• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NFL: ALL HAIL THE ACID SHARKS

Lloyd Carr

I'm probably biased since I wanted the Patriots to win, but I really don't think the call was that bad.

There were 25 seconds left in the game, and they only had one timeout left. Running on 2nd down makes the game clock situation a lot more complex, and really puts a lot of pressure on the offense to manage the clock and get things together quickly. If they run and get stuffed in the backfield, they are looking at 15-20 seconds left on the clock on 3rd down (provided they take their timeout at the end of the play). So now they are 100% locked into four down territory since there's no time to get a kicker on the field, and they need to get in the endzone on 3rd or 4th down. Everyone wants them to run it again on 3rd down, so they try to pound it in, and they fail again. Now it's 4th down, and there's ~5-10 seconds left on the clock when the ball is placed. Not much time to audible. Not much time to read the defense. Really, there's just enough time to get to the line of scrimmage and hike the ball.

The playcall was fine. The execution was shit.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
It was a shit call and execution.

26 seconds left on the clock:

1) If you run the ball and it gets stopped. If you call immediate time out you are looking at 19-22 seconds left
2) On the sideline you call two plays with the understanding that if you get stopped on 3rd down you have time to run it again (doable with 20 seconds left)
3) Run it again with Lynch on the 3rd down, and if the Pats stop it again, you quickly line up and run the same action except this time you run the naked boot with Wilson.

Also why are you referencing "100% locked into four down territory since there's no time to get a kicker on the field"? They were down 4 points and that was not a consideration.

jdlikewhoa

I'm probably biased since I wanted the Patriots to win, but I really don't think the call was that bad.

There were 25 seconds left in the game, and they only had one timeout left. Running on 2nd down makes the game clock situation a lot more complex, and really puts a lot of pressure on the offense to manage the clock and get things together quickly. If they run and get stuffed in the backfield, they are looking at 15-20 seconds left on the clock on 3rd down (provided they take their timeout at the end of the play). So now they are 100% locked into four down territory since there's no time to get a kicker on the field, and they need to get in the endzone on 3rd or 4th down. Everyone wants them to run it again on 3rd down, so they try to pound it in, and they fail again. Now it's 4th down, and there's ~5-10 seconds left on the clock when the ball is placed. Not much time to audible. Not much time to read the defense. Really, there's just enough time to get to the line of scrimmage and hike the ball.

Why are you running the kicker onto he field when you're down by 4?

Lloyd Carr

It was a shit call and execution.

26 seconds left on the clock:

1) If you run the ball and it gets stopped. If you call immediate time out you are looking at 19-22 seconds left
2) On the sideline you call two plays with the understanding that if you get stopped on 3rd down you have time to run it again (doable with 20 seconds left)
3) Run it again with Lynch on the 3rd down, and if the Pats stop it again, you quickly line up and run the same action except this time you run the naked boot with Wilson.

Also why are you referencing "100% locked into four down territory since there's no time to get a kicker on the field"? They were down 4 points and that was not a consideration.

Ha, you're right. I was thinking they were only down three.

But I don't think it matters one way or another whether or not they run the ball or pass it at that point. The slant could have worked. Had Wilson made a better throw, it's entirely possible it does work and we're all talking about the catch by Kerse.

It didn't work out in favor of the Seahawks. Wilson made a bad throw, and Butler made a great play. It happens. A run doesn't guarantee a score. A fade doesn't guarantee a score. A play is a play.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
A better call would have been a fade to Chris Matthews, but I don't think it was a bad call at all. The Seahawks basically had to throw the ball on either 2nd or 3rd down, given their timeouts and the time left. They could have run on both, but there's a good chance they wouldn't have had time to run a play on 4th down had they done that.

And even given all that, look at this shit:

B8z8eFFCYAI4FLz.png

That is wide open. If Wilson's throw had been better or the Pat's DB hadn't made an absolutely ridiculous break on the ball, that's an easy touchdown. But somehow it was a bad call? Get the fuck out. Wilson made a bad throw, the Pat's DB made the play of year. Play call was fine.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I know a play is a play, but man you got a guy who arguably might be "the hardest guy to tackle in football" and oh by the way a QB who might be just as elusive at his position.

