warriors, Nuggets, or Rockets... :rolleyes:

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
He barely shot over 50%. Safe to say he wasn't "on fire."

George was the one who actually looked to be on fire. The difference is that Lillard had a teammate he could count on to actually score when it was needed.

-YTC
He shot 8-12 over the series from that distance and around 40% over the course of the season. I won't go as far to say it was a good shot but for Lillard it isn't a bad shot

evil1

It is similar to Wardell Curry Jr. Shots that are ridiculous and impossible for most everyone else are normal shots for them. It is amazing.

However, I roll my eyes at people essentially saying how OKC's recent playoff shortcomings have doomed Westbrook's career and legacy. For example, they note that Westbrook is only 4-15 over his last 19 playoff games has been bounced out of the first round again. True, but that also describes Damian Lillard from 2015-2018 (4-15 in playoff games and swept in the first round twice). Dame has rebounded nicely from that rough patch with the Trailblazers. I will go ahead and buy Westbrook redemption stock for the 2020 playoffs.

CJ_24

He was awesome last night. But playing for that shot when they had a bunch of time left on the clock? Dumb, dumb, dumb. It was an awful shot to pull up from 36 feet against one of the best defenders in the league.

-YTC

Counter take: They wanted to take the last shot, and shooting from 36 feet is the most open look Mr. Lillard would get precisely because Mr. George guarded him. If he moves any closer to the basket, Mr. George is in his grill. From 36, Mr. George didn't face up on him, which gave him enough space for, essentially, an open look. It's not a good shot, but in the CURRY ERA where every guard practices that shot more often than is reasonable, it's not a bad shot, and it's likely a shot that Mr. Lillard takes every day.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Counter take: They wanted to take the last shot, and shooting from 36 feet is the most open look Mr. Lillard would get precisely because Mr. George guarded him. If he moves any closer to the basket, Mr. George is in his grill. From 36, Mr. George didn't face up on him, which gave him enough space for, essentially, an open look. It's not a good shot, but in the CURRY ERA where every guard practices that shot more often than is reasonable, it's not a bad shot, and it's likely a shot that Mr. Lillard takes every day.

If you think that was "essentially an open look" when a 6'9" defender is contesting a shot from 36 feet away, while having to side step in order to create a sliver of space, then I don't know what to tell you.

It was awesome, and Dame was cold blooded for that one. But it was super dumb.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
He shot 8-12 over the series from that distance and around 40% over the course of the season. I won't go as far to say it was a good shot but for Lillard it isn't a bad shot

He was 2-6 in the second half from 3 point range before that shot. It was an awful shot that went in.

-YTC

NML

Stop being such an old

1 - isolation when the clocks running down gets a ton of hate, but it’s statistically the right decision because when you run a set, the value in the set is that you can create a good look at some point. But with the last shot, that’s not what you want - because you may give the other team a chance to win it before OT if you get the look too early

2 - the game has just changed, and for guys like Dame and Steph, that distance is a shot in their toolbox. I posted it early, but he was 8 for 12 in the series from 30+ feet. SSS and all, but what more can you ask for than a shot he hits 67% of the time?

3 - I thought Dame brought up a good point in the post game presser. He doesn’t have the size advantage over PG, so taking him inside probably isn’t the right decision. Plus, if you get contact, that is such a huge call that the ref may not want to make.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
My boss took me to the Rockets-Jazz game last night. We were 7 rows back behind the basket on the Rockets bench side of the floor. Really good tickets. Pretty good game (despite all the Yahoos who seemed to think the refs were against the Rockets on EVERY SINGLE CALL). And my team had a shot at the end but went cold. My boss paid for the tickets, parking, and my dinner (I'm covering for someone who's out and didn't get lunch yesterday). Pretty good night for free.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Stop being such an old

1 - isolation when the clocks running down gets a ton of hate, but it’s statistically the right decision because when you run a set, the value in the set is that you can create a good look at some point. But with the last shot, that’s not what you want - because you may give the other team a chance to win it before OT if you get the look too early

2 - the game has just changed, and for guys like Dame and Steph, that distance is a shot in their toolbox. I posted it early, but he was 8 for 12 in the series from 30+ feet. SSS and all, but what more can you ask for than a shot he hits 67% of the time?

3 - I thought Dame brought up a good point in the post game presser. He doesn’t have the size advantage over PG, so taking him inside probably isn’t the right decision. Plus, if you get contact, that is such a huge call that the ref may not want to make.

Stop being such a prisoner of the moment. The shot selection sucked, the "set" sucked, and it worked anyway. It happens.

-YTC

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Nah, it wasn't a bad shot. I was watching the game live and with the kind of zone he was in, when he took the shot, my thought was "this guy's got balls", not "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" And then he made it and I realized that Lillard is ascending and I don't think anybody wants any part of that motherfucker going forward this postseason. He's probably gonna butcher ma'Nuggz (if they advance)

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Round two will be nice. If Spurs bounce nuggets we might get swept lol. D White can’t guard Lillard and CJ at the same time. We don’t have the perimeter players to face that backcourt lol

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
You guys are morons.

Loved watching it happen, as I was thrilled to see RUSS and the thudner bounced. I was as amped as anyone when it went in. Still an awful decision.

-YTC

MSUFanatic

What kind of coach would be like yea let's look for a step back 3 from 37 feet? The shot's fine in a vacuum (tie game if you miss play OT) and even better since it went in, but not something you draw up and plan for. I'd love to see a coach down by three and say hey Lillard let's run a play to get you a step back 37 footer with one of the better defender's on you.

