• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 MLB Thread (Little things that keep you up)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Pettite was a throw away. Bonds and Clemons were my two real points. Are there really that many HOF worth players that wouldn't be HOF worth without steroids? McGwire? And who else? Brady Anderson isn't on anyone's hall of fame ballot (although I guess 2 people voted for David Eckstein, so...).

The hypocrisy is the writers saying they won't vote for anybody who's done PEDs, while probably every hall of famer from the 60s onwards was on greenies.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Assume they had any to begin with, sure.

In reality, the baseball hall of fame is packed to the gills with unworthy players, especially from the so-called golden age of baseball.

Wooly

Pettite was a throw away. Bonds and Clemons were my two real points. Are there really that many HOF worth players that wouldn't be HOF worth without steroids? McGwire? And who else? Brady Anderson isn't on anyone's hall of fame ballot (although I guess 2 people voted for David Eckstein, so...).

The hypocrisy is the writers saying they won't vote for anybody who's done PEDs, while probably every hall of famer from the 60s onwards was on greenies.

McGwire is a lock with or without PEDs. His stats are awesome, even compared to other players of the same time period, so it strips out the PED argument. He is perhaps the best power hitter, and one of the best OPS guys in history. AND on top of that, he is a right handed hitter. When you look at the list of just righty's he gets more impressive. I think only Frank Thomas compares to him on the past 30 years. Better throw in Pujols and ARod in there too, even though they are still playing.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think there's a good chance McGwire was roiding his entire career.

I guess Sosa is another guy who doesn't sniff the hall without roids.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Tell you what...why don't you make this very simple for me?

• Tell me what percentage of statistics I should "discount" for the alleged PED users (knowingly breaking the rules to enhance performance)
  • Tell me what percentage of statistics I should "discount" for the admitted doctorers of baseballs (knowingly breaking the rules to enhance performance)
And also, please give me the rationale behind your calculations.

This is why baseball is the freaking worst. "You can't get in the Hall because you allegedly cheated the game! But we're totally cool with you, who admitted that you cheated the game."

-YTC

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Was on deadspin watching these piazza Homers. He hits some frozen rope opposite field 400 footers that are almost unbelievable. I mean Miggy can do it but probably outweighs piazza by 50 pounds, too. And doesn't play catcher.

osick87

Community Liaison
@Mr. Radpants

Drew Storen for Ben Revere may be a thing

Correction. Is a thing

I will kind of miss Revere. He always looks so happy.

tumblr_nsovnkqXQ71r37slco1_500.gif

osick87

Community Liaison
I like it a lot too.

LF was kind of full so getting much needed Bullpen help is nice.

Wooly

I think there's a good chance McGwire was roiding his entire career.

I guess Sosa is another guy who doesn't sniff the hall without roids.

What if he was? Did they give McGwire an incredible OBP? When you are assessing hitters I think you look at OPS+ or wRC+. They are the gold standards of offensive production. They compare a player against his own competition every year, so you can strip out a lot of the differences between eras, like the so called "PED era". They even try to account for park and league differences too. McGwire was phenomenal even if you account for the high scoring era that he was part of. He dominated against his own era like only a handful of greats in the games history have.

Personally, I don't like comparing eras that much, even with stats that judge a player on how much he dominated his era. McGwire holds up to any era, especially his own. When considering just RHBs, he is just about the best RHB ever.

Overall Rankings in baseball history:
wRC+ = 12th all time
OPS+ = 10th all time

Right handed rankings:
wRC+ = 4th all time (2nd Best in last 50 years)
OPS+ = 3rd all time (Best in last 50 years)

How can that guy be left out of the Hall of Fame? Roids or not.

Sidenote: Sosa was actually ranked about 190th all time. Sosa played 18 seasons, and only 5-6 were elite. He had a lot of mediocre or just above average years.

Wooly

Sosa also corked his bat. The ultimate cheater.

True. Of course my understanding is that corking a bat will not actually help you hit the ball further. Just like roids, baseball players have done lots of things to gain an advantage, not knowing they don't make a lot of difference.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
However, there is a caveat. Being able to swing the bat faster allows the hitter to delay the swing for a crucial extra fraction of a second. And this may allow more accurate hits. “So, while corking may not allow a batter to hit the ball farther, it may well allow a batter to hit the ball solidly more often,” say Nathan and co.