We are not talking about Shady McCoy in the backfield (who killed my fantasy football team ) who is a buck 95 at HB, we are talking about MF'ing "Beast Mode". I'm sorry, but in this case "a play is not a play".

I will agree that the Butler kid made one helluva play.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Of course. He's a 4 time 1000 yard receiver in the 1980s. And missed a 5th by 11 yards in a season he missed two games. He would be the #1 receiver on Seattle.

Did you see the Collinsworth segment on Real Sports this week. Very impressed with Mrs Collinsworth. Big time MILF and she has to be in her 50's.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
It was a bad call because Wilson is a JV QB throwing to a JV WR with the state championship on the line while the best player on the field was whacking his pudd in the backfield.

Why would you not go to your only varsity-caliber player when it's crunch time?

Wilson is good, but Lynch was the workhorse all year. Doesn't make sense to give someone else first dibbs.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni

I'm probably biased since I'm a Seahawks fan, but I don't like the call. :turrible:

Although, I heard two stats this morning that were interesting. #1 - the Hawks gave Marshawn the ball from the 1 yard line five times this year. He scored once. #2 - Across the NFL this season, there were 109 pass attempts from the 1 yard line. None of them got intercepted. And then I heard a snippet of Pete's postgame where he said they had multiple receivers on the field and New England didn't sub (i.e. still had all the goal line fatties out there), so they felt like they had a mismatch to squeeze in a pass play.

If you take all that into consideration, I sort of understand the call. And had it worked, the narrative is "Big Balls Pete goes against conventional wisdom, rolls the dice, and wins the Super Bowl."

But despite all that.....you've got Marshawn Lynch. And you've got Russell's legs. On 2nd down, I'm either pounding it with Lynch, or going play action boot leg (probably the former, since I'd always be nervous to take the ball backwards when you're that close). If they hadn't wasted two timeouts earlier in the drive, I wonder how different the thinking would've been.

Lastly.......obligatory "Tim Tebow would've scored."

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
If you don't pass on 2nd or 3rd down, you are lighting a down on fire. If you don't pass on 2nd down, you basically have to pass on 3rd down if you don't want to risk the clock running out. Seattle called a pass, got exactly what they wanted, and didn't execute. They put the Pats 5th corner on an island and he came through.

Let's put it this way - if that pass is incomplete, exactly nobody is bitching about the play call. That, right there, is why this entire argument is dumb.

I mean, maybe you put Wilson on a bootleg instead, but you're really not going to get a better look at the endzone with a pass play than that picture above.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
A better call would have been a fade to Chris Matthews, but I don't think it was a bad call at all. The Seahawks basically had to throw the ball on either 2nd or 3rd down, given their timeouts and the time left. They could have run on both, but there's a good chance they wouldn't have had time to run a play on 4th down had they done that.

And even given all that, look at this shit:

B8z8eFFCYAI4FLz.png

That is wide open. If Wilson's throw had been better or the Pat's DB hadn't made an absolutely ridiculous break on the ball, that's an easy touchdown. But somehow it was a bad call? Get the fuck out. Wilson made a bad throw, the Pat's DB made the play of year. Play call was fine.

Jeebus. I hadn't seen that yet. That's one hell of a read and break by Butler.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I know a play is a play, but man you got a guy who arguably might be "the hardest guy to tackle in football" and oh by the way a QB who might be just as elusive at his position.

We are not talking about Shady McCoy in the backfield (who killed my fantasy football team ) who is a buck 95 at HB, we are talking about MF'ing "Beast Mode". I'm sorry, but in this case "a play is not a play".

I will agree that the Butler kid made one helluva play.

Lynch checks in at two inches taller and five pounds heavier than Emmitt Smith. I can put in two inch high bold print that Jimmy Johnson lines up with two TEs, Irvin split wide, Darryl Johnson at FB, and gives Emmitt Smith the damn the ball in that same situation as last night.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
If you don't pass on 2nd or 3rd down, you are lighting a down on fire. If you don't pass on 2nd down, you basically have to pass on 3rd down if you don't want to risk the clock running out. Seattle called a pass, got exactly what they wanted, and didn't execute. They put the Pats 5th corner on an island and he came through.

