• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014/15 NBA Thread pelican and okc bitches

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
So @Reel, what would you rather have:

i

or

011913_jrue-holiday_600.jpg

or

tmpQzHoRV.jpg

evil1

OK, all trolling aside, the Kanter signing doesn't retroactively make the Harden trade any better or worse. If you thought the Harden trade was bad when it was made, then you are still going to believe it is bad now. If you thought the Harden trade was justifiable, then the Kanter signing won't change that.

I think OKC overpaid for Kanter, but I also think they are better with Kanter than without him. Kanter might even provide enough interior production to push them over the top in a late round playoff series. Sometimes it is worth it to overpay a little. I think this is one of those times.

I also think the Harden trade was a mistake, if for no reason than they could have gotten so much more for him had they waited 6-9 months. Regardless of whether they thought Harden wasn't going to be this good, or if they thought he would eventually outgrow his role with Durant and Westbrook, the fact of the matter is that they traded an asset as its lowest value when they didn't have to. While OKC's bench might be less horrible now than it was, they could have improved their bench without trading Harden. For example, they could have used the amnesty provision on Perkins two years earlier than they did. In short, they had lots of options that didn't demand that they Harden when they did for that level of return.

So if you want to re-argue the Harden trade from 3 years ago, go ahead, but it really doesn't make the Kanter signing any better or worse now.

Heisman06

The other thing is that if this free agency taught us anything it's that small market teams can sign big names. Aldridge almost went to the Suns. Monroe chose less money to go to Milwaukee. DeMarre Carroll went to the Raptors. Monta Ellis went to Indiana.

Who's the biggest free agent the big markets got? Robin Lopez in NY? Lakers couldn't get anyone and brought in Hibbert! Celtics are still waiting for Love to return their phone call (who, by the way, went to Cleveland and still stayed). Mavs missed on everyone (other than a broken Wes Matthews). Miami got no one.

What did you expect? All the money was spent re-signing Wade and Dragic. Signed Gerald Green and Amare to minimum deals (below their market).

NML

I didn't expect anything, it was just an example of another big market team who didn't get a big name free agent

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Yeah, somehow Miami not getting a big name free agent is proof that OKC could have if they'd let Kanter walk? IDK.

I'd like to see a list of "big name free agents" that have been lured to OKC since the move from Seattle. Maybe I'm just forgetting all of them.

NML

Jesus dude, let it go.

Obviously they haven't brought anyone in because they 1) refused to go into the luxury tax and 2) had no cap room.

Heisman06

I didn't expect anything, it was just an example of another big market team who didn't get a big name free
agent

For the record, Miami is considered the 19th biggest media market in the NBA falling behind Cleveland, Detroit and even Minny.

GuyIncognito

I'll let it go when you stop saying ridiculous things. OKC doesn't bring in big name free agents. Nobody wants to live there.

NML

I'll let it go when you stop saying ridiculous things. OKC doesn't bring in big name free agents. Nobody wants to live there.

Obviously people want to live there or people wouldn't live there. Durant and Westbrook both signed extensions, so it can't be that bad. And again, if it is, they are leaving anyways - so signing Kanter was really stupid.

NML

And they don't have to bring in LeBron to make it a better signing than Kanter. Kanter has been extremely average for all of his career except a 25 game window with OKC. Yet they gave him a max contract.

NML

They drafted Russ and Durant (and Ibaka, and Harden). They traded for Kanter. Where are all the free agents?

Couldn't tell you last big name free agent the Celtics signed, yet the won the championship in 2008 and were a contender for the next five years. Make a trade.

GuyIncognito

That's not the point. The point is you denigrated the Kanter signing because of these imaginary free agents that are lining up to move to Oklahoma.

Considering that's nonsense, it doesn't stand as a criticism of the signing.

NML

That's not the point. The point is you denigrated the Kanter signing because of these imaginary free agents that are lining up to move to Oklahoma.

Considering that's nonsense, it doesn't stand as a criticism of the signing.

I don't like the signing because they abandoned everything they had preached for four years on an average player.

GuyIncognito

Now you're a big fan of what they've been preaching?

Well if you'd really paid attention, you'd understand the different situation they're in now versus then.

NML

Now you're a big fan of what they've been preaching?

Well if you'd really paid attention, you'd understand the different situation they're in now versus then.

I don't care what they preach or don't, I just said why I didn't like the signing.

And I do get that they are in a different situation - they need to keep Durant. Doesn't mean you have to overpay an average player to do so.

Why do you want to keep arguing? You clearly think they made the right move, so agree to disagree. Quit being so damn butthurt about it that you feel the need to bring it up every chance you get.

NML

Oh god is that really it? I would make the same comments about any team making dumb moves. That's why @Reel thinks I have it out for him.

Of course the thudner fans think that.

GuyIncognito

I don't mind the rip so much because it's not pretending to be hurt. Sure it's cheap, but cheap is better than cheap and dishonest.