• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 Premier League

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
De gea isn't saving that deflection

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
What are the odds we see the 0-0 tie between Sunderland and Arsenal on Wednesday? Basically assures Arsenal 3rd and keeps Sunderland up. If it were Italy or Spain ...

chibob

What are the odds we see the 0-0 tie between Sunderland and Arsenal on Wednesday? Basically assures Arsenal 3rd and keeps Sunderland up. If it were Italy or Spain ...

Does it though?

Wenger will surely rest players against West Brom. I think the 3 is needed against Sunderland or you run the risk of this:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
7 goal swing is pretty unlikely - although not impossible. It's not like West Brom will care. And Hull actually would care.

I think Arsenal beats Sunderland though, so it will be academic.

bruin

Drunk or just dumb?

2.gif

NML

Sterling apparently won't sign a new contract and wants a move this summer.

Bad move for him, imo. He's not that great and if he moves to another club, especially like Madrid, he won't see the field regularly.

He's a fine player, but he's very overhyped. He had a good run of form for about a month this year and that's it. Apparently people thought he had a good World Cup, but I thought he gave the ball away far too easily. And I'm sure they'll get 50m for him.

Sterling and 15m for Bale? Yesplz

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Sterling apparently won't sign a new contract and wants a move this summer.

Bad move for him, imo. He's not that great and if he moves to another club, especially like Madrid, he won't see the field regularly.

He's a fine player, but he's very overhyped. He had a good run of form for about a month this year and that's it. Apparently people thought he had a good World Cup, but I thought he gave the ball away far too easily. And I'm sure they'll get 50m for him.

Sterling and 15m for Bale? Yesplz

I agree completely on Sterling. He's basically put together pieces of one good year in the 3 years he's been a first team player. He's clearly got talent, but he's nothing more than promising at this point.

Bale is going to be the transfer saga of the summer. Are there any teams in the EPL that wouldn't want him?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I don't believe Sterling and Rodgers have gotten along much either. I believe it was Sterling that Rodgers threatened to put on a plane back to England during that Liverpool series which Fox aired. His ceiling is probably Theo Walcott 2.0 which is still pretty damn good but Walcott, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have the inflated ego that Sterling has.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Eh, Walcott is just not as public about it.

I think Sterling could be better than Walcott actually. Walcott basically has two tricks - speed and he's a good finisher. He really isn't that good at anything else. Sterling seems much more rounded to me.

Snorky's Shame

Am I alone in thinking that the only way Liverpool get Bale is if Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United don't want him. I don't see Liverpool winning a bidding war with any of those clubs and quite frankly, I don't see them at that level at the time being.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Am I alone in thinking that the only way Liverpool get Bale is if Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United don't want him. I don't see Liverpool winning a bidding war with any of those clubs and quite frankly, I don't see them at that level at the time being.

No, I think so, too. I think Chelsea and Arsenal might actually pass on him, but there's no way both ManU and Man City pass on him.

chibob

Sterling for 50? I doubt it. In his last year of contract - chances are hell go for 30-35 or Liverpool risk him going on a bosman next year.

Hes starting to believe his own hype. Hes a good player but hes no world beater yet.

He reminds me a lot of Ronaldo when he was younger but I dont see him developing physically like Ronaldo did and that is such a huge part of his game now. Sterling will probably go the Lennon route, a good player in his prime but nothing to write home about.

Then again he is prem ready, home grown and young so City would probably pay over the odds for him as they are known to do.

bruin

Sterling for 50? I doubt it. In his last year of contract - chances are hell go for 30-35 or Liverpool risk him going on a bosman next year.

Hes starting to believe his own hype. Hes a good player but hes no world beater yet.

He reminds me a lot of Ronaldo when he was younger but I dont see him developing physically like Ronaldo did and that is such a huge part of his game now. Sterling will probably go the Lennon route, a good player in his prime but nothing to write home about.

Then again he is prem ready, home grown and young so City would probably pay over the odds for him as they are known to do.

sAGf69j.jpg

chibob

The numbers - both players at 19:

Goals - Ronaldo 9 Sterling 14
Shot conversion rate - Ronaldo 6% Sterling 19.4%
Assists (chances created) - Ronaldo 8 (90) Sterling 9 (112)
Dribbles completed - Ronaldo 182 Sterling 165
Win percentage - Ronaldo 58.8% Sterling 55.9%

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying Sterling is or will be better than Ronaldo. As I said in my last post, i dont see him getting to Ronnys level. But there are definite similarities. Ronaldo though had and still has a ridiculous drive to be the best, not so sure about Sterling. He thinks hes made it already.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Aren't those figures completely skewed by the fact that Ronaldo was almost always deployed as an out and out winger at that stage of his career, whereas Sterling often lines up more central? Can't say that I do see the likeness to be honest, as I remember watching Ronaldo as a wide dribbler.

chibob

Aren't those figures completely skewed by the fact that Ronaldo was almost always deployed as an out and out winger at that stage of his career, whereas Sterling often lines up more central? Can't say that I do see the likeness to be honest, as I remember watching Ronaldo as a wide dribbler.

No.

Stats are from last year. When he was deployed as a wide player.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
PS. The stats back up the fact that they play(ed) in different positions. Ronaldo, was deployed as a wide dribbler, hence the up in his dribbling stats. Also because Ronaldo played wider, he had less clear cut chances, hence the lower shot conversion, not because he was less of a finisher at that stage. I don't really care about either player, I just honestly can't see the comparison at this stage. I've watched both extensively and I just don't see it.

NML

Didn't watch Ronaldo at that age so I can't speak to the comparison. But not sure the generic comparison of "insert fast opaque winger" is fair.

He has pace, but he's also very physical despite his small stature. His hold up play has been very good this year, probably a reason BR trusted him up top.

His crossing and finishing are poor. I'm guessing there's a stretch of games where if you took them out, he'd only have like 2 goals this year.

NML

Shit, you don't even need to smudge the numbers. Take away the League Cup and he's got 8 goals in 48 appearances this year.

NML

Sunderland have zero interest in trying to score. Would love to see an Arsenal goal here late.

Preferably a Cattermole own goal.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Think the former could happen, but the latter is unlikely. Hull have much more to play for than ManU in that game - it's going to be close.

Really, though, if there's one team that could do it, it's Arsenal.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Newcastle could do it too although that would require them to do something other than lose 10 games in a row to even be at the top of the table

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
This has been an absolutely classic end to our season. Never has second place actually meant as much as this year (new Champions League seeding), and we take our fucking foot off the gas and cruise to third. Over the last 8 years I can't think of a single time where we haven't crumbled under pressure. Even when we won the FA cup last year, we tried to give it to Hull and Wigan in the process. The only thing that could be responsible for this is bad management.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
This has been an absolutely classic end to our season. Never has second place actually meant as much as this year (new Champions League seeding), and we take our fucking foot off the gas and cruise to third. Over the last 8 years I can't think of a single time where we haven't crumbled under pressure. Even when we won the FA cup last year, we tried to give it to Hull and Wigan in the process. The only thing that could be responsible for this is bad management.

Arsenal will be seeded 2 in the group stage draw. The new seedings is for champions only. So really it doesn't matter if you're 2nd or 3rd still.

That said, I agree with your point. I'd love for Wenger to retire now and for Klopp to come in.