• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Corches Hot Seat Thread 2018

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
CU was 5-0 to start the season, and they're now 5-5. Including losing to Oregon State, which was the first time OSU had won on the road since beating CU in 2014. He's probably improved CU back to being a .500 team or so, but they've had more than 2 Pac 12 wins once in his 5 years there (I'm assuming they won't beat Utah or Cal this year).

He probably should have tried to jump ship in 2016 for a better program.

Renegade

Charge on!
CU was 5-0 to start the season, and they're now 5-5. Including losing to Oregon State, which was the first time OSU had won on the road since beating CU in 2014. He's probably improved CU back to being a .500 team or so, but they've had more than 2 Pac 12 wins once in his 5 years there (I'm assuming they won't beat Utah or Cal this year).

He probably should have tried to jump ship in 2016 for a better program.

Jim Leavitt was mostly responsible for the one PAC12 South title. CU went back in the dumpster when he left for Oregon.

I know CU has to recruit mostly out of state, but they should be better than they are. No reason the Arizona schools or teams like K-State and Iowa State should be better than them.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Jim Leavitt was mostly responsible for the one PAC12 South title. CU went back in the dumpster when he left for Oregon.

That's true, but CU also had a ton of talent on that 2016 team. The defense had 5 people drafted on it, which is crazy for CU. They also lost a senior QB who made that offense work.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I've always been a Vols fan, but two other teams have stolen my heart over the years. 1985 Auburn with Bo. I was a Tennessee ball boy for one season and was fortunate enough for it to be 1985. He gave me a wristband and I was a fan ever since. The other team was the 1990 Buffaloes. They played the Vols the first game of the season and played to a 31-31 tie. That fucking I-bone with Darian Hagan and Eric Bienemy was just a thing to behold. Loved it.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I wonder if CU will try to bring Bill McCartney back again. There was some serious talk about that before McIntyre was hired, if I remember correctly. That would be insane, but fitting with how CU has approached its recent coaching hires.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I wonder if CU will try to bring Bill McCartney back again. There was some serious talk about that before McIntyre was hired, if I remember correctly. That would be insane, but fitting with how CU has approached its recent coaching hires.
Isn’t he like 90?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, probably. There's not really any fertile recruiting ground that close. The best CU teams have always had a lot of players from Texas and California, so if CU can't draw players from there, it's going to be a struggle. Leaving the Big 12 probably didn't help with recruiting in Texas. Colorado, while improving, does not have enough high school talent to sustain a power 5 program. It doesn't help that the top recruits from Colorado normally go out of state on top of all that.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Yeah, probably. There's not really any fertile recruiting ground that close. The best CU teams have always had a lot of players from Texas and California, so if CU can't draw players from there, it's going to be a struggle. Leaving the Big 12 probably didn't help with recruiting in Texas. Colorado, while improving, does not have enough high school talent to sustain a power 5 program. It doesn't help that the top recruits from Colorado normally go out of state on top of all that.

@DeadMan, Michigan is among the blue bloods, but has the decline in the fortunes (and population) of industrial Michigan hurt UM's recruiting over the past few decades? I would imagine that during the 50s and 60s, when Detroit and other auto industry-related towns were booming, that Michigan was as fertile a recruiting ground as Florida, Texas, and California are now.

But I'm guessing that Michigan, like other bluebloods, has such a big name that their recruiting base is essentially national in nature.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
@DeadMan, Michigan is among the blue bloods, but has the decline in the fortunes (and population) of industrial Michigan hurt UM's recruiting over the past few decades? I would imagine that during the 50s and 60s, when Detroit and other auto industry-related towns were booming, that Michigan was as fertile a recruiting ground as Florida, Texas, and California are now.

But I'm guessing that Michigan, like other bluebloods, has such a big name that their recruiting base is essentially national in nature.

I can't speak with a ton of authority to Michigan's recruiting base when Detroit was booming, but I don't think population changes has hurt Michigan more than any other northern program. Michigan always recruited a ton of players from surrounding states, especially Ohio. They also have strong recruiting in nearby states like Illinois and Pennsylvania. Michigan has maybe pivoted to more national recruiting to make up for slightly less fertile ground in Michigan, but I don't know for sure. The difference between a place like Michigan and Colorado is that the regional recruiting area in Michigan is much stronger. It takes almost as long to drive from Boulder to Omaha as it does to drive from Ann Arbor to Philadelphia.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

I can't speak with a ton of authority to Michigan's recruiting base when Detroit was booming, but I don't think population changes has hurt Michigan more than any other northern program. Michigan always recruited a ton of players from surrounding states, especially Ohio. They also have strong recruiting in nearby states like Illinois and Pennsylvania. Michigan has maybe pivoted to more national recruiting to make up for slightly less fertile ground in Michigan, but I don't know for sure. The difference between a place like Michigan and Colorado is that the regional recruiting area in Michigan is much stronger. It takes almost as long to drive from Boulder to Omaha as it does to drive from Ann Arbor to Philadelphia.

And they have a strong enough name to go into Florida, Texas, or California and poach a kid or two if need be.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I would think that Michigan (like Notre Dame) basically has a national recruiting base, due to their brand recognition. So, the overall population shift away from the Rust Belt probably hasn't (strongly) affected UM, ND, Ohio State, Penn State.

I suppose it might be a different story for the smaller, less recognized schools in the region which once could count on a relatively abundant number of prospects that weren't picked up by the big-name schools. Schools like Illinois, Purdue, the Michigan directional schools, Pitt, etc.

Bdub

I think most mediocre and better power 5 schools can pull kids from anywhere in the country at this point. I mean Utah has at least 5 kids including the starting QB, RB and WR from Florida. If Utah of all places can get kids out of what might as well be another world, Colorado can do the same.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, Wazzu has a bunch of kids from Florida too. CAREBEAR COUNTY is crazy white, but CU should be able to recruit better when they’re historically a pretty good program and are in a well liked college town right near a major city

CU has never finished above 8th in the Pac-12 in recruiting and has finished last four times under Mac. That’s horrible. It would be one thing if they were being developed, but...lol

bruin

So much south OC poon went to Boulder or Fort Collins when I was in school. Remarkable really.

Not sure what Colorado can do. Lure of the program just isn't there. Even when they "won" the South, the Bowls picked SC to go to the Rose Bowl instead because Washington went to the playoff. That was telling.

First call would be to Dino Babers, dough.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Big victory for Louisville with the sacking of Petrino. Somewhere in the NFL, Lamar Jackson is laughing....

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
So much south OC poon went to Boulder or Fort Collins when I was in school. Remarkable really.

Not sure what Colorado can do. Lure of the program just isn't there. Even when they "won" the South, the Bowls picked SC to go to the Rose Bowl instead because Washington went to the playoff. That was telling.

First call would be to Dino Babers, dough.
Second call should be to Chris Ash

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Some OU fan on r/cfb was sperging out about how WE are paying for the stadium expansion, so WE should get the candidate WE want. Lol yeah, fan run corch searches sound great

CORCH CROOT

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Why would he go there just to fail lol

Not a chance in hell he takes that job.

Maybe, maybe not. I just want OU/Riley to show they care at least a little about defense, no matter who they hire. Nowhere for this unit to go but up.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
There’s a guy who coordinated a title winning defense for a Big 12 team on the market

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Smiles will probably win a natty at Kansas before Self wins another at the rate they are going

Love these two tidbits: Smiles would be the only Big 12 corch with a title, and Kansas would be the only active school with coaches that have titles in both football and basketball.