• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018-2019 Prem / Farewell Stoke Threade - who ate all the pies?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
It's utterly absurd that his last two transfers have been for £50 million and £40 million. People are obviously on LSD when scouting him.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
No way. David Luiz makes any team a champion!

Welcome home, curly prince.

David-Luiz-Chelsea-Champions-League.png

chibob

Now that I see Chelsea fans saying he is awful, im convinced he is brilliant and will be a huge success.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Isn't there some thought that Luiz might be slotted into a libero role as a 3rd center back? That would make a lot more sense than bringing him back to partner with Cahill or Terry. At least if you have two other CBs covering, Luiz's crazy won't leave them as exposed.

Last edited:

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Isn't there some though that Luiz might be slotted into a libero role as a 3rd center back? That would make a lot more sense than bringing him back to partner with Cahill or Terry. At least if you have two other CBs covering, Luiz's crazy won't leave them as exposed.

Remains to be seen how Conte will deploy him.

For one, JT can't have THAT long left. So it could be a Cahill, Luiz, Zouma rotation going forward.

But for this season, he might cycle through with Matic and Kante. Or hell, put all 3 of them out there when Chelsea go to Old Trafford and the Etihad, and see if they can gang rape Ibra, Rooney, Aguero, et al.

chibob

Zoumas off to the glue factory.

I think Marcos Alonso, Cahill and Sideshow Bob are your future for now.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Please let Conte deploy Luiz anywhere and all the time. Doesn't matter if he's in a three or four, because he'll still shit the bed at some point in every game. Not only is he not very good at football, but he's also hilarious to watch.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
This is a brilliant interview. I always knew Kroenke was the rot at the top. Our transfers have been fundamentally governed by his implementation of the moneyball system. There are so many reasons why it doesn't work in soccer, but the proof is in the fact that our transfer dealings became worse (bar a couple of exceptions) since he became owner.

Kroenke is the king cunt. He's a fucking penny pincher who doesn't understand the workings of the individual sports clubs that he owns, and bleeds everything into a vision of his own mediocrity. He never created his own fortune, he married it.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
There is really no reason to play moneyball if you don't have extremely limited funds. Oakland played moneyball because their stadium and fanbase were the equivalent of a trailer park and its denizens.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't have the time to watch that, but assuming moneyball means using advanced stats to win games, none of Kroenke's other teams use it. The Avs used to actively ignore any sort of advanced stat.

If it means being cheap, then yeah, all of his teams have done that.

chibob

There is really no reason to play moneyball if you don't have extremely limited funds. Oakland played moneyball because their stadium and fanbase were the equivalent of a trailer park and its denizens.

I think it just doesnt work with football.

I mean, whats your quantifier? Doesnt concede goals? Scores goals? Lots of assists?

With moneyball (the film) they kept going on about getting on base - was that what they actually used in real life? I just cant think of something similar in football, because any tangible quality which would be desirable would instantly make a player expensive.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don't have the time to watch that, but assuming moneyball means using advanced stats to win games, none of Kroenke's other teams use it. The Avs used to actively ignore any sort of advanced stat.

If it means being cheap, then yeah, all of his teams have done that.

I would be surprised as hell if Kroenke doesn't use statistics for his other clubs. He bought the world's largest stats company, based in Chicago called statsdna, according to Jon Smith. It's a really good interview if you get the time.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think it just doesnt work with football.

I mean, whats your quantifier? Doesnt concede goals? Scores goals? Lots of assists?

With moneyball (the film) they kept going on about getting on base - was that what they actually used in real life? I just cant think of something similar in football, because any tangible quality which would be desirable would instantly make a player expensive.

I don't think it works at all. Oakland As never won anything. That's all you need to know.

chibob

Maybe this is the topic to bring @Milo out of the grave to talk about short passing % and post 12 minute videos of Lucas kicking it around his own half.

Or Paul Scholes hitting 30 yard passes.

Who am i kidding? I love watching that

chibob

I don't think it works at all. Oakland As never won anything. That's all you need to know.

But they did, didnt they? They won their league but lost the play offs? Also didnt they break a record for wins?

I may do a FM dynasty based on money ball and see where I get to.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
But they did, didnt they? They won their league but lost the play offs? Also didnt they break a record for wins?

I may do a FM dynasty based on money ball and see where I get to.

Didn't win a World Series, which means they didn't win anything.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I would be surprised as hell if Kroenke doesn't use statistics for his other clubs. He bought the world's largest stats company, based in Chicago called statsdna, according to Jon Smith. It's a really good interview if you get the time.