Let's put it this way - if that pass is incomplete, exactly nobody is bitching about the play call. That, right there, is why this entire argument is dumb.

I mean, maybe you put Wilson on a bootleg instead, but you're really not going to get a better look at the endzone with a pass play than that picture above.

I am.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Sure as hell am not throwing a slant over the middle from the 1 yard line.

I would have been good with a bootleg run/pass option or just calling the same play where Lynch carried 3 guys down to the 1 yard line. Either one of those would have worked for me.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Pretty much my thoughts exactly: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

Sounds crazy, but he’s right: With 26 seconds left and only one timeout, the Seahawks couldn’t run Lynch three times in a row. If they rushed on second down, didn’t make it in, called timeout, rushed again, and still didn’t make it in, they’d probably be out of time before they could get off another play. So, the Seahawks had three downs to work with, but they could only run Lynch twice at most.

Thus the question isn’t whether the Seahawks should’ve called a run — we’ve already stipulated that. The question is when they should’ve called a run.

It is a huge pet peeve of mine that NFL coaches couldn't pass an entry level college logic course. And I think it's because the general public jumps all over them like they have with Carroll and this. Carroll made a good call and gets killed because of hindsight. Jesus.

Again, maybe that particular pass wasn't the perfect play call, but it wasn't a bad play call either.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I saw it. Collinsworth watches like 10 hours of film a day during the season. Milf Collinsworth said she can be lonely at times.

get cuckold.

Yeah she is getting no dick during the season. Would love to help her out with that.

She is not has hot as this chick

directv-marionettes-no-more-wires-large-7.jpg

but she will do.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
They wasted two TO's on that drive because the play clock was about to expire.
Well that too. But they didn't really hustle to run that second down play. They were in a weird place with the clock I guess, but if lack of time was the reason for passing they should have just ran the ball instead of burning clock. The play call was terrible and the execution was worse.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

It is a huge pet peeve of mine that NFL coaches couldn't pass an entry level college logic course. And I think it's because the general public jumps all over them like they have with Carroll and this. Carroll made a good call and gets killed because of hindsight. Jesus.

Again, maybe that particular pass wasn't the perfect play call, but it wasn't a bad play call either.
That article just made me think of this:

Bucksin04

Although, I heard two stats this morning that were interesting. #1 - the Hawks gave Marshawn the ball from the 1 yard line five times this year. He scored once. #2 - Across the NFL this season, there were 109 pass attempts from the 1 yard line. None of them got intercepted. And then I heard a snippet of Pete's postgame where he said they had multiple receivers on the field and New England didn't sub (i.e. still had all the goal line fatties out there), so they felt like they had a mismatch to squeeze in a pass play.

Counterpoints:

Nice.....you just shattered Brick's theory that you and I are the same person. He knows I'd never post that shit.

If you zoom way in, you can probably see my tears in the background of that picture.

Sorry man. I felt the need to hurt somebody and you left me an opening.

Oh, and that was one of the happiest moments of my life. Was there too.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

Stop it. It was a shit call because you have the closest the recent NFL version of Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson

hell lm you could have just ran a sneak and had Wilson jump over the line and extend the ball.

I mean the fact we've heard it was 3 different guys responsibility in 24 hours means it was a shit call.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Stop it. It was a shit call because you have the closest the recent NFL version of Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson

hell lm you could have just ran a sneak and had Wilson jump over the line and extend the ball.

I mean the fact we've heard it was 3 different guys responsibility in 24 hours means it was a shit call.

This is why you're getting fired.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
According to Football Outsiders, the Patriots were the worst team in the league in power-running situations and fifth-worst in terms of stuffing the opposition for no gain or a loss. Seattle was the second-best power running team and the sixth-best team at avoiding stuffs. If there was ever a matchup that called for a team to live and die on the back of its running game from the 1-yard line, this was it.

Smart call to pass in that situation with a timeout. Also there was a massive offensive pass interference on that play.