• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 MLB Thread (Little things that keep you up)

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Three cocksuckers didn't put Junior on their ballot.

CYEpYdvW8AAO6o0.jpg
Technically it was 2 who didn't vote him in.

The 3rd, buster olney I think, purposely did not vote for anyone because it's ridiculous that they have to choose 10 people every year.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Technically it was 2 who didn't vote him in.

The 3rd, buster olney I think, purposely did not vote for anyone because it's ridiculous that they have to choose 10 people every year.

Fuck all of them especially Olney.

No vote in any year = you don't to keep your vote

ZackMills

Have mercy
Yeah, that's dumb. I thought maybe someone would have left Griffey off, knowing he was going to get in, to add someone else they wanted to keep on the ballot (e.g. Edmonds). But to not vote at all :emo:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I heard today is vote is for 10 people. Not more, not even less. Like you legit have to circle 10 names so that's how shit like David Eckstein and Mike Hampton get HOF votes.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Dan Lebatard(sp) I heard was one that didnt vote Jr. In. Agree that its a travesty he wasnt an unanimous pick.

And in annoying KC Royals news...we resign Alex Gordon. Start up the dynasty talk haha.

Kansas City Royals. 2015 World Champions. And I will not let you forget it.

goblue96

Dan Lebatard(sp) I heard was one that didnt vote Jr. In. Agree that its a travesty he wasnt an unanimous pick.

And in annoying KC Royals news...we resign Alex Gordon. Start up the dynasty talk haha.

I thought Dan lost his vote in the Deadspin scandal a couple years ago.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

LOL. You got trolled by the LeBetard tweet didnt you. HAHAHAH.

His vote got pulled last year or two years ago when he let Deadspin vote for him.

osick87

Community Liaison
LOL. You got trolled by the LeBetard tweet didnt you. HAHAHAH.

His vote got pulled last year or two years ago when he let Deadspin vote for him.

That ballot was pretty legit too. Aside from Raines not getting in.
19bxvlr9ewx5ejpg.jpg

Schauwn

I thought I've heard they could vote for less than 10? I think (Cowlishaw) was saying yesterday that there are some old guys that still vote that only vote for 2 or 3, because that's they way that they think it should be, or something like that.

goblue96

Bagwell, Raines, and Hoffman better hope they get in next year. Only real HoF candidate is Vlad Guerrero.

2018: Larry "Chipper" Jones and Jim Thome (don't laugh - the man has a strong case).
2019: Mariano Rivera and Roy "NAME NAMES" Halladay
2020: Derek Jeter

Plus borderline candidates like Manny Ramirez, Pudge Rodriguez, Scott Rolen, Andruw Jones, and Todd Helton join the party at varying points between 2017-2020

osick87

Community Liaison
I wouldn't consider Manny or Pudge borderline. Manny likely won't be first because drugs are bad mmmkay and he didn't play the game the right way.

goblue96

I think Pudge is in too but I could also see him falling 5% short in his 1st year and having to wait until year 2 as well. Pudge is in the 70-80% range for year 1.

goblue96

Rolen will be an interesting debate. He'll kind of be a precursor for Beltre.

Rolen will be a fun debate. He had to live up to the expectations of being the next Mike Schmidt in Philly. He had Schmidt's glove but not his power bat. Could be one of those guys who take time to get in like Raines.

osick87

Community Liaison
I mean Beltre is a bit better but I see people who don't vote Rolen will also not vote Beltre. Aside from a few Philly writers who hold a grudge for Rolen requesting a trade.

evil1

HOF voters don't really respect defense. As a result I don't think either Rolen or Helton get voted in. (I'm saying they won't get the votes, not whether they should get in). Pudge will get in but only because he had some really good offensive seasons to go with his defense.

The most interesting candidate we will see in the next few years is Andy Pettitte. Looking at his numbers he is an obvious Hall of Famer and he is well liked by the writers, buuuuuut he was caught using PEDs. You can't argue that PEDs should keep Bonds and Clemens out and then give Pettitte a free pass.

evil1

I don't think Piazza ever admitted to anything.

