• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The 2020 perpetual OFFSEASON THREAD

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon

One reason why BYU left the MWC was because of TV. BYU had been promised they could air games same day on BYUtv as a replay by CBS and the MWC, and that wasn't kept. Knowing they were one of the big teams driving viewership but having to share the deal with smaller schools, they were able to sign up with ESPN directly to make more money. It's not Power 5 money, but it's better than MWC and they have more control over their games (re-airing the games on BYUtv is a REEL big deal for them).

I hadn't heard about this issue with BSU. So what's their thinking if the MWC doesn't cave in? Go to the WAC? Go independent? I'm sure ESPN would give them a contract like BYU's given the draw they are for viewers. This could be interesting. My guess, doe, is that the MWC will cave in.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The American as a full member or a football only member with their other sports in the Big Sky or WCC. Not some mostly dead conference.

Also, the Arizona schools left in the 70s, so

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
So, Rocky Long goes back to New Mexico as DC.

giphy.gif

bruin

Any ACC folk wanna give us a run down on former Duke RB Brittain Brown? Grad transfer to UCLA

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU made some announcements yesterday, so I'll fill in the off-season with some stuff.

First, remember when BYU went independent and Nutopians said that the big-name teams they were playing on the road would end up cancelling the return games. Well, that hasn't happened. Michigan State plays in Provo this September. Missouri and Houston go to Provo in October. With Wisconsin and Mississippi State having traveled to Provo in recent years, it seems that the big boys are honoring their commitments and BYU's independent schedule has been pretty impressive recently.

Also, they have one Thursday night game against Utah to start the season and a Friday night game the weekend of General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They'll probably play some late games as they play weak opponents and aren't in the mix nationally during the season, but even PAC-12 teams are encountering that in the current TV landscape. I recall being told BYU would rarely play on weekends, but that hasn't proven to be the case.

BYU also extended their series with Stanford from 4 games (starting this year) to 8 games to be played by 2035.

BYU will also play in an ESPN-sponsored bowl game in 2020, 2022, and 2024. Their TV deal was extended another 7 years (no financial details provided). They will play in the Independence Bowl in 2021, 2023 and 2025. If the Big Ten or Big XII can't fill a spot in the Cheez-It Bowl, BYU can fill that spot twice during this period, once in a year they are in an ESPN bowl and once when they are in the Independence Bowl.

Independence and Utah performing well in the PAC 12 have really hurt BYU in recruiting. They don't play for any conference honors. But I've liked that they've played all over the place and played teams they normally wouldn't get to play. If they can put together a great season, it would be really helpful when the next round of TV negotiations come up and conferences possibly start realigning again. Independence isn't the greatest, but I personally think it's better than if they'd stayed in the MWC.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Except that Michigan State is one of the teams someone here (I can't remember who, but I want to say Travis) said would definitely cancel the contract and never make the trip to Provo. So... we've got that going for us.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
This was either another poster, in a different version of the simulation, or so long ago that I cared about footbaw!

Prolly this. You definitely don't care like you used to. Kind of makes it hard for me to say "See?! I told you it would work out!" But them's the breaks!

Understand I was only reporting their bowl contracts. Not necessarily celebrating it. Although potentially playing in Shreveport means I might be able to attend without too much hassle, so I'm good with that.

have they announced a training program to discourage dirty plays intended to end careers?

They did. I'm sure you knew about it since you were invited and it's totally not a trap or anything.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Prolly this. You definitely don't care like you used to. Kind of makes it hard for me to say "See?! I told you it would work out!" But them's the breaks!

Understand I was only reporting their bowl contracts. Not necessarily celebrating it. Although potentially playing in Shreveport means I might be able to attend without too much hassle, so I'm good with that.

They did. I'm sure you knew about it since you were invited and it's totally not a trap or anything.

Talking about visiting Shreveport is literally the secret code phrase my cousin and I developed to let each-other know if we are having suicidal ideations.

I always figured BYU, Utah, TCU, and Boise should leave the MWC and everyone else should drop to IAA or FCS or whatever they call it these days. I'd rather be If I did say something about big schools backing out of contracts, it wasn't to rip on BYU either, I just hate the FAT CAT HAVES.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Theo Howard tore his Achilles. That really sucks, man. He had a lot of talent and I bet he would’ve excelled at OU.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Mark D'Antonio with the all-time gangster move.

Gonna get busted for recruiting violations, so he "retires" about 2 weeks after collecting a $4.3 MM bonus and 1 day before national signing day.

-YTC