Maybe it happened recently, but the Avs (NHL team) were openly hostile to any sort of advanced stat until very recently.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Last relevant As playoff team got swept, and walked off in game 4

This was probably the absolute zenith of my life as a sports fan.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Didn't win a World Series, which means they didn't win anything.
I don't think that's fair. It worked, but you need prolonged succes to win a championship generally. After the A's accomplished what they did with the payroll they had, other teams with more money took notice. It's tough to compete with that.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I love how its the 'moneyball system' like its some advanced mathematics system that took abunch of programming monkeys hours to make that they retro fitted for soccer stats.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I love how its the 'moneyball system' like its some advanced mathematics system that took abunch of programming monkeys hours to make that they retro fitted for soccer stats.

Well what is it then? Obviously you just exaggerated it, but what Arsenal do is derived from moneyball and retrofitted to soccer and it is about the application of statistics, some of which are probably "hidden". It's also a known fact that we did hire Harvard mathematicians : http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2013/06/17/arsenals-gazidis-and-his-harvard-geniuses/

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Have you read the book? I'm not being condescending here, I just want to give you the proper response since its by far one of my favorite books. Up there with Keane @Milo

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Have you read the book? I'm not being condescending here, I just want to give you the proper response since its by far one of my favorite books. Up there with Keane @Milo

I didn't read it. I've watched the film. Genuinely, what is I'm missing here?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Using advanced statistics for evaluation was kind of the byproduct of moneyball. You can't really be a huge club like Arsenal and be a moneyball team. Moneyball is exploiting something that's undervalued in the market to try to catch up to the clubs that can actually spend money.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Using advanced statistics for evaluation was kind of the byproduct of moneyball. You can't really be a huge club like Arsenal and be a moneyball team. Moneyball is exploiting something that's undervalued in the market to try to catch up to the clubs that can actually spend money.

But this is exactly what Arsenal does. We're a big club that acts like a small club trying to compete with the big clubs. I suppose I should really use the term sabermetrics, but it's harder to type.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Moneyball was about willing to approach the game slightly differently due to severe budget constraints. Instead of focusing on scouting and projecting amateur players, it was about focusing more on their amateur results. For veterans, it was about finding skills the league didnt value nearly as much as other skills.

There was really very little 'analytical stats' used. It was more the main baseball stats that they tried to focus on from a slightly different angle.

Exactly what soccer stats are used to value a player besides goals, assists, ect?

chibob

What do you think is the quantifier though?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Moneyball was about willing to approach the game slightly differently due to severe budget constraints. Instead of focusing on scouting and projecting amateur players, it was about focusing more on their amateur results. For veterans, it was about finding skills the league didnt value nearly as much as other skills.

There was really very little 'analytical stats' used. It was more the main baseball stats that they tried to focus on from a slightly different angle.

Exactly what soccer stats are used to value a player besides goals, assists, ect?

Well, fuck knows, but Arsenal are absolutely analysing the shit out of players with the largest sports stats company in the world. I read that for example they're measuring player's defensive recovery % after they've committed upfield. We're acting in exactly the same way that the As did; trying to find statistics that others are ignoring, or as you say looking at the detail in the statistic and interpreting it. Operating like we're under severe budget constraints for 10 years now.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
A small club can't afford even what Arsenal is buying.

I don't get this at all. We are literally using Billy Bean inspired sabermetrics, according to every report, analysis of our spending available, and yet you say it's impossible to compare us to the Oakland As.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't get this at all. We are literally using Billy Bean inspired sabermetrics, according to every report, analysis of our spending available, and yet you say it's impossible to compare us to the Oakland As.
Because the Oakland A's could spend much, much less than that.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
God damn, @hayvis, you'll just bitch about everything with Kroenke. The problem is that club is too cheap to buy the players we need. Which is probably ultimately a Kroenke issue.

But this is insane to bitch about. I would be worried if Arsenal weren't spending money trying to use stats to improve their team. I would imagine every major club is doing something like this. I guarantee that the first club that figures out meaningful advanced statistics for soccer is going to be at a huge advantage. Humans are extremely fallible when it comes to scouting. Having stats that can improve your understanding of a player is invaluable. The hard part is that the stats in soccer are not nearly advanced enough. Good for Arsenal to spending money trying to do this. Dismissing all stats out of hand is you just being a luddite.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
God damn, @hayvis, you'll just bitch about everything with Kroenke. The problem is that club is too cheap to buy the players we need. Which is probably ultimately a Kroenke issue.

But this is insane to bitch about. I would be worried if Arsenal weren't spending money trying to use stats to improve their team. I would imagine every major club is doing something like this. I guarantee that the first club that figures out meaningful advanced statistics for soccer is going to be at a huge advantage. Humans are extremely fallible when it comes to scouting. Having stats that can improve your understanding of a player is invaluable. The hard part is that the stats in soccer are not nearly advanced enough. Good for Arsenal to spending money trying to do this. Dismissing all stats out of hand is you just being a luddite.

This is SO American.