That could be a significant effect. The study shows that corked bats don’t allow balls to be hit any further but this has nothing to do with the question of whether corked bats allow home runs to be hit more often.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/420831/the-misleading-myth-of-the-corked-bat/

Wooly

lol. Yeah, strength and lighter bats won't help at all.

Yes, that is exactly the article I was going to post. The researcher at Illinois showed that corked bats don't help the ball go any further. As for a lighter bat to swing it faster...if you want a lighter bat, just swing a lighter bat, they could opt for different density wood then. There is still no need to cork the thing. Some people actually thought the cork would increased elasticity in the collision with the ball, and therefore hit it further.

Here are all the conclusions of the article. No help in distance, unknown if it helps at all, except it's possible it gives you more time to see the ball. That is a miniscule help at best, and unnecessary either way. How much time difference, what fraction of a second can you really gain by a very slight difference in weight, and will you really be able to take advantage of it by starting your swing a fraction of a second later? Could you even get your body to do that if you wanted to? Either way, it's a specious argument, because you can get that effect just by swinging a lighter bat too, and there is probably no real gain anyway.

The point is that corking doesn't work, so players that did this cheated for no reason. I think it's similar to steroids, where I don't think there was much gain in offensive production from steroid use, but players did it anyway trying to get an edge. I think a change in the ball is a much better explanation for the "steroid era" numbers.

They have two results. First, they say the trampoline effect is negligible in corked bats. In other words, there is no increase in the elasticity of the bat-ball collision.
Second, they investigated the trade off between higher bat speed and lower collision efficiency and found no benefit to a corked bat.
We conclude that there is no advantage to corking a bat if the goal is for the batted ball speed to be as large as possible, as is the case for a home run hitter,” they say.
However, there is a caveat. Being able to swing the bat faster allows the hitter to delay the swing for a crucial extra fraction of a second. And this may allow more accurate hits.
“So, while corking may not allow a batter to hit the ball farther, it may well allow a batter to hit the ball solidly more often,” say Nathan and co.
That could be a significant effect. The study shows that corked bats don’t allow balls to be hit any further but this has nothing to do with the question of whether corked bats allow home runs to be hit more often.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
You would get a large advantage from swinging later. Have you ever played baseball?

That's kind of the advantage of velocity. Less time to decide, have to decide before pitch recognition, etc.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I can't comment about lighter bats except they might not have the plate reach a power hitter wants. I can't find exactly how light corked bats are.

I agree it's silly for a power hitter to cork a bat based on the studies, but being able to swing later is a significant advantage.

Wooly

I can't comment about lighter bats except they might not have the plate reach a power hitter wants. I can't find exactly how light corked bats are.

I agree it's silly for a power hitter to cork a bat based on the studies, but being able to swing later is a significant advantage.

I don't think a player can really take advantage of it though, which is what I first posted. I said the gains are so minimal and they probably can't make their body adjust well enough anyway, given that you can't use corked bats for very long. They break easier, and you will get caught easier. Hitters are trained by thousands and thousands of at bats to swing a certain way. It takes time to make adjustments. I doubt you can use a corked bat log enough to adjust and utilize that minor advantage. And what is that minor advantage? From what I can see it changes the weight by about 1 oz. from an average of 33. So you I guess you can swing it about 1/33 faster, without doing a full physics workup for the moment of inertia or whatever else is affected by 1 oz less. A 95 mph ball is traveling 139 ft/sec, which means you see the ball for about .435 seconds. So .435*(1/33) = 0.0132 seconds longer to wait to swing, before you have to swing to get the bat to the ball at the same place for impact. That is also like seeing it about 1.8 feet sooner before you have to swing, or something. That doesn't seem like much, but then I have never hit a major league pitched baseball either.

It seems like it would be a lot simpler to make a permanent change to a lighter density wood to gain that same advantage, and permanently adjust your swing for it.

I honestly think players who cork bats are doing it for an imagined effect.