FYI here's Lillard's percentage for the year on those long balls.

https://stats.nba.com/player/203081/shooting/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

1556289766053.png

It's silly for PG13 to say what he did because he looks like psalt face, but he's not wrong.

NML

I’d love to see a coach that tried to take the ball out of the hands of 47-points-Lillard

Again - what’s option B? Have him take PG inside? If he’s five feet closer, he never gets that much space

Reactions: bjc

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I’d love to see a coach that tried to take the ball out of the hands of 47-points-Lillard

Again - what’s option B? Have him take PG inside? If he’s five feet closer, he never gets that much space

If you are a coach with no other option than to have your guy throw up a 37 footer with a 6'9" incredible defender with a 7 foot wingspan, while side stepping, then you probably shouldn't be coaching.

Just look at the shot McCollum got with a minute to go. He had no problem getting a much better look than what Lillard did with George guarding him.

There's nothing KILLJOY about it at all. It was an incredible shot at the end of an incredible game that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's totally possible to be entertained by bad basketball, and that's what that last shot was.

-YTC

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
It's not so much that it's a great shot selection, but Lillard is on a level right now where you have to trust his judgment. I'm positive he would not have taken that shot if he was 0/11 from 3 for the game or something like that.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Will give the Lillard /hot judgment argument some leeway. I’m fine with that.

But a 19 year old 6’0” point guard just pounding the ball into the hardwood for 28 seconds then jacking that shot up whilste hoping to impress several car rental franchise owners? Never!

NML

If you are a coach with no other option than to have your guy throw up a 37 footer with a 6'9" incredible defender with a 7 foot wingspan, while side stepping, then you probably shouldn't be coaching.

If Stotts takes the ball out of his hands, he’s not the coach anymore. That’s just the reality of the game.

Like Wuf said, you have to trust in Dame to get the shot he wants. That’s the one he wanted - and clearly for good reason

The CJ shot wasn’t even that much better haha. George doesn’t defend it as well but it’s still a deep, contested two

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
If Stotts takes the ball out of his hands, he’s not the coach anymore. That’s just the reality of the game.

Like Wuf said, you have to trust in Dame to get the shot he wants. That’s the one he wanted - and clearly for good reason

The CJ shot wasn’t even that much better haha. George doesn’t defend it as well but it’s still a deep, contested two
ITT people don’t understand basketball. And I’m not talking about NML here lol

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I see both sides of this convo

Dame could've tried to go to the paint and run the risk of what happened to Westbrook on the previous play then its OT

OR

He could try to kill OKC and show why he was the better player in the matchup

NML

I asked it before but what’s the better choice here? If ur answer is “CJ pull up from 22 feet with PG’s hand in his face on a night he was 8-19 and 1-7 from deep” then I’m not sure what to tell you

Maybe it gets lost because of the follow through and quick reaction by George, but Dame has a TON of space to get the shot off (relatively speaking)

MSUFanatic

I asked it before but what’s the better choice here? If ur answer is “CJ pull up from 22 feet with PG’s hand in his face on a night he was 8-19 and 1-7 from deep” then I’m not sure what to tell you

Maybe it gets lost because of the follow through and quick reaction by George, but Dame has a TON of space to get the shot off (relatively speaking)

To me still going to the basket is the better option. You have a chance to get fouled, a chance to kick the ball, or a chance to step back from a closer distance.

Now if Lillard thinks there is no chance he's getting to the basket then yea the shot was the best shot in the scenario, which is what I said at the beginning. That still doesn't mean overall the shot quality is good I think the statistics prove that 37' shots aren't quality looks due to the lack of attempts. If they are quality shot attempts we would see the league attempting them a sizeable margin which just isn't the case.

James Harden
Damian Lillard
Steph Curry
Kevin Durant
Klay Thompson
Kyrie Irving
Kyle Korver
Paul George
Devin Booker
J.J. Redick
Kemba Walker
C.J. McCollum

All attempted only 13 FGAs from 35' - 39' all regular season. If these types of shots were good looks shouldn't we see a lot more attempts?

Brick

yall stats dudes trippin. we all have seen or participated in games, or maybe even been the person where a hot hand is going and pretty much everything seems to be going in. he had hit 9 threes in the game. he was feeling it. when you are that hot, it doesn't really matter where the shot comes from. basketball is a super mental game, especially when it comes to shooting.

if you are a dope who either hasn't played or was never a good shooter, youll never understand.

MSUFanatic

yall stats dudes trippin. we all have seen or participated in games, or maybe even been the person where a hot hand is going and pretty much everything seems to be going in. he had hit 9 threes in the game. he was feeling it. when you are that hot, it doesn't really matter where the shot comes from. basketball is a super mental game, especially when it comes to shooting.

if you are a dope who either hasn't played or was never a good shooter, youll never understand.

The hot hand affect is vastly overrated (2.5% uptick) and is dictated a lot by whether or not the difficulty of the next shots are similar to the difficulty of the first shots. There was a pretty solid Harvard paper detailing this affect.

http://www.sloansportsconference.co.../02/2014_SSAC_The-Hot-Hand-A-New-Approach.pdf

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Here is why it would have been dumb to set a screen, run a set, drive, etc.... Why on earth would you invite more defenders to converge on Dame? You can't compare it to a regular season/middle part of the game because it is defended totally differently.

The other part of the equation (again with more defenders coming into play) is Dame isn't very tall. He can't just shoot over or outmuscle guys.

It was 100% the "right" "good" whatever word you want to use shot.