Edit - Piazza admitted to taking androstenedione, which is not considered to be a true anabolic steroid but instead is a metabolic precursor to testosterone. It is banned by the Olympics but can still be bought over the counter as a "dietary supplement". I do not believe it was banned by MLB nor illegal when Piazza said he took it, but it is a banned substance now.

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
I don't think Piazza ever admitted to anything.

Edit - Piazza admitted to taking androstenedione, which is not considered to be a true anabolic steroid but instead is a metabolic precursor to testosterone. It is banned by the Olympics but can still be bought over the counter as a "dietary supplement". I do not believe it was banned by MLB nor illegal when Piazza said he took it, but it is a banned substance now.

Yeah but Pettite was nice to people. Being an asshole is probably more condemning.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
HOF voters don't really respect defense. As a result I don't think either Rolen or Helton get voted in. (I'm saying they won't get the votes, not whether they should get in). Pudge will get in but only because he had some really good offensive seasons to go with his defense.

The most interesting candidate we will see in the next few years is Andy Pettitte. Looking at his numbers he is an obvious Hall of Famer and he is well liked by the writers, buuuuuut he was caught using PEDs. You can't argue that PEDs should keep Bonds and Clemens out and then give Pettitte a free pass.
I bet you they will give him much more of a free pass than either of them. The difference Pettitte did was he admitted it when he got caught.

To be honest...We really dont give a shit if people 'cheat'. As long as there is competition there will always be people who will look to exploit every advantage to win. We for the most part accept that.

The issue is we dont like being lied to when its plainly clear you lied. I know Bonds has an absolute shit relationship with the media, but theres no doubt in my mind when the Balco shit came out if Bonds had thrown his hands up and went and admitted that he did take shit so he could keep up with the McGwire's and Sosa's and Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzales and all the other people who clearly did illegal shit..He would have gained a ton of support for it for at least being honest about it. Remember Palmiero? Nobody gave a shit he got caught..People gave a shit, and rightfully crushed him when he went above and beyond to deny he ever took steroids...then got busted.

Wooly

The HofF was always kind of dumb, but once they started leaving out players for PEDs, they became kind of irrelevant too. No matter how you feel about PEDs, if you leave out Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Piazza, etc you don't have a HofF anymore. You don't get to pretend that a whole time period of baseball didn't exist. Those guys had numbers so much higher than even their peers of the same era that who cares if they used PEDs or not. They were clearly deserving, and the HofF voters are making a judgement based on morality instead of merit. You lose credibility when you do that.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
They also lose all credibility when they elect guys everybody knew was taking greenies but somehow steroids is a no go.

Wooly

Because greenies take you from hitting 15-20 homers a year to 50.
PEDs didn't do all that either though. They might have helped the increase, but the I think the ball was changed around 1993-94 to increase offense and ratings.

Either way, the stats on guys like Bonds and McGwire were still so much better than their peers that they deserve the HofF. You can only compare guys against their own peers, and when you do that, these guys are off the charts by standard deviation methods. Piazza might be the best hitting catcher of all time. Clemens was also a beast, an asshole, but a beast. You can't leave those guys out.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I love the idea that Piazza was up there hitting dingers on meth, actually. I like him more.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Well, as long as we're throwing logic out the window, it's pretty clear that Bonds, Clemons, and Pettite wouldn't make the hall without steroids.

Wooly

Well, it looks like Piazza got in now. Of course it was a few years delayed while the speculation of the PED use died down. Now the Hall voters can feel better that perhaps the best hitting catching baseball history was clean of PEDs and deserves to be in their sacred shrine.

Mattingly would probably have been in if he would have just cut his hair back in the 80s and stopped looking like a damn hippy!

Schauwn

Bonds had 3 MVP awards in Pittsburgh, before he was believed to be taking steroids. That's among the other greats for number of MVP seasons. I think he should be in.